Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
50 Years ago: Rolling Stones' 1st UK-Single
Posted by: Irix ()
Date: June 7, 2013 01:00

7th June 1963: The Rolling Stones release their first UK-Single, a cover of Chuck Berry's "Come On".

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2018-06-08 17:30 by Irix.

Re: 50 Years today: Rolling Stones' 1st UK-Single
Posted by: lazzzybones ()
Date: June 7, 2013 01:05

Micks got the falsetto going on the "come on!" chorusy bit and can still do it 50 years later!

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: June 7, 2013 01:09

At this moment, it's still the 6th June in UK. grinning smiley

It might be Bill who does the falsetto.

Posted by: MileHigh ()
Date: June 7, 2013 01:10

It's been an orgasmic 50 years!

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: June 7, 2013 01:13

I have all my dad's old Decca 45's, including Come On. The UK pressings didn't come with the picture sleeve, though.

Date: June 7, 2013 01:25

Irix

7th June 1963: The Rolling Stones release their first UK-Single, a cover of Chuck Berry's "Come On".

Big Al

The UK pressings didn't come with the picture sleeve, though.

Could be this:

Might look like a reissue from the late 60's:

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2013-06-07 14:00 by Irix.

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: June 7, 2013 01:32

1963 - Green Lady is off to school in Twickenham on her ancient and unreliable pushbike, hoping that today the chain won't come off yet again and make her arrive late and filthy from having to stop and reconnect it. All the three miles to school the song plays in her head and the pedals go up and down to the rhythm of "I wish someone would come along and run into it and wreck it" - and at school the older girls talk about the band they saw at the Island Hotel.

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: June 7, 2013 01:42

Green Lady
1963 - Green Lady is off to school in Twickenham on her ancient and unreliable pushbike, hoping that today the chain won't come off yet again and make her arrive late and filthy from having to stop and reconnect it. All the three miles to school the song plays in her head and the pedals go up and down to the rhythm of "I wish someone would come along and run into it and wreck it" - and at school the older girls talk about the band they saw at the Island Hotel.

thumbs up

Posted by: Rolling Hansie ()
Date: June 7, 2013 01:53

Green Lady

Ah, great post. Thank you

-------------------
Keep On Rolling smoking smiley

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: June 7, 2013 01:56

Green Lady

You sound like one of my older sisters grinning smiley.....great post GLady

Posted by: Britney ()
Date: June 7, 2013 02:21

Irix
Big Al

Might look like this:

That's a reissue. Most of the early sixties Stones UK-singles probably came in the standard orange Decca company sleeve?

www.rsundercover.eu

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: June 7, 2013 02:34

ROCKMAN

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: June 7, 2013 02:46

Green Lady

Your wonderful story made me smile, Green Lady. What a great childhood memory for you. smiling smiley

Posted by: jazzbass ()
Date: June 7, 2013 03:45

It's awesome that every few days for the next 50 years we'll be able to celebrate various 50th anniversaries for the Stones!

Posted by: lazzzybones ()
Date: June 7, 2013 03:53

1 minute 48 seconds! Shortest Stones single ever?

Posted by: jazzbass ()
Date: June 7, 2013 04:02

Let's have a listen...

Rolling Stones - Come On

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: June 7, 2013 07:18

Wow, thanks for the reminder, I'm going to play my original today. Would be interesting if The Stones played this live, at least once.

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: June 7, 2013 07:30

frankotero
Wow, thanks for the reminder, I'm going to play my original today. Would be interesting if The Stones played this live, at least once.
You should check the latest setlist. Sorry, but as many criticisms there are about the Stones, they are still awesome.

Date: June 7, 2013 08:15

Britney

Most of the early sixties Stones UK-singles probably came in the standard orange Decca company sleeve?

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: June 7, 2013 08:29

Those of you that want to go the extra step there is a picture sleeve export edition. And of course there's the super expensive UK demo version. I've only seen it in pictures. Any proud collector have that one?

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: June 7, 2013 08:41

Irix
Big Al

Might look like this:

A later pressing...original is in open DECCA letters not boxed, and in the orange not, azure coloured sleeve.

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: June 7, 2013 10:10

PS: It's still a great tune to cycle to, but of course now there is actual music on headphones instead of a persistent earworm from last night's Radio Luxembourg.

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: June 7, 2013 10:12

Yup.

(I had to get all my picture sleeves sent by my US pen pal, up until JJF. One of life's little ironies.)

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: June 7, 2013 10:24

It seems that Mick told about Come On 50th anniversary today on stage:

"Tomorrow our first single COME ON was released 50 years ago, I don't know if I can remember the lyrics" Charlie plays, Mick sings

[twitter.com]

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: June 7, 2013 10:40

His Majesty
At this moment, it's still the 6th June in UK. grinning smiley

It might be Bill who does the falsetto.

Or Keith.

By a complete fluke I heard this in the autumn of 1963
when one of my sister's classmates came back from a sojourn in the UK.
Who'da thunk it would turn into a habit of a lifetime -
thanks & praises, Rolling Stones!

Date: June 7, 2013 12:55

"Come on": a little snippet from the Original by Chuck Berry for comparison.

BTW: there is a new album with another original songs, later covered by the Rolling Stones (also available on iTunes):

Posted by: proudmary ()
Date: June 7, 2013 13:43

Mick Jagger 'over the moon' to hear debut single on the radio 50 years after its release

Sir Mick Jagger has recalled how he was "over the moon" to hear his first ever single on the radio - 50 years to the day after the track's release.

Exactly half a century ago today, The Rolling Stones issued their debut, "Come On", a Chuck Berry cover, less than a month after recording it for Decca Records.

The quintet recorded the song at Olympic Sound Studios in Barnes, south west London, on May 10 1963, a day after finalising their record deal.

They only ever played the song a few times live.

Frontman Sir Mick, speaking from Toronto during band's latest tour, said he still remembers the excitement of hearing the track on the radio for the first time.

"I was told by Decca that the record would be played that weekend by Brian Matthew on the big Saturday morning BBC show called Saturday Club, I was very doubtful if this was such a cert as Decca records had let us down so many times.

"But come the day I was glued to the radio at ten o'clock and there it was.

"First 45 played was ours - 'Come On'."

Sir Mick, who turns 70 next month, added: "We were, how's it go, over the moon."

Manager Andrew Loog Oldham wanted to get something out as quickly as possible.

Guitarist Keith Richards once said of the release: "At the time it was done just to get a record out.

"We never wanted to hear it.

"The idea was Andrew's - to get a strong single so they'd let us make an album which back then was a privilege."

Fans could expect to pay a few shillings for the track, if it was stocked by their local electrical store, but mint copies now change hands for £50. The track peaked at 21 in the charts.

When the one minute and 48-second song was recorded few could have ever imagined they would still be performing, but the band is currently on the road with its 50 & Counting Tour in Canada.

The Stones will headline Glastonbury Festival for the first time later this month, as well as playing two shows at London's Hyde Park in July.

Presenter Matthew, 84, is still hosting a BBC show on Saturday mornings, having hosted Sounds Of The 60s for the past 23 years on Radio 2.

[www.independent.co.uk]

Posted by: RobberBride ()
Date: June 7, 2013 14:39

Green Lady

Great!

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: June 7, 2013 23:28

RobberBride
Green Lady

Great!

More details please GL!

Posted by: jp.M ()
Date: June 8, 2013 00:04

Rockman

It was issued in UK two years later ....(this disc on Pye int.)

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2082
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home