Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
OT: The Replacements Are Back!
Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: June 13, 2013 13:58

First shows since 1991. They will play festivals in Toronto, Chicago and Denver this summer. It's Paul and Tommy. Assuming Chris Mars won't be joining in (sad).

[www.thereplacementsofficial.com]

Re: OT: The Replacements Are Back!
Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: June 13, 2013 17:20

I'm guessing Paul's kids need money for college.

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: June 13, 2013 17:36

what's going to happen to the ones that replaced them?

Posted by: Rollin' Stoner ()
Date: June 13, 2013 19:07

one of my faves...especially with Bob Stinson

Date: June 13, 2013 19:33

Rollin' Stoner

Sadly, I don't think Bob will be joining them.

Date: June 13, 2013 19:43

71Tele
Rollin' Stoner

I wonder why Chris Mars isn't playing?....maybe he's busy painting...really good artist

Date: June 13, 2013 19:53

Rollin' Stoner
71Tele
Rollin' Stoner

I wonder why Chris Mars isn't playing?....maybe he's busy painting...really good artist

There is bad blood there going back to when the band split up. Chris was essentially fired by Paul and Tommy. Why is anyone's guess, as they were breaking up anyway. Paul said some not-very-nice things about his drumming in the music press. Chris seems to have a long memory and a remarkable ability to hold a grudge. For my money, it's not really The Replacements without Chris.

Date: June 13, 2013 19:58

71Tele
Rollin' Stoner
71Tele
Rollin' Stoner

There is bad blood there going back to when the band split up. Chris was essentially fired by Paul and Tommy. Why is anyone's guess, as they were breaking up anyway. Paul said some not-very-nice things about his drumming in the music press. Chris seems to have a long memory and a remarkable ability to hold a grudge. For my money, it's not really The Replacements without Chris.
that's too bad....a friend of mine saw them in 1985...said they were great...but as you know, you never knew which Replacements would show up...I had one chance to see them during the Don't Tell A Soul tour...they were playing a free daytime show right up the street from where I worked...but I was stuck at work.

Posted by: Goldsmith ()
Date: June 13, 2013 20:17

I never thought I would see this day after they impolded back in '91. Two things I would like to see...1) A full tour 2) Chuck Biscuits on drums

Posted by: bleedingman ()
Date: June 13, 2013 20:22

Saw them open for the Winos at the Meadowlands and saw Paul solo at both Supper Club shows. Hopefully they'll play NYC.

Date: June 13, 2013 20:25

bleedingman
Saw them open for the Winos at the Meadowlands and saw Paul solo at both Supper Club shows. Hopefully they'll play NYC.

Wow, didn't know they opened for Keith. Paul is a huge Keith fan and his open-tuning stuff surpasses even Keith's in its ingenuity and originality. But he owes a great debt to Keith and the Stones.

Posted by: andrewm ()
Date: June 13, 2013 21:02

Goldsmith
I never thought I would see this day after they impolded back in '91. Two things I would like to see...1) A full tour 2) Chuck Biscuits on drums

Wow, Vancouver's own Chuck Biscuits on drums, now that's a cool idea. With respect to Chris, I thin some of that bad blood is now water under the bridge. He did sing on those two songs they did for the Best Of comp. a few years ago and contributed a song for the EP they just released to benefit Slim. I think he's doing really well with his painting and probably isn't interested in palying drums live any more. Just guessing.

Man, I hope they schedule more shows. Trying to figure out if I could make it to Toronto somehow as The Stooges are playing that fest. as well. I saw the 'Mats five times back in the old days-a couple of those shows were among the best I've ever seen and the others were an adventure at the very least.

Date: June 13, 2013 21:07

andrewm
Goldsmith

Wow, Vancouver's own Chuck Biscuits on drums, now that's a cool idea. With respect to Chris, I thin some of that bad blood is now water under the bridge. He did sing on those two songs they did for the Best Of comp. a few years ago and contributed a song for the EP they just released to benefit Slim. I think he's doing really well with his painting and probably isn't interested in palying drums live any more. Just guessing.

