Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1112131415161718192021Next
Current Page: 17 of 21
Re: Toronto-2 June 6 Stones show live updates
Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: June 8, 2013 02:29

JerkyLittleGIJoe

thumbs up I absolutely agree. The key is that seeing is believing. Then energy of being at the show, part of the show cannot come through the videos

So what to make of the reviews by people who were there that aren't positive? liars!?

What to make of the many fans of things such as the 1969 US tour who didn't witness it for themselves in person? Fake fandom base on unrepresentative recordings? You didn't witness them doing it in person etc etc so your opinion on them is null and void?

Studio recordings are meaningless because you weren't there when they were recorded!?

The in person live experience is a moment in time, when it passes it is gone for ever. Even in your mind, it is not the same as that moment. Your memory is a recording.

Please understand this. smiling smiley

Date: June 8, 2013 02:34

rebelrebel
DoomandGloom
palerider22
DandelionPowderman
StonesCat
paulm
Based on the posts, I don't even need to watch the vids to reach my conclusion...last night was pivotal for MT, and if the consensus is less than glowing, and he's still having trouble "gelling" or even playing in the beat, I'm turning 180 to say the band is better overall without him.

We all know that time changes things, and while MT certainly evolved musically over the years, he is inconsistent with the Stones; and, it would be a tall (but certainly not impossible) order to expect him to be consistent.

We had CYHMK in L.A., and that was such a good high, I'm all set with MT and the Stones at this point. It's just mudding up the sound.

Every review from fans that actually go to the shows always say Knocking and/or Rambler are great, and highlights from the shows. Then one or two of the same people analyze his solos from afar to the nth degree on here, and suddenly it was "pivotal" last night for him? Whaaa? That's some good comedy. You really wanna analyze each of the three's playing to that level?

Let's hear it from The Globe And Mail - Toronto, then:

"Can’t You Here Me Knocking : Former lead guitarist Mick Taylor, brought back in small nightly doses for this tour, stretched out like Carlos Santana on the sprawling Latin-grooved jam that makes up the song’s second part. He fumbled initially, and never did match the finesse of the recorded version from 1971’s Sticky Fingers . It was as if Taylor was trying to fit in all the notes he missed over the years, having left the band in 1974".

[www.theglobeandmail.com]
Too much over-analysis....The Globe guy is stretching for something to write. Like a couple of posters have already said....both CYMYK and MR sounded '#*$$*$# insane live... And I was in the 300's. They both hit 10 of 10 on the applause meter...
I liked last night's version and Taylor stretches out in a good way. Very old style, reminiscent of Jerry Garcia and Duane Allman at times... This ain't no juke box, his tone is fine in the videos and must have been huge for those attending.

At last, a positive comment! I was beginning to think I was on my own in liking it. Ten years ago it was the holy grail just to get CYHMK and Midnight Ramber in the same show, now we get them both with Taylor and it's still not enough. I guess I'll be told I'm not a musician if I like this version. Fair enough I'm not but it sounded nice to me and I'm praying they'll do both songs in Hyde Park.

ahh

re the Globe guy - piss off. some clown scribe who probably left before it was over anyway. not a real fan. just a hired hack. MT's solo was great and everyone there, including me, loved every second of it

same with rocks off - was fine, just fine

everything alright in the critic section?

Posted by: Thru and Thru ()
Date: June 8, 2013 02:42

Ruskafarian, thanks for posting your fabulous photos, those are truly amazing!

thumbs up

Lose your dreams and you will lose your mind...

Posted by: andrewt ()
Date: June 8, 2013 02:57

JerkyLittleGIJoe
andrewt
palerider22
gotdablouse
DandelionPowderman
Not too good, imo. Keith starts it way too slow, and Taylor is not doing a good solo...

Not as good as in LA but better than in CHI/3 I'd say, he was maybe a tad loud though, they really can't seem to get his sound right! Not sure if he was on the Rythm or Treble position this time, LA/2 was Rythm and it sounded better, so...

Thank you for the clip...but DO NOT be fooled by it. IN NO WAY does it capture the sound in the arena last night. It does not even come close! I can't believe how bad it is compared to what I heard in the upper balcony. Myself and the others who were there can attest to fact it sounded AMAZING! Everyone was grooving to it at the back of the arena, mostly standing. If you're going to Montreal, Philly or Boston this is not what it's going to sound like....

