Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011Next
Current Page: 6 of 11
Re: Montreal June 9 Stones show live updates
Posted by: noughties ()
Date: June 10, 2013 13:56

Dead Flowers? Put this played to death song to bed ASAP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!§!!!!!!!

Posted by: svt22 ()
Date: June 10, 2013 14:31

noughties
Dead Flowers? Put this played to death song to bed ASAP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!§!!!!!!!

Give that guitar to old school Taylor then, just like GS, SFTD, and SFM. (thanx doxa, you make sense grinning smiley).

Posted by: Thrylan ()
Date: June 10, 2013 14:40

Hasn't MT made enough mistakes in his two songs every night to put the whole MT can save anything, thing?

Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: June 10, 2013 14:44

Thrylan
Hasn't MT made enough mistakes in his two songs every night to put the whole MT can save anything, thing?

No.

Date: June 10, 2013 14:48

deleted.

Date: June 10, 2013 14:49

@ Thrylan:

I said "old school" Taylor. I have to admid MT gives me mixed emotions.
But then this band without him makes me doze off.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-06-10 14:50 by svt22.

Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: June 10, 2013 14:50

svt22

It are those mixed emotions that are the most interesting and entertaining ones. smiling smiley

Posted by: andrewt ()
Date: June 10, 2013 14:54

Thrylan
.....or Andrew wasn't there after spoiling us....of course, by having a special guest, there should have been about 10,000 younger, tech savvy fans with iPhones there. I'll go with alien abduction.

Aw shucks! Well to be fair others were also going live at the show like pale rider. What can I tell ya, Toronto is a Stones town.

Had I been at this show I would have been rather upset that two of three "rotation" songs were WH & DF-- snoozefest.

Bummer to hear Win Butler didn't work out- I had expected that to be a real highlight.

As for Emotional Rescue, well I guess for some it would be neat to hear but it's essentially a novelty song. It also goes on a bit too long at the show and one can't help but wonder what two other songs they could have heard instead.

Now bring on that YouTube video so our forensics team can determine whether the setlist was executed well in concert.

A side note (vermontoffender, if you live in Vermont, why weren't you at the Montreal show?)

Date: June 10, 2013 15:03

svt22
@ Thrylan:

My bad.....He has livened up MR and CYHMK, but his style of running a scale real fast doesn't work for me on a country styled tune.....The album solo is likely the best, IMO...

Date: June 10, 2013 15:06

Thrylan
svt22
@ Thrylan:

My bad.....He has livened up MR and CYHMK, but his style of running a scale real fast doesn't work for me on a country styled tune.....The album solo is likely the best, IMO...

The album solo was played by Taylor. IMO, the best one he did on this tune, especially in terms of sound.

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: June 10, 2013 15:08

Lien

Thanks for the link, wonder what possessed that tall dude (is it me or does he remind anyone else of Stephen Fry?) to drop his guitar ?! A good thing that Mick who likes things to be tidy just picked it up and took it to the guitar tech ;-)

Posted by: flacnvinyl ()
Date: June 10, 2013 15:13

Aside from the mic not being live when Win started, its a pretty decent version. I still prefer the b2b version.

Date: June 10, 2013 15:13

DandelionPowderman
Thrylan
svt22
@ Thrylan:

The album solo was played by Taylor. IMO, the best one he did on this tune, especially in terms of sound.

I know, but live he tended to lean more "pyrotechnic" if you will. Of course, live, I feel like he kind of gutted TD the same way.....pity, because at times, LIV for example, he did slow down and play with great feel.I feel the same way about Angus Young, for my money, his best moments are Ride On and Night Prowler. But that's just me.

Date: June 10, 2013 15:25

flacnvinyl

Aside from the mic not being live when Win started, its a pretty decent version. I still prefer the b2b version.

I imagined you liked this one more, Drake - because they did play it faster now than on previous versions smiling smiley

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: June 10, 2013 15:26

svt22
@ Thrylan:

So it's you snoring on Their Satanic Majesties Request!

Date: June 10, 2013 15:35

Is that Win cat like 7 feet tall?!?

Date: June 10, 2013 15:38

His Majesty
svt22
@ Thrylan:

Are you referring to Brian Jones? I cannot help it he passed away.

