Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...23456789101112Next
Current Page: 7 of 12
Re: Boston June 12 Stones show live updates
Date: June 13, 2013 16:36

bv
DandelionPowderman
Stoneage
About Jagger's voice: It's noticeable that he has put some work to it. Much of the nasality is gone. However it cracks up on the high notes. Maybe his running around has something to do with that. Or age...

On the first take on Sway this tour, he managed most of the high notes. Might be he is getting tired, or that he has a slight cold - could be many reasons. But he had major trouble getting up there on this version.

It was nothing about high notes at all, that is for sure. I was up front watching Mick communicating with Chuck. It was a power or sync thing. Technical issues. May be they were missing so,mebody on their monitors. You could clearly hear it in the pit. It was a lost song out of sync like a loose canon without power until Keith (I think) cranked it up after a while. I am pretty sure they had technical issues in Boston, on several occations. Nothing like a major problem, but you could hear it, and the bacd, especially Mick, reacts immediately of course. He likes it perfect.

Thanks for pointing that out, Bjørnulf.

Posted by: Jesse ()
Date: June 13, 2013 16:38

DandelionPowderman
Jesse
DandelionPowderman
I've only seen ONE poster who didn't want to have Mick Taylor on this tour.

There are no "Anti-Taylorites"...

You know exactly what I mean. Taylorites like MT's long guitar solos. I'd say "anti-taylorites" don't esp want his long guitar solos. Taylorites would like him to playt on every song; "anti-Taylorites" think 2 or 3 songs or just the right number. It has nothing to do with the man himself, I assume you know that.

If "anti-Taylorites" is the wrong label (notice I even placed a "?" after I used it), tell me what's the correct one. (no foul comments please.smiling smiley )

"Anti" is too strong, especially as many who regard the Taylorites and Taylorists too extreme really like Mick Taylor and his playing. You could be "anti" to the decision of having Taylor playing lead guitar throughout 22 songs, but you don't have to be "anti" having him as a guest on 5 or 6 of the numbers where he can contribute with some great guitar playing.

Oh I'm following you, but you're not following me. Who said anything about not wanting MT on the tour? I didn't. I like that he's a guest but don't want him playing as much as Taylorites do.

"Taylorite" refers to you -- his fan, not to Mick Taylor himself. So if I'm an anti-Taylorite, it means I don't agree with FANS. I'm "anti" his playing every song on tour, and listening to long guitar solos, and the belief that HE makes the Stones what they are on this tour. Nope. It certainly has nothing to do with the man himself. (and it doesn't mean I wouldn't like you, a Taylorite, personally either.)

NO ONE -- I repeat, NO ONE said Taylor shouldn't be on this tour. Don't exaggerate.

Date: June 13, 2013 16:43

kleermaker
Jesse
DandelionPowderman

You know exactly what I mean. Taylorites like MT's long guitar solos. I'd say "anti-taylorites" don't esp want his long guitar solos. Taylorites would like him to playt on every song; "anti-Taylorites" think 2 or 3 songs or just the right number. It has nothing to do with the man himself, I assume you know that.

If "anti-Taylorites" is the wrong label (notice I even placed a "?" after I used it), tell me what's the correct one. (no foul comments please.smiling smiley )

It's a big misunderstanding and incorrect to imply that Taylor did long guitar solos. Not on the studio albums nor on stage! That's absolutely NOT true at all. Those who say that don't know anything about that Stones era. Wood has played longer solos than Taylor ever did on stage! Surprised now?

Of course there are a lot of anti-Taylorites, but that has more to do with Wood struggling against the overwhelming Taylor inheritance and his own failure to really become a genuine Stones-guitarist. People love his loyalty, and I can understand that. Even people like Doxa who have nothing against his playing call him a fanboy. But well, I don't want to go into anti-Wood talk. I think he's a nice guy, but in my musical opinion he couldn't satisfyingly replace Taylor.

Are you pointed out to be the judge of what long guitar solos are now? grinning smiley

Wood played like Taylor on 75/76, because the Stones wouldn't change the formula so close between tours. By 1978 the several minutes long guitar solos were gone.