Man, I hope they schedule more shows. Trying to figure out if I could make it to Toronto somehow as The Stooges are playing that fest. as well. I saw the 'Mats five times back in the old days-a couple of those shows were among the best I've ever seen and the others were an adventure at the very least.

I don't know if you're right but he didn't actually agree to play with Tommy and Paul on the Slim thing (he contributed his own song, as you said). And he wouldn't play drums on the new tracks on the best-of compilation, he only did backing vocals. Sounds like maybe a grudge to me.

Posted by: bleedingman ()
Date: June 13, 2013 21:10

Date: June 13, 2013 22:02

71Tele
andrewm
Goldsmith

I don't know if you're right but he didn't actually agree to play with Tommy and Paul on the Slim thing (he contributed his own song, as you said). And he wouldn't play drums on the new tracks on the best-of compilation, he only did backing vocals. Sounds like maybe a grudge to me.

Maybe you're right, Tele. But if that's the case, why agree to sing on those recent songs? And there were pics of them together, smiling and seeming to get along. Having said that, I could understand his resentment towards Paul in particular, based on what Westerberg said back when they canned him. Regardless, it'll be interesting to see who fills out the line-up for these shows-I would guess Josh Freese (which would be great) and maybe recent Paul collaborator Kevin Bowe on guitar?

Date: June 13, 2013 22:24

andrewm
71Tele
andrewm
Goldsmith

Maybe you're right, Tele. But if that's the case, why agree to sing on those recent songs? And there were pics of them together, smiling and seeming to get along. Having said that, I could understand his resentment towards Paul in particular, based on what Westerberg said back when they canned him. Regardless, it'll be interesting to see who fills out the line-up for these shows-I would guess Josh Freese (which would be great) and maybe recent Paul collaborator Kevin Bowe on guitar?

Maybe. When I saw Paul last he was playing with that guy who drums for McCartney now. Great drummer.

Posted by: TeddyB1018 ()
Date: June 13, 2013 23:16

Josh Freese would be great. I don't think Paul W. ever did use Abe Laboriel, Jr. He did use Michael Bland, another terrific maxi-sized African-American drummer.

Date: June 14, 2013 00:06

Yeah, Teddy, I imagine Tele is thinking of Michael Bland, who's played with Prince, I think, right? That's who Paul had last time I saw him, in '04 I guess it was.

Posted by: GOO ()
Date: June 14, 2013 00:15

Other than skyway I hate this band

Date: June 14, 2013 00:19

Well, that is definitely the first time I've heard anyone say they hate the Replacements before. Ambivalence towards them I can see, I guess, but what's to hate? Your loss, but somehow I feel like they'd enjoy hearing that.

Date: June 14, 2013 00:23

Just find the sound a bore

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: June 14, 2013 00:25

....bring back Grandpa Boy ......

ROCKMAN

Date: June 14, 2013 00:33

andrewm
Yeah, Teddy, I imagine Tele is thinking of Michael Bland, who's played with Prince, I think, right? That's who Paul had last time I saw him, in '04 I guess it was.

That is correct. I was conflating enormo-sized African-American drummers. It was Bland, and he was anything but bland.

Date: June 14, 2013 00:34

GOO
Other than skyway I hate this band

They hate you too.

Date: June 14, 2013 00:35

Rockman
....bring back Grandpa Boy ......

Rockman that Grandpaboy "Mono" album is amazing. Great guitar riffs, a la Keith, and crackin' good songs. I think Paul played all the instruments.

Date: June 14, 2013 00:38

Total Keith rip off, about as original as the monkees

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: June 14, 2013 00:38

Rockman that Grandpaboy "Mono" album is amazing. Great guitar riffs, a la Keith, and crackin' good songs. I think Paul played all the instruments.

Yeah that Vampires & Failures song always knocked me .....

ROCKMAN

Posted by: TeddyB1018 ()
Date: June 14, 2013 00:41

Mono the album rules. It's the best Keith inspired album since Talk is Cheap, and it has better lyrics.

Date: June 14, 2013 00:42

TeddyB1018
Mono the album rules. It's the best Keith inspired album since Talk is Cheap, and it has better lyrics.

Sure is, Teddy. Here's a little open-G sample:

Date: June 14, 2013 00:55

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1895
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home