Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011Next
Current Page: 7 of 11
Re: Montreal June 9 Stones show live updates
Posted by: Thrylan ()
Date: June 10, 2013 16:41

Agreed, but kind of flows better that way live.....can't be too crazy

Date: June 10, 2013 16:42

I liked the acoustic version they did as well.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-06-10 16:43 by DandelionPowderman.

Date: June 10, 2013 16:56

I forgot about this one....nice.

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: June 10, 2013 17:02

DandelionPowderman
Isn't the snoring actually in the beginning of 2000 Man?

It's part of In Another Land on CDs.

On vinyl and cassette it's what ever yah want. grinning smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-06-10 17:06 by His Majesty.

Date: June 10, 2013 17:04

duffydawg
"Moments of pure musicality were rarer in the high-octane nostalgia fest, but a few were there for the taking. Consider Wood’s solo during You Got the Silver or special guest and one-time Stone Mick Taylor — all but impossible to recognize, but still a devastating guitarist — leaving his trademark lyricism at the door and going for speed and stock riffs on Midnight Rambler, but pulling it off nonetheless."

Danielpowman, His Majesty, and other ant-taylorites.... another critic sees the obvious.

More MT Please!

He compliments your fav stone Ronnie, yah sure you want to trust his word? >grinning smiley<

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: June 10, 2013 17:16

OK...why did the Arcade Fire feller even bother with bringing a guitar out onstage..

all he did was make work for Mick, who had to go over there and get it so it wouldn't be a hazard onstage..

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: June 10, 2013 17:17

duke richardson
OK...why did the Arcade Fire feller even bother with bringing a guitar out onstage..

all he did was make work for Mick, who had to go over there and get it so it wouldn't be a hazard onstage..

This is how Keith and Ron feel when Jagger brings his prop guitar!!

Date: June 10, 2013 17:19

duke richardson

See bv's post.

Date: June 10, 2013 17:20

Munichhilton
duke richardson

This is how Keith and Ron feel when Jagger brings his prop guitar!!

well at least he actually plays it..and doesn't all of a sudden take it off and put it on the floor or whatever...

Date: June 10, 2013 17:21

His Majesty
duke richardson

See bv's post.

about what..?

Date: June 10, 2013 17:25

duke richardson
His Majesty
duke richardson

See bv's post.

about what..?

OK just saw it...thanks...

Posted by: Montrealsuperfan ()
Date: June 10, 2013 18:25

Ok- so here goes with my review. I got banged around a little last time- so I will preface with a few comments.

1) I am not a musician, have never played a note. I have seen the band 15 or 16 times- about twice per tour since '81 (round numbers). This makes me a fanatic in the real world (I know because I live in the real world) and a neophyte on this web site

2) I think Mick Taylor is a great player, but not a deity

3) Sat in the Pit last night. There was a grand total of 26 people granted early access. I talked to most of them in line and only a handful even knew who Mick Taylor was and that he was playing. One lady seemed to think Brian Jones was coming back from the dead.

4) They let us in around 6.20 PM and with so few people, we all get great seats on the rail. I was right in front of Ronnie and Chuck. The cool thing is, that 10 minutes later they let the $85 lottery winners in- before the regular crowd (they must have had a special entrance?). In any event there were at least 5 or 6 $85 winners either on the rail or row two. Taking some advice from one of BV's posts, my buddy and I started talking to the folks around us, bought them some drinks, while they saved our places and they then reciprocated. So we had a very efficient drink system going through the better then 2 hour wait. You guys aren't going to like this, but in talking to another 10 or 12 people in the pit, only one of them had a vague recolection of who Mick Taylor was. Everyone was there for the same reason as I- to have a good time !

Anyway on with the show.

The first four songs are all crowd pleasers and everyone in the packed house was on thei feet the whole show. My personal favorite is Shelter and Keith did a very credible job on the intro. I think Lisa is lights out and she killed it.

