Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011Next
Current Page: 9 of 11
Re: Montreal June 9 Stones show live updates
Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: June 11, 2013 01:33

StonesTod
treaclefingers
StonesTod
Alfonz
Watching Win Butler on stage, also reminded me how short all of the Stones are.

I find it strange you could get so many guys together (including Wyman and Jones ... at 168cm, the shortest of the lot) and have them all largely being midgets. Maybe Taylor the only one who might be "average" height.

Not to mention Chuck and Bobby Keys are also midgets. How tall was Ian Stewart? Darryl is not tall either, maybe same height as Jagger.

the stones are all shorties cos they are british war babies...rationing made all babies small there....and small babies become shorties as adults.

I thought the chain smoking during that era would have counteracted that effect.

the fags were shorties too - everybody had to sacrifice

Think about how much shorter they'd all have been had the fags been 'king-sized'.

I guess 'queen-sized' mighta been more appropriate.

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: June 11, 2013 01:44

treaclefingers
StonesTod
treaclefingers
StonesTod
Alfonz

I find it strange you could get so many guys together (including Wyman and Jones ... at 168cm, the shortest of the lot) and have them all largely being midgets. Maybe Taylor the only one who might be "average" height.

Not to mention Chuck and Bobby Keys are also midgets. How tall was Ian Stewart? Darryl is not tall either, maybe same height as Jagger.

the stones are all shorties cos they are british war babies...rationing made all babies small there....and small babies become shorties as adults.

I thought the chain smoking during that era would have counteracted that effect.

Think about how much shorter they'd all have been had the fags been 'king-sized'.

they just need to make like mr. chesterfield and satisfy....

Date: June 11, 2013 01:52

StonesTod
treaclefingers
StonesTod
treaclefingers
StonesTod
Alfonz

they just need to make like mr. chesterfield and satisfy....

quit dropping jake one-liners.

Re: Hey Keith,Bernard Perusse of the Montreal Gazette Needs To Be Shown The Blade Eh
Posted by: Thrylan ()
Date: June 11, 2013 02:08

treaclefingers
andrewt
Thrylan
andrewt
Keith Richards is treading water at best. But I still enjoyed the hell out of the shows I went to.

Well said....live is an "event", however, I think even Taylorites must admit, Ronnie is perfect for the job at hand. So sympathetic..... he kind of sits and waits to see if Keith falters(SFTD), and when he does, unobtrusively plays a studio lick, or something that doesn't steal the stage, but moves the song along. I don't think MT could or would provide this kind of safety net.......as I mentioned a couple weeks ago, Ronnie is a good wife.

Ronnie is the secret weapon on this tour. He's got my vote for MVP.

If we take Mick Jagger out of the equation then I agree.

MJ is the defacto MVP on every tour.

Indefatigable.

Creates an interesting paradox, he is also responsible for the emergence of Chuck and the Vegas feel.

Re: Hey Keith,Bernard Perusse of the Montreal Gazette Needs To Be Shown The Blade Eh
Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: June 11, 2013 02:10

Thrylan
treaclefingers
andrewt
Thrylan
andrewt
Keith Richards is treading water at best. But I still enjoyed the hell out of the shows I went to.

Well said....live is an "event", however, I think even Taylorites must admit, Ronnie is perfect for the job at hand. So sympathetic..... he kind of sits and waits to see if Keith falters(SFTD), and when he does, unobtrusively plays a studio lick, or something that doesn't steal the stage, but moves the song along. I don't think MT could or would provide this kind of safety net.......as I mentioned a couple weeks ago, Ronnie is a good wife.

Ronnie is the secret weapon on this tour. He's got my vote for MVP.

If we take Mick Jagger out of the equation then I agree.

MJ is the defacto MVP on every tour.

Indefatigable.

Creates an interesting paradox, he is also responsible for the emergence of Chuck and the Vegas feel.

As well as the reason the Stones sound like depeche mode on this tour...

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: June 11, 2013 02:14

love depeche mode. they rock.

Date: June 11, 2013 02:20

StonesTod
love depeche mode. they rock.

Therefore, Mick is my own, personal,....Jesus.

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: June 11, 2013 02:26

stonehearted
There have been a lot of comments that seem to peg Keith as the weak link in the line-up and numerous flubbed intros and other guitar parts have been mentioned as well.

People are forgetting that Keith has to take the anti-seizure medication, dilantin, on a daily basis, and there are numerous side effects--particularly for long-term users, which Keith now is--among them muddled coordination. Consider also that during the second half of the Bigger Bang tour, Keith was also drinking heavily in combination with this drug.

