Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011Next
Current Page: 8 of 11
Re: Hey Keith,Bernard Perusse of the Montreal Gazette Needs To Be Shown The Blade Eh
Posted by: lazzzybones ()
Date: June 10, 2013 18:32

Wow.Is it REALLY that bad?

Re: Hey Keith,Bernard Perusse of the Montreal Gazette Needs To Be Shown The Blade Eh
Posted by: MartinB ()
Date: June 10, 2013 18:33

I do think this is the last time, and it probably should be. But will go to both Hyde Park gigs anyway.

Posted by: mnewman505 ()
Date: June 10, 2013 18:38

No Security better than the Licks tour???? Give me a break, try listening to anything from fall of 2002.

Posted by: lazzzybones ()
Date: June 10, 2013 18:39

I'll just listen to my Stones tunes.But I won't bag them.

Posted by: windmelody ()
Date: June 10, 2013 18:43

mnewman505
No Security better than the Licks tour???? Give me a break, try listening to anything from fall of 2002.

Keith Richards played much better in 1999 than on the Licks tour. After Licks his decline was brutal, the differences between 2003 and 2005 recordings are dramatic. He has recovered a bit, but he is living from his past only.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-06-10 18:50 by windmelody.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: June 10, 2013 18:43

mnewman505

Just going by my own ears, that were there to hear No Security and the Licks Tour. Licks was flaccid compared to No Security, at least the nights I went, Anaheim for No Security, and Staples Center in LA for Licks. I'll admit they could have been having an off night on the night I saw them in 2002, but I'll still put No Security up against anything they did on stage in the Post Wyman era. They were hot from extensive touring and they stripped it down and brought it inside to arenas. Charlie was never better and Keith was transcendent.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: June 10, 2013 19:09

StonesTod
treaclefingers
lazzzybones
So was this journo right? So it's ok to ridicule Keithiabout his appearance is it? That Yoda comment proved to me this idiot is just having a go-stuff 'im-it's blade time for that smart arse.

I agree that physical appearance comments are out of line, but I think this tour is being widely regarded as 'best tour ever!' despite Keith's contributions, not because of them.

I did enjoy his Toronto mini set mind you.

did he do that get up off his knees mind-blower at your show???

no, and he had to use the clapper to signal Mick to come back out on stage.

Date: June 10, 2013 19:11

24FPS
Can we knock off this 'best tour ever' crap? I don't know where it started, but if it's sarcasm, okay. It's nice to see the boys, it's great to have a song like Emotional Rescue played, it's good to have Mick Taylor on Midnight Rambler, but this sure as hell ain't the 'best tour ever'. It's more like, 'well, the post Wyman peak was No Security, so this is kind of a Licks tour without the extended mini setlists from particular albums'. That's awkward sounding, but close to the truth.

Keith has moments, that's it. Flashes of a past gone by. The warhorses are so worn and tired there's little magic to find in Tumbling Dice, and especially Sympathy For The Devil. And yes, I've attended a concert so I know what I'm talking about. It's a good show with little imagination. Like older men, they're warming up the more this thing goes along, but they can no longer perform at the high level it would take to bring this set in concrete setlist to new heights. And make no mistake, this is not about the new. This is struggling to be a semblance of the old. If Mick wasn't in such good physical shape, this would be sad.

Not only good physical shape, he's actually singing and quite well most of the time.

And they all look good...Best Tour Hair Ever!

Re: Montreal June 9 Stones show live updates
Posted by: bv ()
Date: June 10, 2013 19:31

Thrylan
Is that Win cat like 7 feet tall?!?

Yes

Bjornulf

Posted by: rollingon ()
Date: June 10, 2013 19:54

Thrylan
andrewt
Keith Richards is treading water at best. But I still enjoyed the hell out of the shows I went to.

Well said....live is an "event", however, I think even Taylorites must admit, Ronnie is perfect for the job at hand. So sympathetic..... he kind of sits and waits to see if Keith falters(SFTD), and when he does, unobtrusively plays a studio lick, or something that doesn't steal the stage, but moves the song along. I don't think MT could or would provide this kind of safety net.......as I mentioned a couple weeks ago, Ronnie is a good wife.

Yes, you are absolutely right here.

Posted by: proudmary ()
Date: June 10, 2013 20:33

"The Human Riff looked tired, a tad uninspired, and I don’t think he ever once looked in Jagger’s direction all night".

This really should be The Last Time for The Rolling Stones
[blogs.montrealgazette.com]

I wonder what's going on behind the curtain

Posted by: hot stuff ()
Date: June 10, 2013 20:48

Funny another review called dead Flower poor...

Wonder which review is right..

Posted by: rollingon ()
Date: June 10, 2013 21:05

proudmary
"The Human Riff looked tired, a tad uninspired, and I don’t think he ever once looked in Jagger’s direction all night".