This is true. An off-note is still an off-note but the guitar tone is way meatier at the show, and the volume of course is essential. At the show you are actually feeling the music. No substitute for that. The crowd went bananas when the jam started, just the release of knowing the moment of glory has come electrified the place. During the jam, it felt like rock concerts used to feel back in the day, the vibe of stoners getting their synapses tickled, chicks dancing to the latin groove, people tossing a beach ball through the crowd, like the first day of summer vacation. I, of course, have a similar attitude to most about doing something to freshen up the warhorses (different placement in the set, rotation, less goddamn Chuck, less scripted arrangements etc.) but objectively I can say Paint It Black does not do much for the crowd or the diehards and should probably get dropped. If they went straight in Gimme Shelter after IORR the crowd would really get going. Emotional Rescue --the novelty is wearing off...fast. Again, the set could flow better at that point.
Doom & Gloom totally works in concert but One More Shot is pointless. Also, the "obscure" numbers can really work if the band just nailed the performance of them.
Warhorses you can get away with some lacklustre work because everyone knows and loves the song and is singing along. With the other tunes, you really need to sell it on stage. Worried About You wowed the crowd because Mick knocked it out of the park. Rocks Off or songs like it could as well if they were played with fire, conviction, and a modicum of efficiency.

thumbs up I absolutely agree. The key is that seeing is believing. Then energy of being at the show, part of the show cannot come through the videos

I find that this clip sounds a lot better

Posted by: DoomandGloom ()
Date: June 8, 2013 03:05

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-06-08 03:08 by DoomandGloom.

Posted by: kharrison ()
Date: June 8, 2013 03:07

Sounds like MT was going for some "women tone" during CYHMK, lead pickup with tone turned all the way down.

Date: June 8, 2013 03:10

kharrison
Sounds like MT was going for some "women tone" during CYHMK, lead pickup with tone turned all the way down.

Yeah, the obvious Clapton influence extends all the way through to 2013. winking smiley

Date: June 8, 2013 03:12

rebelrebel
DoomandGloom
palerider22
DandelionPowderman
StonesCat
paulm
Based on the posts, I don't even need to watch the vids to reach my conclusion...last night was pivotal for MT, and if the consensus is less than glowing, and he's still having trouble "gelling" or even playing in the beat, I'm turning 180 to say the band is better overall without him.

We all know that time changes things, and while MT certainly evolved musically over the years, he is inconsistent with the Stones; and, it would be a tall (but certainly not impossible) order to expect him to be consistent.

We had CYHMK in L.A., and that was such a good high, I'm all set with MT and the Stones at this point. It's just mudding up the sound.

Every review from fans that actually go to the shows always say Knocking and/or Rambler are great, and highlights from the shows. Then one or two of the same people analyze his solos from afar to the nth degree on here, and suddenly it was "pivotal" last night for him? Whaaa? That's some good comedy. You really wanna analyze each of the three's playing to that level?

Let's hear it from The Globe And Mail - Toronto, then:

"Can’t You Here Me Knocking : Former lead guitarist Mick Taylor, brought back in small nightly doses for this tour, stretched out like Carlos Santana on the sprawling Latin-grooved jam that makes up the song’s second part. He fumbled initially, and never did match the finesse of the recorded version from 1971’s Sticky Fingers . It was as if Taylor was trying to fit in all the notes he missed over the years, having left the band in 1974".

[www.theglobeandmail.com]
Too much over-analysis....The Globe guy is stretching for something to write. Like a couple of posters have already said....both CYMYK and MR sounded '#*$$*$# insane live... And I was in the 300's. They both hit 10 of 10 on the applause meter...
I liked last night's version and Taylor stretches out in a good way. Very old style, reminiscent of Jerry Garcia and Duane Allman at times... This ain't no juke box, his tone is fine in the videos and must have been huge for those attending.

At last, a positive comment! I was beginning to think I was on my own in liking it. Ten years ago it was the holy grail just to get CYHMK and Midnight Ramber in the same show, now we get them both with Taylor and it's still not enough. I guess I'll be told I'm not a musician if I like this version. Fair enough I'm not but it sounded nice to me and I'm praying they'll do both songs in Hyde Park.
Seeing them in Hyde Park has to be something to anticipate.. I'm across the ocean but would love to attend. The Stones back home for their countrymen and women, really it's quite a moment in music history. I'm guessing they will pull out every trick those nights. Their furious lives will be flashing before their eyes as they play.

Posted by: kwf ()
Date: June 8, 2013 03:14

What would you think of your local music critic's review of the show if he or she based their review on youtube videos instead of being there in person?