Next was either Wild Horses or Dead flowers- can't remember to sequence. Wild Horses is a huge crowd favorite and the school mom ($85 winner) beside me started to weep. I really like Dead Flowers. The guitar work was great and a good jam at the end. Looking around, it was obvious that no one else around me had ever heard this song. This was a post Grand Prix show packed with casual fans and Mick read this perfectly. No use pulling out Sway, Winter or CYHMK if no one has heard it.

The Arcade Fire song was bizarre. The singer left his guitar on the stage and Mick being a fastidious professional "cleaned it up" and that was it for the guitar. He did throw his mike into the crowd.

Fast Forward - Silver was OK and then I saw them take out that sitting down guitar that Ronnie plays on Happy and I was "Happy" as it was a change from Toronto.

The highlight of the show was easilly Rambler. My ears are already shot from too many concerts, but I would urge everyone to wear ear plugs! I am not a guitar player , but as a fan I thought MT killed it. Jaggers harp was extremely loud and powerful. Some funny parts on this one- at point point MT didn't have the right guitar pick (some sort of metal thing) and he got very upset, yelling at Charlie and finally a roadie came over to give it to him. Also at one point he leaned on Ronnie's shoulder and pretended to fall asleep?

As far as the war horses go my favorites are SFTD and Satisfaction. Keith called an audible during Satisfaction - he called Ronnie over, they had a brief discussion and then the decided to go out on the cat walk for most of the guitar parts. MT looked confused and gave Charlie some funny looks.

There you go- another great show.

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: June 10, 2013 18:44

From now on I'm always going to call any pedal or lap steel...a "sitting down guitar"

Why not ...we've got stand up basses !

Posted by: TimeIs ()
Date: June 10, 2013 18:58

Video of The Last Time & Dead Flowers from a Montreal online newspaper:

[www.lapresse.ca]

Posted by: rollingon ()
Date: June 10, 2013 19:13

flacnvinyl
DandelionPowderman
flacnvinyl

Aside from the mic not being live when Win started, its a pretty decent version. I still prefer the b2b version.

I imagined you liked this one more, Drake - because they did play it faster now than on previous versions smiling smiley

Indeed! It is also smart for Charlie to lightly keep that highhat going during the intro for grounding. A few bum notes here n there but overall a fun track.

I must be honest here, it's sometimes a little annoying when Keith plays the solos not in the rhythm of the song, as in this in about 1:50, Keith can play riffs and rhythm so well but his timing in solos is sometimes really bad. Still in 81/82 tours he could play also solos much better, but ok, it was a long time ago.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-06-10 19:18 by rollingon.

Hey Keith,Bernard Perusse of the Montreal Gazette Needs To Be Shown The Blade Eh
Posted by: lazzzybones ()
Date: June 10, 2013 13:32

Just read a review on the net written by the above clown and I quote: "Ronnie Wood really does do almost all the hard work on guitar with Keith Richards having become A BIT OF A JOKE as a musical presence.Richards-stooped and slow moving,looking like Yoda in a fright wig-is clearly more comfortable now with the ragged Chuck Berry riffs he injects into It's Only Rock and Roll than with his spotlight introductions to Gimmie Shelter and Paint It,Black,both of which he barely managed." I left the comma in PIB's title as that how it was presented. I've outed him Keith.Now let's get a posse together.

Re: Hey Keith,Bernard Perusse of the Montreal Gazette Needs To Be Shown The Blade Eh
Posted by: dcba ()
Date: June 10, 2013 15:29

You're more pathetic than this Perusse guy...

Re: Hey Keith,Bernard Perusse of the Montreal Gazette Needs To Be Shown The Blade Eh
Date: June 10, 2013 16:23

dcba
You're more pathetic than this Perusse guy...
Why? Because I don't like the tone of this guys review on Keith? You wanna loosen up a bit bcba.

Posted by: andrewt ()
Date: June 10, 2013 16:41

Keith Richards is treading water at best. But I still enjoyed the hell out of the shows I went to.

