Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...23456789101112Next
Current Page: 8 of 12
Re: Boston June 12 Stones show live updates
Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: June 13, 2013 19:12

there's nothing complex about sway, for crissakes. 3 chords. i've seen lame stones cover bands play it better than the stones do.

Posted by: bv ()
Date: June 13, 2013 19:17

StonesTod
there's nothing complex about sway, for crissakes. 3 chords. i've seen lame stones cover bands play it better than the stones do.

So why do you waste your time with the Stones then?

Bjornulf

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: June 13, 2013 19:18

Well "blanking out" happens to the best of us ;-)

The Joker
Bjornulf, this an absolute brilliant comment. We feel on stage. Perfect.

I am in awe.

+1

Date: June 13, 2013 19:28

I have a good friend and a great Stones fan who can tell when Brown Sugar will be starting off in a wrong way, because he is watching Keith and his fingers on the guitar at all times. I am not at that level, I just played the drums when I was a kid, and I do know Charlie makes it perfect. By the way, wasn't there a "Miss You" restart done by Charlie, very unusual, last night? I think he was inspired by Mick coming back from the ramp with "unlimited energy". Anyway, after 50 years of doing this that is the true magic. You never know what is going to happen next.

Bjornulf

Posted by: DEmerson ()
Date: June 13, 2013 19:33

Our $85s turned out not great - Sec. 328 way at the top - but we were able to move down to a good side view. Guy I work with also got same section, but 2nd row, so he had a pretty good spot. But we certainly didn't see anyone walking around with magic upgrades - good deal for those that did.
Show was phenomenal once again (#27 for me since '81). I though M. Taylor was a bit 'off' tonight - seemed like Ronnie had to come to rescue once or twice. LOVED Emotional Rescue (1st time hearing it - super FUNky). Great time - can't wait for Friday!

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: June 13, 2013 19:33

bv
StonesTod

dont waste your time and energy on StonesTod Bjornulf. He is a lunatic and not a stones Fan. Forget about him.
Stonestod is a waste of time.

jeroen

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: June 13, 2013 19:35

rollingon
It seems it was a stronger gig for Keith in Boston or what do you think, especially you who actually were in the show?

I was in loge 12 last night and the sound was fantastic there. Keith and Ron were having so much fun together, you could tell they were feeling it. I don't see anyone has mentioned Paint It Black and how great Keith played this song, it could't have been any better!! Beautiful intro. Yes I thought Keith was very strong. I can see him touring with the Winos because he still delivers the thick rhythm and lets Waddy et al do the nice fills. I saw him doing that last night.

That being said the first 2/3 of the show is more exciting for an older stones fan like me because there's no surprises when the warhorses appear. They are all played well. Keith's SMU intro fantastic. Sway, Going Down and Beast of Burden were really cool and ER is fantastic live!! I actually left after the french horn for YCAGWYW to beat traffic and to get into work on time this morning. Thank you Rolling Stones once again!!

Posted by: CindyC ()
Date: June 13, 2013 19:38

bv
I have a good friend and a great Stones fan who can tell when Brown Sugar will be starting off in a wrong way, because he is watching Keith and his fingers on the guitar at all times. I am not at that level, I just played the drums when I was a kid, and I do know Charlie makes it perfect. By the way, wasn't there a "Miss You" restart done by Charlie, very unusual, last night? I think he was inspired by Mick coming back from the ramp with "unlimited energy". Anyway, after 50 years of doing this that is the true magic. You never know what is going to happen next.

I didn't notice that Miss You part, but it seemed on Brown Sugar that there was some confusion about when the song was going to end. It seemed Mick was ready to be done, but the guitars started back again, as though they were just enjoying playing it and wanted to keep going (which i love the idea of!). Charlie seemed to be the one who decided when that one was going to end.

Posted by: DREAMTIME ()
Date: June 13, 2013 19:41

2nd time lottery for me but no pit although I get my favorite lowers next to tongue catwalk on keith's side.

plenty of $50 tickets for lowers outside.

another great show. two more to go for me, making only 8 shows of the 50 & Counting tour.

PLEASE - SOUTH AMERICA AGAIN!! WITH LIMA, PERU!!

Date: June 13, 2013 19:41

corriecas
bv
StonesTod

dont waste your time and energy on StonesTod Bjornulf. He is a lunatic and not a stones Fan. Forget about him.

jeroen

Sure I have "friends" i.e. people I do know who claim they can play better than Keith. I hear what they saying and I do always smile when they say so. Some times the ego is bigger than real life.

