Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...23456789101112Next
Current Page: 10 of 12
Re: Boston June 12 Stones show live updates
Posted by: mr_dja ()
Date: June 14, 2013 00:09

Doxa,

Before you start judging people on their lack of desire to have a conversation, you may want to look inward just a little bit. Don't get me wrong, I love many of your posts and think that you're one of the most articulate and well thought out posters we have around here and we'd be worse off if we were to lose you and your thoughts.

That being said...

Over the years I have been lurking & posting here the board has taken a dramatic turn away from discussion and debate being the norm to where arguments and insults are far more prevelant now than I can ever remember seeing them before. In your last two posts on this thread you managed to get in a snide remark on "woodists", an insult to the motivation of another poster's reply to you & a conclusion that insinuated you don't need anyone else contribution to come to a conclusion. I this case, why would I or anyone else be motivated to have a discussion with you if this is how we can expect you to reply?

I know I've just singled you out and, as I said above, that is NOT my intention at all, the examples were just too easy to provide.

I've been seeing this pattern more and more all over the board. Where I tend to see it the most is when someone expresses an (any?) appreciation for time periods other than 1969-1974 and especially years after 1988 (I could also reference certain times when politics or religion gets mentioned but since we're not supposed to have those discussions anyway I'll not worry about those). It amazes me sometime the closed- and narrow-mindeness of some posters who seem to have close to zero appreciation for anything other than MT and the years he was in the band. While I can respect that those are someone's favorite part of the Stones history, to dismiss the rest of the history and the posters who do enjoy other eras baffles me sometimes. The majority of the time, I don't feel the need to try and convert those people to agree with me or expand their point of view.

I'm sure I'm not the only one to have noticed this. I'd also be willing to bet that I'm not the only poster who has decided not to get involved in a thread because we're not in the mood to be insulted for our point of view. I'll debate and discuss with anyone on any subject. Rarely will I insult someone simply because their point of view is different than mine. However, that seems to have become nearly the standard method of operation around here sometimes.

I'm pretty sure that I sense some frustration in your post & I'll tell you that it's frustrating for me as well, because this place could be so much better with a bit more tolerance and acceptance of differing views.

Oh well. It's only a message board after all. Apologies to bv and others for the fact that this OT post is in the middle of a specific show thread. Also, apologies to Doxa if it seems like I'm calling you out. While I am replying to you, that is not my intention at all. Although I used examples from your post, if I had to rank posters who are limiting discussions around here, I'm pretty sure you wouldn't be anywhere near the top of the list. Many times the only thing you might do that ends up limiting a conversation is write to well. I can't tell you the number of times I've thought about participating in a thread only to read one of your posts and say, "Yup. That's what I would have said. I've got nothing to add now!"

Peace,
Mr DJA

Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: June 14, 2013 00:15

@ Mr DJA

Great rhetoric there. Reminds me of Cicero.

Concert review: Rolling Stones rock TD Garden in Boston
Posted by: BeautifulBuzz ()
Date: June 13, 2013 22:36

BOSTON – Commemorating a half century of rule over the Kingdom of Rock’ n’ Roll, the Rolling Stones held court at the TD Garden on Wednesday night, performing the first of two sold out concerts as part of their “50 and Counting” tour.

The House of Jagger includes a jester (Keith Richards), knave (Ronnie Wood), and sentry (Charlie Watts), and their rule has gone largely uncontested. While they may not be writing relevant music anymore (and honestly haven’t in decades) they don’t have to; the Rolling Stones have “Satisfaction,” “Gimme Shelter,” and “Sympathy for the Devil.”

Those songs, at least as they were delivered during this two hour and 20 minute performance, sounded young and virile, delivered by men who may have weathered but not withered over the years. The band breathed life into songs a half century old and the songs invigorated the huddled masses on hand.

