Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011Next
Current Page: 10 of 11
Re: Montreal June 9 Stones show live updates
Posted by: lem motlow ()
Date: June 11, 2013 21:35

we get that,we know people disagree and have other opinions.thats an old story and a little lame to be honest.

when you're constantly attacking the band for stupid shit-"i dont like the way mick says a certain word"-"they should quit,this should be the last tour" -"keith is a shell of his former self"-"lisa should go on a diet"

i've found that if someone is constantly nitpicking,jumping on a persons every flaw,they probably just deep down dont really care for them that much and are using a bunch of different ways to say it.

Posted by: Rokyfan ()
Date: June 11, 2013 21:44

lem motlow
we get that,we know people disagree and have other opinions.thats an old story and a little lame to be honest.

when you're constantly attacking the band for stupid shit-"i dont like the way mick says a certain word"-"they should quit,this should be the last tour" -"keith is a shell of his former self"-"lisa should go on a diet"

i've found that if someone is constantly nitpicking,jumping on a persons every flaw,they probably just deep down dont really care for them that much and are using a bunch of different ways to say it.

the idea that the board is filled with this is wrong. That there is a large group of people who will accept NO criticism is inarguable.

You mentioned four criticisms . . . they are not equivalent. Comments about Lisa's weight are one thing, pronunciation of words, nitpicking stuff like that is just crap. What really bothers you is the "Keith is over the hill" and "the Stones should pack it in" comments. I don't agree with those, but they are legitimate comments. it's not odd that they would be on a fan board, it's odd to me that people are surprised because that is the way it is on every fan board.

You lump in criticism of the Stones music with stuff like Lisa's weight because it enables you to characterize it as all the same, which it's not.

It's OK that you really dig the current Stones and others may not so much. It really is just down to what you call simple and lame -- different strokes, etc. -- just remove the paranoia that requires you to validate your opinion with those of others and you would see that.

Posted by: HighwireC ()
Date: June 11, 2013 21:47

Rokyfan
My theory is that the vast majority of writings here are positive, but there are a certain number of people who expect unanimity, expect virtually all positive stuff so anything critical becomes whining and the fact that there are always going to be people critical translates into "this board is ridiculous, it's supposed to be fans, everybody is critical."

it is exactly the same on every fan board for every artist I am familiar with.

This is open to the public. people disagree. There are people who think Gimme Shelter is overrated, I think it is the greatest Stones song ever It is always going to be that way.

To me. the whiners are the ones who complain about anything negative; they need all positive views because they are insecure in their own opinions. If it bothers you that you liked a show and someone else thought it sucked, then you have a problem, not the person who didn't like it.

I see: The victim was/is/has always the problem, not the murderer ... sad smiley

Posted by: lem motlow ()
Date: June 11, 2013 22:01

thanks for telling me what bothers me.i actually thought the comment about lisa was the worst because it was a personal attack on someone.

the comments about the band "packing it in" and "keith being finished " are just stupid.why would you spend time on a message board talking about a band you dont think should exist?

it makes no sense,yet we have to suffer through your idiocy.

and i dont give a flying fck what happens "on every other message board",

you seem to fall on the side of the critics,what show did you see on this tour?

Posted by: Rokyfan ()
Date: June 11, 2013 22:07

lem motlow
thanks for telling me what bothers me.i actually thought the comment about lisa was the worst because it was a personal attack on someone.

the comments about the band "packing it in" and "keith being finished " are just stupid.why would you spend time on a message board talking about a band you dont think should exist?

it makes no sense,yet we have to suffer through your idiocy.

and i dont give a flying fck what happens "on every other message board",

you seem to fall on the side of the critics,what show did you see on this tour?

I will see the final Philly show, which is why I don't have an opinion, yet you can't grasp that i respect others'. I don't watch YouTube stuff because its boring.