Bjornulf

Posted by: Thrylan ()
Date: June 13, 2013 19:44

corriecas
bv
StonesTod

jeroen

Maybe, but he is dead on here. Sway is a song I love and want them to play, but they just never seem to nail it. It IS an easy song to play.Most Stones guitar-heads learn it backwards and forwards. Keith never nails the intro, it feels disjointed, and MT seems to never get going until Mick cuts him off.A band that can get every nuance of MR correct should be able to handle Sway.

Date: June 13, 2013 19:46

CindyC
bv

I didn't notice that Miss You part, but it seemed on Brown Sugar that there was some confusion about when the song was going to end. It seemed Mick was ready to be done, but the guitars started back again, as though they were just enjoying playing it and wanted to keep going (which i love the idea of!). Charlie seemed to be the one who decided when that one was going to end.

You may be right because the restart was when I was back in the front, while I followed Miss You from the tongue. Anyway, my memory is like the memory of a bananana fly, approx one second, give or take a bit, but the videos will show it was probably BS... Hands up in the year, yes, probably BS. I am sure our video experts might tell, I saw the recording screens up in the air at all times in the pit!

Bjornulf

Posted by: DREAMTIME ()
Date: June 13, 2013 19:50

[youtu.be]

MIDNIGHT RAMBLER COMPLETE

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-06-13 19:50 by DREAMTIME.

Date: June 13, 2013 19:55

bv
StonesTod

i love a good train-wreck, are you kidding me??

Posted by: vermontoffender ()
Date: June 13, 2013 19:57

the number of chords in a song are hardly the sole determiner of how complex it is. the rhythmic stops and starts in 'sway' are very different than the rest of the songs in the show. as is the general feel of the song. adding a third guitar to the mix- and not in the form of additional rhythm, but in the form of Mick Taylor's leads- only adds to the complexity.

the stones have always had their detractors when it comes to the supposed non-complex nature of their songs. this is complete nonsense, the stones are a vastly different band than almost any other; they perform with a mix of feel and power that other bands simply cannot attain. yeah, sometimes they make mistakes that seem basic, but that is, literally, part of what makes them such a great band. they don't play music like anyone else. this is something that I think many fans pay lip service to, but maybe don't understand.

Date: June 13, 2013 19:57

Thrylan
corriecas
bv
StonesTod

jeroen

Maybe, but he is dead on here. Sway is a song I love and want them to play, but they just never seem to nail it. It IS an easy song to play.Most Stones guitar-heads learn it backwards and forwards. Keith never nails the intro, it feels disjointed, and MT seems to never get going until Mick cuts him off.A band that can get every nuance of MR correct should be able to handle Sway.

you're a lunatic, you know that?

Date: June 13, 2013 20:00

vermontoffender
the number of chords in a song are hardly the sole determiner of how complex it is. the rhythmic stops and starts in 'sway' are very different than the rest of the songs in the show. as is the general feel of the song. adding a third guitar to the mix- and not in the form of additional rhythm, but in the form of Mick Taylor's leads- only adds to the complexity.

the stones have always had their detractors when it comes to the supposed non-complex nature of their songs. this is complete nonsense, the stones are a vastly different band than almost any other; they perform with a mix of feel and power that other bands simply cannot attain. yeah, sometimes they make mistakes that seem basic, but that is, literally, part of what makes them such a great band. they don't play music like anyone else. this is something that I think many fans pay lip service to, but maybe don't understand.

i don't understand your post, but i will pay lip service to it...

Date: June 13, 2013 20:02

So we should fire Keith and get some studio monkey to replace him? I am sure that would fill up stadiums and make people happy. There are hundreds of guitar players who can cover Keith Richards but there are nobody with his heart and soul. He can not be replaced. After fifty years I think it is about time people face the facts. One love - and gold rings on you all.

Bjornulf

Date: June 13, 2013 20:03

bv
So we should fire Keith and get some studio monkey to replace him? I am sure that would fill up stadiums and make people happy. There are hundreds of guitar players who can cover Keith Richards but there are nobody with his heart and soul. He can not be replaced. After fifty years I think it is about time people face the facts. One love - and gold rings on you all.

i will face facts after 54 years - not a moment sooner.

