Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Top 10 Rolling Stones Post Some Girls Songs - Ultimate Classic Rock
Posted by: JohnnyBGoode ()
Date: June 9, 2013 16:59

Re: Top 10 Rolling Stones Post Some Girls Songs - Ultimate Classic Rock
Posted by: Thrylan ()
Date: June 9, 2013 17:05

Lists are subjective, but.....no She's So Cold!?! Number 1 in my book, and I've always thought SMU was overrated. Also, D&G and One Hit go before.....many others? Lists are for controversy..... let the screaming begin!

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: June 9, 2013 17:10

Not a bad list at all...I'm very impressed with Slave's high ranking, as well as Undercover.

Hang Fire is a great tune but I'd question whether it's a top ten....replace it with She's So Cold!

Also, Plundered should be in there, as at least one or two off Some Girls deluxe disc two.

Posted by: drbryant ()
Date: June 9, 2013 17:59

Considering the fact that Tattoo You is one of the greatest albums of the last few decades, it's tough not to load up the list with tracks from that album. Much more interesting (and difficult) would be the top 10 post-Tattoo You songs

Posted by: Shott ()
Date: June 9, 2013 18:17

Love is Strong, Saint of Me, Let Me Down Slow, Almost Hear You Sigh, Harlem Shuffle

Posted by: OneHit ()
Date: June 9, 2013 19:58

Laugh I Nearly Died, Almost Hear You Sigh, Slipping Away, Out of Control, Thru & Thru, Too Tight, It Won't Take Long...

Date: June 9, 2013 20:24

drbryant
Considering the fact that Tattoo You is one of the greatest albums of the last few decades, it's tough not to load up the list with tracks from that album. Much more interesting (and difficult) would be the top 10 post-Tattoo You songs

Agreed.....could just as easily, say, Tattoo You

Date: June 9, 2013 22:19

i dunno man, this is so subjective

i mean i hate the track emotional rescue, and many of the other tracks on this list, but others love them

who's right?

none of us are.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2013-06-09 22:21 by pinkfloydthebarber.

Date: June 10, 2013 09:06

pinkfloydthebarber
i dunno man, this is so subjective

i mean i hate the track emotional rescue, and many of the other tracks on this list, but others love them

who's right?

none of us are.

Agreed, I personally have ER above SG....is that right? For me, yes....but not to most.

Posted by: goingmad ()
Date: June 10, 2013 09:53

My list:

She's so cold
Start me up
Worried about you
She was hot
Love is strong
You got me rocking
Saint of me
Out of control
Laugh I nearly died
Doom & Gloom

Date: June 10, 2013 09:54

Lists are totally subjective of course, but I'm shocked they'd include the utterly bland "Mixed Emotions" on a list that also declares Steel Wheels to be "their best album since Tattoo You." Are they actually drinking the rock-critics-circa-1989 Kool-Aid?! That's their weakest album, bar none. Me, I'd drop that and "Waiting On A Friend" (which is easily my least fave on Tattoo You) and add "Dirty Work" and "Love Is Strong." The absence of "Love Is Strong" is just CRIMINAL to me! That was THE stand-out single released in the years between "Undercover" and "Doom And Gloom!" Oh yeah, and drop "Hang Fire" and replace it with "She's So Cold." Otherwise, kudos to these dudes for realizing "Slave," "One Hit," "Undercover," "Dance," and "Emotional Rescue" are all greats! LOVE 'EM.

Date: June 10, 2013 10:02

I think my top 10 post Some Girls tracks, in no particular order, would be

Love Is Strong
Doom & Gloom
Slave
Dance
Emotional Rescue
Undercover Of The Night
Worried About You
Tops
Start Me Up
Dirty Work

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2013-06-10 10:04 by CanYouHearTheMusic.

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: June 10, 2013 11:47

First of all, it's rather common knowledge at this point that Tattoo You was a cleverly mixed outtakes compilation, one that worked in 1981, but would not have worked in 1983 or 1986 when musical styles and taste were changing beyond the early- and mid-70s sounds and styles that defined some of the key tracks from that "album", notably Waiting On A Friend, Worried About You, and Start Me Up, all of which date from the 1973 to 1976 range. So, in actual fact, the current Stones set list features only 1 song post-Some Girls--You Got Me Rockin'. The final rock version of Start Me Up was completed around 1977. People forget that just because TY was accepted as a new album at the time, it isn't anymore of a new album than are the Some Girls bonus outtakes disc or the Exile bonus disc. Outtakes are outtakes.

