Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123456789Next
Current Page: 8 of 9
Re: Boston-2 June 14 Stones show live updates
Posted by: KatieGirl ()
Date: June 16, 2013 19:55

Doxa
KatieGirl
RoughJusticeOnYa
proudmary

I don't agree,hbwriter. there are plenty and plenty people who love Mick , it's just people who love KR do it more aggressively, with the push like they want to prove something. I think these different approaches depend on the personality of the "object of love" himself

...Awerightie!! "Blame Keith", round gazillion. hot smiley

Who exàctly is "pushing to prove something", I sometimes wonder.
As HBwriter said, people respect Mick, they love Keith. Mick's mistake was to think he was bigger than the Stones, back in the '80's, at the start of their war, IMO. Keith always knew he wasn't, the Stones were about the sum of their disparate parts. The betrayal he felt at Mick wanting a solo career, and the musical direction Mick wanted to go in, always being "relevant" and following the latest trend, are, IMO, what led up to Life. It's that old "vision" thing. While I can respect Mick, and you certainly can't have the Stones without his distinctive vocals, I love Keith (personal failings and all!) |There's a warmth there that Mick doesn't seem to have. Of course, this is all based on not ever having met either of them, which shows you how much I know!

With that drive to be contemporary Jagger lead this band about 20 years to incredible heights. That he lost that instinct during the eighties should not be a reason to belittle his merits earlier. Keith either was not so conservative during the early part of their career.

That Jagger wanted to go solo, has every much to do with with Keith's stubborn and irrational behavior as Mick's wish to be artistically independent and forward-going. The most of the Stones fans naturally teamed up with Keith's conservatism. Me too. Jagger also understood that later, and gave us the "classical" Stones we wanted. There has not been so much money in the rock and roll ever than in the nostalgia market, as the rock and roll generations got elder and wealthier.

- Doxa
Was I belittling Mick's merits Doxa? I don't think so, and that was not my intent. Cheers.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: June 16, 2013 20:08

KatieGirl
Doxa
KatieGirl
RoughJusticeOnYa
proudmary

I don't agree,hbwriter. there are plenty and plenty people who love Mick , it's just people who love KR do it more aggressively, with the push like they want to prove something. I think these different approaches depend on the personality of the "object of love" himself

As HBwriter said, people respect Mick, they love Keith. Mick's mistake was to think he was bigger than the Stones, back in the '80's, at the start of their war, IMO. Keith always knew he wasn't, the Stones were about the sum of their disparate parts. The betrayal he felt at Mick wanting a solo career, and the musical direction Mick wanted to go in, always being "relevant" and following the latest trend, are, IMO, what led up to Life. It's that old "vision" thing. While I can respect Mick, and you certainly can't have the Stones without his distinctive vocals, I love Keith (personal failings and all!) |There's a warmth there that Mick doesn't seem to have. Of course, this is all based on not ever having met either of them, which shows you how much I know!

With that drive to be contemporary Jagger lead this band about 20 years to incredible heights. That he lost that instinct during the eighties should not be a reason to belittle his merits earlier. Keith either was not so conservative during the early part of their career.

That Jagger wanted to go solo, has every much to do with with Keith's stubborn and irrational behavior as Mick's wish to be artistically independent and forward-going. The most of the Stones fans naturally teamed up with Keith's conservatism. Me too. Jagger also understood that later, and gave us the "classical" Stones we wanted. There has not been so much money in the rock and roll ever than in the nostalgia market, as the rock and roll generations got elder and wealthier.

- Doxa
Was I belittling Mick's merits Doxa? I don't think so, and that was not my intent. Cheers.

No, but those features - being relevant and following the trends - was nothing unusual for Jagger. That what he always did. Seemingly for Stones fans that was alright during the 60's and 70's but not any longer in the 80's.

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-06-16 20:09 by Doxa.

