Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 5 of 12
Re: Boston June 12 Stones show live updates
Posted by: Honestman ()
Date: June 13, 2013 12:17

At least , their IORR version yesterday was unbeatable, they were on fire >grinning smiley<

HMN

Date: June 13, 2013 12:23

svt22
DandelionPowderman
Doxa
Thank you sabata for "Sway".

Unfortunately it is getting worse - the band has no any feel for this song, and Jagger seemingly doesn't even try to try. Taylor's improvised lyricism is nice to follow, and he won't let us down, even though Jagger rushes up the things once again.

On with the show, but unfortunately this song doesn't work.

- Doxa

Mick Taylor & his Rolling Stones... grinning smiley

There is no lyricism. Taylor is doing his best to plagiarize a solo he doesn't quite remember, and he's doing it ok within these circumstances, imo.

For the first time, the rhythm guitars were tighter, did you notice that?

IMO, you're not gonna get the Stones doing Sway much better than this at this stage...

Did you listen to Wood's "slide solo", an insult to the song? Not to start a new Taylor - Wood debate, but these Stones are a nostalgia act, only in it for the money and some fun. They don't give a shit anymore when it comes to quality, imo.
Actually rather naive to analyze it anyway.

It was ok (some trouble with the sound for the few first seconds, though). Taylor's solos was also ok, nothing more.

But I was talking about the three rhythm guitars, that all have struggled big time trying to play those chords correctly on Sway. They had improved thumbs up

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-06-13 12:25 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: svt22 ()
Date: June 13, 2013 12:29

DandelionPowderman
svt22
DandelionPowderman
Doxa

Unfortunately it is getting worse - the band has no any feel for this song, and Jagger seemingly doesn't even try to try. Taylor's improvised lyricism is nice to follow, and he won't let us down, even though Jagger rushes up the things once again.

- Doxa

There is no lyricism. Taylor is doing his best to plagiarize a solo he doesn't quite remember, and he's doing it ok within these circumstances, imo.

IMO, you're not gonna get the Stones doing Sway much better than this at this stage...

Did you listen to Wood's "slide solo", an insult to the song? Not to start a new Taylor - Wood debate, but these Stones are a nostalgia act, only in it for the money and some fun. They don't give a shit anymore when it comes to quality, imo.

It was ok (some trouble with the sound for the few first seconds, though). Taylor's solos was also ok, nothing more.

Yes, it was ok. winking smiley

Date: June 13, 2013 12:31

svt22
DandelionPowderman
svt22
DandelionPowderman
Doxa

- Doxa

Yes, it was ok. winking smiley

Not playing the slide solo note for note, is indeed an "insult to the song", imo. It's pretty easy to play, and it's very integral to the song. Mick or Ronnie should (re-)learn it, and play it...

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: June 13, 2013 12:32

DandelionPowderman
Doxa

- Doxa

You have make yourself damn clear that you don't like or appreciate Taylor's improvised way to play, and you come time after time with pejorative terms like "doing his best to plagiarize a solo he doesn't quite remember". He is not really your cup of tea, and I guess never been. Be frank to yourself.

Yeah, probably the rhythm guitarists are a bit tighter than last time, but the whole feel of the performance is so lifeless. To me it sounds like they have left Taylor alone there, and not really backing him up. The band, even that first soloist (what does he even do?), seems like waiting Taylor do his solo, and that's the only point in the whole performance. There is no team effort.

If this is as good as they can do with "Sway", it is to say that the song is not anyway in their reach any longer.

But what does it matter? It is all a big celebration. Funnuly, about the only musical thing people are paying attention during this tour is Taylor's contributions. If, say, Wood sucks, no one bothers even say anything, but whatever Taylor does is in under a microscope. That alone says something of Taylor's musical significance. For different players, we have different expectations and criteria.

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-06-13 12:36 by Doxa.

Date: June 13, 2013 12:44

svt22
DandelionPowderman
Doxa

- Doxa

Unfortunately I tend to agree with you. It is better just leave the brains out and just enjoy the show.

- Doxa

Date: June 13, 2013 12:53

Doxa
DandelionPowderman
Doxa

- Doxa

You have make yourself damn clear that you don't like or appreciate Taylor's improvised way to play, and you come time after time with pejorative terms like "doing his best to plagiarize a solo he doesn't quite remember". He is not really your cup of tea, and I guess never been. Be frank to yourself.

Yeah, probably the rhythm guitarists are a bit tighter than last time, but the whole feel of the performance is so lifeless. To me it sounds like they have left Taylor alone there, and not really backing him up. The band, even that first soloist (what does he even do?), seems like waiting Taylor do his solo, and that's the only point in the whole performance. There is no team effort.

If this is as good as they can do with "Sway", it is to say that the song is not anyway in their reach any longer.

But what does it matter? It is all a big celebration. Funnuly, about the only musical thing people are paying attention during this tour is Taylor's contributions. If, say, Wood sucks, no one bothers even say anything, but whatever Taylor does is in under a microscope. That alone says something of Taylor's musical significance. For different players, we have different expectations and criteria.

