Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123456789Next
Current Page: 7 of 9
Re: Boston-2 June 14 Stones show live updates
Posted by: Thrylan ()
Date: June 16, 2013 15:05

Keith IS the Stones.....people get that.

Posted by: oma ()
Date: June 16, 2013 15:24

Thrylan
Keith IS the Stones.....people get that.

he gets better, can use his fingers now

Posted by: andrewt ()
Date: June 16, 2013 15:40

JMARKO
oldschool
Least appealing? I was at Wednesdays show which was decent but the boys seemed a little disjointed and out of sync. Last night they were as tight as I have seen them since the BtB tour IMHO.

Just a fantastic show last night performance wise.

Strongly disagree here. Both Whip and Memory Motel suffered from horrible missed changes at points that help define both songs. Also missed changes in Miss You which is a sleepwalk to begin with. Inexcusable for a band with their pedigree.

One More Shot was also a horrible mess - Mick's voice seemed to be going in this one. Is he getting sick?

All Down The Line is still taken at too slow a tempo and several points where Keith was not playing and the guitar sound was simply void.

I was offended again by the band's choice to use backup singers offstage on the opening numbers. This is such a bush league, cheap move. Hearing vocals -female!-while Mick is not singing just appears so ridiculous to me. I also noticed a few spots where he was giving the impression of singing while the backups were clearly doing the work.

Taylor is still not playing anything dynamic or fitting in his first solo in Rambler, it's just a mish mash of mostly in-key licks. But there's no flow or build. He comes on fine in the second half of the song - one of the few highlights of the night.

I have no idea what he contributes to Satisfaction. Couldn't hear a thing he was playing. All he was doing was meandering around, complaining about his sound/volume, trying embarrassingly poorly to sing back ups with Darryl - he always went to his mic at the wrong time. And he keeps looking at Keith or Mick like he doesn't know when or what to play. The U.S. leg of this tour is almost over. I'd have thought he'd have a part down by now.

They do absolutely nothing with Emotional Rescue. Starts and finishes on the same level. The groove, riff, vocals are all half-hearted IMHO. They really don't work this song like they could. And I don't know why Mick alters the "pet Pekingese" lyric. Speaking of which - far too much looking down at the TelePrompter on Mick's behalf. Seriously?

Some high points during Shelter, Whip sounded good and had energy, but the missed change really suffered. Happy and Rambler cooked in their later stages. Doom and Gloom showed energy as well. Keith actually nailed the intro to Brown Sugar and Jumping Jack Flash was sensational from beginning to end.

Ronnie, Charlie and Darryl are playing their asses off. Thankfully I could hear very little of Chuck. And Keith is taking a lot of songs off(seriously, why does he bother holding that guitar during You Got The Silver??? Times Ike that highlight the absence of Blondie on this tour).

One of the highlights for me was their use of the local choir. What an amazing moment for those people. And they sound great, though Lisa seems to overpower them during the body of the song which is unfortunate. I only hope the Stones are decent enough to show up for the rehearsal for this nightly number as opposed to sending Bernard or Chuck or Matt Clifford. They deserve a special audience with the band and the recognition.

I've seen the Stones close to 30 times since 1989. This was definitely one of the lesser performances.

Thanks for providing some balance to the reports. It helps with the overall impression. There's the buzz of seeing your favourite band live, which we can all relate to, and that's always fun to hear about, but then there's also the frustrating inconsistency. How a song as straight forward as IORR manages to get botched on a nightly basis is beyond me. Thanks for calling out the BG vox at the start- it exposes the false notion that this is somehow "stripped down". (On Worried About You in Toronto- as much as I loved it- I couldn't help but notice there were more keyboard players than guitarists on stage...yes Matt Clifford snuck in there). Anyways, sounds like it was a good show as far as this tour goes and I'm glad they played Whip. I can't help but think how much better it could be if the band was more of a band offstage and actually worked on refining the show outside of soundcheck.

Date: June 16, 2013 16:01

Matt Clifford? Sure it wasn't Tim Ries??

Posted by: svt22 ()
Date: June 16, 2013 16:20

JMARKO

One of the highlights for me was their use of the local choir.

I couldn't agree more. Besides, Jagger probably doesn't have to pay them.

Posted by: laertisflash ()
Date: June 16, 2013 16:36

Jmarko, your review prompted me to see once again the clips from Boston-2. I strongly disagree with you. The standard of the gig was really high, IMO. But, i know, after all it's a matter of taste. (For example, i didn't like many of the 1978 band's performances...)

Date: June 16, 2013 16:41

Keith started noodling in the wrong key when they were just about to start the bridge in Whip. Apart from that there were no problems. Certainly not on MM, apart from a bum note from Chuck. At least with the songs mentioned here.