Posted by: Rokyfan ()
Date: June 16, 2013 20:17

Doxa

No, but those features - being relevant and following the trends - was nothing unusual for Jagger. That what he always did. Seemingly for Stones fans that was alright during the 60's and 70's but not any longer in the 80's.

- Doxa

Certain fans like to repeat things that, for example, Keith has said, as if it were their own observation. This is an example, it's just parroting keith. It's like when fans here refer to Mick as Brenda, or refer to Dogshit in the Doorway. It just sounds dumb. Your observation is of course correct as it relates to the Stones music and trends.

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: June 16, 2013 21:45

angee
stonehearted, I'm happy for you that you saw your first show now!! you describe each number
with such deep affection and knowledge.

er, someone help me with a rationale for the band playing CYHMK in Philly Tuesday night!!!

Thanks, angee! And congratulations on the book (The Rolling Stones: Sociological Perspectives). I'll definitely pick up a copy at some point.

Regarding CYHMK, I wouldn't be surprised if they set this one aside for the end of the U.S. leg and brought out Love In Vain instead, since they did play this at Echoplex in LA. I would bet on the second show in Philly for this one, and/or perhaps even the last show of the U.S. leg.

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: June 16, 2013 21:53

Rolling Hansie
stonehearted
My first-ever Stones concert.

Congratulations. I'm glad you had such a good time.

Thanks, Hansie! Hope you folks in Europe get to see them soon as well. Surely they wouldn't restrict their anniversary celebrations to just the U.S., Canada, and UK, as Europe also played a large part in their early success.

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: June 16, 2013 22:35

stonehearted
Rolling Hansie
stonehearted
My first-ever Stones concert.

Congratulations. I'm glad you had such a good time.

Thanks, Hansie! Hope you folks in Europe get to see them soon as well. Surely they wouldn't restrict their anniversary celebrations to just the U.S., Canada, and UK, as Europe also played a large part in their early success.

a large part

They did their first concert in our country before they conquer the ....well the rest is history

Date: June 16, 2013 22:40

stonesrule
JMarko, were you at the gig or did you watch the videos?

I'm confused as to was this a geat show?...people crying tears for Keith etc.

I like to believe the good stuff but it's difficult to know who to believe.

I first heard the Stones around the time of the release of Dirty Work and then got hooked on Undercover. The band has been a somewhat unhealthy obsession since then. I am however not one to spend big bucks on concerts and this was my 4th Stones show. I first saw the Stones in Dallas during the Voodoo Lounge tour at the stadium then known as Cotton Bowl, and then in St.Louis in 97 and last in 2002 at Foxboro. Each time I was in a far corner of the stadium

I hadn't originally intended to go see the Stones this time around. I usually find myself somewhat alienated from the typical classic rock concert goer (validated this time as well by a drunk xenophobic jackass - a terrific crowd overall but all it takes is one rotten apple) and felt that the stadium experience too distant.

I made it to this particular show thanks to tutone who sold me one of his $85 tickets at face value. TUTONE - thanks for the ticket - as promised, I will send you a copy of Brussels Affair very soon. You will enjoy it - you're a terrific guy and great fan.

We go in and are assigned a seat all the way on top in the absolute last row - BAL306 Row 15 - seat 12. We go all the way up there and this security guard shows up and starts distributing better tickets. He hands us 2 $600 tickets all the way down in LOGE2 row 7 seat 16 - pretty near the stage. I was ecstatic. I had never imagined I would see the Stones up close and personal.

As an entertainment experience I will not forget this show and I was as close as I could expect to be. Thanks again TUTONE. The experience was wonderful; I was smiling and singing all along.

It has now been 2 1/2 days since the show and as I look back and evaluate the musical experience, I again feel what I have felt for a long time about the Stones. For me, the excitement and the anticipation before the drums, the opening chords of Get Off Of My Cloud and Jagger's leap onto the stage was actually far greater than the musical delivery by the band. Song after song, the prospect of hearing those opening riffs was actually much greater than what was to follow.