This really should be The Last Time for The Rolling Stones
[blogs.montrealgazette.com]

I wonder what's going on behind the curtain

If Keith would be in the same physical and mental condition as Jagger, we would have an awesome tour going on, Jagger really saves the situation for the Stones right now and by the way I'm a huge Keith fan as I'm saying this...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-06-10 21:05 by rollingon.

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: June 10, 2013 21:07

bv
Thrylan

Yes

Had to look it up, being detail-oriented, and it turns out he's not quite that tall at 6'4½" (1m94) but the Stones being rather smallish (Mick officially 5'10/1m78...optimistic?) he kinda stood out!

Posted by: Thrylan ()
Date: June 10, 2013 21:33

gotdablouse
bv
Thrylan

Yes

Had to look it up, being detail-oriented, and it turns out he's not quite that tall at 6'4½" (1m94) but the Stones being rather smallish (Mick officially 5'10/1m78...optimistic?) he kinda stood out!

I was exaggerating, and MT was the only Stone ever over 6', but the dude looked menacing..... guess he had some type of thick souled shoes on too.

Posted by: andrewt ()
Date: June 10, 2013 21:53

Thrylan
andrewt
Keith Richards is treading water at best. But I still enjoyed the hell out of the shows I went to.

Well said....live is an "event", however, I think even Taylorites must admit, Ronnie is perfect for the job at hand. So sympathetic..... he kind of sits and waits to see if Keith falters(SFTD), and when he does, unobtrusively plays a studio lick, or something that doesn't steal the stage, but moves the song along. I don't think MT could or would provide this kind of safety net.......as I mentioned a couple weeks ago, Ronnie is a good wife.

Ronnie is the secret weapon on this tour. He's got my vote for MVP.

Posted by: Alfonz ()
Date: June 10, 2013 21:57

Watching Win Butler on stage, also reminded me how short all of the Stones are.

I find it strange you could get so many guys together (including Wyman and Jones ... at 168cm, the shortest of the lot) and have them all largely being midgets. Maybe Taylor the only one who might be "average" height.

Not to mention Chuck and Bobby Keys are also midgets. How tall was Ian Stewart? Darryl is not tall either, maybe same height as Jagger.

Date: June 10, 2013 22:13

andrewt
Thrylan
andrewt

I think his "value" as a Stone is becoming evident.

Posted by: paulm ()
Date: June 10, 2013 22:19

Thrylan
gotdablouse
bv
Thrylan

Yes

I was exaggerating, and MT was the only Stone ever over 6', but the dude looked menacing..... guess he had some type of thick souled shoes on too.

I'm 5'9 and having stood next to MT, no way he's 6', more like 5'10. No way is Jagger 5'10 either. I'm guessing 5'7. Ditto on McCartney; a friend of mine who is 6" said Macca is about 5'8.

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: June 10, 2013 22:20

Alfonz

I find it strange you could get so many guys together (including Wyman and Jones ... at 168cm, the shortest of the lot) and have them all largely being midgets. Maybe Taylor the only one who might be "average" height.

Not to mention Chuck and Bobby Keys are also midgets. How tall was Ian Stewart? Darryl is not tall either, maybe same height as Jagger.

the stones are all shorties cos they are british war babies...rationing made all babies small there....and small babies become shorties as adults.

Date: June 10, 2013 22:26

I am going solely on the Jagger quote of,"surely we can find another 6'3" guitarist that can do his own make up." That's a stretch, but he looked a bit taller.

Posted by: Alfonz ()
Date: June 10, 2013 22:58

Thrylan
I am going solely on the Jagger quote of,"surely we can find another 6'3" guitarist that can do his own make up." That's a stretch, but he looked a bit taller.

Of course Jagger would say that ... that makes him over 6ft tall himself.

Posted by: Bob C. ()
Date: June 10, 2013 23:39

24FPS
Can we knock off this 'best tour ever' crap? I don't know where it started, but if it's sarcasm, okay. It's nice to see the boys, it's great to have a song like Emotional Rescue played, it's good to have Mick Taylor on Midnight Rambler, but this sure as hell ain't the 'best tour ever'. It's more like, 'well, the post Wyman peak was No Security, so this is kind of a Licks tour without the extended mini setlists from particular albums'. That's awkward sounding, but close to the truth.

Keith has moments, that's it. Flashes of a past gone by. The warhorses are so worn and tired there's little magic to find in Tumbling Dice, and especially Sympathy For The Devil. And yes, I've attended a concert so I know what I'm talking about. It's a good show with little imagination. Like older men, they're warming up the more this thing goes along, but they can no longer perform at the high level it would take to bring this set in concrete setlist to new heights. And make no mistake, this is not about the new. This is struggling to be a semblance of the old. If Mick wasn't in such good physical shape, this would be sad.

They must have really tanked in Montreal. Here were my comments from Toronto on May 25th. I could not disagree with you more. But...it's a free country.