Here is a list of the common side effects:

jerking movements of the eyes
decreased coordination
shaking of the hands
slowed thinking and movement
memory problems
slurred speech
poor concentration

Full details at: [www.epilepsy.com]

Long-term use can also cause a calcium and vitamin D imbalance, resulting in impaired and weakened bone structure.

Full range of side effects listed at: [www.webmd.com]

I had the same surgery as Keith ten years ago (not because I fell out of a tree grinning smiley) and take the same meds, which makes me a long-term user, and most people (including me) don't have these side-effects at all. However all POSSIBLE reactions have to be listed. So I don't think it can be assumed that Keith is necessarily suffering from any or all of these side-effects, though of course it's a possibility. For the majority of people it's no big deal at all, though, and side-effects usually wear off after the initial period anyway..

Date: June 11, 2013 02:37

Or.......he is 69, and suffering from living out every excess Mick ever sang about.

Posted by: b2b2 ()
Date: June 11, 2013 02:47

the show was awesome......so happy they played dead flowers!

Posted by: bv ()
Date: June 11, 2013 03:00

proudmary
"The Human Riff looked tired, a tad uninspired, and I don’t think he ever once looked in Jagger’s direction all night".

This really should be The Last Time for The Rolling Stones
[blogs.montrealgazette.com]

I wonder what's going on behind the curtain

Keith does not look in Mick's direction? I assume the reporter is blind. Just like Keith does not have to watch the strings of his guitar at all times in order to play. They have been doing this for 50 years. I watch them every night they play and I can say they are pretty close even if they do not exchange eye contact like new lovers who just met last night.

Bjornulf

Posted by: Jesse ()
Date: June 11, 2013 03:01

I had the same surgery as Keith ten years ago (not because I fell out of a tree ) and take the same meds, which makes me a long-term user, and most people (including me) don't have these side-effects at all. However all POSSIBLE reactions have to be listed. So I don't think it can be assumed that Keith is necessarily suffering from any or all of these side-effects, though of course it's a possibility. For the majority of people it's no big deal at all, though, and side-effects usually wear off after the initial period anyway.

I absolutely agree with all Aquamarine says. I've been taking Dilantin for 30+ yrs and have no side effects. It's a drug that's even given to children so it's not as bad as some people make it out to be. I'm epileptic and it controls my seizures. I think Keith's arthritic hands might affect his playing more than anything else. And possibly the stiffness in his gait -- bet he has arthritis in his knees too. I think he's a real trooper for getting on stage and playing. You KNOW that his hands must be hurting. Here's to Keith!!!

Posted by: lem motlow ()
Date: June 11, 2013 03:35

proudmary
"The Human Riff looked tired, a tad uninspired, and I don’t think he ever once looked in Jagger’s direction all night".

its funny, if you read the whole thing you find out the idiot was sitting 3 rows from the back wall.
he either read too much into a shot on the video screen or he just wanted to say something stupid.
think he would've had the same review if his $85 ticket wouldve got him in the pit? me neither.

Posted by: TimeIs ()
Date: June 11, 2013 03:45

proudmary

Wrong. I was there - Keith looked at Mick many times, and for quite a long suspended time when they met up on the ramp during Sympathy. Keith wasn't perfect but that reviewer didn't see the same show I and others saw.

Posted by: lamothem ()
Date: June 11, 2013 04:15

The Montreal show was, in my opinion, absolutely delicious! You will not find a better R&R band anywhere else in the world. Thanks so much for the terrific memories!

Posted by: slew ()
Date: June 11, 2013 04:17

I'm happy to have the Stones with us and playing at a fairly high level. I'm about done with this board. The people here have become tiresome. As Rick Pitino once said when he coached the Celtics "The negativity here sucks".

Date: June 11, 2013 04:31

lem motlow
proudmary

its funny, if you read the whole thing you find out the idiot was sitting 3 rows from the back wall.
he either read too much into a shot on the video screen or he just wanted to say something stupid.
think he would've had the same review if his $85 ticket wouldve got him in the pit? me neither.

AGREED!

However I was at Toronto 2 and will say that Mick seemed to engage everyone except Keith.

I mean, who really cares, we know what's behind it all...shouldn't make any difference to the show.

Posted by: Montrealsuperfan ()
Date: June 11, 2013 05:19

bv
proudmary

Keith does not look in Mick's direction? I assume the reporter is blind. Just like Keith does not have to watch the strings of his guitar at all times in order to play. They have been doing this for 50 years. I watch them every night they play and I can say they are pretty close even if they do not exchange eye contact like new lovers who just met last night.

Agree BV- they interacted a lot more last nigt then in Toronto 2. Even met up on the cat walk and front of stage for some classic poses.

