Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4
Re: OT- The lost art of looking at album covers while listening to a new album
Posted by: shattered ()
Date: June 14, 2013 10:34

Perfect post. your not alone. Some Girls...at parties we would go in the bathroom and put the sleeve up to the mirror. The women thought we were not quite right. Another real good album are is Yes. In fact I have some stuff framed.

Posted by: Mongoose ()
Date: June 14, 2013 16:01

Also, remember all of the "Paul is Dead" album clues? Sgt. Pepper's had several, including George on the back pointing to the line "Wednesday morning at 5:00" (the time Paul was said to have died), the hand above Paul's head on the front cover (supposedly symbolizing death in an eastern religion), the patch OPD (which was probably something like Ottawa Police Department, but the conspiracy folks said it was "officially pronounced dead" ) . the black rose Paul wears on Magical Mystery Tour, and on and on.....

Reminds me of that great National Lampoon album in the 70s...

"Paul is Dead Clue Number One.......I'm dead!"

Posted by: VoodooLounge13 ()
Date: June 14, 2013 16:09

I still feel that way about CDs, but I do think it is lost in this digital world...

Date: June 14, 2013 18:01

I had always dreamed of having an album out with a physical cover, maybe one of those "open up" deals with lots of pictures, lyrics, etc.

Alas, in this digital age, both of my band's albums are "download only" for the time being. Maybe we'll spring for putting them out on vinyl some day.

In the meantime, I guess they look OK for someone's iPod image.

For the record, here is what they look like, and you are welcome to give them a sample if you want. (sorry for the shameless plug, there!)

[www.amazon.com]

[www.amazon.com]

Posted by: UnionHall ()
Date: June 14, 2013 18:46

What a great thread, and bringing back so many memories. I remember going to the The Record Joint on payday and coming home with a half dozen albums. One of the best parts was ripping off the plastic to see what may be packed inside with the record. The already-mentioned School's Out desk cover and Billion Dollar Babies wallet, and there was the AC album Muscle of Love with a cover like a cardboard box. I have decorated my classroom with about 40 album covers hanging on the wall, and the kids are fascinated with them. One day I took down the School's Out cover and showed them how it folded into a desk, and showed the contents of the inside of the desk. They were blown away. Speaking of Paul is dead, I put together a power point of many of the clues and present this to my class, mainly to show the genius behind it and to showcase the intelligence of the rock icons from "back in my day". I also play them some of the audio clues. The kids are so freaked out by this stuff that word spreads throughout the building and I have random kids showing up at my door asking me to let them see the presentation. We grew up in a great time period "back in the days".

Date: June 14, 2013 19:35

UnionHall
What a great thread, and bringing back so many memories. I remember going to the The Record Joint on payday and coming home with a half dozen albums. One of the best parts was ripping off the plastic to see what may be packed inside with the record. The already-mentioned School's Out desk cover and Billion Dollar Babies wallet, and there was the AC album Muscle of Love with a cover like a cardboard box. I have decorated my classroom with about 40 album covers hanging on the wall, and the kids are fascinated with them. One day I took down the School's Out cover and showed them how it folded into a desk, and showed the contents of the inside of the desk. They were blown away. Speaking of Paul is dead, I put together a power point of many of the clues and present this to my class, mainly to show the genius behind it and to showcase the intelligence of the rock icons from "back in my day". I also play them some of the audio clues. The kids are so freaked out by this stuff that word spreads throughout the building and I have random kids showing up at my door asking me to let them see the presentation. We grew up in a great time period "back in the days".

GREAT comments. We have a lot in common. I'm a school counselor, and work music into a lot of my guidance lessons. What grade level do you teach?

Posted by: UnionHall ()
Date: June 14, 2013 19:45

Mongoose
UnionHall

GREAT comments. We have a lot in common. I'm a school counselor, and work music into a lot of my guidance lessons. What grade level do you teach?

Hey Mongoose! I teach 7th and 8th grade special ed, plus have an advisory class of 30 gen ed kids. Music is so relevant to the kids, and I applaud your efforts to make a connection with the kids using music. A great method that they can definitely relate to. I would be interested in some of the methods you use. If you want to hit me up, my email address is ripthisjoint54@gmail.com. Just had to have a Stones connection for my email address!

