Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011Next
Current Page: 5 of 11
Re: Montreal June 9 Stones show live updates
Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: June 10, 2013 07:57

Green Lady
Max'sKansasCity
Thrylan
Seems like about half the number of pages in this thread.....does it mean something???
It could mean that it is Sunday, or that people forgot a show was tonight, or it might mean that people were watching Falling Skies and forgot, or that dont don't like to mulitask, or it could mean something much more sinisteR, like maybe they were all kidnapped and the kidnappers would not let the have internet access.

- or maybe they've been asleep, showtime over here being 2 a.m. and all.

oh, well in that case, we better keep our voices down, shhhhhhh

Posted by: Thrylan ()
Date: June 10, 2013 08:00

Oh the humanity! Lol! Kind of a running joke between friends; I am on the WV/OH border, and we had the Shenandoah Airship disaster just up the road. Well, they DID build the pyramids...... so probing is likely.
In a related story, I worked with an old carpenter who said when the aliens realized that the pyramids were 4" out of square, they took off to avoid embarrassment.

Date: June 10, 2013 08:01

News at 10:00

Posted by: bonddm ()
Date: June 10, 2013 08:02

Oh the humanity! Lol! Kind of a running joke between friends; I am on the WV/OH border, and we had the Shenandoah Airship disaster just up the road. Well, they DID build the pyramids...... so probing is likely

Hopefully they'll probe The Stones and instruct them to play some different songs and drop Emotional Rescue.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-06-10 08:06 by bonddm.

Posted by: GRC ()
Date: June 10, 2013 08:02

Just one question....who do u think is the greatest rock an roll band of all time????

Date: June 10, 2013 08:03

That looks like a drunken,"SSSHHHH!"

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: June 10, 2013 08:04

bonddm
Hopefully they'll probe The Stones and instruct them to play some different songs and drop Emotional Rescue.

Why? It's one of the only 'new' things they're doing. It's a great break from the rock and roll songs.

Date: June 10, 2013 08:08

GRC
Just one question....who do u think is the greatest rock an roll band of all time????

In short, the Stones. I cannot dig deeper within 24hrs of a show.

Some stage banter... maybe more videos from this poster to come ?

Posted by: MileHigh ()

The concert itself was nice, enjoyable. You can't get excited past a certain age but you can appreciate. Overall it was a great experience.

I remember the surprise upon seeing giant the Steel Wheels stage in 1989. You don't get those surprises or you can say the surprises come earlier nowadays and in a different form.

Rambler was quite good and Mick's singing was very good overall. Really quite someting. He only did something like two lines of falsetto for Emotional Rescue. Perhaps he felt that his voice was going to go the distance but he had to save it and not expend too much "capital" during Emotional Rescue.

There was a "moment," and that was Keith and Ronnie doing You Got the Silver with just two acoustic guitars. Keith was also in good vocal form (for Keith) tonight.

The audience had a good time and was moderately to very ethusiastic at times and there was an overal good vibe.

Sometimes it even felt like a disco in 1979 with all of the moveable spots fixed and not moving and flashing like "rain lights." Also, the cartoon-style animation of the giant hot curvy babe climbing the Empire State Building and being attacked by gorillas in biplanes was great!

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: June 10, 2013 08:10

vermontoffender
I would ask how many of the set list whiners have actually attended at least one show this tour, but they'd probably lie just to try and give a sense of validity to their inane opinions.

Not that it matters; most of the hard core whiners aren't fans anyway.

I went to a show, the opener in LA in fact. I'm a fan, but there just isn't enough variation. There's one tiny section in the first part for one or two songs to mixup an other wise static setlist. I'm not saying they don't perform them well, but there's really no reason to go to more than one show. You shouldn't accuse people of lying. My inane opinions are just as valid as your insipid assumptions.

Date: June 10, 2013 08:10

Do you think Mick looks at the warhorses and says, "Ohhh baby, there's solo many of you.....if you could just keep it cool, we can play ALL of you."

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: June 10, 2013 08:25

Max'sKansasCity
Some stage banter... maybe more videos from this poster to come ?

Time for another ssssshhhh! - I want to hear the man sing.

Date: June 10, 2013 08:28

ssshhhhhhhhh, peoples trying to be sleepy time

Date: June 10, 2013 08:29

Is this the only video of the evening......damn you aliens!
Seriously though, it is dead on here.

