Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: 50 Years today: Rolling Stones' 1st UK-Single
Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: June 8, 2013 00:21

treaclefingers
RobberBride
Green Lady
1963 - Green Lady is off to school in Twickenham on her ancient and unreliable pushbike, hoping that today the chain won't come off yet again and make her arrive late and filthy from having to stop and reconnect it. All the three miles to school the song plays in her head and the pedals go up and down to the rhythm of "I wish someone would come along and run into it and wreck it" - and at school the older girls talk about the band they saw at the Island Hotel.

Great!

More details please GL!

Details of what? In June 1963 I was one of those 13-year-old schoolgirls, (who only like disposable pop rubbish, as everyone here on IORR knows). Our school was in Twickenham, less than half a mile from Eel Pie Island, and I'd guess that quite a few of the older girls had already seen the Stones there or at the Crawdaddy before the record came out, so we knew all about Come On from the moment it appeared, and watched its progress in the Top Twenty with interest.

Eel Pie Island had a bit of a "reputation" among parents, and I wasn't old enough or rebellious enough to go there. But there were record players at friends' houses, and like most British teenagers I had a transistor radio and listened under the bedclothes to Radio Luxembourg playing the records that the stodgy BBC rationed to a few hours a week. Later there was the TV and the Friday night appointment with Ready Steady Go.

The albums sold well, but it was the singles that the girls bought and played to death that really made the Stones' reputation: Come On, I Wanna Be Your Man, Not Fade Away, It's All Over Now, Little Red Rooster, The Last Time, Satisfaction, Get Off My Cloud, 19th Nervous Breakdown, Paint It Black. And B-sides like Off the Hook and Play With Fire. Whether you loved the Stones or hated them, everybody in Britain knew all those singles. I don't remember much of the supposed Beatles/Stones rivalry - everybody loved the Beatles, but the Stones were ours. We didn't know that we were lucky enough to be in at the start of something so big - we only knew we loved that music.

Re: 50 Years ago: Rolling Stones' 1st UK-Single
Posted by: Irix ()
Date: June 8, 2013 10:05

Cristiano Radtke

It seems that Mick told about Come On 50th anniversary today on stage:

"Tomorrow our first single COME ON was released 50 years ago, I don't know if I can remember the lyrics" Charlie plays, Mick sings

[twitter.com]

50 & Counting Tour - Air Canada Centre Toronto - June 6, 2013:

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 2013-06-10 12:35 by Irix.

Posted by: steffiestones ()
Date: June 8, 2013 10:17

Sounds dynamic and looks wonderful!

Posted by: RobberBride ()
Date: June 8, 2013 10:43

steffiestones
Sounds dynamic and looks wonderful!

Love it!

Re: 50 Years today: Rolling Stones' 1st UK-Single
Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: June 8, 2013 11:21

Green Lady

I don't remember much of the supposed Beatles/Stones rivalry - everybody loved the Beatles, but the Stones were ours. We didn't know that we were lucky enough to be in at the start of something so big - we only knew we loved that music.

You didn't have that thing at your school where you had to be a Beatles fan or a Stones fan? We all loved the Beatles, but then the Stones came along and they were my guys immediately so I loved them EVEN MORE. But everybody else didn't, so there were hours of pointless squabbling about stuff like whether the Stones washed or not. eye rolling smiley

June 7 1963, Decca F. 11675
Posted by: Deltics ()
Date: June 7, 2013 06:45

Not the most auspicious debut record ever but from little acorns mighty oaks do grow.

[www.45cat.com]

"As we say in England, it can get a bit trainspottery"

Re: June 7 1963, Decca F. 11675
Posted by: sonomastone ()
Date: June 7, 2013 06:48

I think it is a great record actually.

Posted by: mighty stork ()
Date: June 7, 2013 07:33

What exactly is Impact Sound? It's listed under Production:. I know it had an impact on me.

Date: June 7, 2013 20:15

mighty stork
What exactly is Impact Sound? It's listed under Production:. I know it had an impact on me.

It was the production company set up by Andrew Oldham and Eric Easton.

Posted by: hot stuff ()
Date: June 7, 2013 20:18

2 Great cuts for the time..Plus it Got the Stones on the right track.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: June 7, 2013 20:20

Actually this is a big day. Just heard that also Jagger recognized that in Toronto.

Surely not the most memorable single by its own terms, but, you know, everyone needs to start somewhere.

