Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1011121314151617181920...LastNext
Current Page: 15 of 21
Re: Toronto-2 June 6 Stones show live updates
Posted by: stewedandkeefed ()
Date: June 7, 2013 17:54

I was at last night's show. Initially got section 312 in $85 ticket lottery but got upgraded to section 110 before lights out. The sound was amazing. The best I have heard at a Stones show. I enjoyed the show a lot. This was my fifteenth show and the the first time I heard them play Get Off Of My Cloud, Worried About You, Emotional Rescue, D & G. OMS and CYHMK. I was there cos Mick Taylor was there and I found his solos were great and went over well. I would reiterate what someone else has said that the videos do not do justice to how it sounded in the room. For a bunch of seventy year olds they were pretty amazing and I felt they used Taylor about the right amount. A sober Ron Wood is a force to be reckoned with and his contributions were noticeable.This was probably the best of the post Bill Wyman shows I have seen

Posted by: Montrealsuperfan ()
Date: June 7, 2013 18:00

Just got up and read all these posts.

This may sound arrogant, but criticzing the show through videos and you tube is like watching a sex tape and then telling the participants that they didn't enjoy it. I would rather be doing it, then watching the tape.

A few other show comments that have come back to me;

Sympathy was great and watching Keith come out on the cat walk in the bright red shirt is something I will never forget. The solo was great.

Start me up was surprsingly good

I never got into Miss You, although the creowd loved it

Bobby Keys is an amazing player

I have nothing against Chuck L, but it seems the keyboard sound was much more prominent then in the past (perhaps at the expense of the guitars)

There you have it- I am just a fan who has never played a note of music in my life and I loved every minute of the show.

I am in the pit Sunday, which should provide an interesting perspective.

Posted by: andrewt ()
Date: June 7, 2013 18:05

palerider22
gotdablouse
DandelionPowderman
Not too good, imo. Keith starts it way too slow, and Taylor is not doing a good solo...

Not as good as in LA but better than in CHI/3 I'd say, he was maybe a tad loud though, they really can't seem to get his sound right! Not sure if he was on the Rythm or Treble position this time, LA/2 was Rythm and it sounded better, so...

Thank you for the clip...but DO NOT be fooled by it. IN NO WAY does it capture the sound in the arena last night. It does not even come close! I can't believe how bad it is compared to what I heard in the upper balcony. Myself and the others who were there can attest to fact it sounded AMAZING! Everyone was grooving to it at the back of the arena, mostly standing. If you're going to Montreal, Philly or Boston this is not what it's going to sound like....

This is true. An off-note is still an off-note but the guitar tone is way meatier at the show, and the volume of course is essential. At the show you are actually feeling the music. No substitute for that. The crowd went bananas when the jam started, just the release of knowing the moment of glory has come electrified the place. During the jam, it felt like rock concerts used to feel back in the day, the vibe of stoners getting their synapses tickled, chicks dancing to the latin groove, people tossing a beach ball through the crowd, like the first day of summer vacation. I, of course, have a similar attitude to most about doing something to freshen up the warhorses (different placement in the set, rotation, less goddamn Chuck, less scripted arrangements etc.) but objectively I can say Paint It Black does not do much for the crowd or the diehards and should probably get dropped. If they went straight in Gimme Shelter after IORR the crowd would really get going. Emotional Rescue --the novelty is wearing off...fast. Again, the set could flow better at that point.
Doom & Gloom totally works in concert but One More Shot is pointless. Also, the "obscure" numbers can really work if the band just nailed the performance of them.
Warhorses you can get away with some lacklustre work because everyone knows and loves the song and is singing along. With the other tunes, you really need to sell it on stage. Worried About You wowed the crowd because Mick knocked it out of the park. Rocks Off or songs like it could as well if they were played with fire, conviction, and a modicum of efficiency.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2013-06-07 18:10 by andrewt.

Posted by: palerider22 ()
Date: June 7, 2013 18:08

treaclefingers

Oh dear, well the Globe and Mail has said it so it has to be true.

I was there, CYHMK started off slow but really gelled after a couple of minutes, no fault of MT. Rambler was the pinnacle of the show.