Date: June 10, 2013 08:36

Let's begin at the end with Satisfaction and the final bow:

Posted by: sabata ()
Date: June 10, 2013 08:38

Last Time

Date: June 10, 2013 08:42

They're enjoying that - 3 guitars busily at work on Satisfaction. Mick J looks like the lady of the house wondering where it's ever going to stop. Usual competition between Keith and Charlie to see whether the last musical noise on stage will be Charlie's cymbal or a Keith chord ringing away into silence.

Date: June 10, 2013 08:48

Wish I could find the headphones..... want to check it out....but everyone's asleep.....Grrr!

Posted by: TimeIs ()
Date: June 10, 2013 08:54

MileHigh
Brown Sugar was the War Horse that just didn't sound right. It was slow and just plodded along. I think that that one should be put to bed. I know it almost sounds in a way like sacriliege. It's a "young man's song" and they ain't young. That should be the instigaor to shake up the home stretch.

I hate faked encores and I know everybody does it. Play the full setlist and if there is real magic in the night _then_ play an ancore. Make it real.

That Arcade Fire guy came in on the vocals at the wrong time, the instantly got flustered and he took off his guitar right on the spot. He brought it back and handed it to a stage hand. Then he stood around like a wallflower for a few bars and then got back and started singing. So another guest artist Fail in my book.

The guitars were loud and brash from my seat. We were not getting full direct sound, something like a 60% direct sound 40% reverb sounnd. It was loud and so it didn't seem to matter. Sometimes Keith hit a hard chord and his guitar override all of the other sound from the entire band. It felt like it filled the entire building. I have never had a guitar sound at a concert jump out like that and bite me in the ass. It was like a wham of guitar thunder from Thor.

I don't agree with the Brown Sugar bit but The Last Time was indeed a disappointment (but then I was disappointed that it was chosen!). You're right about the sound - I thought it sounded clearer in 06 and 03.

I don't agree with everyone who says the Stones in 2013 are playing so much better than in previous years. They're generous in the amount of songs they're doing, but it's a little sloppy now and then (parts of Midnight Rambler, for example). All the shows I've seen them play before they were tighter overall (you notice it on certain endings, transitions, etc.) - and I felt they had more consistent energy on previous tours.

But all in all this was still a great show, it's great to see Taylor, the interaction of the band members, and Mick of course is the consummate showman who knows how to wow a crowd. He also spoke a lot of very well articulated French to the audience and mentioned they'd first played Montreal 48 years ago. It's also great when Keith and Ronnie come out on the ramps to play to the audience.

We moan about setlists but when you attend the concert the war horses are what liven the place up. The Wild Horses-Dead Flowers-The Last Time stretch was a quite a letdown in the energy/excitement (could have used a Some Girls number rather than DF! - especially after Horses). Doom and Gloom was really good and rocking, but One More Shot was, well, One More Shot... And then HTW really woke the crowd up after that one.

You Got the Silver was really well played: Keith sang it beautifully and Ronnie reproduced the slide on the record quite faithfully and with great skill. And really cool to have the choir on You Can't Always Get What You Want!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-06-10 08:59 by TimeIs.

Date: June 10, 2013 09:01

I could see how WH, DF and TLT could sound like country song, country song, not so special guest.....perhaps bad sequencing?

Date: June 10, 2013 09:04

Thrylan
I could see how WH, DF and TLT could sound like country song, country song, not so special guest.....perhaps bad sequencing?

Exactly! It makes you understand Mick who tends to stay with a setlist when he knows what works where. When The Whip Comes Down right in the middle there would have done some good.

Date: June 10, 2013 09:08

Or.....how about switching HTW with DF? I am a big fan of spreading out the warhorses.

Date: June 10, 2013 09:17

Oh, and Lisa did a great job on Shelter. A crowd favourite. smiling smiley (Keef messed up the intro a little bit, but did great on Paint It Black, unlike what the reviewer says in The Montreal Gazette. I hate reviewers.)

Posted by: sonomastone ()
Date: June 10, 2013 11:57

I thought keith missed up the gimme shelter intro when I saw them too. Is he really making a mistake or just playing it differently than in the past? I haven't gone back to listen. Seems weird that every show people report that he messed it up.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: June 10, 2013 12:11

What's cool in that torso "The Last Time" is the way Jagger sings the verse... drops out the melody hook and just talk-like shouts it through. I like that!

- Doxa

Date: June 10, 2013 13:02

Wish I was there... thumbs up

Posted by: Lien ()
Date: June 10, 2013 13:40

Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: June 10, 2013 13:42

Justin Tang, The Gazette

Posted by: kowalski ()
Date: June 10, 2013 13:45

Can't Always Get

Sympathy

Dead Flowers

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2013-06-10 13:48 by kowalski.

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011Next
Current Page: 5 of 11

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1984
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home