Posted by: Stones Blah ()
Date: June 8, 2013 03:17

Date: June 8, 2013 03:18

kwf
What would you think of your local music critic's review of the show if he or she based their review on youtube videos instead of being there in person?

maybe they did

Date: June 8, 2013 03:32

kwf

Would you be asking this if it were a positive review?

Posted by: kwf ()
Date: June 8, 2013 04:12

Doesn't matter...

Posted by: SomeTorontoGirl ()
Date: June 8, 2013 04:28

From today's Toronto Star

[www.thestar.com]

For Gunther Guhbin, it was the ultimate buzz kill.
The father’s dream of seeing the Rolling Stones with his kids was dashed Thursday night when security at the Air Canada Centre turned him away from the concert. They say he was drunk, something he and his family vigorously deny.
Either way, the result is the same. When the price of tickets, drinks and a limousine is taken into account, it was a more than $1,700 blunder.
“I couldn’t believe it. I still can’t believe it,” Guhbin gasped Friday, after his daughter contacted the Star with their story. “I always wanted to take them to the Stones, and I didn’t think we’d ever get to do it,” he said. “I’m crushed.”
Photos View gallery
zoom
Guhbin’s cautionary tale begins when he surprised his three kids with tickets to the June 6 Stones show at the ACC.
When time came for the concert, the gang of four hopped in a limo from Waterdown, near Hamilton, and headed for the big city. Guhbin, a 52-year-old lawn maintenance man, last saw the British Invasion sensations in 1982. Figuring Thursday’s Toronto show might be his last chance to see the aging band with his kids, Guhbin was bouncing with excitement, said daughter Jessica, 32.
“He was like a little kid,” she said.
The group was dropped off at a downtown bar for dinner. Jessica said she and her of-age brother had three drinks each, while her youngest brother had none. Guhbin said he had six or seven.
After at least two hours, the family made its way to the ACC. At the gate, a security guard told Guhbin he was too drunk and loud, and had “crazy eyes,” said Jessica. She said security took Guhbin and his 16-year-old son’s tickets away, and police asked them to leave.
“We weren’t drunk or nothing,” insisted Guhbin, describing how they had the awareness to call a lawyer, call the newspaper and go to two more bars after they left to buy drinks and keep the receipts as proof that weren’t too drunk to get served.
“If we were that loaded, we wouldn’t have been doing all that,” Guhbin said.
Bob Hunter, MLSE’s executive vice president of venues and entertainment, acknowledged a security guard’s judgment as to drunkenness is “subjective,” but said they cannot let “overly intoxicated” ticket holders into the arena for safety reasons. He added that MLSE doesn’t want to lose its liquor licence.
“Are we overly diligent? Yes, probably, but we have to be. We have 16,000 guests in here,” said Hunter.
When asked why Guhbin’s tickets were taken away, Hunter said it’s to stop those turned away from trying to get in at other gates. Hunter was aware of Guhbin’s incident before being contacted by the Star, and asserted the father was denied entry for good reason.
“This guy stood out through thousands of people,” said Hunter. “He was beyond what we would allow.”
Guhbin was flabbergasted by that assessment, and said he was still “bummed out” by how his high hopes of a memorable night were suddenly deflated.
“My dad was in tears when we were leaving that place,” Jessica said.

Date: June 8, 2013 04:31

Regarding the whole You Had To Be There bullsh!t: The whole point of posting YouTube clips is to have something for the people who couldn't be at the show to have something to comment on.
Alienating the 90% of people reading the thread who weren't at the show by implying their opinions don't matter is more of a buzzkill for the thread than
than any criticism of the performance.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-06-08 04:34 by andrewt.

Date: June 8, 2013 04:57

andrewt
Regarding the whole You Had To Be There bullsh!t: The whole point of posting YouTube clips is to have something for the people who couldn't be at the show to have something to comment on.
Alienating the 90% of people reading the thread who weren't at the show by implying their opinions don't matter is more of a buzzkill for the thread than

yeah, well anyone can just go see the clips on youtube even if they aren't posted here

i've watched a hundred clips from this tour from previous dates...and nothing, none of 'em, even remotely comes close, obviously, to what i heard in person last night

watch them for fun, though.. not to play pretend music critic

anyhow most (if not all) the posted clips have crap sound, and half the time the picture is lousy too

the guy what posted here earlier with the 'sex tape' comment was spot on; you can't criticize dick all if you didn't hear it live.....so I am sorry, but judging how 'good' or 'terrible' something was, that was played, from a phone camera just doesn't count for squat...

and why would anyone criticize it anyway? something they weren't even at? and play judge, jury and executioner from some crappy, tinny phone cam footage?