They opened with “Get Off of My Cloud,” laying down an unwavering groove that underscored the entire performance. Watts (drums) and bassist Darryl Jones set the foundation steady and strong and allowed the others to riff away, unfettered by the minutia of time and tempo.

Mick Jagger’s sovereignty remained unimpeachable as he again defied the very laws of nature that suggest a man pushing 70 years old shouldn’t be strutting, rutting, and rocking to the strains of “Its Only Rock’ N’ Roll,” and “Paint It Black.”

The band barreled through “Gimme Shelter” with Lisa Fischer adding background vocals while out-strutting Jagger at the front of the stage.

Jagger pointed out that the band had fond memories of the area, specifically mentioning their rehearsals out at Longview Farms in North Brookfield in 1981 and the time “your mayor, Kevin White, got us out of jail.”

The band brought out Texas blues guitarist Gary Clark, Jr. to sing the blues on “Goin’ Down,” and after a jam on “Beast of Burden,” brought out former Stones guitarist Mick Taylor to play lead guitar on “Sway.”

Jagger showed off his Bruins jersey (#50, his name on the back) before “Emotional Rescue,” and the band dished out two new songs with “Doom and Gloom,” and “One More Shot.”

There was a refreshing rawness to the sound as the band (with a few exceptions) largely stayed away from the arena-concert crutches of loops and sampling, relying instead on the energy and fullness of the two guitars, bass, and drums, and Chuck Leavell’s piano and organ.

After “Honky Tonk Woman,” Jagger introduced the principles before leaving the stage to Richards and Wood for an acoustic run through “You Got the Silver,” and an electric “Before They Make Me Run.”

Despite their royal rock bloodlines, the Stones still emit a street-cred cool that somehow makes them seem dangerous. From the grotesquely handsome Jagger to the pierced and scarred Richards there is still something that suggests you are not getting near them unless you are fully immunized and over-insured.

The highlights came in waves, from “Miss You,” to “Start Me Up,” “Tumbling Dice”, and “Brown Sugar.” The cathartic “Sympathy for the Devil,” was a rock melee, and the encore opening of “You Can’t Always Get What You Want,” featured the Boston University Marsh Chapel Choir.

The Rolling Stones closed out with “Jumpin’ Jack Flash” and “Satisfaction.”

Amazing photos click on the slideshow

[www.masslive.com]

Re: Concert review: Rolling Stones rock TD Garden in Boston
Posted by: TeddyB1018 ()
Date: June 13, 2013 23:11

Isn't Keith the knave and Ronnie the jester?

Posted by: Jesse ()
Date: June 14, 2013 00:19

kleermaker
Jesse
@kleermaker, Will you teach my class with me?
Of course maybe it's the people on this site that you know better than I, how are you with 16th c Ital. art history? smiling smiley

That would be fun Jesse, we'll teach them some Taylor Stones experience smiling smiley.

Maybe, but don't forget about my natural gifted intelligence cool smiley

Pretty good of course and you'll get me through it. Or we teach them some Dutch painting history: Rembrandt, Van Gogh and Appel will do I guess.

Sounds good! I once taught an early 20th c art history class while a jazz musician came in and talked about the music of the time and played examples of it. Music and art = fun stuff.

Posted by: RocksOff714 ()
Date: June 14, 2013 00:42

Could someone give me some insight as to where the 85 dollar "Mystery Seats" might be located ? Thanx

Crash Landed In A Louisiana Swamp

Posted by: stonesrule ()
Date: June 14, 2013 00:43

Jesse, I'm an admirer of Piero...Would love to attend your class...What state do you teach in? Beyond a state of grace.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: June 14, 2013 00:47

Thank you mr. DJA for your sophisticated post. Full of great points, and a fair criticism towards me. I am sorry for my unusual harsh rhetorics, but we live hard times, and one needs stronger weapons in times like these.... I usually share my points a bit more gently (and longer), but just for a change, I have changed my habits. One could say that I'm provoked, but what does that really matter.

