Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
IORR quoting policy - please read this before you post!
Posted by: Wuudy ()
Date: June 13, 2013 14:39

I don't want to step on anyone's toes here but why are a lot of people always quoting the previous message?
If you reply to the previous message in a post you don't have to quote it as it is pretty obvious that you are replying to the last message...
People that are the first to reply to a post quote it and people keep quoting a conversation while it is so obvious to what they are replying to. It takes up too much space and, frankly IMHO, it is annoying to read.

Cheers,
Wuudy

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2013-06-13 16:04 by bv.

Re: Quote this message
Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: June 13, 2013 14:44

Wuudy
I don't want to step on anyone's toes here but why are a lot of people always quoting the previous message?
If you reply to the previous message in a post you don't have to quote it as it is pretty obvious that you are replying to the last message...
People that are the first to reply to a post quote it and people keep quoting a conversation while it is so obvious to what they are replying to. It takes up too much space and, frankly IMHO, it is annoying to read.

OK Wundy, you do have a point...but, if someone else references this message later in the thread and all they see is my answer here, then no one will know what the heck I was writing about. It works sometimes, but not always. grinning smiley

Posted by: camper88 ()
Date: June 13, 2013 14:45

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-03-28 18:10 by camper88.

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: June 13, 2013 14:47

Yeah I don't like that either, but latebloomer has a point, and it's pretty active here too, so by the time you finish typing your message another one's been posted and you have to edit it to add the quote...

Date: June 13, 2013 14:48

You're right!

Anyone who knows who I am replying to? winking smiley

Posted by: Rockman ()

Wuudy.... Don't go ta Echo Valley

ROCKMAN

Posted by: 71Tele ()

You need to start a thread about this? Really? (I was tempted to quote your post in this message, but thought the better of it).

Next time someone adds a grammatically incorrect apostrophe to a word ending in "s", I am going to post a thread. That bothers me a hell of a lot more than someone quoting a previous message.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-06-13 15:10 by 71Tele.

Date: June 13, 2013 14:49

grinning smiley

Posted by: Wuudy ()
Date: June 13, 2013 14:50

Latebloomer, I knew that the first one to comment would quote my message winking smiley
Camper88, quoting is perfect and meant to be used if you want to comment on something specific so you are using it exactly for what its purpose!

Cheers,
Wuudy

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: June 13, 2013 14:57

Wuudy
Latebloomer, I knew that the first one to comment would quote my message winking smiley
Camper88, quoting is perfect and meant to be used if you want to comment on something specific so you are using it exactly for what its purpose!

Wundy, thanks so much for the Ms. Manners IORR lesson of the day. I can head off to work now with a lighter heart. grinning smiley

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: June 13, 2013 15:14

The reason people do that is because someone else can quickly post on the thread before you. It's happened to me before. This way everyone knows the exact post you are referring to.

Posted by: Braincapers ()
Date: June 13, 2013 15:22

Wuudy
I don't want to step on anyone's toes here but why are a lot of people always quoting the previous message?...

I quote, but I edit the quote so any the relevant text is there.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: June 13, 2013 15:56

DandelionPowderman
You're right!

Anyone who knows who I am replying to? winking smiley

huh? where am I?

Date: June 13, 2013 15:56

Exactly!

Posted by: sonomastone ()
Date: June 13, 2013 15:57

Braincapers
Wuudy
I don't want to step on anyone's toes here but why are a lot of people always quoting the previous message?...

I quote, but I edit the quote so any the relevant text is there.

I quote, but I edit what the person I am quoting said to suit my needs ... Isn't that the main reason for doing it?

Posted by: camper88 ()
Date: June 13, 2013 16:04

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-03-28 18:10 by camper88.

Re: IORR quoting policy - please read this before you post!
Posted by: Roll73 ()
Date: June 13, 2013 16:14

Wuudy

winking smileysmiling bouncing smileyRe: IORR quoting policy - please read this before you post!
Posted by: bv ()
Date: June 13, 2013 16:16

Thanks for starting this thread. I was actually thinking about doing the same earlier this week. Why is this important? Because we want quality not quantity on IORR...

NEVER EVER quote pictures. It is spam. The pictures are there already. You may have a fast internet connection, but many people do NOT have high speed internet. If a page with say 10 pictures is quoted 10 times then people get only 10% of the real IORR speed. Basic calculations.

Feel free to EDIT the quote. As long as you include the start and end quote tags, it is there to keep the context clear.

If I was to reperat everything every person said to me before I talked back, then the conversation would be complicated and slow.

The worst kind of quoting is a 10 times quote-quote-quote .... unquote ... where the real discussion is lost many pages ago.

Think quality not quantity. Make your post high value. People are more likely to read your post if the words you actually write are visible, not just a small part under 100's of lines of quoted text.

And I am sure everybody agree we do not need jumping rabbits and other sords of large multimedia decorations on the forum. Well we have hot smiley smiling bouncing smiley smileys with beer so that's a start.

Let's drink to the salt of the earth with low bandwidth, and thanks for keeping IORR the fastest Stones site on the planet!

Bjornulf

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: June 13, 2013 17:12

Hear, hear!

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: June 13, 2013 17:13

and remember - anytime you quote me, I am entitled to royalties.

Date: June 13, 2013 18:13

The same goes for videos, I think.

The threads including several videos take an eternity to be downloaded. If people posted links instead, the user experience would be more convenient.

Posted by: lettingitbleed ()
Date: June 13, 2013 18:32

I agree completely with Wuudy and BV. Thanks Guys. I thought I was the only one who was annoyed by it.

Re: winking smileysmiling bouncing smileyRe: IORR quoting policy - please read this before you post!
Date: June 13, 2013 19:50

bv

Think quality not quantity. Make your post high value.

Why start now? confused smiley

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: June 13, 2013 20:49

Two things irritate me - actually, one irritates me - people who quote a HUGE post full of pictures and videos just in order to add a thumbs up or "agree 100%" at the end of it - and one puzzles me - why do people sometimes quote a previous post or string of posts without apparently adding anything of their own?

I' d be interested to hear people's views on the question of YouTube posts - embedded or links only? Some people don't like to follow a mystery link while others find that embedded videos just take tooo damn long to load. Do we need to redesign the show-in-videos threads?

Date: June 13, 2013 21:03

Green Lady
I' d be interested to hear people's views on the question of YouTube posts - embedded or links only? Some people don't like to follow a mystery link while others find that embedded videos just take tooo damn long to load. Do we need to redesign the show-in-videos threads?

Now you've gone and done it. I have a headache.

Date: June 13, 2013 22:04

me thinks this is the NSA posting this message...so I'm gonna shut up

Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: June 13, 2013 22:15

I dont think agree with that one statement, but the other person after that is only partially correct, but these thread's always make for good

Posted by: GravityBoy ()
Date: June 13, 2013 22:16

Green Lady
Two things irritate me - actually, one irritates me - people who quote a HUGE post full of pictures and videos just in order to add a thumbs up or "agree 100%" at the end of it - and one puzzles me - why do people sometimes quote a previous post or string of posts without apparently adding anything of their own?

thumbs up

Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: June 13, 2013 22:17

Maybe do away them altogether, doesnt seem to be a lot of interest in them.

Posted by: GravityBoy ()
Date: June 13, 2013 22:20

Max'sKansasCity
Maybe do away them altogether, doesnt seem to be a lot of interest in them.
thumbs upthumbs downsmileys with beereye popping smileysmileys with beerdrinking smiley

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1454
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home