I saw the Brooklyn show, thought it was great. I think keith's going on fumes a little but I still enjoyed the show tremendously, even though Taylor wasn't there. I did see taylor once for a whole show, in 72, the first of my over 50 shows. I fall on the side that the critics have the right to speak without being accused of not being fans. I know it's an outragouus concept,or, in your words, "idiocy."

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-06-11 22:08 by Rokyfan.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: June 11, 2013 22:08

MKjan
slew
I'm happy to have the Stones with us and playing at a fairly high level. I'm about done with this board. The people here have become tiresome. As Rick Pitino once said when he coached the Celtics "The negativity here sucks".

Don't let the whiners get to you....I've now been to 58 countries...people every where love the stones. I listen to fair criticism, but most of the whiners here
sound like miserable short bus people.....they ain't worth a second of time.

yeah, I can think of a slew of reasons to leave this board...a few whiners is not one of them.

Posted by: crumbling_mice ()
Date: June 11, 2013 22:53

This is a strange place, yes it's a forum and therefore people are entitled to their views and yes people are entitled to debate, discuss and argue their points with each other ....but what gets me is when people start threatening to 'leave' !!! By leaving I presume they mean they will never log in again. That is hilarious, surely we are all big enough to be able to take the opinions of others without throwing a hissy fit and flouncing out of IORR in such dramatic style. If you don't like the place, don;t come in...but you don;t need to announce your intentions.

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: June 11, 2013 22:55

lem motlow

i think that deep down you don't care for me that much

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: June 11, 2013 23:00

StonesTod
lem motlow

I've just casually observed that its not really all that deep down at all...

Posted by: BeautifulBuzz ()
Date: June 11, 2013 23:02

[www.theglobeandmail.com]

Fresh off their concert at the Bell Centre in Montreal, the Rolling Stones were greeted by fans outside their Montreal hotel Monday. The legendary band continue their tour in the United States and England.

Date: June 11, 2013 23:07

Munichhilton
StonesTod
lem motlow

oh, it's in the shallow end?

Posted by: BeautifulBuzz ()
Date: June 11, 2013 23:09

Rock of Aged: Why music fans have more than just sympathy for old devils

[arts.nationalpost.com]

Date: June 11, 2013 23:18

StonesTod
Munichhilton
StonesTod
lem motlow

Precisely...there's really nothing to worry about here...

Date: June 11, 2013 23:23

Munichhilton
StonesTod
Munichhilton
StonesTod
lem motlow

Precisely...there's really nothing to worry about here...

whew. cos i need extra care and feeding.

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: June 11, 2013 23:25

Rokyfan

it is exactly the same on every fan board for every artist I am familiar with.

Just for the record, I've had exactly the opposite experience, so that coming here was a real shock to the system. However I'll get over it. cool smiley

Posted by: andrewt ()
Date: June 12, 2013 03:12

crumbling_mice
This is a strange place, yes it's a forum and therefore people are entitled to their views and yes people are entitled to debate, discuss and argue their points with each other ....but what gets me is when people start threatening to 'leave' !!! By leaving I presume they mean they will never log in again. That is hilarious, surely we are all big enough to be able to take the opinions of others without throwing a hissy fit and flouncing out of IORR in such dramatic style. If you don't like the place, don;t come in...but you don;t need to announce your intentions.

It's like when people announce in a blog/letter to the editor something like "I will never shop at Wal-Mart again". Like Wal-Mart give's a rat's ass.

Posted by: sonomastone ()
Date: June 12, 2013 03:29

andrewt
crumbling_mice

It's like when people announce in a blog/letter to the editor something like "I will never shop at Wal-Mart again". Like Wal-Mart give's a rat's ass.

Or people announcing they aren't buying a ticket for the 50 and counting tour?

Date: June 12, 2013 03:41

sonomastone
andrewt
crumbling_mice

Hang on...there are loads of rat's asses at Wal-Mart so this whole argument is puzzling...