Date: June 10, 2013 15:43

svt22
His Majesty
svt22
@ Thrylan:

No, there's snoring at the end of In Another Land. grinning smiley

Date: June 10, 2013 15:49

His Majesty
svt22
His Majesty
svt22
@ Thrylan:

No, there's snoring at the end of In Another Land. grinning smiley

That's Mick.....how rude.

Date: June 10, 2013 16:00

Thrylan

Tis Bill. grinning smiley

Posted by: bv ()
Date: June 10, 2013 16:02

The crowd was hot hot hot in Montreal, as you could hear already during the fans intro video. As the video finished, the roof of the Centre Bell just lifted and the Stones took the stage. I took this great photo of Mick T and Ronnie, with Charlie in the background.

Win Butler did not get his guitar to work when he hit the center stage with Mick, so he dumped the guitar on the stage. Then funny thing Mick picked up the guitar to "clean the stage", handed the guitar over to one of the crew, and then joined Win for the microphone. Before Win left the stage, he threw his wireless microphone into the crowd Keith side. Someone on that side now own a great souvenir from the show!

Charlie enjoyed the show a lot, he smiled constantly through the show, as he watched the other band members strolling around on stage or just pure excietement at this stage of the tour. If you have not seen them already on this tour then this is the time now. They are safe, comfortable with each others, Mick Taylor is part of the band seamless, Charlie and Darryl equally in sync, and they are sharp, focused still just as relaxed as they need to be in order to make the show great and exciting, with a few glitches here and there.

More photos here, also some more comments coming soon:

[www.iorr.org]

Bjornulf

Posted by: andrewt ()
Date: June 10, 2013 16:10

Review from the Monteal Gazette ought to get some reaction. Reveals some hard truths but as BV said, if you live in Boston, Philly or D.C. And are on the fence-- just go! It's a fun night and a must to see at least once if you love the Stones. And on that note...

MONTREAL — Trotting out a set almost entirely made up of vintage hits and fan favourites at Sunday night’s Bell Centre concert, the Rolling Stones pulled off the tightrope-walking feat of providing evidence for both sides in the debate of whether time is still on theirs.

Mostly, the conventional wisdom of recent years held true. Mick Jagger remains a force of nature at almost 70, one whose physical energy onstage can only be looked upon with slack-jawed admiration. Charlie Watts, still with the most dependable left-hand snap in the business, makes everything look so easy. Ronnie Wood really does do almost all the hard work on guitar, with Keith Richards having become a bit of a joke as a musical presence. Richards — stooped and slow-moving, looking like Yoda in a fright wig — is clearly more comfortable now with the ragged Chuck Berry riffs he injects into It’s Only Rock ’n’ Roll than with his spotlight introductions to Gimme Shelter and Paint It, Black, both of which he barely managed.

There can be no doubt that most of the 15,000-plus fans in attendance had made up their mind going in: they howled deliriously at the outset of every song, with the exception of last year’s just-OK Doom and Gloom and One More Shot — questionable inclusions, to be charitable. Even the icy lack of interaction between Jagger and Richards probably went unnoticed by them.

For reasons not everyone can fully grasp, Stones fans need to believe their boys have still got it, that they never sounded better and, most of all, that they’ll always be the world’s greatest rock ’n’ roll band. But anyone who has seen the group in their prime would be hard-pressed to argue that Sunday night’s concert was primo Stones. It was mostly respectable, adequately done retreads of their oldies: apart from the aforementioned 2012 tracks, the most recent song on the set list was Start Me Up, released 32 years ago.

Nonetheless, there were enough grin-inducing moments to make the event, at the very least, good fun — if nowhere near worth the $635 top price. (And truly, what live act could be?) The choice of Get Off of My Cloud as an opener, singer Lisa Fischer’s powerhouse vocals on Gimme Shelter, a spry Dead Flowers (by request from Montreal fans via a vote on the band’s website), a winningly joyous take on The Last Time, with special guest Win Butler of Arcade Fire trading vocals with Jagger, a blast of tenor sax from Bobby Keys on Emotional Rescue and Jagger’s hammy audience-baiting on Honky Tonk Women as he prowled the catwalk around the “tongue pit” in front of the stage — these were irresistible.