- Doxa

I like his improvised way of playing, but here on Sway he's just trying to do his best to remember his solo (trust me!). I didn't say he was doing it badly, did I?

Taylor is NOT the only "musical" thing people are paying attention to during this tour. Have you forgotten about all the fans who travel to see their favourite band? They are having the time of their lives - the reviews and the reports are great!

And all you keep nagging about is how much Taylor get to play, as well as trying to distort my view on him? Life's too short to be doing this my friend - there's a tour going on smiling smiley

THIS is the Taylor I like, with his leads in the right places, adding magic to the song:

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-06-13 13:01 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: svt22 ()
Date: June 13, 2013 12:54

Doxa
svt22
DandelionPowderman
Doxa

- Doxa

Unfortunately I tend to agree with you. It is better just leave the brains out and just enjoy the show.

- Doxa

"Unfortunately" - regarding to my opinons in general or this Sway version? grinning smiley

Date: June 13, 2013 13:00

HMN

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: June 13, 2013 13:01

Didn't like that version much either, Taylor's sound is not as good/"juicy" as in LA/2 and I just don't get what he's trying to do towards the end, last night at about 2'35", that series of notes doesn't belong there and he does it each time, odd.

Posted by: Jack-flash ()
Date: June 13, 2013 13:02

guys what's up with all of you?
we always hope we see more taylor and hear more rarities and sway is for sure one, and once they play it we say, ah better play other songs

what do you want to hear if not sway?
for the 27th time shattered or live with me ?

c'mon let's be happy the stones please us with some rarer live played tunes

Date: June 13, 2013 13:06

Jack-flash
we always hope we see more taylor and hear more rarities and sway is for sure one, and once they play it we say, ah better play other songs

+1

HMN

Date: June 13, 2013 13:06

DandelionPowderman

Taylor is NOT the only "musical" thing people are paying attention to during this tour. Have you forgotten about all the fans who travel to see their favourite band? They are having the time of their lives - the reviews and the reports are great!

A weak argument. I'm going to travel to see my favourite band and surely I am going to have the time of my life. Anybody going to see the Stones, and willing to pay big bucks of that, will know beforehand what one will get. And they won't disappoint you.

But I was referring to the more detailed account here in regards to performances. Only Taylor'¨s contributions seem to cause some more serious reflection or interest. Probably due that being a novelty thing. We know very well what to expect from the others. Damn, we have been trained for decades for that.

- Doxa

Date: June 13, 2013 13:07

Jack-flash

I've seen LWM once, and I never got Shattered smiling smiley

The latter would be awesome in London.

Actually, I think All Down The Line would be a better choice for Taylor than Sway. What about a dual slide guitar attack with Taylor and Ronnie?

Posted by: RoughJusticeOnYa ()
Date: June 13, 2013 13:07

Jack-flash

If it's a travesty, we have to say so.

Date: June 13, 2013 13:11

svt22
"Unfortunately" - regarding to my opinons in general or this Sway version? grinning smiley

Well, just in regards your comment about the whole nature of the game this yaer. A critical eye, taking the music seriously, is not needed... Let us just enjoy the show, with heart full of nostalgia!(Even though I could have said this many tours ago...)

- Doxa

Posted by: z ()
Date: June 13, 2013 13:12

They play it too fast! (Sway)

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: June 13, 2013 13:12

DandelionPowderman
Doxa
DandelionPowderman
Doxa

- Doxa

- Doxa

I like his improvised way of playing, but here on Sway he's just trying to do his best to remember his solo (trust me!). I didn't say he was doing it badly, did I?

And all you keep nagging about is how much Taylor get to play, as well as trying to distort my view on him? Life's too short to be doing this my friend - there's a tour going on smiling smiley

THIS is the Taylor I like, with his leads in the right places, adding magic to the song:

Ron Wood has been doing his best to remember Taylor's solos for 35 years (badly, imo) and that doesn't seem to bother the Wood lovers. Yes, I wish Taylor was playing closer to the record here, but he doesn't - or can't - just the way Richards and Wood continually butcher the studio parts, as they have for decades now.

Date: June 13, 2013 13:14

Doxa
DandelionPowderman

A weak argument. I'm going to travel to see my favourite band and surely I am going to have the time of my life. Anybody going to see the Stones, and willing to pay big bucks of that, will know beforehand what one will get. And they won't disappoint you.

But I was referring to the more detailed account here in regards to performances. Only Taylor'¨s contributions seem to cause some more serious reflection or interest. Probably due that being a novelty thing. We know very well what to expect from the others. Damn, we have been trained for decades for that.

