Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 4 of 5
Re: Doesn't Taylor have a guitar tech?
Posted by: triceratops ()
Date: November 18, 2014 12:13

I've seen Taylor many times along the years playing in his own band, with his own setup, and very often he appears to have similar "technical" problems: with the amp, with pedals pedals, with monitors, tuning, whatever.

He probably has some OCD on that. Obsessive compulsive disorder. Perhaps this is keeping Mick from allowing him on stage more plus that Mick Taylor looks heavier keeps him from playing more numbers. Jagger wants skinny Stones.

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: November 18, 2014 13:14

Although he's ben appearing with the band for a couple of years now, I don't think he's been able to get fully comfortable with the scale of the venues and the associated sound reinforcement technology.

After so many years of playing clubs and small venues, it's a whole other ball game on these stages.

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: November 18, 2014 13:22

Spud
Although he's ben appearing with the band for a couple of years now, I don't think he's been able to get fully comfortable with the scale of the venues and the associated sound reinforcement technology.

After so many years of playing clubs and small venues, it's a whole other ball game on these stages.

As noted in my last post, Taylor seems to have similar problems also when he plays with his own band and set up, so I don't think it has to do with the scale of the venue.

If anything, judging on Taylor's unusually "exuberant" behavior on stage with the Stones - in particular during the first London and US shows - I would say that he was affected by the large audiences in a positive way!

C

Date: November 18, 2014 13:37

Whilst his studio playing in the old days was sublime, I don't think an ear for great tone or an instict for playing dynamics have ever been amongst his strong points.
Left to his own devices, he's always played too loud and with an idistinct over "middly" tone.

Date: November 18, 2014 13:47

Spud
Whilst his studio playing in the old days was sublime, I don't think an ear for great tone or an instict for playing dynamics have ever been amongst his strong points.
Left to his own devices, he's always played too loud and with an idistinct over "middly" tone.

Yes and no.

Personally I always loved Taylor's Gibson live tone with the Stones. He was able to achieve a huge, compressed sound, with lots of attack and a very controlled level of distortion as opposed to what was the general trend at the time (and still is in many cases).

Out of the Stones I never truly liked how he sounded. But it must be said that I don't like the general sound of his solo bands that much either, so it is probably more a problem of context.

Playing dynamics, I agree with you he had (and still has) a tendency (and I underline - only a tendency) to overdo it at times, although from the "new" Brussells Affair I discovered that not only Taylor, but the whole band was able of subtleties in those days that always missed in the usual pandemonium of audience recordings.

C

Date: November 18, 2014 14:12

liddas

Yes and no.

Personally I always loved Taylor's Gibson live tone with the Stones. He was able to achieve a huge, compressed sound, with lots of attack and a very controlled level of distortion as opposed to what was the general trend at the time (and still is in many cases).

Out of the Stones I never truly liked how he sounded. But it must be said that I don't like the general sound of his solo bands that much either, so it is probably more a problem of context.

Playing dynamics, I agree with you he had (and still has) a tendency (and I underline - only a tendency) to overdo it at times, although from the "new" Brussells Affair I discovered that not only Taylor, but the whole band was able of subtleties in those days that always missed in the usual pandemonium of audience recordings.

C

Very fair points.
..and your comments about Brussels are kind of related to my original point.
The resolution and sophistication of modern sound reinforcement has enabled musicians to bring the subleties of a studio sound & performance to the live stage...someting that just wasn't possible in the 70s with it's crude PAs and infant monitor systems.
MT hasn't had the experience of growing with the technology because his typical live rig has remained the Transit van load of equipment, more typical of jobbing club bands than of world class performers.

Date: November 18, 2014 14:25

Spud
MT hasn't had the experience of growing with the technology because his typical live rig has remained the Transit van load of equipment, more typical of jobbing club bands than of world class performers.

True, and to add to that in most cases he has to rely on third parties stage and PA services - and like all pub bands in the world damn well - this can make a huge difference

C

Posted by: LuxuryStones ()
Date: November 18, 2014 22:59

Spud

Mmmm.. I think creating the guitar sound on stage has always been one of his great skills. He became famous for his warm tone and melodic approach, and playing for dynamics was an important ingredient of that, despite the high volume.

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: November 18, 2014 23:30

LuxuryStones
Spud

Mmmm.. I think creating the guitar sound on stage has always been one of his great skills. He became famous for his warm tone and melodic approach, and playing for dynamics was an important ingredient of that, despite the high volume.

Was Mick Taylor responsible for the loud performance?

Date: November 18, 2014 23:37

NICOS
LuxuryStones
Spud

Was Mick Taylor responsible for the loud performance?