Posted by: sonomastone ()
Date: June 12, 2013 12:18

Munichhilton
sonomastone
andrewt
crumbling_mice

Hang on...there are loads of rat's asses at Wal-Mart so this whole argument is puzzling...

They gave me three rat's assess just for buying GRRR...

Date: June 12, 2013 12:54

Many have spent 16 years or more, posting on this board on a daily basis. If they're feeling that there's no fun anymore because of repeated whining and rude behavious, I think they're worth listening to.

Just my two cents.

And what is there to complain about, really - what could we expect?

Posted by: svt22 ()
Date: June 12, 2013 13:05

16 years? I didn't know that. This site starts at 2005. Where is the rest, why did BV delete it?

Date: June 12, 2013 13:23

svt22
16 years? I didn't know that. This site starts at 2005. Where is the rest, why did BV delete it?

He took the site down for maintenance round then. All the history was deleted, and we had to start again with blank sheets smiling smiley

I've been here since 1997 myself - signed up the very same day B2B was released, I think.

Posted by: svt22 ()
Date: June 12, 2013 13:26

DandelionPowderman
svt22

He took the site down for maintenance round then. All the history was deleted, and we had to start again with blank sheets smiling smiley

I've been here since 1997 myself - signed up the very same day B2B was released, I think.

Deleted by error? What a pity.

Date: June 12, 2013 13:28

svt22
DandelionPowderman
svt22

Deleted by mistake? What a pity.

Yes, indeed. Lots of interesting stuff gone.

I don't know if it was by mistake or if he had to do it when changing plattform provider, or something. I don't think Bjørnulf did it willingly, though smiling smiley

FINALLY....
Posted by: Eleanor Rigby ()
Date: June 12, 2013 03:27

by B. Perusse

MONTREAL ROLLING STONES REVIEW
MONTREAL — Trotting out a set almost entirely made up of vintage hits and fan favourites at Sunday night’s Bell Centre concert, the Rolling Stones pulled off the tightrope-walking feat of providing evidence for both sides in the debate of whether time is still on theirs.

Mostly, the conventional wisdom of recent years held true. Mick Jagger remains a force of nature at almost 70, one whose physical energy onstage can only be looked upon with slack-jawed admiration. Charlie Watts, still with the most dependable left-hand snap in the business, makes everything look so easy. Ronnie Wood really does do almost all the hard work on guitar, with Keith Richards having become a bit of a joke as a musical presence. Richards — stooped and slow-moving, looking like Yoda in a fright wig — is clearly more comfortable now with the ragged Chuck Berry riffs he injects into It’s Only Rock ’n’ Roll than with his spotlight introductions to Gimme Shelter and Paint It, Black, both of which he barely managed.

There can be no doubt that most of the 15,000-plus fans in attendance had made up their mind going in: they howled deliriously at the outset of every song, with the exception of last year’s just-OK Doom and Gloom and One More Shot — questionable inclusions, to be charitable. Even the icy lack of interaction between Jagger and Richards probably went unnoticed by them.

For reasons not everyone can fully grasp, Stones fans need to believe their boys have still got it, that they never sounded better and, most of all, that they’ll always be the world’s greatest rock ’n’ roll band. But anyone who has seen the group in their prime would be hard-pressed to argue that Sunday night’s concert was primo Stones. It was mostly respectable, adequately done retreads of their oldies: apart from the aforementioned 2012 tracks, the most recent song on the set list was Start Me Up, released 32 years ago.

Nonetheless, there were enough grin-inducing moments to make the event, at the very least, good fun — if nowhere near worth the $635 top price. (And truly, what live act could be?) The choice of Get Off of My Cloud as an opener, singer Lisa Fischer’s powerhouse vocals on Gimme Shelter, a spry Dead Flowers (by request from Montreal fans via a vote on the band’s website), a winningly joyous take on The Last Time, with special guest Win Butler of Arcade Fire trading vocals with Jagger, a blast of tenor sax from Bobby Keys on Emotional Rescue and Jagger’s hammy audience-baiting on Honky Tonk Women as he prowled the catwalk around the “tongue pit” in front of the stage — these were irresistible.

