Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

The Who...the end??
Posted by: ablett ()
Date: March 23, 2005 15:50

Is this the end of the Who....imaging letting your drummer go to Oasis of all bands!

Statement on Townshends site:

The new Who album has been delayed, not cancelled. The release date I had hoped for in the late spring or very early summer was whipped from under my nose after three years of writing. Shows we hoped to do in the early summer seemed to fizzle, and we lost our drummer to Oasis until January 2006. All alternatives proposed, and which I have desperately considered, do not fit in with my current commitments. I am committed to record the music for my new story The Boy Who Heard Music. I am also completing my autobiography later this year. Sadly, this forces a postponement of the planned Who activity this year for some indeterminate time.

I had lots of plans, but no hard schedule. And that is what has created this predicament. It’s probably my fault, because I work very slowly in the studio, and either no one believed I was actually recording, or they got tired of waiting. I should say that Roger has done what he calls sketch vocals on several tracks I produced, and the results are very exciting. But I feel I can’t tour any more with the Who without a new record. So until that record is actually in my hands, I must hold my breath and live in hope.

Re: The Who...the end??
Posted by: sjs12 ()
Date: March 23, 2005 16:22

Isn't Kenny Jones free to stand in?

Date: March 23, 2005 16:59

Doesn't Daltry hate him? To be honest I dread any album when the whole of the rythmn sections gone!

Posted by: bv ()
Date: March 23, 2005 17:41

It must be hard to run a band when half of the members are missing, and also when they haven't really done much during the past 30 or so years. My favorite is "Who's Next" but that must be 1971 or something.

Bjornulf

Posted by: R ()
Date: March 23, 2005 17:53

It's almost a relief the album and tour is delayed. I LOVED the Who with Zak (the reincarnated Keith Moon) Starkey on drums. Their 2000 tour here in the states was fabulous but their 2002 jaunt without Entwhistle just seemed like a forced issue.

I saw them w/ Moon but never with Kenny Jones. I can't picture him as their drummer.

Posted by: spikey ()
Date: March 23, 2005 18:58

Yeah, Daltry has said some pretty nasty things about Kenny Jones. I didn't see 2002. A friend went and was really unhappy. I've seen every other tour since 1979 though, and thought that they were probably better in recent years than at any of the past shows that I saw. Zak really fit them like a glove.

Wish I could have seen Moon . . .

Posted by: john r ()
Date: March 23, 2005 19:38

Kenny is a fantastic drummer (check out any Small Faces or Faces album), and a cultural peer, but seemed to negate his own style on the last 2 Who albums, both of which were imo very weak. Too bad the Who didnt use Moon's death as an opportunity to evolve - instead of getting more bombastic - before breaking up after Its Hard.

Posted by: Jackass ()
Date: March 23, 2005 19:43

Who Cares!

Posted by: Han ()
Date: March 23, 2005 22:07

Jackass Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Who Cares!

Anyone except a jackass.

Roger didn't hate Kenney, he just didn't think he was the right drummer for the Who and that they should have used the hiatus caused by Moonie's death to move in a new direction.

You might have to scrape me off the floor at the end of the tour, but it'll be really good scrapings. - Mick Jagger

Posted by: davido ()
Date: March 23, 2005 23:11

i for one look forward to the next Who tour and
new album whenever it may be. They, the Stones and
Beatles have always been my holy trinity of rock.

Posted by: rovalle ()
Date: March 23, 2005 23:56

no wonder you use the name jackass...anyway it's too bad it's come to this with the who....keith moon was the greatest rock 'n roll drummer (when he wanted to be) i ever saw...the ox was effin' brilliant....what a rhythm section...moon's start up on "can't explain" still knocks me out as well as his intro on "young man blues" s**t it just keeps fadin' away, don't it?

Posted by: Kurt ()
Date: March 24, 2005 16:32

No offense to BV, but it should be relatively easy to own and operate a "band" of two people. Pete should write a song, call Roger to sing in studio, and find some available musicians to tour off of it.
Do I think that The Who should carry on??
NO.
If they want to make more music, fine.
Maybe the new album will be called "Who's Left"
But, Who the @#$%& am I?

Date: March 24, 2005 16:54

Exactly!

Posted by: rovalle ()
Date: March 24, 2005 18:11

who's left or who's right...that's effin' awesome kurt on dead on!!!

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: March 24, 2005 20:02

They should call themselves BOO- WHO.

The band pretty much ended when Keith Moon died.

Then the recent tragic death of the OX was definitely the final nail in the coffin as far as I'm concerned.
They are now a mockery of their former selves.

I used to love them, but it's all over now...Boo-Who...

Hopefully Mick and Keith would never stoop so low.

Posted by: LOGIE ()
Date: March 24, 2005 20:17

I urge anyone with even the remotest interest in the Who, to check out the "Live in Boston" DVD from 2004. Beats anything from the Licks tour.

Long may they continue.

Posted by: davido ()
Date: March 24, 2005 23:41

Moon and the Ox were an essential part
of the original Who but Townshend and Daltry
can carry on, just like Page + Plant, or if
worst come to worst Jagger + Richards. Of
course it isn't ideal but anything at this
stage, for all of the above, is a bonus,
so I'd say long may they rock! They've
got no reason to throw in the towel now,
nor to release an album or go on tour
when they don't want to! All power
to them. Enjoy.

Posted by: Havo ()
Date: March 24, 2005 23:54

the who???---I saw them in 81 or82 in Essen--(germany)Rockpalast!!
great show.
The greatest Rock band---beside the STONES

Posted by: mr_c_ox ()
Date: March 25, 2005 00:11

I've only seen the who three times. once with Entwistle and twice last year with Pino Pallidino standing in. They always performed an amazing job and outperfomred the stones shows i have seen!

Kenney Jones was brilliant the other week with Ronnie Wood, lets hope the Faces do someday reform.

Posted by: spikey ()
Date: March 25, 2005 15:38

Belive me, there are many Stones fans who think it should have ended when Brian Jones was given the boot. I guess we would have missed out on some good stuff, wouldn't we?

Posted by: Milo Yammbag ()
Date: March 26, 2005 08:00

They should rename themselves "The Two"

Milo, NYC
I said hey

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1692
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home