"I know I am coming to this thread late but I was at the Toronto show and want to add my thoughts. I have seen every tour (sans licks) since 75. Toronto was outstanding from every standpoint. I think that the Rolling Stones shows had become too Vegas starting with VDL and getting more Vegas every tour. Don't get me wrong, I loved the shows, and most people were blown away - but the music was just a part of the show and especially the guitars were just part of the wall of sound.
Now the guitars are right out front and much cleaner. Keith's phrasing is outstanding, clearly compensating for any loss of speed or accuracy. I think fewer horns, and no rhythm via Blondie has helped as well.
For years is has been about the show; now it is about the music. Keith is doing less dancing and more guitar playing. He is a much better guitar player than dancer."

Date: June 11, 2013 00:14

StonesTod
Alfonz

the stones are all shorties cos they are british war babies...rationing made all babies small there....and small babies become shorties as adults.

I thought the chain smoking during that era would have counteracted that effect.

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: June 11, 2013 00:20

treaclefingers
StonesTod
Alfonz

I thought the chain smoking during that era would have counteracted that effect.

the fags were shorties too - everybody had to sacrifice

Date: June 11, 2013 00:21

andrewt
Thrylan
andrewt

If we take Mick Jagger out of the equation then I agree.

MJ is the defacto MVP on every tour.

Indefatigable.

Posted by: Jesse ()
Date: June 11, 2013 01:10

What's happened to this forum? It's gone from great comments to a few clowns refering to people as "midgets" and Keith Richards as "Yoda."

Some humor. I guess you'll laugh then if someone calls MT a bloated parade float whose eyes you can barely see. (It's not funny is it?)

re Keith's playing, have you seen pictures of his fingers? He has really bad arthritis which I'm sure is present in other parts of his body which most likely is why he moves slower and stands a little stooped. It's amazing he can play as well as he does.

But you clowns just laugh at someone has such an ailment but who shows up to perform anyway. You are ignorant. What do you do? Let's see how smart-ass you are when you get old and your fingers are gnarled and you can barely tie your shoes.

I won't comment on the "midget" remark. You're just aching for a fight. How tall are you by the way? Are you thin and in shape. Jagger probably would make you look like a fool in a gym.

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: June 11, 2013 01:24

There have been a lot of comments that seem to peg Keith as the weak link in the line-up and numerous flubbed intros and other guitar parts have been mentioned as well.

People are forgetting that Keith has to take the anti-seizure medication, dilantin, on a daily basis, and there are numerous side effects--particularly for long-term users, which Keith now is--among them muddled coordination. Consider also that during the second half of the Bigger Bang tour, Keith was also drinking heavily in combination with this drug.

Here is a list of the common side effects:

jerking movements of the eyes
decreased coordination
shaking of the hands
slowed thinking and movement
memory problems
slurred speech
poor concentration

Full details at: [www.epilepsy.com]

Long-term use can also cause a calcium and vitamin D imbalance, resulting in impaired and weakened bone structure.

Full range of side effects listed at: [www.webmd.com]

Posted by: andrewt ()
Date: June 11, 2013 01:27

treaclefingers
andrewt
Thrylan
andrewt

If we take Mick Jagger out of the equation then I agree.

MJ is the defacto MVP on every tour.

Indefatigable.

Oh yeah... Definitely the non-Jagger MVP

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: June 11, 2013 01:31

Bob C.
24FPS

They must have really tanked in Montreal. Here were my comments from Toronto on May 25th. I could not disagree with you more. But...it's a free country.

"I know I am coming to this thread late but I was at the Toronto show and want to add my thoughts. I have seen every tour (sans licks) since 75. Toronto was outstanding from every standpoint. I think that the Rolling Stones shows had become too Vegas starting with VDL and getting more Vegas every tour. Don't get me wrong, I loved the shows, and most people were blown away - but the music was just a part of the show and especially the guitars were just part of the wall of sound.
Now the guitars are right out front and much cleaner. Keith's phrasing is outstanding, clearly compensating for any loss of speed or accuracy. I think fewer horns, and no rhythm via Blondie has helped as well.
For years is has been about the show; now it is about the music. Keith is doing less dancing and more guitar playing. He is a much better guitar player than dancer."

Like I said, it's good to see the boys out there. The difference is that I didn't pay much attention to Jagger in the past. I was honed in on Keith and Charlie (after Wyman left). It all kind of evened out on the Licks tour with no one really standing out. Then by A Bigger Bang it seemed that Jagger was the outstanding one, with Keith and Charlie receding. Ronnie, by contrast, has become more valuable as Keith barely seems able to pull off even the shortest of leads.

That doesn't mean Keith can't still ring out a dangerous chord or two, but he's now fairly limited. And I'm not making fun of his arthritis. I love Keith for what he's given over the years. But let's not pretend we're hearing a concert from the 80s. Keith has put his body through hell. I still enjoyed seeing Muddy Waters sitting on a stool in 1978, but I didn't pretend it was the same Muddy Waters from the Newport Festival in the early 60s, dancing across the stage. And I'm sure the band still has good nights that peel back the years a bit. More power to them. They're fun to see and a good time is had by all.

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011Next
Current Page: 8 of 11

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1588
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home