I would disagree with that list totally. The reviewer completely ignores their 90s output. I've been listening to Voodoo and Bridges a lot lately, and I find those albums rather solid, particularly Bridges, and each album contains some hidden gems that are rarely, if ever, referenced in lists or threads like these--in particular, Baby Break It Down from Voodoo (Mean Disposition is a tuneful bit of rockabilly also) and Too Tight from Bridges.

But if you are limited by a greatest hist mentality, you will overlook these examples and deprive yourself of additional moments of listening pleasure as you compile yet another top 10 list for the casual listener and Ultimate Classic Rock reader.

When you click on the Ultimate Classic Shlock link, this humorous photo of rock lookalike "Dopplegangers" gave me a chuckle. Jimmy Page as the dude from Quaker Oats, now that's a good one.

Posted by: sonomastone ()
Date: June 10, 2013 12:00

There have got to be one or two keith songs on this list.... I'd pick slipping away or sleep tonight.

6 of the 10 songs are from emotional rescue and tattoo you.... Ouch

Date: June 10, 2013 12:05

Start Me Up
Hang Fire
Slave
Worried About You
How Can I Stop
Little T + A
Terrifying
Love Is Strong
Down In The Hole
She Was Hot

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: June 10, 2013 12:22

DandelionPowderman
Start Me Up
Hang Fire
Slave
Worried About You
How Can I Stop
Little T + A
Terrifying
Love Is Strong
Down In The Hole
She Was Hot

Only five from TATTOO YOU?grinning smiley

Your appreciation for "Terrifying" is nice. Usually people don't even remember the track to exist. I have mixed emotions - lame choice of words I know grinning smiley - about that track but I think it is among the interesting ones in STEEL WHEELS by a novelty factor. The track sounds convincing by its own merits.

- Doxa

Date: June 10, 2013 13:37

Finally checked that ULTIMATE CLASSIC ROCK top ten... I need to admit that such a ultimate classick rock fart I am that I can't really disagree... Probably I would put "How Can I Stop" there, maybe to replace "Hang Fire"...

That said, the whole idea of the counting starting with post-SOME GIRLS material does not sound fair or intersting... it is clear that most of the material would include EMOTIONAL RESCUE and especially TATTOO YOU stuff, and "Start Me Up" as a clear classic sounds way too obvious. Everybody knows that song.

So more interesting - and educating - list would be post-TATTOO YOU when the real 'dark ages' begin.

The problem with post-TATTOO YOU material is that most of the leading singles have artistically flopped in compared to their forerunners. They are more flavor of the month kind of deals who haven't aged very well. It is painfully evident when listening FORTY LICKS or GRRRR! kind of material. For a casual listener the series from "Undercover of The Night", "Harlem Shuffle", "Mixed Emotions", "Highwire", "Love Is Strong", "Anybody Seen My Baby?", "Don't Stop", "Streets of Love" to "Doom & Gloom" makes rather sad picture of the artistic quality of the band, namely if we think that it is best they can do, knowing what caliber the single A-sides used to be (that doesn't mean there are not good songs in the list). So my point is that there is a serious lack of the "top" material in the singles front (where we usually find their most memorable songs). Most of the songs are rather 'thin'.

But I would say the next level - some "deeper" material, that is, individual album tracks, or even some odd B-singles - might be the level to find something more interesting and memorable. So my list would consider material like "Think I'm Going Mad", "Fancy Man Blues", "How Can I Stop", "Out of Control", "Continental Drift", etc. Throw there some strong fresh-sounding rockers a'la "Too Tight" or "Dirty Work" etc. and we are up to something. But I usually tend to think the less the description "sounds like classic Stones" fits, the better it is. The casual listener should not always to be treated as a dummie.

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-06-10 13:46 by Doxa.