Don't you regard YCAGWYW, GS, LIV, JJF (the entire song, almost) or SFM as more than a little extended solos?

Date: June 13, 2013 16:46

SORRY FOLKS, I DIDN'T POST THIS PROPERLY THE FIRST TIME.

@DandelionPowderman

Oh I'm following you, but you're not following me. Who said anything about not wanting MT on the tour? I didn't. I LIKE that he's a guest but don't want him playing as much as Taylorites do.

"Taylorite" refers to you -- his fan, not to Mick Taylor himself. So if I'm an anti-Taylorite, it means I don't agree with FANS. I'm "anti" his playing every song on tour, and "anti" the belief that HE makes the Stones what they are on this tour. It certainly has nothing to do with the man himself. (and it doesn't mean I wouldn't like you, a Taylorite, personally either.)

NO ONE -- I repeat, NO ONE said Taylor shouldn't be on this tour. So please don't exaggerate.

Date: June 13, 2013 16:54

Jesse
DandelionPowderman
Jesse
DandelionPowderman

"Anti" is too strong, especially as many who regard the Taylorites and Taylorists too extreme really like Mick Taylor and his playing. You could be "anti" to the decision of having Taylor playing lead guitar throughout 22 songs, but you don't have to be "anti" having him as a guest on 5 or 6 of the numbers where he can contribute with some great guitar playing.

Oh I'm following you, but you're not following me. Who said anything about not wanting MT on the tour? I didn't. I like that he's a guest but don't want him playing as much as Taylorites do.

"Taylorite" refers to you -- his fan, not to Mick Taylor himself. So if I'm an anti-Taylorite, it means I don't agree with FANS. I'm "anti" his playing every song on tour, and listening to long guitar solos, and the belief that HE makes the Stones what they are on this tour. Nope. It certainly has nothing to do with the man himself. (and it doesn't mean I wouldn't like you, a Taylorite, personally either.)

NO ONE -- I repeat, NO ONE said Taylor shouldn't be on this tour. Don't exaggerate.

One poster said he didn't want him on the tour.

I think the Taylorites think of "anti-Taylorites" as people who don't like Taylor, hence not them smiling smiley

EDIT: Technically, you're right about what an "anti-Taylorite" is, of course.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-06-13 16:58 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: CindyC ()
Date: June 13, 2013 16:54

bv
It was nothing about high notes at all, that is for sure. I was up front watching Mick communicating with Chuck. It was a power or sync thing. Technical issues. May be they were missing so,mebody on their monitors. You could clearly hear it in the pit. It was a lost song out of sync like a loose canon without power until Keith (I think) cranked it up after a while. I am pretty sure they had technical issues in Boston, on several occations. Nothing like a major problem, but you could hear it, and the bacd, especially Mick, reacts immediately of course. He likes it perfect.

Agree, there several screw ups that I noticed and I'm usually too "into it" to notice that kind of stuff. The IORR one was very noticeable. It seemed to me that Mick started at the wrong point and wasn't sure how to continue. I also witnessed that interaction with Chuck and found that interesting.

I've messed up songs I know by heart, it happens.

In any event, before the encore started I was exhausted and I am 20+ years younger than the band, so hats off to them!!!

Wasn't looking too good, but I was feeling real well.

Posted by: rollingon ()
Date: June 13, 2013 16:59

DandelionPowderman
kleermaker
Jesse
DandelionPowderman

It's a big misunderstanding and incorrect to imply that Taylor did long guitar solos. Not on the studio albums nor on stage! That's absolutely NOT true at all. Those who say that don't know anything about that Stones era. Wood has played longer solos than Taylor ever did on stage! Surprised now?

Of course there are a lot of anti-Taylorites, but that has more to do with Wood struggling against the overwhelming Taylor inheritance and his own failure to really become a genuine Stones-guitarist. People love his loyalty, and I can understand that. Even people like Doxa who have nothing against his playing call him a fanboy. But well, I don't want to go into anti-Wood talk. I think he's a nice guy, but in my musical opinion he couldn't satisfyingly replace Taylor.