THAT"S the real buzz kill..

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-06-08 05:00 by pinkfloydthebarber.

Posted by: Stones Blah ()
Date: June 8, 2013 06:08

Posted by: slew ()
Date: June 8, 2013 06:09

I am amazed by the over analysis of everything this band does. Its incredible.

Posted by: Thrylan ()
Date: June 8, 2013 06:30

I crushed this earlier and I will reiterate..... approximately the first ten years I was a diehard, they didn't tour, so I analyzed the hell out of everything I could get my hands on.....maybe, just maybe the only thing the, oh, say.....50 million of us Stones fans that weren't in attendance, have no other way to be part of it, until they come near us and we get to be in the lucky 15-20000. Until then, I can see, and I can hear, and hell, I can even think critically! Andrew gave likely the most honest and level headed review this tour. Those of us at home aren't in the moment..... I am sorry. I would even bet that if I heard a boot of my favorite show I attended, I might not recognize it. No one needs to defend their moment.... anyone who has went to a show gets it.

Date: June 8, 2013 06:51

"just maybe the only thing the, oh, say.....50 million of us Stones fans that weren't in attendance, have no other way to be part of it, until they come near us and we get to be in the lucky 15-20000. Until then, I can see, and I can hear, and hell, I can even think critically!"

- and i can hear and see the ocean from Idaho

bad night tonight for the ocean, though; sounds a bit off.

i guess being 4 billion years old catches up with you some nights

Date: June 8, 2013 06:57

If someone posted a YouTube video of a tsunami...... you could tell if it was devastating..... even from Idaho..... or WV!

Posted by: TeddyB1018 ()
Date: June 8, 2013 06:57

The Lou Reed show at the Academy of Music that produced Rock 'n' Roll Animal and Lou Reed Live without any overdubs got bad reviews and a mediocre crowd response yet the recorded evidence is considered a classic by many. What's good in the house and good on tape or especially phone video may be two entirely different things. Rock artists have historically performed live for the house, not for the tape. Some may be more aware now because of YouTube but I doubt Keith gives a shit.

Date: June 8, 2013 07:05

Thrylan
If someone posted a YouTube video of a tsunami...... you could tell if it was devastating..... even from Idaho..... or WV!

you could tell that with the sound off

Date: June 8, 2013 07:17

Stones Blah

This is about as good a version of Miss You as I've seen.. Many of you are burnt on this but I'm excited to hear by it all. I remember seeing them in Philly at RFK for the Miss You tour, 1976? My first Stones show, when they played Satisfaction my eyes teared, I could not believe I was seeing such an old band and still today the "warhorses" rock. People deserve that holy sh*t I'm really watching the guys who created this moment.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-06-08 07:18 by DoomandGloom.

Date: June 8, 2013 07:30

TeddyB1018
The Lou Reed show at the Academy of Music that produced Rock 'n' Roll Animal and Lou Reed Live without any overdubs got bad reviews and a mediocre crowd response yet the recorded evidence is considered a classic by many. What's good in the house and good on tape or especially phone video may be two entirely different things. Rock artists have historically performed live for the house, not for the tape. Some may be more aware now because of YouTube but I doubt Keith gives a shit.

True......But I am POSITIVE Mick does. I bet many of the iPhone recordings today are better sound and video wise, than most of the per 1970 stuff we have seen/heard......can we have opinions on the Tammi show, or the later MSG stuff?

Posted by: Bliss ()
Date: June 8, 2013 08:05

SomeTorontoGirl
From today's Toronto Star

[www.thestar.com]

