Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Starting a song with a guitar, ending it with empty hands
Posted by: The Joker ()
Date: June 11, 2013 16:37

Don't like it.

Jagger on YCAGWYW (2013) and much worst, Richards on Happy (2007), ending by using the guitar as a cane

What is the point ? When you start a song, you put more and more layers, not less.

Or, it means the guitar used for the first verse was just for the display. Better not use it.

Re: Starting a song with a guitar, ending it with empty hands
Date: June 11, 2013 16:39

It depends on the song's arrangement.

However, I've never seen Keith stop playing at the ending of Happy (which indeed ends in the open chord, btw...).

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: June 11, 2013 16:56

No one does that better than Pete Townshend.

Date: June 11, 2013 16:59

grinning smiley

Posted by: GumbootCloggeroo ()
Date: June 11, 2013 17:25

Add this to the list of weird things Stones fans complain about.

Posted by: MingSubu ()
Date: June 11, 2013 17:48

The Joker
Don't like it.

Jagger on YCAGWYW (2013) and much worst, Richards on Happy (2007), ending by using the guitar as a cane

What is the point ? When you start a song, you put more and more layers, not less.

Or, it means the guitar used for the first verse was just for the display. Better not use it.

I'm sure you know that there is no set structure for a song.

While he has the guitar on, he is playing it.

Posted by: Title5Take1 ()
Date: June 11, 2013 18:46

At 3:30 in the DOOM AND GLOOM video is an example of Keith's open chord playing.

Posted by: pgarof ()
Date: June 11, 2013 18:51

The Joker
Don't like it.

I think the Stones are in a far better position than you to know when and where to use their guitars.

Posted by: Thrylan ()
Date: June 11, 2013 19:03

I hate it.....Mick used to be terrible about it on Imagination..... like he had ADD or something.... I wanna play! Let's sing! OK I love dancing!

Date: June 11, 2013 21:11

This is not bashing, just noting a fact.

I have grown listening to the Stones rocking the boat with smart interlaced licks, and riff and so on. I bought dozen of LP boots to listen it fuming. Guitars are their tools. Talk about structure all what you want, theorize, be the defenders, but Keith using a guitar as a cane on Happy or Before They Make Me Run, it is exactly what I don’t want to see.

Same when Keith and Ronnie use to have their arms up in 2006 – 2007, conveniently backed up by the Darryl & Chuck’s “wall of sound”. I pay good money for the guitars, not for the sidemen.
Don’t take me wrong. Love them. I have seen them about 60 times. Been at the two London shows in 2012, and flew to see a couple more in the US and Canada in May.

But please, don’t use the guitar as a visual gadget.

I don’t buy this structure thing with four measures of guitar, and bye bye – except only in some very smart studio cuts, like IORR, where I believe seven or more layers of guitar are to be heard in the bridge - brilliant craftwork.

But not on stage – guitars have to rock and keep steady as much as the bass and the drums in a lousy house. That is the contract.

Posted by: GravityBoy ()
Date: June 11, 2013 21:50

The Joker

Have a word with Ralph Vaugh Williams... he'll set you straight.

Posted by: marianna ()
Date: June 11, 2013 21:57

They still do the hands-up, off the guitar thing, like a visual flourish. No point in complaining about Chuck, as folks are wont to do, when the only reason he's heard so much is because the guitars aren't playing. Ron doesn't play like that except when he plays with the Stones. It must be an acquired habit.

Posted by: GravityBoy ()
Date: June 11, 2013 22:02

You can't do this and play.

Date: June 11, 2013 22:05

marianna
They still do the hands-up, off the guitar thing, like a visual flourish. No point in complaining about Chuck, as folks are wont to do, when the only reason he's heard so much is because the guitars aren't playing. Ron doesn't play like that except when he plays with the Stones. It must be an acquired habit.

Slighty less on the present tour. More focused, it has been righly said. Yes, you have coined the good phrase - a visual flourish - like plants in a pot.