Are you pointed out to be the judge of what long guitar solos are now? grinning smiley

Wood played like Taylor on 75/76, because the Stones wouldn't change the formula so close between tours. By 1978 the several minutes long guitar solos were gone.

Don't you regard YCAGWYW, GS, LIV, JJF (the entire song, almost) or SFM as more than a little extended solos?

Have you noticed that still in 81/82 tours Wood played quite good solos especially in YCAGWYW, really quick high notes and stuff like that that worked pretty good and really added something special to the song dynamics IMO but he hasn't really played like this after those tours.

Posted by: DoomandGloom ()
Date: June 13, 2013 17:00

kleermaker
Jesse
DandelionPowderman

Good point. Part of Taylor's lore is that his replacement Wood has been less than remarkable

Date: June 13, 2013 17:02

rollingon
DandelionPowderman
kleermaker
Jesse
DandelionPowderman

Have you noticed that still in 81/82 tours Wood played quite good solos especially in YCAGWYW, really quick high notes and stuff like that that worked pretty good and really added something special to the song dynamics IMO but he hasn't really played like this after those tours.

After 81/82 they started playing the original version again (with the chord changes on the studio version) - hence the solos became considerably shorter and more or less lots their purpose, imo.

Date: June 13, 2013 17:09

DandelionPowderman
Jesse
DandelionPowderman
Jesse
DandelionPowderman

I think the Taylorites think of "anti-Taylorites" as people who don't like Taylor, not them smiling smiley

Well then, that makes all the difference.... I paid attention to the word ending with "ite" -- not the proper noun, Taylor = the man. OK. So if "anti-Taylorite" means one is against Mick Taylor himself -- then I'm wrong. Glad to get that straightened out.

(But it doesn't make sense according to the English language does it??)confused smiley

Date: June 13, 2013 17:14

@kleermaker,

I keep learning from you. I didn't realize that the term "Taylorite" also implied a few things about Wood.

I'm learning, I'm learning....

Date: June 13, 2013 17:15

Jesse
DandelionPowderman
Jesse
DandelionPowderman
Jesse
DandelionPowderman

I think the Taylorites think of "anti-Taylorites" as people who don't like Taylor, not them smiling smiley

Well then, that makes all the difference.... I paid attention to the word ending with "ite" -- not the proper noun, Taylor = the man. OK. So if "anti-Taylorite" means one is against Mick Taylor himself -- then I'm wrong. Glad to get that straightened out.

(But it doesn't make sense according to the English language does it??)confused smiley

I edited my post smiling smiley

Posted by: The Joker ()
Date: June 13, 2013 17:23

DandelionPowderman
Jesse
DandelionPowderman
Jesse
DandelionPowderman
Jesse
DandelionPowderman

I edited my post smiling smiley

Could you temper this frame/over frame/over frame thing? I enjoy your posts, but they are drifting in some infinity which make them quite unreadable. Unless posting this way is some guilty pleasure of yours.

Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: June 13, 2013 17:31

Jesse
@kleermaker,

I keep learning from you. I didn't realize that the term "Taylorite" also implied a few things about Wood.

I'm learning, I'm learning....

Just hope that you (and your nephew!) enjoy your Stones-trip, from the beginning (Brian Jones) until now!

To follow the course 'How to become a true Taylorian' you only have to check my YT-channel, 'kleermaker1000' cool smiley

Posted by: angee ()
Date: June 13, 2013 17:41

Did anyone there notice a problem with sound distortion through the whole show,
especially for the side seats?

Just to note, I was suprised how great the sound was in the United Center from the
back of the hall. With the MGM Grand, I expected good sound and got it.

~"Love is Strong"~

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: June 13, 2013 17:47

CindyC
bv

what's your top-end ticket price these days?