Moments of pure musicality were rarer in the high-octane nostalgia fest, but a few were there for the taking. Consider Wood’s solo during You Got the Silver or special guest and one-time Stone Mick Taylor — all but impossible to recognize, but still a devastating guitarist — leaving his trademark lyricism at the door and going for speed and stock riffs on Midnight Rambler, but pulling it off nonetheless.

You have to give it them, but it was a squeaker. Fifty is a good, round number. Let’s politely forget the “and counting” threat.

bperusse@montrealgazette

Thankfully a fresh, honest read compared to the never ending tired clichés that we read on these pages from those who appear to me that they need to get their hearing checked, probably ASAP.
Finally someone else sees Richard's guitar skills in 2013 for being what they are & NOT the constant harping of "Keith's back, he's on fire, he's awesome, he knocked it out of the ball park".

I'm constantly reading Wood is equally on fire but to my ears WHICH AREN'T the aural equivalent of Rose Coloured Glasses it's plain to hear that he is a still producing out of tune solos accompanied by endless bum notes as he has since the Licks tour or earlier.
Of course those who still think the Stones guitarists are practicing the ancient art of weaving will not agree with me, I'll just be considered one of those "crazy complainers".
Better than being a "deluded listener".

To sum up those of us who are not a member of the biased "best ever & on fire" crew see this B. Perusse person as having summed up the 2013 tour in a nut shell but personally I am of the opinion that he was still being way too kind.

Re: FINALLY....
Posted by: TimeIs ()
Date: June 12, 2013 03:31

A number of us who were at the concert have already to this inept review on the Montreal show tread.

Richards — stooped and slow-moving, looking like Yoda in a fright wig — is clearly more comfortable now with the ragged Chuck Berry riffs he injects into It’s Only Rock ’n’ Roll than with his spotlight introductions to Gimme Shelter and Paint It, Black, both of which he barely managed.

Check out Paint It Black: does Keith screw up the intro?

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: TimeIs ()
Date: June 12, 2013 03:41

For a different angle. Here's part of the review from the French-speaking newspaper La Presse, which I'm translating (as best I can):

title Everything We Wanted and More

beginning: The Stones might be 50, there's still something of the little insolent bastards in them, that used to sing Get Off of My Cloud and I Can't Get No Satisfaction, the two songs full of testosterone between which they played a little more than two hours, last night at the Centre Bell.

ending: Yesterday, the Stones gave us everything we wanted and more. It was perhaps the best of their many concerts in Montreal since 1965, which Jagger underlined by thanking the fans for their fidelity.

But the Stones of 2013, it's also the knowing smiles they exchange and the little shouts Mick answers to Charlie's drums. Like 50 years ago.

And the title of the review by the other French-speaking paper, Le Journal de Montréal, reads: The Rolling Stones at the Centre Bell... Magic.

[www.journaldemontreal.com]

Posted by: DoomandGloom ()
Date: June 12, 2013 04:09

Some people are fools.... All of us understand the age of our Rolling Stones and the facts that go with that. This is a throughly enjoyable tour by our favorite band. Sometimes they play great sometimes not...

Posted by: three16 ()
Date: June 12, 2013 04:46

DoomandGloom
Some people are fools.... All of us understand the age of our Rolling Stones and the facts that go with that. This is a throughly enjoyable tour by our favorite band. Sometimes they play great sometimes not...

like any and every good or great band.

Posted by: golfjen2001 ()
Date: June 12, 2013 04:48

A beatle's fan bye your name Eleanor Rigby sorry. They may not be perfect But they are still out there doing a great show stones fans will always love them.

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011Next
Current Page: 10 of 11

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2001
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home