Posted by: Jesse ()
Date: June 13, 2013 20:07

PaintitBlue
Definitely noticed Ronnie encouraging Taylor to come out from behind the drums for satisfaction and Taylor was clearly shaking his head no...but he did eventually come out. He was also cut off again mid solo at the end of sway by mick...that must be a royal piss off. Could not help but notice that Ronnie keef and Taylor were almost conspiratorially mischievous toward jagger...especially on the final bow where mick left early and the other guys were laughing about something. What a great f$&@in show though... And a great band. I love these guys

I watched the final bow twice and I didn't see what you saw. After they took their bow, they all just sort of split apart. Mick looked serious (tired? he was just singing/dancing for 2+ hrs -- he must've been exhausted.) While he didn't laugh/make small talk maybe that's his style when it comes to final exists. He just walked quickly to the rear exist. Ronnie followed him MOMENTS after and then the other two also within moments. There was no negative vibe if you ask me.

I love the Stones too. And I can't thank you all enough for posting videos of each city's gig. Ciao.

Posted by: CindyC ()
Date: June 13, 2013 20:15

and how damn cute was Charlie during his intro!

The way Mick kept egging him on to move out further to the stage, the crowd getting more enthusiastic at his every step till he finally reaches the mike and utters a barely audible word "hello???" it was too quiet to hear over the loud crowd. Then Mick says "Wow" as though he can't believe Charlie spoke.

It was very cute. I've never seen him do that before, has this been happening at recent shows?

Posted by: PaintitBlue ()
Date: June 13, 2013 20:16

I don't believe I said negative anywhere in my post...they were having fun is all I meant

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: June 13, 2013 20:17

For what ever reason, they just can't seem to play Sway well or engage with the emotion of the song. They are being too half arsed, playing a mood piece without the mood or intensity.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-06-13 20:21 by His Majesty.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: June 13, 2013 20:18

Thrylan

Sway is a song I love and want them to play, but they just never seem to nail it. It IS an easy song to play. Most Stones guitar-heads learn it backwards and forwards.

Yeah but can they get the extraordinary feel of the studio version? No!
There's one thing that YT taught me is the Stones songs are being re-done by countless people on this planet... but none of them have that feel. Their covers sound bland and mundane.

Okay, last night's version sucked (as sucked the whole show imo) but c'est la vie! The Stones did great in Chicago, not so great in Boston, yes c'est la vie!

Date: June 13, 2013 20:20

dcba
Thrylan

Sway is a song I love and want them to play, but they just never seem to nail it. It IS an easy song to play. Most Stones guitar-heads learn it backwards and forwards.

Yeah but can they get the extraordinary feel of the studio version? No!
There's one thing that YT taught me is the Stones songs are being re-done by countless people on this planet... but none of them have that feel. Their covers sound bland and mundane.

listen to the carla olson band (with MT and Mac) play Sway and then tell me that

Date: June 13, 2013 20:20

His Majesty
For what ever reason, they just can't seem to play it right or engage with the emotion of the song. They are being too half arsed, playing a mood piece without the mood or intensity.

Has been for the last 20 years or so.
Jeroen
They are still great great band though

Date: June 13, 2013 20:21

BV

Stones "TightWad" Tod is just pissed he won't get to see them this time around because he is too cheap!

Can't put a price tag on The Power of the Rolling Stones live in concert ..even after 50 years.

I had a hard time paying $622 for my tickes. But I felt like if this was to be that last time I wanted a great seat.

And right after the show...and after standing for 2 1/2 hours I sat down in my seat and thought.....man...its like the Stones said ok you paid $600 for a seat....what ya think now.

And what I though was...I would give more next time!!!

Date: June 13, 2013 20:24

StonesTod
bv

StonesTod, why dont you disappear for a couple of months, like you used to.
You make this world, and maybe even Texas a happier plac, if you do. Your moron posts anger a lot of people, including BV.

Jeroen

Date: June 13, 2013 20:26

corriecas
StonesTod
bv

StonesTod, why dont you disappear for a couple of months, like you used to.
You make this world, and maybe even Texas a happier plac, if you do. Your moron posts anger a lot of people, including BV.

Jeroen

can i move in with you?

Date: June 13, 2013 20:30

grinning smiley

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...23456789101112Next
Current Page: 8 of 12

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1562
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home