Posted by: Wild Slivovitz ()
Date: June 13, 2013 17:56

Good clip of "Gimme Shelter":

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-06-13 17:56 by Wild Slivovitz.

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: June 13, 2013 17:59

bv
gotdablouse
Honestman
At least , their IORR version yesterday was unbeatable, they were on fire >grinning smiley<

Yeah, WTF happened? Did Keith's guitar come unplugged or what? It can only be heard in the intro and then again at 40 seconds or so. That song is jinxed, they already messed up the beginning, but not so badly, at CHI/2 !

IORR was a big mess last night in Boston. Everybody looked at each other, Mick facing Chuck asking for a cue or whatever, trying several starts, then after something that felt like a long time, the power of the song is suddenly back, and they are on.

The sound was shifting through this show. On Satisfaction Mick Taylor did not want to go on stage, Ronnie came for him but Mick T just asked him to ignore. In the end he walked forward. But there were problems.

Thanks for clarifying what happened during IORR, it seems Keith managed to get it back on track around the 40" mark!

So was Taylor not wanting to come back because of sound issues? Hope it's not some other problem :-(

It was nothing about high notes at all, that is for sure. I was up front watching Mick communicating with Chuck. It was a power or sync thing. Technical issues. May be they were missing so,mebody on their monitors. You could clearly hear it in the pit. It was a lost song out of sync like a loose canon without power until Keith (I think) cranked it up after a while.

Is that IORR you are referring to? Sway seemed ok to me, other than Taylor's sound on the solo.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-06-13 18:01 by gotdablouse.

Posted by: DREAMTIME ()
Date: June 13, 2013 18:07

[youtu.be]

[youtu.be]

[youtu.be]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-06-13 18:12 by DREAMTIME.

Posted by: shakeydeal ()
Date: June 13, 2013 18:39

I had a decent enough, for $85 anyway, Keith side view of stage with little obstruction last night. You could clearly see MT behind the amps before his appearances (he was also chilling behind Charlie during Sympathy).

As far as Satisfaction goes, he was gently pushed out onto the stage by the guitar tech mid-way. I saw it clear as day. At the time, I thought it was done good naturedly and was just the usual routine for his entrance to the song. But has Mick T. been there at the start of Satisfaction at previous shows? I've YouTubed CYHMK and Sway over the last few weeks, but never got around to Satisfaction.

If his mid-song entrance was an abberation last night, there was maybe a little bit more behind the push.

Date: June 13, 2013 18:40

StonesTod
CindyC
bv

what's your top-end ticket price these days?

UGH, don't ask. I took a severe raping on tickets.

Date: June 13, 2013 18:45

gotdablouse

Yeah, WTF happened? Did Keith's guitar come unplugged or what? It can only be heard in the intro and then again at 40 seconds or so. That song is jinxed, they already messed up the beginning, but not so badly, at CHI/2 !

IORR was a big mess last night in Boston. Everybody looked at each other, Mick facing Chuck asking for a cue or whatever, trying several starts, then after something that felt like a long time, the power of the song is suddenly back, and they are on. [/quote]

Today at 4:00ish, WZLX (100.7) is going to be interviewing Chuck. They announced right after I read this thread this morning. So I called up the station and said I had a question they could ask Chuck about what happened there since I thought it was an interesting exchange. The DJ noticed it too, they thought someone started the wrong song. Anyway, don't know if they'll ask him about it, but they might.

Date: June 13, 2013 18:47

CindyC
Agree, there several screw ups that I noticed and I'm usually too "into it" to notice that kind of stuff. The IORR one was very noticeable. It seemed to me that Mick started at the wrong point and wasn't sure how to continue. I also witnessed that interaction with Chuck and found that interesting.

In any event, before the encore started I was exhausted and I am 20+ years younger than the band, so hats off to them!!!

As I was scrolling down I realized it sounded like these screw ups might have ruined the show, they absolutely didn't! It was a great show. Yeah, it pulled you out of the moment for a second, but they recovered quickly. Ain't no thang.

Wasn't looking too good, but I was feeling real well.