Date: June 10, 2013 15:11

Doxa
DandelionPowderman
Start Me Up
Hang Fire
Slave
Worried About You
How Can I Stop
Little T + A
Terrifying
Love Is Strong
Down In The Hole
She Was Hot

Only five from TATTOO YOU?grinning smiley

Your appreciation for "Terrifying" is nice. Usually people don't even remember the track to exist. I have mixed emotions - lame choice of words I know grinning smiley - about that track but I think it is among the interesting ones in STEEL WHEELS by a novelty factor. The track sounds convincing by its own merits.

- Doxa

Yeah, I like the jazzy vibe of Terrifying.

In hindsight, I would probably sneak in a few Undercover tracks on the list:

Undercover Of The Night for Hang Fire
Tie You Up for Little T + A
Pretty Beat Up for LIS

Date: June 10, 2013 15:16

As far as songs go, I find Dance to be far more interesting than Miss You.

Date: June 10, 2013 15:20

Thrylan

Both studio versions are great, imo. Dance is a bit more of a funky rocker, and not as commercial as Miss You.

Some great guitar playing on Dance. Very fascinating, if you go track by track and listen with headphones. Lots of good stuff thumbs up

Date: June 10, 2013 15:24

Thrylan

That they have played the song to death, but I think the original (long, maxi single) version of "Miss You" is one of the finest moments captured by anyone anywhere on record. "Midnight Rambler" in a strikingly new clothing. "Dance" is a great track as well, but I don't think really get us to that level of originality and excellence.

- Doxa

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2013-06-10 15:27 by Doxa.

Date: June 10, 2013 15:25

I think Dance really illustrates what Ronnie brought....MT was blues with some Latin influences, Ronnie brought the "black" influences back...funky, nasty.... Dance is the guitar players Miss You. Ironically this works for me, I'm not a dancer.

Date: June 10, 2013 15:27

Doxa
Thrylan

That they have played the song to death, but I think the original (long, maxi single) version of "Miss You" is one of the finest moments captured by anyone anywhere on record. "Midnight Rambler" in a new clothing. "Dance" is a great track as well, but I don't think really get us to that level of originality and excellence.

- Doxa

As a guitar player the grooves and licks on Dance hits me more. But as a song, Miss You is almost unbeatable thumbs up

Date: June 10, 2013 15:37

DandelionPowderman
Doxa
Thrylan

That they have played the song to death, but I think the original (long, maxi single) version of "Miss You" is one of the finest moments captured by anyone anywhere on record. "Midnight Rambler" in a new clothing. "Dance" is a great track as well, but I don't think really get us to that level of originality and excellence.

- Doxa

As a guitar player the grooves and licks on Dance hits me more. But as a song, Miss You is almost unbeatable thumbs up

I get that point, but for me is the total outcome - the wholeness - which makes me evaluate the track. Analyzising its parts, thereby isolating them from the whole, to be evaluated by terms of their own, is secondary to me.

- Doxa

Date: June 10, 2013 15:40

Sometimes it sucks being a guitar player.....I must admit, I really dig the Texas 78' MY.

Posted by: The Worst. ()
Date: June 10, 2013 15:46

A bit surprised to see no songs from Voodoo, Bridges and Bang.

Date: June 10, 2013 15:51

Doxa
DandelionPowderman
Doxa
Thrylan

- Doxa

I get that point, but for me is the total outcome - the wholeness - which makes me evaluate the track. Analyzising its parts, thereby isolating them from the whole, to be evaluated by terms of their own, is secondary to me.

- Doxa

I like both, as whole songs AND the details - which there are more of in Dance, as Miss You isn't really a very guitar-oriented song.

Both have really cool verses and choruses. Dance a bit more spontaneous than Miss You. Miss You has a cool bridge, which Dance lacks.

Posted by: The Worst. ()
Date: June 10, 2013 15:52

Keef's tracks are so underrated by rock journalists, pundits or whatever they're called. All About You, Sleep Tonight and Slipping Away are the best tracks from Emotional Rescue, Dirty Work and Steel Wheels IMO.
Thief in the Night/How Can I stop should also be included in any top-10-post-some-girls-list

Date: June 10, 2013 15:55

Love Thief.....on Stones records, Keith has really been leaning hard on ballads/slow tunes. I love this style, but I like a little T&A occasionally too.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-06-10 16:12 by Thrylan.

Posted by: Stones Blah ()
Date: June 10, 2013 16:03

My list would have to include How Can I Stop.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1739
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home