For years, I have been hearing various bootlegs of live shows and then youtube videos and the bands official live releases. As much as the Stones are postulated to be this amazingly, great live band, the live band post 73 has never done much for me and since Goats Head Soup, I have always preferred the studio band to the live band (with the exception of Keith and the Winos who I felt were a great live band in a small setting and had significantly breathed life onto a weak studio output)

For me, the sonic experience at this concert actually validated this pre- sentiment. I still prefer the studio band to the live band. Post 1973, the bar room rock-n- roll sound of the Stones has according to me never translated well on the big stage. At this concert, the highlights for me were Doom and Gloom, Whip, Ronnie Wood on All down the line. The guitars were fairly upfront in the mix but despite this relatively stripped down version of the band, it is clear that Chuck and his keyboards, the horn section, the backup singer and Charlie all do the hard work of maintaining the tempo. Midnight Rambler was well executed and Taylors presence was welcome. As the song winded down to a close, the large photo of him in the backdrop stayed on the screen for a few extra seconds. It was obvious that he was not coming back for Sway or CYHMK. You could seem him hanging around in the back sometimes during the rest of the show and during Satisfaction he finally ambled back on stage awkwardly but had little to do with the song.

Ronnie Wood has clearly emerged as the knave in Jagger's court. The love for Richards was indeed palpable when he sang his lines to Memory Motel. Keith Richards manages to be present and appropriately deliver the opening riffs expected of him but there is ZERO wow factor. Even You got the Silver, which Richards pulls off on his worst day was somewhat tired and lame. The Jagger -Richards interaction is virtually non-existent. At one point during Sympathy - they both met halfway, made eye contact for a few seconds and followed it up with some somewhat aggressive posturing and then went in opposite directions.

Before the show, this guy in front of us (me and TUTONE) asked about the online audience vote for a song and I somewhat cynically said, it would be Memory Motel. When Jagger started out the show by noting that the Bruins went triple overtime on Wednesday, I had the faint expectation that there would be some surprises towards the end; but the band didn’t stray from the script. Of course, we are to believe that the audience voted for Memory Motel and the band ended the show with one encore and Satisfaction.

And finally Mick Jagger... the first and the last truly original rock star - yes - there doesn’t seem to be as much love for him as there is for Richards - how can there be? - How can you love something that is beholden to wonder - he is inhuman in the midst of ~15000 fans who are mostly middle aged and pot bellied - at an age in their life where there is little left to aspire for. How can you love this guy - he is not one of us - not a mere mortal. It is so much easier to simply label him as an energiser bunny.

I will probably not see this band again on stage but thanks to tutone, for me it was a joyous occasion, entertaining and unforgettable and a reminder as why I still visit this site everyday and listen to the band almost everyday.

Posted by: elunsi ()
Date: June 16, 2013 23:03

KatieGirl
RoughJusticeOnYa
proudmary

I don´t think that "people" only respect Mick but love Keith. I think it has a lot to do with Keith´s two songs. If Mick was the one who sings only two songs in a show than he would get a the biggest applause.
Proudmary is right. Keith´s fans are far more aggressive than Mick´s fans, as Keith is more than Mick. And all this Mick vs Keith thing comes really from Keith fans.

It´s not the right place here to discuss that, but how do you know that Mick thougth he is bigger than the Stones? I think many reasons led to the decision to make a solo record. But I think Doxa gave a very good answer to that already.

Date: June 16, 2013 23:33

Keith vs. Mick comes from Keith fans??confused smiley
Btw, I don't think there are many "Mick fans" or "Keith fans", really.

The band is old and so are we - we are fans of the band.

It's impossible to read anything out of the applause on MM. But Keith is applauded for coming back after brain surgery, addictions and a newfound interest for performing again, I guess.

Of course all Stones fans love Mick!