Posted by: PaintitBlue ()
Date: June 13, 2013 18:51

Definitely noticed Ronnie encouraging Taylor to come out from behind the drums for satisfaction and Taylor was clearly shaking his head no...but he did eventually come out. He was also cut off again mid solo at the end of sway by mick...that must be a royal piss off. Could not help but notice that Ronnie keef and Taylor were almost conspiratorially mischievous toward jagger...especially on the final bow where mick left early and the other guys were laughing about something. What a great f$&@in show though... And a great band. I love these guys

Posted by: bv ()
Date: June 13, 2013 18:58

I was in the pit and started watching the show front row Ronnie side. When you are up front you see every single detail, every eye contact between each and every band member, and you have your own sound from the speakers that are in front of the stage. That sound is for sure not the same as you get in the other parts of the arena.

Gary Clark tried to access the pit my side but was gently denied access because he did not have any wrist band or pass. This was at show start. I recognized him because I have seen him before guest playing. Was tempted to tell the security guy he was part of the show, but a manager from the Stones TP quickly told them he was ok. A couple of songs later Mick Taylor walked in. Then Ronnie Wood family and more band people. The pit was packed up front so they just stayed in the corner with us.

Sort of nighmare for security, Mick never plan or warn when he will work the tongue of the stage. In Montreal he did not leave the main stage until 5-6 songs into the set. Tonight in Boston he left already after a couple of songs, and after a couple more visits down there I realized I had to move. I do not have to be within 6 fet of Mick at all times, but when I know he is heavy on the tongue I choose to be out there up close within two feet of him. And I know Keith and Ronnie will show up too soon.

Mick was very into the crowd tonight. He tagged a lucky fan halfway from the tongue to the stage Ronnie side, just out of emotions, he came over to my spot few seconds later and his eyes had a sparkle which told me he was simply consuming us - the crowd - individually - making eye contact briefly still one by one and looking for catches. I did not catch Mick tonight but my hunt will continue...

Mick never stand still more than a split second. Only when he strap a guitar, or the few seconds he is into Midnight Rambler, when he is freezing as part of the show, you can rest your eyes on him for may be five seconds.

Charlie has got taste. His shirt was black Boston Bruins black that is with a nice Boston Bruins yellow line in it. That is showing respect to a crowd that is so hockey and that wanted to watch the first final vs Chicago tonight. But they got a great Stones show and they even got to see an hour or so of overtime play after they got home. Unfortunately they lost the first game but there are six more to go, and the best team will get Stanley Cup, simple as that.

Mick said "Sway" was the fan choice, and long before that I had seen Mick Taylor strapped up with his guitar behind Charlie. Pierre should have been paid overtime because now he also take care of Mick Taylor in a great way, amnd he is always very very close when Mick Taylor is on stage. In fact Pierre is close at all times, he is a great part of the show, always looking for band members and if everything is ok at all times. I think may be he is the stage manager but he is not just managing he is doing a lot of hard work himelf, checking guitars ten minutes before they go on, turning the knobs of the amp when Mick Taylor ask for i and so on.

Keith is the true manager of the band musically, not technical. He is safe, he does not bother with details. If IORR is having glitches in the startup, like tonight, he is safe, leaving the troubleshooting to Mick and Chuck, knowing the future of this very song is in the best hands. And sure it is getting on track within half a minute or so. For me it feels like forever, because I am so up close, and I see all the worries in Mick' s face and eyes, he want us to have the best, but the crew and the band and Chuck and I don't know who is getting IORR on fire so who cares about the "rainy" start. Keith is cool.

Mick has got all these worries about what jersey to show in what city amnd what to say. When he said he was in Choicago last week the crowd said "booooo..." and he had to do a lot of smiles and patience until he finally did diusplay the Boston Bruins shirt number 50 with JAGGER on it.

