Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Drury Lane, a bit late...
Posted by: The Joker ()
Date: March 19, 2005 01:50

After reading such precise, plain reviews, it is hard to add something new. Or maybe this peculiar detail: during Piece of My Heart, Jess Wood played bass instead of Darryl, on a Darryl's bass. Also, I want to say KR-Lorenz/ Stonefan team is the nicest jukebox on the earth, no kidding, thank you, and merci beaucoup to offer us the show on-line.

When going to a concert from Paris to another city in Europe or USA, I'm used to take a flight the same day of the show. I did it this time too, something obvious as London is so closed to Paris. But because of cheaper flight, I chose a plane supposed to land at 6 PM at London city airport. As it in fact landed at 6.25 PM, I had to rush. Since my tickets bought on e-bay were waiting at the hotel in Bayswater area, I jumped in an airport bus. Then took the Jubilee line, stopped at Bond Street, called a cab to go to the hotel, checked in, throw my bag, took a again the same cab. With my mobile phone, I called my friend D. who was waiting at the theatre's door and finally arrived at Drury Lane after the warm up around 8.10 PM.

I had not seen D. since a long time. She is the friendliest, nicest, smartest person I know, at ease in every circumstance and is always pleased to please everyone. She was talking with some theatre manager, and said something like 'I'm happy you could make in time'. And then was a nice surprise. A person naturally skilled in RP, she had been offered two 'outer sanctum' passes. We went to the balcony, row C, but before I had my 'lunch', as I was starving. For a veggie, it is sometimes hard to find something to crunch that suits you. Forget the aeroplane 'diner', as short-haul flights only offer carnivore meal. So I had still water and pistachios at the Victorian theatre' left bar.

I loved the mood inside, maybe because people were relaxed, polite and smiling at the bars. Went back to my row C, sat between D. and a three-member family including a seven-year old boy.

I had barely sat that Ron came alone starting the show. And, well you had yet the show fully reported. The big impression came from the rhythmic section, as Andy Newmark is nothing to compare with Charlie. It sounds silly to write it, since there are hundreds of great drummers with their own style, but that was really such a difference... Playing numerous upbeat fills, gifted Andy Newmark took risks, but much for the others than for himself. One time Bernard Fowler, who was leading the number, rushed pointing his two arms down, as to say 'Mate, we stop NOW'. Ronnie seemed also focused at Newmark, to catch the move, and to be certain to not miss a beat. It worked great. Having witnessed Keith missing beats in Licks Tour – starting Live with Me, also Stray Cat Blues – I have to say that Ronnie was smart at that game. Concentrated, but also playing safely Andy Newmark – listen the dangerous drums fill on Plynth MP3 starting at 1'10". Thanks again KR-Lorenz/ Stonefan jukebox! You really need to check twice, as it so dizzy, confusing and fuzzy, yet correct– a four 4/4 pure drums break. I remembered Ronnie watching so carefully to be sure to find his feet on the ground after this ordeal.

When Jagger came on stage, I realized my IQ had lowered so much, or maybe I was groggy because of the psychedelic pistachios, or just worn out because of the rush from the airport. I was a bit far because of the balcony, and remember saying myself during five second 'Who is this guy? He cannot be him. Must be a clone. Sounds like him, but impossible. Sounds so much like him, by the way' and finally I felt sure that I had not been fooled. Nice peak in the show. A little pity, however, that on the balcony you cannot dance on Dance (Pt 1). D. was also pleased to see Jagger, she is a big, demanding fan. She told me 'Don't you notice Mick is a little fleshier? He is thinner on tour. He needs to tour'.

After the show, we went upstairs watching Ron's artwork. On the top of the building was a big bar half-filled and a door closed on the left. This was the 'sanctum', and we were told it was closed. But as we had 'outer sanctum' passes, this bad 'outer' left us out.

About 10.10 PM I said goodbye to D., she took a taxi and as I was more and more starving, went in an Indian restaurant next to the theatre. Had a glass of wine, veggie meal and tea. Drinking the red wine, I saw flashes outside, some shadows running with style, a brunette in the shade, it looked like Andrea Corr escaping in a limo.

Finally, I happily met two nice Stones fans from Southampton dining besides my table (Hi there!). We talked about the show, also about Bono.

Re: Drury Lane, a bit late...
Posted by: KeithRichards ()
Date: March 19, 2005 01:56

great review - you are obviously a professional writer!
Make sure you arrive earlier next time so you can meet up with the other great Stones fans from the various boards!

Re: Drury Lane, a bit late...
Posted by: tonym ()
Date: March 19, 2005 11:04

Hi The Joker - it was my mate John and I who met you in the Indian restaurant after the concert. It was great to chat to a Stones fanatic who had some great stories and insights - we'll definitely see you on the new tour for a beer or glass of wine!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2013
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home