Posted by: andrewt ()
Date: June 17, 2013 01:13

Wanderingspirit66, thanks for the thoughtful, eloquent and detailed review. smileys with beer

Posted by: andrewt ()
Date: June 17, 2013 01:15

DandelionPowderman
Matt Clifford? Sure it wasn't Tim Ries??

Whoops, that's one hell of a Freudian slip on my part!!!

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: June 17, 2013 02:01

DandelionPowderman

It's impossible to read anything out of the applause on MM. But Keith is applauded for coming back after brain surgery, addictions and a newfound interest for performing again, I guess.

what I read from the applause...is that people like the Glimmers harmonizing...some of the best songs are either Mick on Vocal with Keith clearly on back up or Keith on Vocal with Mick on back up....the warmth and meshing of their two voices together are a big part of the Stones sound....one or both just don't seem to be too interested in pursuing that anymore on a regular basis....so the sentimentality of the moment isn't lost on older fans...that's my take.

Posted by: mickschix ()
Date: June 17, 2013 03:03

Very funny, Bliss! cool smiley I still think Mick, regardless of his intentions, CAN BE very approachable and sweet and I'm guessing it depends on whether or not you ask for anything from him. He is a natural charmer and I did not even ask for an autograph and instead I had a gift for him. Caught him totally off guard!! ! But back to the topic of the 2 camps: Yes, Slew, LIFE did a lot to piss off fans. It's all old history, no need to regugitate, but it did a tremendous amount of harm to the relationship between himself and Mick, obviously, but also to fans in general. He's LUCKY Mick still shares the stage with him!!( We're LUCKY!!) Economically, the band is lucky Mick is the BIGGER PERSON of the two and he decided to move on and tour again.
Still, dreamer that I am, when Keith started HAPPY, all I could think of was how wonderful it would be for all of us to see Mick come charging out from backstage and share the microphone with him. I think I would have passed out...missed the entire number! For those of us that actually witnessed that, we are a rare few and very lucky!

Posted by: bv ()
Date: June 17, 2013 03:52

I think it is time to bring some extra thanks to Charlie Watts!

And I suppose this is the inspiration for his great orange color taste:

Bjornulf

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-06-17 03:53 by bv.

Posted by: mickschix ()
Date: June 17, 2013 04:03

Very cool, BV! Thanks!

Posted by: sonomastone ()
Date: June 17, 2013 05:44

Doxa
KatieGirl
RoughJusticeOnYa
proudmary

- Doxa

About 20 years ago jagger led the band to extraordinary heights? That would be around 1993 - are you talking about voodoo lounge? Perhaps you mean 35 years ago?

Date: June 17, 2013 09:59

I think he meant that Jagger led the band to incredible heights FOR 20 years.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: June 17, 2013 11:30

DandelionPowderman
I think he meant that Jagger led the band to incredible heights FOR 20 years.

Yep.

- Doxa

Posted by: Bliss ()
Date: June 17, 2013 15:02

Rip This
DandelionPowderman

what I read from the applause...is that people like the Glimmers harmonizing...some of the best songs are either Mick on Vocal with Keith clearly on back up or Keith on Vocal with Mick on back up....the warmth and meshing of their two voices together are a big part of the Stones sound....one or both just don't seem to be too interested in pursuing that anymore on a regular basis....so the sentimentality of the moment isn't lost on older fans...that's my take.

That's a lovely memory, and I am glad you had that experience. You might recall that I too am one of 'Mick's chicks' and always have been. But there's no denying that Mick has to be approached carefully, with no expectations.

Posted by: steverogan ()
Date: June 17, 2013 15:33

Here is Memory Motel from Boston.. Not as smooth as I'd like but I hope you enjoy it.

Here's Gimmee Shelter:

Satisfaction with final bows:

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2013-06-18 06:13 by steverogan.

Posted by: KatieGirl ()
Date: June 17, 2013 22:52

That's a lovely memory, and I am glad you had that experience. You might recall that I too am one of 'Mick's chicks' and always have been. But there's no denying that Mick has to be approached carefully, with no expectations.[/quote] Dear Bliss, you must be quite amused at some of our pronouncements and psychological observations like we actually personally knew them!