Keith makes no mistakes and makes no political comments. The highlight of the show for me is when Keith walk up front, roll up his sleeves, smiles, scanning the crowd, not up front, but the arena, let it sink in, absorbe the big roar that he never take for granted, but it is coming every single night, and rather than saying "it is good to be anywhere", he says "Boston Strong". Two words. Meaning so much to Boston. On display all over the city. Hard to spell out to the crowd by Mick, but so natural by Keith. If you do not love Keith for his outspoken generosity and honesty then you have missed out on something great about the Stones.

So I was wondering around in the pit, trying to get "everything". On Miss You I was on the tongue, because Mick is there all the time, but when I was there and saw him on the main stage doing stuff that my granddaughther age 7 is doing naturally, nothing like moves for a guy age 69, moving like a cat, moving the body like a lap dancer in the Pigalle area, I was stunned. I was thinking ... Mick is 69 ... he is 11 years older than me ... I do feel my muscles and my bones, age matters, but during Miss you Mick is in the league of my 7 years old granddaughter, no bones, no limits, the body is mooving free and the music is flowing as the crowd is getting more and more into the song. I think may be this Miss You is one of the best Miss You I have attended ever. Nolt because it is technically brilliant. Not because I am smoking struff otrhers around me are on. But because it is so comlete. It can't get any better. Until Friday!

Well I did not plan to write any report but here I am writing a report still... I could write a hundred pages about this show. Don't know whay. Last time it happened was in 1995. Brixton Academy. I was writing for hours in the night after the show. Emotions...

Sway was not rehearsed properly. I have to admit that. It is a compex song and with Mick Taylor on stage it is a lot more complicated than just having Ronnie and Keith there. The Stones are a bit rusty and they do need time to polish off songs. But please do not use that as a reason for not playing Sway. I would rather have an unpolished Sway than a polished You Got Me Rocking.

Boston and NYC has got one thing in common. They make good Stones shows. Or to be more precise... If the Stones play The Garden ... in NYC ... or Boston ... it is the same. You will have a crowd that has seen everything. They have seen rock stars coming and going. They have lost and won hockey games ... in MSG or the Boston Garden. But they have the passion.

Can't wait until Friday!

Bjornulf

Posted by: shakeydeal ()
Date: June 13, 2013 19:02

I found last night to be a good, solid show. Very enjoyable with the usual little bumps here and there like IORR. IORR started off hobbled, and then matters got worse when, from my vantage point, it looked like Keith just blanked totally. Ronnie came to his side and he found the right key to re-start the Berry riffs and almost immediately the song just clicked.

I was concerned it was going to be a long night for Keith, but I think he played up to his current abilities after that for the most part.

Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: June 13, 2013 19:05

bv

Sway was not rehearsed properly. I have to admit that. It is a compex song and with Mick Taylor on stage it is a lot more complicated than just having Ronnie and Keith there. The Stones are a bit rusty and they do need time to polish off songs. But please do not use that as a reason for not playing Sway. I would rather have an unpolished Sway than a polished You Got Me Rocking.

Nice report Bjornulf and totally agree with your statement.

Date: June 13, 2013 19:07

bv - definitely agree about Miss You. It's not typically one of my favorites, but i enjoyed it last night more than expected.

I actually REALLY enjoyed Emotional Rescue a lot. There was a funky, reggae thing happening to it which was so fun to dance to. Get Off of My Cloud works great live, I hope they keep that one in.

Posted by: The Joker ()
Date: June 13, 2013 19:10

Bjornulf, this an absolute brilliant comment. We feel on stage. Perfect.

I am in awe.

Posted by: still ill ()
Date: June 13, 2013 19:12

shakeydeal
I found last night to be a good, solid show. Very enjoyable with the usual little bumps here and there like IORR. IORR started off hobbled, and then matters got worse when, from my vantage point, it looked like Keith just blanked totally. Ronnie came to his side and he found the right key to re-start the Berry riffs and almost immediately the song just clicked.

He basically started it in C sharp rather than B, for the second time in a couple of weeks, which obviously threw the rest of the band completely off. Will Mick risk it for the Glastonbury coverage i wonder?

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...23456789101112Next
Current Page: 7 of 12

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1857
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home