Date: June 11, 2013 05:26

The interaction thing is tiresome...I have lived with my wife half as long...and we don't smile and make nice all the time. I bet if you met one or the other in a bar and started talking smack about the other, it wouldn't take long for them to get defensive....that is the way it goes after knowing someone for over sixty years. I am far more interested in the quality of the show.

Posted by: laertisflash ()
Date: June 11, 2013 08:35

"I'm happy to have the Stones with us and playing at a fairly high level. I'm about done with this board. The people here have become tiresome".

I think the huge majority of the people who interest in the Stones music are happy for the same reason, Slew. Don't leave the board due to the ATTAFEC Party ("All The Time And For Everything Complainers"). Just stay and do what #2 track of Dirty Work album does advise...

Posted by: Rolling Hansie ()
Date: June 11, 2013 11:13

laertisflash
I think the huge majority of the people who interest in the Stones music are happy for the same reason, Slew. Don't leave the board due to the ATTAFEC Party

Right on. Enjoy the great reviews and pictures from the fans who were actually there.

-------------------
Keep On Rolling smoking smiley

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: June 11, 2013 12:26

Did anyone here manage the duo: Attending the F1 Grand Prix and Stones Concert at the same day?

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: June 11, 2013 15:57

Apparently not. No one made the duo Stones and F1 the same day!

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: June 11, 2013 16:15

Stoneage
Apparently not. No one made the duo Stones and F1 the same day!

Through the magic of YouTube and TV...I in fact made this rare duo...it was unfulfilling...

Posted by: sanQ ()
Date: June 11, 2013 19:45

I'll take any Keith Richards than none at all. In 2006, I could tell he was slowing down. I was surprised when I saw the show. Seemed even a little depressed with no expression a lot. He got better as the gigs went on but it was a sharp contrast to what I saw even 3 years earlier. Any Stones is better than none. I am grateful that they are still here to play for us.

Posted by: rollingon ()
Date: June 11, 2013 19:56

sanQ
I'll take any Keith Richards than none at all. In 2006, I could tell he was slowing down. I was surprised when I saw the show. Seemed even a little depressed with no expression a lot. He got better as the gigs went on but it was a sharp contrast to what I saw even 3 years earlier. Any Stones is better than none. I am grateful that they are still here to play for us.

Yes, you are right, it's really a miracle they are still performing and there are still really great moments in the shows, it's so easy to ask for everything and take things for granted and I think that even in their greatest years every show and every song wasn't so perfect we might now think.

Posted by: angee ()
Date: June 11, 2013 20:32

slew, please stick around...
good can outweigh the bad.

~"Love is Strong"~

Posted by: MKjan ()
Date: June 11, 2013 21:07

slew
I'm happy to have the Stones with us and playing at a fairly high level. I'm about done with this board. The people here have become tiresome. As Rick Pitino once said when he coached the Celtics "The negativity here sucks".

Don't let the whiners get to you....I've now been to 58 countries...people every where love the stones. I listen to fair criticism, but most of the whiners here
sound like miserable short bus people.....they ain't worth a second of time.

Posted by: lem motlow ()
Date: June 11, 2013 21:10

slew

my theory is these stones sites collect alot of people who are just "classic rock" fans. their actual favorite band folded up years ago so they hover like flys around the last band standings site even though the rolling stones are probably their 5th favorite group.

they dont understand the simplest things about the stones and make these dumb complaints about every note not being perfect and in the next sentence will make another complaint about the band being too structured and call them a "vegas act"

they just cant find enough things to dislike, because no matter how good the rolling stones are-in their minds it will never equal their beloved beatles or led zeppelin or whoever.

i always made fun of dougs site for being "too 1965" and fawning over the band but i'll admit there were a couple of times on this tour i had to go over there to get a report on a show because iorr was filled with people who weren't even at the show and were ripping the band over a cell phone video they saw.

Posted by: Rokyfan ()
Date: June 11, 2013 21:24

My theory is that the vast majority of writings here are positive, but there are a certain number of people who expect unanimity, expect virtually all positive stuff so anything critical becomes whining and the fact that there are always going to be people critical translates into "this board is ridiculous, it's supposed to be fans, everybody is critical."

it is exactly the same on every fan board for every artist I am familiar with.

This is open to the public. people disagree. There are people who think Gimme Shelter is overrated, I think it is the greatest Stones song ever It is always going to be that way.

To me. the whiners are the ones who complain about anything negative; they need all positive views because they are insecure in their own opinions. If it bothers you that you liked a show and someone else thought it sucked, then you have a problem, not the person who didn't like it.

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011Next
Current Page: 9 of 11

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1942
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home