Posted by: laertisflash ()
Date: June 16, 2013 17:04

Sometimes i gather that, if some fans were in the mood for analyzing every single note and every single moment with such a "severity", from the beginning of Stones career, then they would rate even 1972-73 performances as "mediocre"...

Date: June 16, 2013 17:04

DandelionPowderman
Keith started noodling in the wrong key when they were just about to start the bridge in Whip. Apart from that there were no problems. Certainly not on MM, apart from a bum note from Chuck. At least with the songs mentioned here.

Do you think Keith's tendency to noodle off key has anything to do with Whip barely breaking 4 mins these days?

Date: June 16, 2013 17:10

Thrylan
DandelionPowderman

Do you think Keith's tendency to noodle off key has anything to do with Whip barely breaking 4 mins these days?

Yes, but then again they pretty much did the same arrangement as in 2003.

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: June 16, 2013 17:13

whip was crazy good in 78 and 81. orange whip anyone?

Date: June 16, 2013 17:16

.....four orange whips.

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: June 16, 2013 17:18

Thrylan
.....four orange whips.

whip, whip, whip, whip?

Date: June 16, 2013 17:24

I was there Friday night and thought the show was excellent. As good as any I have seen (this was #7 for me). I took my 16 year old son and he was beyond amazed.

Highlights? Rambler of course. All Down The Line was outstanding. Memory Motel was also quite good. My son's fave was Tumbling Dice. I thought Keefs work on SFTD was better than usual.

Whip was a trainwreck but fun to hear.

The band was all smiles and clearly having a good time.
I had $85 tix and ended up with Club Seats in Sec 109...excellent view.

Posted by: angee ()
Date: June 16, 2013 17:25

DandelionPowderman
Matt Clifford? Sure it wasn't Tim Ries??

It's Matt Clifford, just for the one tune.

~"Love is Strong"~

Posted by: JerkyLittleGIJoe ()
Date: June 16, 2013 17:25

laertisflash
Sometimes i gather that, if some fans were in the mood for analyzing every single note and every single moment with such a "severity", from the beginning of Stones career, then they would rate even 1972-73 performances as "mediocre"...

thumbs up agreed!

Date: June 16, 2013 17:26

StonesTod
Thrylan
.....four orange whips.

whip, whip, whip, whip?

I wanna see these guys, I hear they're good...

Posted by: KatieGirl ()
Date: June 16, 2013 17:33

RoughJusticeOnYa
proudmary

I don't agree,hbwriter. there are plenty and plenty people who love Mick , it's just people who love KR do it more aggressively, with the push like they want to prove something. I think these different approaches depend on the personality of the "object of love" himself

...Awerightie!! "Blame Keith", round gazillion. hot smiley

Who exàctly is "pushing to prove something", I sometimes wonder.
As HBwriter said, people respect Mick, they love Keith. Mick's mistake was to think he was bigger than the Stones, back in the '80's, at the start of their war, IMO. Keith always knew he wasn't, the Stones were about the sum of their disparate parts. The betrayal he felt at Mick wanting a solo career, and the musical direction Mick wanted to go in, always being "relevant" and following the latest trend, are, IMO, what led up to Life. It's that old "vision" thing. While I can respect Mick, and you certainly can't have the Stones without his distinctive vocals, I love Keith (personal failings and all!) |There's a warmth there that Mick doesn't seem to have. Of course, this is all based on not ever having met either of them, which shows you how much I know!

Posted by: KatieGirl ()
Date: June 16, 2013 18:06

KatieGirl
RoughJusticeOnYa
proudmary

I don't agree,hbwriter. there are plenty and plenty people who love Mick , it's just people who love KR do it more aggressively, with the push like they want to prove something. I think these different approaches depend on the personality of the "object of love" himself

As HBwriter said, people respect Mick, they love Keith. Mick's mistake was to think he was bigger than the Stones, back in the '80's, at the start of their war, IMO. Keith always knew he wasn't, the Stones were about the sum of their disparate parts. The betrayal he felt at Mick wanting a solo career, and the musical direction Mick wanted to go in, always being "relevant" and following the latest trend, are, IMO, what led up to Life. It's that old "vision" thing. While I can respect Mick, and you certainly can't have the Stones without his distinctive vocals, I love Keith (personal failings and all!) |There's a warmth there that Mick doesn't seem to have. Of course, this is all based on not ever having met either of them, which shows you how much I know!
Mea Culpa, forgot to mention Mick's song writing abilities, seeing as he was the co-writer of some of their best music.