Posted by: redsock ()
Date: June 10, 2013 16:44

Date: June 10, 2013 16:48

andrewt
Keith Richards is treading water at best. But I still enjoyed the hell out of the shows I went to.

Well said....live is an "event", however, I think even Taylorites must admit, Ronnie is perfect for the job at hand. So sympathetic..... he kind of sits and waits to see if Keith falters(SFTD), and when he does, unobtrusively plays a studio lick, or something that doesn't steal the stage, but moves the song along. I don't think MT could or would provide this kind of safety net.......as I mentioned a couple weeks ago, Ronnie is a good wife.

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: June 10, 2013 17:36

hey, folks - if you don't have anything good to say about keith...then don't post on that thread about bernard and lisa....

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: June 10, 2013 17:44

I think Keith's best move at Toronto 2 was skidding on his knees at one point...although I think the audience collectively thought, "that's probably not advisable".

Still, he did get up.

Date: June 10, 2013 17:46

So was this journo right? So it's ok to ridicule Keithiabout his appearance is it? That Yoda comment proved to me this idiot is just having a go-stuff 'im-it's blade time for that smart arse.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: June 10, 2013 17:52

lazzzybones
So was this journo right? So it's ok to ridicule Keithiabout his appearance is it? That Yoda comment proved to me this idiot is just having a go-stuff 'im-it's blade time for that smart arse.

I agree that physical appearance comments are out of line, but I think this tour is being widely regarded as 'best tour ever!' despite Keith's contributions, not because of them.

I did enjoy his Toronto mini set mind you.

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: June 10, 2013 17:57

treaclefingers
lazzzybones

I agree that physical appearance comments are out of line, but I think this tour is being widely regarded as 'best tour ever!' despite Keith's contributions, not because of them.

I did enjoy his Toronto mini set mind you.

did he do that get up off his knees mind-blower at your show???

Posted by: greenriver ()
Date: June 10, 2013 18:04

It's a long time that Ronnie is doing the job. Keith try to do his best now after years of posing on stage and under alcohol. Nothing surprised after the way of life he lived.

Posted by: Rokyfan ()
Date: June 10, 2013 18:07

lazzzybones

the Yoda line was funny, grab a sense of humor. The blade stuff is not funny, makes you sound stupid. I'm sure Keith hasn't pulled a blade on anything stronger than an apple in decades. You?

Date: June 10, 2013 18:16

Rokyfan
lazzzybones

the Yoda line was funny, grab a sense of humor. The blade stuff is not funny, makes you sound stupid. I'm sure Keith hasn't pulled a blade on anything stronger than an apple in decades. You?
I see it the other way around.The journo's Yoda comment was stupid and my blade comment funny.So perhaps you can grab a sense of humor instead of getting all concerned about the blade.Oh, and my doctor told me I'm not allowed to play with sharp objects.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: June 10, 2013 18:21

Can we knock off this 'best tour ever' crap? I don't know where it started, but if it's sarcasm, okay. It's nice to see the boys, it's great to have a song like Emotional Rescue played, it's good to have Mick Taylor on Midnight Rambler, but this sure as hell ain't the 'best tour ever'. It's more like, 'well, the post Wyman peak was No Security, so this is kind of a Licks tour without the extended mini setlists from particular albums'. That's awkward sounding, but close to the truth.

Keith has moments, that's it. Flashes of a past gone by. The warhorses are so worn and tired there's little magic to find in Tumbling Dice, and especially Sympathy For The Devil. And yes, I've attended a concert so I know what I'm talking about. It's a good show with little imagination. Like older men, they're warming up the more this thing goes along, but they can no longer perform at the high level it would take to bring this set in concrete setlist to new heights. And make no mistake, this is not about the new. This is struggling to be a semblance of the old. If Mick wasn't in such good physical shape, this would be sad.

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011Next
Current Page: 7 of 11

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1465
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home