But as you pointed out this is just a message board. There are just some nerds discussing of their favourite subject. Nothing really matters.

- Doxa

Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: June 14, 2013 00:50

Jesse
kleermaker
Jesse
Of course maybe it's the people on this site that you know better than I, how are you with 16th c Ital. art history? smiling smiley

That would be fun Jesse, we'll teach them some Taylor Stones experience smiling smiley.

Pretty good of course and you'll get me through it. Or we teach them some Dutch painting history: Rembrandt, Van Gogh and Appel will do I guess.

Sounds good! I once taught an early 20th c art history class while a jazz musician came in and talked about the music of the time and played examples of it. Music and art = fun stuff.

We've a deal! And don't forget that music is an art too cool smiley

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: June 14, 2013 00:51

RocksOff714
Could someone give me some insight as to where the 85 dollar "Mystery Seats" might be located ? Thanx

absolutely anywhere...a big function of where you'll be is how many tix have been sold at 'regular prices'.

For Toronto June 6, we got upper level beside/behind stage....way up but fairly close still.

Just before the show they started upgrading people, like 5 minutes before.

So, if you don't get a great seat right away don't despair, as you may get moved really close...we did and ended up in lower bowl 12th row in the $600 seats.

Posted by: MKjan ()
Date: June 14, 2013 00:55

Jesse
kleermaker
Jesse

16th century Ital....hello Vasari et al.

Date: June 14, 2013 01:00

kleermaker
Jesse
kleermaker
Jesse

We've a deal! And don't forget that music is an art too cool smiley

Absolutely! I should have said "visual" art and music = fun." Take care, Jesse.

Posted by: batcave ()
Date: June 14, 2013 01:38

Posted by: rovalle ()
Date: June 14, 2013 02:11

Jesse
kleermaker
Jesse

it's a mystery...

Date: June 14, 2013 02:19

stonesrule
Jesse, I'm an admirer of Piero...Would love to attend your class...What state do you teach in? Beyond a state of grace.

Ooh Piero...did you by chance see the exhibition of his works at the Frick Museum in NY that just ended mid-May? It was spectacular. I'm based in Chicago but travel a lot with museum work. I like my job. But LOVE the Stones! smiling smiley

Ciao

Date: June 14, 2013 02:29

thanx for insite treaclefingers

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2013-06-14 03:31 by RocksOff714.

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: June 14, 2013 02:51

batcave

Jagger is @#$%& excellent on this! hot smiley

Posted by: slew ()
Date: June 14, 2013 03:00

I was there last night and Rambler was a highlight. Jagger was great during the whole show, He is amazing. The whole band is. After attending a show I am tired of hearing all of the BS on this site that they can't play anymore. Especially in regard to Keith. Keith and Mick flubbed the opening of IORR but were very very good the rest of the show. Keith was really good on Gimme Shelter and dare I say SFTD. He did very little posing and I am mystified about some of the negative comments about his playing. I can't wait for tomorrow!

Posted by: triceratops ()
Date: June 14, 2013 03:10

Hot licks by Ronnie but I would have walked to take a piss during Keith's "You got the Silver" Boring stuff in that Boston video. Some posts say Keith's mini-set is often a signal to walk and get a drink, buy merch or go to the bathroom.

Date: June 14, 2013 03:32

Anybody interested in 2 Loge seats 260 for the pair . Can't believe a friend would Bail on me . Seats are together .

Posted by: slew ()
Date: June 14, 2013 03:33

Triceratops - I loved Keith's set it was really good. not boring at all to me! You Got the Silver is one of my favorite songs and its the first time I've seen it live.

Posted by: Mr. Jimi ()
Date: June 14, 2013 03:43

slew
I was there last night and Rambler was a highlight. Jagger was great during the whole show, He is amazing. The whole band is. After attending a show I am tired of hearing all of the BS on this site that they can't play anymore. Especially in regard to Keith. Keith and Mick flubbed the opening of IORR but were very very good the rest of the show. Keith was really good on Gimme Shelter and dare I say SFTD. He did very little posing and I am mystified about some of the negative comments about his playing. I can't wait for tomorrow!