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: June 16, 2013 18:50

KatieGirl
RoughJusticeOnYa
proudmary

Mick wanting to follow the "latest trend" didn't start in the 80s when he went off for a solo career. They had been doing that forever. Goats Head Soup is a minor example. As is Black and Blue. Then you have Miss You and Emotional Rescue, which is quite clearly their attempt at disco. They were always following the trends, and while it may have been more Mick's idea, its not like Keith stopped it or didn't contribute. It was his band too and he certainly allowed them to be a band that touches on new trends in their music.

Posted by: Bliss ()
Date: June 16, 2013 18:51

It's true, Keith does get most of the love around here. I think it has to do with their public personae. Mick presents himself as being aloof and unapproachable, whereas Keith is generally warm and funny in interviews. You can imagine that if you met Keith at a party or some private occasion, he might warm to you and become friends. Mick would probably be polite, but that's it. It's also not hard to imagine that if you intruded on his boundaries, you might get your feelings hurt. But Mick is apparently close to his children, and has friendships going back decades, so he is clearly capable of some warmth.

Posted by: Jimmer ()
Date: June 16, 2013 18:57

And we shouldn't forget that Mick truly bas been and still is the greatest front man and entertainer ever in rock n roll history! At least imho!

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: June 16, 2013 18:58

I don't think Keith gets more of the love than Mick around here, but you've been here much longer than me Bliss, so maybe your right. I do know that when people start comparing the two, people on both sides rush to defend their favorite and it often gets nasty.
I think they are both warm and lovable, just very different in their public personas and private personalities. And, they can both be a-sholes, but then so can everyone.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-06-16 19:09 by latebloomer.

Posted by: mickschix ()
Date: June 16, 2013 19:07

Totally incorrect assessment of the Mick/ Keith dynamic, IMO. Keith RARELY does any singing, except for his 2 song mini set so OF COURSE when he sang during Memory Motel, it was a treat. Of course the fans cheered!! It does NOT mean he is more beloved than Mick, not by a long shot. And to say Keith iS the Rolling Stones is not even close to being a truth. ( By the way, he messed up a few times Wednesday night, but it was not a big deal and as a Stones fan, I thought it was funny----HOWEVER, if MICK were to flub up THAT OFTEN during one show, the reaction from the Keith camp would have been thunderous!). And for those paying close attention, you KNOW where the 3 or 4 major mistakes were.
As for Mick not being warm and fuzzy....totally NOT TRUE. When approached properly, he is playful, funny, and very warm and talkative. Keith just is a different type of character, and having not met him, I can't say first hand what he's like but I have read he can be a hoot!

Posted by: oldschool ()
Date: June 16, 2013 19:27

laertisflash

Indeed,you could take any Stones show in their career and find errors. It is just the nature of the beast and part of their charm IMHO.

I will admit it always sounds better at the show then when you look at a video later but I thought Fridays show was excellent. Much better then Wednesday's show IMHO.

Posted by: Doxa ()

Shorter and shorter these show threads are tending to be... People are getting a bit tired by now?

- Doxa

Posted by: slew ()

I agree with Mickschix for the most part. However I do think Keith would be more fun to sit down and talk with though Mick would probably surprise me. I am more in the Keith camp but I also like Mick a lot. One always needs to remember that Mick, Keith and Charlie can not be replaced. Without those three this could not be the Rolling Stones and as for the Taylorites that say if Keith falters MT will replace him that is total bullsh**. Nobody I know would go and see the Rolling Stones without Keith and certainly not Mick. Why do we have to have this Mick VS Keith thing? The only thing I could say of late is that Keith should not run his mouth about other members of the band they have a good thing flowing at the moment don't screw it up.

Posted by: slew ()
Date: June 16, 2013 19:30

My only beef with night two is I though I'd hear CYHMK and they did not do it but the show was superb just that I still have never seen it and was fully expecting it.

Posted by: Bliss ()
Date: June 16, 2013 19:30

>>>As for Mick not being warm and fuzzy....totally NOT TRUE. When approached properly, he is playful, funny, and very warm and talkative.

I guess you mean back in the day, if he was trying to nail you.....

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: June 16, 2013 19:49

KatieGirl
RoughJusticeOnYa
proudmary

With that drive to be contemporary Jagger lead this band about 20 years to incredible heights. That he lost that instinct during the eighties should not be a reason to belittle his merits earlier. Keith either was not so conservative during the early part of their career.

That Jagger wanted to go solo, has every much to do with with Keith's stubborn and irrational behavior as Mick's wish to be artistically independent and forward-going. The most of the Stones fans naturally teamed up with Keith's conservatism. Me too. Jagger also understood that later, and gave us the "classical" Stones we wanted. There has not been so much money in the rock and roll ever than in the nostalgia market, as the rock and roll generations got elder and wealthier.

- Doxa

Goto Page: Previous123456789Next
Current Page: 7 of 9

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1819
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home