Posted by: drwatts ()
Date: June 18, 2013 00:04

Thanks for the Charlie pictures!! The classiest man in rock'n'roll! Drum roll plllease...

Posted by: BeautifulBuzz ()
Date: June 18, 2013 00:21

More Photos: The Rolling Stones - Boston, Mass.

[www.pastemagazine.com]

Highs,Lows & missed opportunity in Boston
Posted by: saturn57 ()
Date: June 18, 2013 05:36

Overall I thought both shows were great. I'm still excited. Mick is still the ultimate frontman that all aspire to, & I still don't know how Charlie with which looks like a simple flick of the wrist gets such booming sounds.

Highs:
Ronnie Wood -His playing has been awesome, he had so much energy & enthusiasm. It looked like 1978 Ronnie.
Lisa Fisher - Her vocals are always great, but I thought on Wednesday she reached back & and gave it all she had on Gimme Shelter.
Going Down: what a blast. As the song went on it just got better & better. Stones at their best when they play the blues.
Sway & Memory Motel - seldom played gems.
Set Lists - Love how they mix up some songs.
Keith on Sympathy on Wed nite. Thought that was the best he played,
Mick being Mick. 'Nuff said.
Charlie's outstanding druming on both shows.
Bobby Keyes

Lows:
Keith taking many songs off. On Going down, there was a part when Wood,Clark Richadrs were lined up across the stage. Keith watching & smiling, not playing, while Ronnie & Gary exchanged riffs. Wish Keith was more engaged.

On Fri nite had row 1 in the balcony & could also see back stage. During the encore of JFF Mick Taylor just sitting there watching the band. He looked so sad. After the show my daughter said, did you see that guy (Taylor) sitting backstage, he looked sad.

Missed Opportunity:
Besides not enough Taylor, During Happy, not having Mick J stroll to microphone, hands on hips, sharing chorus with Keith.
Memory Motel - Keith on piano.

Too bad the Glimmer Twins have so much baggage between them. sad smiley

It's so very lonely, you're 2,000 Light Years from home

Re: Highs,Lows & missed opportunity in Boston
Posted by: Koen ()
Date: June 18, 2013 05:42

saturn57
During Happy, not having Mick J stroll to microphone, hands on hips, sharing chorus with Keith.
Memory Motel - Keith on piano.

Too bad the Glimmer Twins have so much baggage between them. sad smiley

Jagger has been off stage during Richards' two-song set for decades now to have a mid-show break. Why do you think this has to do with 'baggage' ?

Posted by: jazzbass ()
Date: June 18, 2013 05:56

I've been told from a friend that spoke with Mick T in Chicago and apparently he is very content with the amount of stage time he is getting.

Posted by: ab ()
Date: June 18, 2013 06:03

Did you expect Taylor to tell bite the hand that feeds him? He's smart enough to know that he needs to keep any discontent about how much stage time he gets to himself. This is surely his best payday in decades, probably since his tour with Bob Dylan in 1984.

Posted by: saturn57 ()
Date: June 18, 2013 06:07

Mick & Keith have very little interaction now. That was not always the case. Mick interacts more with Ronnie now. If Mick really needed a break they could work something else out. Mick & Keith side by side during Happy was classic Mick & Keith.

It's so very lonely, you're 2,000 Light Years from home

Date: June 18, 2013 12:57

saturn57
Mick & Keith have very little interaction now. That was not always the case. Mick interacts more with Ronnie now. If Mick really needed a break they could work something else out. Mick & Keith side by side during Happy was classic Mick & Keith.

Posted by: marclaff ()
Date: June 18, 2013 14:14

Short footage
[www.facebook.com]

Goto Page: Previous123456789Next
Current Page: 8 of 9

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1675
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home