Indeed, Rambler was the highlight. In the 23 shows I have seen, I have never heard the stop/start "Heard about the Boston" parts so loud. It was thunderous, shaking the arena. I enjoyed the the first half of the set, but have to admit I was slightly disappointed by the warhorse run.

They should retire Tumbling Dice for a bit, my god, it was the worst I had ever seen or heard. Ronnie's solo was awful, almost non-existent.

Brown Sugar and JJF seemed like they were just playing the rythmn track, Ronnie did the second guitar parts on JJF that appear on the studio version, but I was hoping for much more. They should put Taylor on for those songs, which would give life and lift to them. I like Ronnie, in fact, he was excellent during Going Down, but the 3 songs I mentioned were the low point of the show for me . . . Still had a wonderful time last night and I'm looking forward to Friday's show.

P.S. The Sway solo from Ronnie was also awful, and I think it was Taylor's weakest effort of the song as well that I have heard this tour . . .

Posted by: gripweed ()
Date: June 14, 2013 04:18

"Christ, you know it ain't easy (being stonestod) You know how hard it can be... the way things are going, they're gonna crucify stonestod"... he seems harmless to me... some of you just seem a bit wound up after a sub-par performance... HEY!! they will be back on stage & may be more "ON" for the next show... I think we are all a bit over ANALIZING all of this, enjoy it for what it is

Posted by: TimeIs ()
Date: June 14, 2013 05:15

bv
StonesTod
there's nothing complex about sway, for crissakes. 3 chords. i've seen lame stones cover bands play it better than the stones do.

So why do you waste your time with the Stones then?

It's Only Rock'n Roll - The Rolling Stones Fan Club. It's your site, BV, and your rules and prerogatives, but if it was my forum non-Stones fans would get their asses banned. And quick.

Posted by: Thrylan ()
Date: June 14, 2013 06:35

TimeIs
bv
StonesTod
there's nothing complex about sway, for crissakes. 3 chords. i've seen lame stones cover bands play it better than the stones do.

So why do you waste your time with the Stones then?

It's Only Rock'n Roll - The Rolling Stones Fan Club. It's your site, BV, and your rules and prerogatives, but if it was my forum non-Stones fans would get their asses banned. And quick.

Because there is merit to his statement. Most every guitar playing Stones fan on here wonders the same thing.

Posted by: laertisflash ()
Date: June 14, 2013 07:20

"The Sway solo from Ronnie was also awful..."

I don't think so, Mr. Jimi...

"and I think it was Taylor's weakest effort of the song as well that I have heard this tour . . ."

I have to agree on that...

Date: June 14, 2013 08:41

laertisflash

"and I think it was Taylor's weakest effort of the song as well that I have heard this tour . . ."

This is song is very frustrating to me. Even with MT, it hasn't been close to realizing its potential. I wish they would take an hour, and sit down and work it out.

Posted by: sonomastone ()
Date: June 14, 2013 08:51

Thrylan
laertisflash

This is song is very frustrating to me. Even with MT, it hasn't been close to realizing its potential. I wish they would take an hour, and sit down and work it out.

Agreed. And I don't think the issue is with the guitar playing. The while arrangement is wrong and Jagger's singing of it is dismissive and campy.

Date: June 14, 2013 08:56

Yes....The soloing bothers me less than Keith's seeming unwillingness to play the intro correctly. The intro really sets the groove on Sway. I have the same beef to a lesser extent with CYHMK also.

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: June 14, 2013 09:13

Keith had nothing to do with Sway when it was recorded except for backing vocals. I would say his intro is his best interpretation.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...23456789101112Next
Current Page: 10 of 12

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1722
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home