Posted by: BowieStone ()
Date: June 14, 2013 20:13

I don't think it's a lost art.
It'll be here long after the cd is gone.

The last 2 years I try and buy all new releases (I want) on vinyl. While listening to the album I just look at the artwork for the entire length of the album.
It might not be as in the 60s, 70s or even 80s, with all the clues and stuff. But the general feeling can still be engendered (don't know if that's correct English).

Posted by: noughties ()
Date: June 14, 2013 21:01

noughties
In the early 70s it was said to be a strong experience to follow the text in the Jesus Christ Superstar gatefold cover while listening to the music. -Not my words, and I`ve never tried it. Anyone?

- Eh, well, the Jesus Christ Superstar cover actually was a LP box with a lush booklet containing the lyrics...

Date: June 15, 2013 00:39

ALSO....how about 45 picture sleeves (when you couldn't afford the album!).

You always tried to get the picture version, if you could, over the plain white sleeve.

She's a Rainbow b/w 200 Light Years from Home - great "non-3D" version of the Satanic Majesties cover, so you could actually SEE all of the details in the photo

Also....

Paul Revere and the Raiders - Good Thing
(looked mighty sharp in the red outfits!)

Beatles - All You Need is Love b/w Baby You're a Rich Man (which used the inner sleeve photo from Sgt. Pepper's).

Posted by: shattered ()
Date: June 15, 2013 12:01

There is one extra hand on the control panel of Steely Dan's album Count Down '71.

Posted by: noughties ()
Date: June 15, 2013 21:32

noughties
noughties
In the early 70s it was said to be a strong experience to follow the text in the Jesus Christ Superstar gatefold cover while listening to the music. -Not my words, and I`ve never tried it. Anyone?

- Eh, well, the Jesus Christ Superstar cover actually was a LP box with a lush booklet containing the lyrics...

You see, there was one in every decent record collection in those days, together with Abbey Road, Tapestry, Vømmøl, and Lillebjørn Nilsen...

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: June 15, 2013 22:12

Date: June 15, 2013 22:13

Posted by: shadooby ()
Date: June 15, 2013 22:25

GOO
Always liked pink Floyd covers and liner notes

The 3 Immersion box sets are killer. Well worth the money if you're a Floyd fan.

Posted by: Jan Richards ()
Date: June 16, 2013 01:46

aaah, vinyls, my no 1 format to enjoy music. To hold a vinyl cover in my hands and look, smell, feel, touch it...

Here is one of my first LP's that I bough around the time of its release in 1973. This was my no 1 band in the 70's, SLADE
I was about 12 years old when I bought it and having a look on the line of amps behind the band... brrrr

Then 25 years later I ended up working as a tour manager in Finland for the same band... wooow, my teen idols. Dave and Don who still are in the band signed it for me

Jan Richards

[www.stonesondecca.com]

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: June 16, 2013 03:07

Cool stuff, Jan!

- Doxa

Posted by: daytime ()
Date: June 16, 2013 07:38

I do that frequently while listening look at the artwork setlist,

Posted by: Toru A ()
Date: June 16, 2013 08:38

even though the times are changing Stones is Stones.smiling smiley

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: June 16, 2013 09:06

................AND it lived up to it's name .....

ROCKMAN

Date: June 16, 2013 09:19

ROCKMAN

Posted by: GravityBoy ()
Date: June 16, 2013 09:42

Jan Richards

Ah.. Sladest.

I got that the same Christmas as Goats Head Soup and Aladin Sane.

That was a quality album cover and some great music.

Great live band too, I saw them 6 times (with Noddy singing), I hope you had a lot of fun with them Jan.

Date: June 16, 2013 09:52

ROCKMAN

Date: June 16, 2013 10:03

............ ya just knew da road was gonna be foggy...foggy...foggy ...

ROCKMAN

Date: June 16, 2013 10:20

ROCKMAN

Date: June 16, 2013 17:29

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2013-06-16 17:33 by tatters.

Posted by: likecats ()
Date: June 16, 2013 19:55

tatters

Wow! Those are amazing, especially the middle one.

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: June 16, 2013 21:20

The many moods of Murry Wilson--all of them moody.

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: June 17, 2013 02:08

tatters

Tatters, sometimes....I worry about you.

Date: June 17, 2013 02:26

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2013-06-17 02:32 by tatters.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1635
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home