Moments of pure musicality were rarer in the high-octane nostalgia fest, but a few were there for the taking. Consider Wood’s solo during You Got the Silver or special guest and one-time Stone Mick Taylor — all but impossible to recognize, but still a devastating guitarist — leaving his trademark lyricism at the door and going for speed and stock riffs on Midnight Rambler, but pulling it off nonetheless.

You have to give it them, but it was a squeaker. Fifty is a good, round number. Let’s politely forget the “and counting” threat.

bperusse@montrealgazette.com

Twitter: bperusse

© Copyright (c) The Montreal Gazette

Read more: [www.montrealgazette.com] Centre/8501722/story.html#ixzz2VoZh4qui

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-06-10 16:11 by andrewt.

Posted by: flacnvinyl ()
Date: June 10, 2013 16:18

DandelionPowderman
flacnvinyl

I imagined you liked this one more, Drake - because they did play it faster now than on previous versions smiling smiley

Indeed! It is also smart for Charlie to lightly keep that highhat going during the intro for grounding. A few bum notes here n there but overall a fun track.

Posted by: duffydawg ()
Date: June 10, 2013 16:22

"Moments of pure musicality were rarer in the high-octane nostalgia fest, but a few were there for the taking. Consider Wood’s solo during You Got the Silver or special guest and one-time Stone Mick Taylor — all but impossible to recognize, but still a devastating guitarist — leaving his trademark lyricism at the door and going for speed and stock riffs on Midnight Rambler, but pulling it off nonetheless."

Danielpowman, His Majesty, and other ant-taylorites.... another critic sees the obvious.

More MT Please!

Date: June 10, 2013 16:23

duffydawg
"Moments of pure musicality were rarer in the high-octane nostalgia fest, but a few were there for the taking. Consider Wood’s solo during You Got the Silver or special guest and one-time Stone Mick Taylor — all but impossible to recognize, but still a devastating guitarist — leaving his trademark lyricism at the door and going for speed and stock riffs on Midnight Rambler, but pulling it off nonetheless."

Danielpowman, His Majesty, and other ant-taylorites.... another critic sees the obvious.

More MT Please!

<leaving his trademark lyricism at the door and going for speed and stock riffs>

You think that is a good thing?...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-06-10 16:30 by DandelionPowderman.

Date: June 10, 2013 16:30

His Majesty
Thrylan

Tis Bill. grinning smiley

That's why Mick is snoring.....took forever to let Keith sing by himself....interjects his self into everything....lol

Date: June 10, 2013 16:31

Isn't the snoring actually in the beginning of 2000 Man?

Date: June 10, 2013 16:34

DandelionPowderman

That's the hidden gem they'll never do. Loved Ace Frehley doing it with Kiss....lots of YouTube footage of that one, it rocks.

Date: June 10, 2013 16:37

Thrylan
DandelionPowderman

That's the hidden gem they'll never do. Loved Ace Frehley doing it with Kiss....lots of YouTube footage of that one, it rocks.

Yeah, it's a nice arrangement. He takes the magic off the song, and makes it a rock song, though. I like it myself.

Posted by: jazzbass ()
Date: June 10, 2013 16:39

bv
The crowd was hot hot hot in Montreal, as you could hear already during the fans intro video. As the video finished, the roof of the Centre Bell just lifted and the Stones took the stage. I took this great photo of Mick T and Ronnie, with Charlie in the background.

Win Butler did not get his guitar to work when he hit the center stage with Mick, so he dumped the guitar on the stage. Then funny thing Mick picked up the guitar to "clean the stage", handed the guitar over to one of the crew, and then joined Win for the microphone. Before Win left the stage, he threw his wireless microphone into the crowd Keith side. Someone on that side now own a great souvenir from the show!

Charlie enjoyed the show a lot, he smiled constantly through the show, as he watched the other band members strolling around on stage or just pure excietement at this stage of the tour. If you have not seen them already on this tour then this is the time now. They are safe, comfortable with each others, Mick Taylor is part of the band seamless, Charlie and Darryl equally in sync, and they are sharp, focused still just as relaxed as they need to be in order to make the show great and exciting, with a few glitches here and there.

More photos here, also some more comments coming soon:

[www.iorr.org]

Nice report BV, I hope to see you in Philly!

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011Next
Current Page: 6 of 11

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1858
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home