For Gunther Guhbin, it was the ultimate buzz kill.
The father’s dream of seeing the Rolling Stones with his kids was dashed Thursday night when security at the Air Canada Centre turned him away from the concert. They say he was drunk, something he and his family vigorously deny.
Either way, the result is the same. When the price of tickets, drinks and a limousine is taken into account, it was a more than $1,700 blunder.
“I couldn’t believe it. I still can’t believe it,” Guhbin gasped Friday, after his daughter contacted the Star with their story. “I always wanted to take them to the Stones, and I didn’t think we’d ever get to do it,” he said. “I’m crushed.”
Photos View gallery
zoom
Guhbin’s cautionary tale begins when he surprised his three kids with tickets to the June 6 Stones show at the ACC.
When time came for the concert, the gang of four hopped in a limo from Waterdown, near Hamilton, and headed for the big city. Guhbin, a 52-year-old lawn maintenance man, last saw the British Invasion sensations in 1982. Figuring Thursday’s Toronto show might be his last chance to see the aging band with his kids, Guhbin was bouncing with excitement, said daughter Jessica, 32.
“He was like a little kid,” she said.
The group was dropped off at a downtown bar for dinner. Jessica said she and her of-age brother had three drinks each, while her youngest brother had none. Guhbin said he had six or seven.
After at least two hours, the family made its way to the ACC. At the gate, a security guard told Guhbin he was too drunk and loud, and had “crazy eyes,” said Jessica. She said security took Guhbin and his 16-year-old son’s tickets away, and police asked them to leave.
“We weren’t drunk or nothing,” insisted Guhbin, describing how they had the awareness to call a lawyer, call the newspaper and go to two more bars after they left to buy drinks and keep the receipts as proof that weren’t too drunk to get served.
“If we were that loaded, we wouldn’t have been doing all that,” Guhbin said.
Bob Hunter, MLSE’s executive vice president of venues and entertainment, acknowledged a security guard’s judgment as to drunkenness is “subjective,” but said they cannot let “overly intoxicated” ticket holders into the arena for safety reasons. He added that MLSE doesn’t want to lose its liquor licence.
“Are we overly diligent? Yes, probably, but we have to be. We have 16,000 guests in here,” said Hunter.
When asked why Guhbin’s tickets were taken away, Hunter said it’s to stop those turned away from trying to get in at other gates. Hunter was aware of Guhbin’s incident before being contacted by the Star, and asserted the father was denied entry for good reason.
“This guy stood out through thousands of people,” said Hunter. “He was beyond what we would allow.”
Guhbin was flabbergasted by that assessment, and said he was still “bummed out” by how his high hopes of a memorable night were suddenly deflated.
“My dad was in tears when we were leaving that place,” Jessica said.

Six or seven drinks in two hours? Not drunk?

Posted by: TeddyB1018 ()
Date: June 8, 2013 09:45

Thrylan
TeddyB1018

True......But I am POSITIVE Mick does. I bet many of the iPhone recordings today are better sound and video wise, than most of the per 1970 stuff we have seen/heard......can we have opinions on the Tammi show, or the later MSG stuff?

Of course.We can have whatever opinions we want. What I was saying is that what works on the room nd what works on tape can be two different things.

Posted by: rebelrebel ()
Date: June 8, 2013 10:20

Stones Blah

That was fantastic. Thanks for finding and posting.

Date: June 8, 2013 10:28

pinkfloydthebarber
andrewt

yeah, well anyone can just go see the clips on youtube even if they aren't posted here

i've watched a hundred clips from this tour from previous dates...and nothing, none of 'em, even remotely comes close, obviously, to what i heard in person last night

watch them for fun, though.. not to play pretend music critic

anyhow most (if not all) the posted clips have crap sound, and half the time the picture is lousy too

the guy what posted here earlier with the 'sex tape' comment was spot on; you can't criticize dick all if you didn't hear it live.....so I am sorry, but judging how 'good' or 'terrible' something was, that was played, from a phone camera just doesn't count for squat...

and why would anyone criticize it anyway? something they weren't even at? and play judge, jury and executioner from some crappy, tinny phone cam footage?

THAT"S the real buzz kill..

You're preaching to the choir, my friend.

I was at the show and it's 100x better to be at the show. Hands down.

I've also spent the last six months following the band via clips posted here. So clearly the Stones matter to me. Therefore I had to jump in and defend the decent, hard-working Stones fans who are working with what they've got.
If I didn't, I'd be a hypocrite, and I'm not into being a hypocrite. That's my line of thinking.

Some YouTube clips are obviously better than others. They range from "wow that almost looks pro shot" to one level up from ten years ago when your buddy would call you from a concert on his flip- phone and yell "HEY MAN CHECK THIS OUT!", hold up his phone and all you'd hear was "pffffggttttttttt".

One thing I'd suggest for people joining in when the clips get posted is: hold off on a blanket judgement, concentrate on specifics and, wait a day or two until all the stuff gets uploaded and check a couple of sources because the video that gets posted first is not necessarily the best.

Edited 6 time(s). Last edit at 2013-06-08 11:12 by andrewt.

Date: June 8, 2013 13:14

New rule for Stones fans

Do not like or dislike any recordings of The Rolling Stones, only being there counts.

All the best

The team

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1112131415161718192021Next
Current Page: 17 of 21

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1710
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home