Responsible? Blame the Ampegs, I loved them in '73 .grinning smiley

Date: November 18, 2014 23:42

Can you separate a man from his amp? grinning smiley

Date: November 18, 2014 23:54

DandelionPowderman

He stopped using Ampegs in the mid 8-tees I believe, but the Music Man 410 amps
with Dylan sounded great and loud as well. smiling smiley

Date: November 18, 2014 23:54

LuxuryStones
DandelionPowderman

He stopped using Ampegs in the mid 8-tees I believe, but the Music Man 410 amps
with Dylan sounded great and loud as well. smiling smiley

That one sounded fantastic thumbs up

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: November 19, 2014 00:46

Mick T can play as loud he wants..............IMO

Posted by: SwayMT73 ()
Date: November 19, 2014 14:30

Keef has a belly these days as does darryl jones and lisa fisher, so i'm not sure jagger wanting skinny stones stands up . . . and MT moves quite well (even sensually) alongside jagger these days . . .

Posted by: moonlightaffair ()
Date: November 19, 2014 17:07

SwayMT73
Keef has a belly these days as does darryl jones and lisa fisher, so i'm not sure jagger wanting skinny stones stands up . . . and MT moves quite well (even sensually) alongside jagger these days . . .

thumbs up

Date: November 22, 2014 22:28

NICOS
Mick T can play as loud he wants..............IMO

One of their finest moments ever. thumbs up

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: November 23, 2014 01:57

DandelionPowderman
Watching the Sway clip, and how Taylor desperately calls for a tech to turn up his amp prior to the solo, was a bit surprising.

We know he has his pedal board, where he can adjust from rhythm sound (amp) to solo sound (his Blues Driver-pedal).

Why isn't his amp- and pedal sound pre-adjusted, so he can just hit the pedal when he's ready to solo?

OK, so, pre-adjusted means it hasn't been adjusted yet. He needs to have it adjusted. And his amp turned up louder.

Someone is clearly messing with him.

Clearly that is why he quit.

Date: November 23, 2014 13:16

DandelionPowderman
Watching the Sway clip, and how Taylor desperately calls for a tech to turn up his amp prior to the solo, was a bit surprising.

I would turn it up my self if I were Taylor, just 5 seconds before the solo. That's what he also did when he was a full member or when he played with Dylan in venues comparable with these Rolling Stones...he always got away with it. Never rely on a tech. smiling smiley

Posted by: MartinB ()
Date: November 23, 2014 15:00

I also doubt Mick T has a guitar technician. He does not even seem to have a spare guitar ready. I think it was in Zurich where he broke a string. No replacement guitar. Amazing, if you think what a huge set up the Stones have...

Date: November 23, 2014 15:13

GasLightStreet
DandelionPowderman

We know he has his pedal board, where he can adjust from rhythm sound (amp) to solo sound (his Blues Driver-pedal).

Why isn't his amp- and pedal sound pre-adjusted, so he can just hit the pedal when he's ready to solo?

OK, so, pre-adjusted means it hasn't been adjusted yet. He needs to have it adjusted. And his amp turned up louder.

Someone is clearly messing with him.

Clearly that is why he quit.

grinning smiley

Date: November 23, 2014 16:09

MartinB
I also doubt Mick T has a guitar technician. He does not even seem to have a spare guitar ready. I think it was in Zurich where he broke a string. No replacement guitar. Amazing, if you think what a huge set up the Stones have...

Considering the amount of time he spends with them on stage he doesn't need a tech.

Date: November 23, 2014 16:14

LuxuryStones
MartinB

Considering the amount of time he spends with them on stage he doesn't need a tech.

23-24 minutes winking smiley

Date: November 23, 2014 16:23

I wonder what he's allowed to when it comes to his amp adjustments.. I mean if you only have 23 minutes to play I would insist...

Date: November 23, 2014 16:42

Pierre controls the effect pedals for Keith and Ronnie as well.

Date: November 23, 2014 16:45

He surely will, but I mean "give and take the orders" when it comes to the sound you want as a player?

Date: November 23, 2014 16:55

LuxuryStones
He surely will, but I mean "give and take the orders" when it comes to the sound you want as a player?

I agree, but when I'm 70 I might sell out and get a tech controlling it for me as well smiling smiley

Date: November 23, 2014 20:16

Controlling yes, creating no way smiling smiley

Date: November 23, 2014 20:34

LuxuryStones

Ronnie has Taylor's sound with his LP. I'm sure Taylor has the sound he wants, but not the volume.

Posted by: Stoneburst ()
Date: November 23, 2014 21:39

DandelionPowderman
LuxuryStones

Ronnie has Taylor's sound with his LP. I'm sure Taylor has the sound he wants, but not the volume.

To me, Wood's LP tone on this tour was closer to his old Faces-era Zamaitis tone - dirtier, with less of that warm mid-range Taylor employs.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 4 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1912
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home