Salute The Rolling Stones - 50 years as recording artists!smileys with beer

- Doxa

Date: June 7, 2013 21:24

To be very picky...the image in the first post is not the record released 50 years ago to the day, as it would have the M/T tax code smiling smiley
Nerdy I know, but if your looking for one today on Ebay...look for the right stuff.

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: June 7, 2013 22:18

RobberBride are you sure? Only "MT" tax code I know about is on the demo version. Maybe this is not right?

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: June 7, 2013 22:23

where can i get one?

Date: June 7, 2013 22:54

frankotero
RobberBride are you sure? Only "MT" tax code I know about is on the demo version. Maybe this is not right?

Hey!
Yes the M/T taxcode is on the first copies of the official "Come On" too. I have it in front of me.
Its not that hard to find on Ebay. Few sellers know about this detail, so you probably have to look at every image, hehe.

The M/T code was officially used from 1.1.1963 to 30.06.1963.'K/T' was used from July 1st, 1963 onwards. Sometime in 1968 'J/T' was introduced.

Date: June 8, 2013 00:01

RobberBride

Yes the M/T taxcode is on the first copies of the official "Come On" too. I have it in front of me.
Its not that hard to find on Ebay. Few sellers know about this detail, so you probably have to look at every image, hehe.

The M/T code was officially used from 1.1.1963 to 30.06.1963.'K/T' was used from July 1st, 1963 onwards. Sometime in 1968 'J/T' was introduced.

Good to know.

What's with the labeling: "Jewell Music" or "Jewel Music"?

Date: June 8, 2013 10:35

Irix
RobberBride

Good to know.

Typo!

Date: June 8, 2013 11:00

Deltics

Irix

Typo!

Yes ..... but which is the correct spelling and in which Editions does the Typo occur (to seperate the several Editions)?

The Demo-Sample contains the labeling "Jewel Music" (and of course, it has the M/T taxcode):

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-06-08 11:05 by Irix.

Date: June 8, 2013 11:15

Irix
Deltics

Irix

Typo!

Yes ..... but which is the correct spelling and in which Editions does the Typo occur (to seperate the several Editions)?

The Demo-Sample contains the labeling "Jewel Music" (and of course, it has the M/T taxcode):

"Jewel" is the correct spelling, you can see more label scans here.

Posted by: barbequebob ()
Date: June 8, 2013 11:48

wouldn't the words "Recording First Published in 1963", which appear at 9 o'clock on the label, also suggest that this is a re-issue? Can't imagine the original issue would say that. When you look at the images at the link, some just note 1963 as the copyright date.

Date: June 8, 2013 12:05

barbequebob

wouldn't the words "Recording First Published in 1963", which appear at 9 o'clock on the label, also suggest that this is a re-issue? Can't imagine the original issue would say that.

The labeling "Recording First Published 1963" is on the Demo-Sample too (under the F.11675 labeling):

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2013-06-08 12:20 by Irix.

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: June 8, 2013 12:07

Thanks for all the information guys. Would love to have a demo copy if I could find one that's affordable.grinning smiley

Re: 55 Years ago: Rolling Stones' 1st UK-Single
Date: June 8, 2018 17:30

Time flies .... 55 years now .... Happy Anniversary .... smileys with beer

Date: June 8, 2018 17:53

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: June 8, 2018 21:49

Deltics

grinning smiley

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: June 9, 2018 03:34

Hah, ace!

Posted by: diverseharmonics ()
Date: June 9, 2018 04:29

Irix
7th June 1963: The Rolling Stones release their first UK-Single, a cover of Chuck Berry's "Come On".

Should be playing it now...but too many people don't know it.....Jagger wouldn't dare. no balls.

Posted by: rollmops ()
Date: June 9, 2018 14:40

I like what Keith does on the intro; it seems to me that the way he riffs is very original, very british. Mick Green , Wilko, young Jimmy Page play similar riffs.Was Keith the first one to come up with the "pubrock riff"?
Rockandroll,
Mops

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: June 9, 2018 19:03

diverseharmonics
Irix
7th June 1963: The Rolling Stones release their first UK-Single, a cover of Chuck Berry's "Come On".

Should be playing it now...but too many people don't know it.....Jagger wouldn't dare. no balls.

To be fair, they have never liked playing Come On live, even in 1963.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1749
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home