Date: June 11, 2013 22:08

GravityBoy
You can't do this and play.

Haa

You mean Keith is a crime scene per se ? Excellent!

Date: June 11, 2013 22:09

The Joker

I have grown listening to the Stones rocking the boat with smart interlaced licks, and riff and so on. I bought dozen of LP boots to listen it fuming. Guitars are their tools. Talk about structure all what you want, theorize, be the defenders, but Keith using a guitar as a cane on Happy or Before They Make Me Run, it is exactly what I don’t want to see.

Same when Keith and Ronnie use to have their arms up in 2006 – 2007, conveniently backed up by the Darryl & Chuck’s “wall of sound”. I pay good money for the guitars, not for the sidemen.
Don’t take me wrong. Love them. I have seen them about 60 times. Been at the two London shows in 2012, and flew to see a couple more in the US and Canada in May.

I don’t buy this structure thing with four measures of guitar, and bye bye – except only in some very smart studio cuts, like IORR, where I believe seven or more layers of guitar are to be heard in the bridge - brilliant craftwork.

But not on stage – guitars have to rock and keep steady as much as the bass and the drums in a lousy house. That is the contract.

Keith had a severe cranie operation, and obviously he had the doctor's orders not to sing and play at the same time.

Today he does sing and play at the same time. He does it mostly on Happy, partly on Silver, Wild Horses, BTMMR and Dead Flowers.

Criticising this the way you do makes you look pretty ignorant. Be glad he is playing surprisingly well on this tour, and that he is still with us.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: June 11, 2013 22:11

No one is better at empty handed guitar than Elvis.

No one.

Posted by: zumabitch ()
Date: June 11, 2013 22:20

I don't like it either; but we must admit that when it happens with a piano it might be a lot worse

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: June 11, 2013 22:59

treaclefingers
No one is better at empty handed guitar than Elvis.

No one.

I agree with you there.

Date: June 11, 2013 23:01

DandelionPowderman
The Joker

Keith had a severe cranie operation, and obviously he had the doctor's orders not to sing and play at the same time.

Today he does sing and play at the same time. He does it mostly on Happy, partly on Silver, Wild Horses, BTMMR and Dead Flowers.

Criticising this the way you do makes you look pretty ignorant. Be glad he is playing surprisingly well on this tour, and that he is still with us.

It's obvious the doctors told him that? really? So what would happen? His brain would over heat and radiator fluid would come out his ears?

Date: June 12, 2013 01:09

More Hot Rocks
DandelionPowderman
The Joker

It's obvious the doctors told him that? really? So what would happen? His brain would over heat and radiator fluid would come out his ears?

smiling smiley His doctor joined him on the tour, and he never played a note while singing on the BB tour after the fall. On YGTS he didn't even have a guitar.

Yeah, pretty obvious to me...

Date: June 12, 2013 16:53

He played Connection and when i saw him in Atlantic City after the fall. Played and sang at the same time. Also he sings and plays many times in Sine A light. Everybody blames the fall. All those years of drug abuse has finally caught up with him. You don't that many drugs and not suffer some kind of mental damage.

Date: June 12, 2013 16:59

More Hot Rocks
He played Connection and when i saw him in Atlantic City after the fall. Played and sang at the same time. Also he sings and plays many times in Sine A light. Everybody blames the fall. All those years of drug abuse has finally caught up with him. You don't that many drugs and not suffer some kind of mental damage.

Show me the clip where he plays and sings at the same time. The rare occasional strumming doesn't count.

Here, in London in 2012, he is playing and singing:

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: June 12, 2013 17:01

why can't he play and sing at the same time?? can he walk and chew gum at the same time? any clips of him doing this?

Date: June 12, 2013 17:04

StonesTod
why can't he play and sing at the same time?? can he walk and chew gum at the same time? any clips of him doing this?

Now he can. Not sure about that gum, though winking smiley

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1060
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home