- Doxa

What about all these statements:
- Ronnie is playing really well on this tour - great solo on YCAGWYW
- Keith fvcked up the intro on IORR, but he was still sharp last night. Fantastic rendition of YGTS
- Mick is incredible, and sang really well last night. How does he manage the falsetto?
- Darryl doesn't swing as much as Bill, and I didn't like his playing on ER
- Charlie is steady as a rock
- The choir was really great
- Fogerty was awesome, Taylor Swift stunk
- It was sooo great hearing Lady Jane live! Chuck's harpsichord gelled nicely in with the beautiful acoustic guitars

There are hundreds more of those musical comments, Doxa - every day. The problem is that these comments are of no interest to YOU, seemingly.

By saying that discussing Taylor is the only interesting musical discussion topic on this tour, you're simultaneously pissing on all the other fans who like the whole band, and the shows.

I don't think you really mean that this is how it's supposed to be?

Posted by: boston2006 ()
Date: June 13, 2013 13:16

RoughJusticeOnYa
PLEASE stop voting for Sway, people.
It's a RAPE; that's what it is...
History is not served by these live renditions.

We would be much better off with CYHMK definitively added to the setlist.

I agree , Sway was awful last night .

Date: June 13, 2013 13:33

71Tele
DandelionPowderman
Doxa
DandelionPowderman
Doxa

- Doxa

- Doxa

Ron Wood has been doing his best to remember Taylor's solos for 35 years (badly, imo) and that doesn't seem to bother the Wood lovers. Yes, I wish Taylor was playing closer to the record here, but he doesn't - or can't - just the way Richards and Wood continually butcher the studio parts, as they have for decades now.

True, to an extent, because it's more like he's doing the recognisable parts (starts and endings) of Taylor's solos - especially his first years in the band, but also on CYHMK, he borrowed Taylor's intro and outro in his solo.

Not quite sure which parts you mean they are butchering (Sway?), but for the first time I heard the chords on Sway played correctly (apart from one Keith-riff in there), and that's a start smiling smiley

Posted by: Lorenz ()
Date: June 13, 2013 13:37

Just wanted to say I fully agree with DP. It doesn't take a wizard to see Mick is trying to recreate a solo from memory. What saves him is his knowledge of scales and and keys. He is by FAR not as fluid in his playing as he used to be and what he does now, if he gets lost, is noodle around in some Mixolydian (or what) scale... sure, sounds different from the same old blues pentatonic, but the solo still has no structure or melody line to it.

Posted by: noughties ()
Date: June 13, 2013 13:38

Empty seats in Boston!

- Judging from the new pic at IOOR`s front page.

Posted by: Wild Slivovitz ()
Date: June 13, 2013 13:48

They are still clearly able to deliver a much better job on "Sway". And yes, Taylor's sound was thin. But I'm confident next time they'll nail it!

Date: June 13, 2013 13:53

To all fans of Mick Taylor from Boston:

I started out commenting on the Sway-video, saying Taylor did OK with his solo.

I didn't say excellent, and all of a sudden there is a hive of bees on the loose here.

It was never my intention taking away the fun and the joy of watching Mick Taylor live, for the people who were there.

Posted by: rollmops ()
Date: June 13, 2013 13:59

For Mick Taylor to have agreed to play as a guest, of course he is probably well paid, is a challenge. He has to step "in media res" on stage while the band is warm and he is not. On the spot in a matter of seconds he is supposed to deliver amazing solos. Although some musicians can do that, Mick Taylor is an emotional player and this format of guessing on very few songs during a whole tour isn't ideal to create extraordinary musical moments. I love the rolling stones.
Rock and roll,
Mops

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: June 13, 2013 14:03

DandelionPowderman
71Tele
DandelionPowderman
Doxa
DandelionPowderman
Doxa

- Doxa

- Doxa

True, to an extent, because it's more like he's doing the recognisable parts (starts and endings) of Taylor's solos - especially his first years in the band, but also on CYHMK, he borrowed Taylor's intro and outro in his solo.

Not quite sure which parts you mean they are butchering (Sway?), but for the first time I heard the chords on Sway played correctly (apart from one Keith-riff in there), and that's a start smiling smiley

Not referring specifically to Sway here. The point is that Wood and Richards have been messing up parts for years (sometimes intentionally, sometimes not), then Taylor is crucified by some for not playing the solos note-for-note like the records.

Posted by: VoodooLounge13 ()
Date: June 13, 2013 14:04

noughties
Empty seats in Boston!

- Judging from the new pic at IOOR`s front page.

I believe that is one of the sections behind the stage...

Posted by: fredlynn19 ()
Date: June 13, 2013 14:09

any word on 85$ seat process? tips for Friday?

Date: June 13, 2013 14:18

71Tele
DandelionPowderman
71Tele
DandelionPowderman
Doxa
DandelionPowderman
Doxa

- Doxa

- Doxa

Not referring specifically to Sway here. The point is that Wood and Richards have been messing up parts for years (sometimes intentionally, sometimes not), then Taylor is crucified by some for not playing the solos note-for-note like the records.

Show me where! I said he did ok.

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 5 of 12

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1159
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home