I've mentioned some failures last night, Rocks Off, SFTD....had nothing to do with MT.

Both were suffered because of MJ and KR...I'm not even bashing the show because it was great, but those were the low moments.

As I mentioned, JJF, IORR, Satisfaction, Brown Sugah, were all rote, love if they'd just revolve those out...but the audience did love those songs.

All four of those songs, crowd pleasers for sure, could have used a healthy does of MT on 3rd guitar to beef them up and revitalize them. You're right, they sounded too measured, almost mechanical...Brown Suger was flat, great song that it is....

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: June 7, 2013 18:09

Montrealsuperfan

This may sound arrogant, but criticzing the show through videos and you tube is like watching a sex tape and then telling the participants that they didn't enjoy it. I would rather be doing it, then watching the tape.

Considering the vast world of stones bootlegs, are people's good or bad listening experiences of them not valid because they weren't there?

What about the guy who had a crap time stuck behind a pillar at a concert? Or the people who hear the music seconds after the musicians have played it? Their live show viewpoint is more valid than the muso who devours every recording from a tour?

confused smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-06-07 18:14 by His Majesty.

Date: June 7, 2013 18:19

His Majesty
Montrealsuperfan

Considering the vast world of stones bootlegs, are people's good or bad listening experiences of them not valid because they weren't there?

What about the guy who had a crap time stuck behind a pillar at a concert? Or the people who hear the music seconds after the musicians have played it? Their live show viewpoint is more valid than the muso who devours every recording from a tour?

confused smiley

I've been both at the shows and watched the clips this tour. You can totally get an aggregate impression of the general quality of the show from some of the better shot Youtube vids, at least from a musical standpoint. Sure there's a huge difference between on a transistor or car radio as on an audiophile system, or FLAC and MP3, with youtube being like those crappier options. But the song is the song, in that sense the video doesn't lie.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: June 7, 2013 18:36

His Majesty
Montrealsuperfan

confused smiley

Yeah. For example I don't ever take too seriously all the reports by the hardcore fans who were there at the concert. In those circumstances it is rather hard to be objective, and I think there is not even a reason to be one. A concert in an over-all experience, and the "critical" point of view - how the show really ranks to the other shows etc. - is not needed. For example, I know that the shows I have enjoyed most in my life, are not really anything spectacular if I listen the bootlegs of them, etc.

- Doxa

Date: June 7, 2013 18:46

andrewt
palerider22
gotdablouse
DandelionPowderman
Not too good, imo. Keith starts it way too slow, and Taylor is not doing a good solo...

Not as good as in LA but better than in CHI/3 I'd say, he was maybe a tad loud though, they really can't seem to get his sound right! Not sure if he was on the Rythm or Treble position this time, LA/2 was Rythm and it sounded better, so...

Thank you for the clip...but DO NOT be fooled by it. IN NO WAY does it capture the sound in the arena last night. It does not even come close! I can't believe how bad it is compared to what I heard in the upper balcony. Myself and the others who were there can attest to fact it sounded AMAZING! Everyone was grooving to it at the back of the arena, mostly standing. If you're going to Montreal, Philly or Boston this is not what it's going to sound like....

This is true. An off-note is still an off-note but the guitar tone is way meatier at the show, and the volume of course is essential. At the show you are actually feeling the music. No substitute for that. The crowd went bananas when the jam started, just the release of knowing the moment of glory has come electrified the place. During the jam, it felt like rock concerts used to feel back in the day, the vibe of stoners getting their synapses tickled, chicks dancing to the latin groove, people tossing a beach ball through the crowd, like the first day of summer vacation. I, of course, have a similar attitude to most about doing something to freshen up the warhorses (different placement in the set, rotation, less goddamn Chuck, less scripted arrangements etc.) but objectively I can say Paint It Black does not do much for the crowd or the diehards and should probably get dropped. If they went straight in Gimme Shelter after IORR the crowd would really get going. Emotional Rescue --the novelty is wearing off...fast. Again, the set could flow better at that point.
Doom & Gloom totally works in concert but One More Shot is pointless. Also, the "obscure" numbers can really work if the band just nailed the performance of them.
Warhorses you can get away with some lacklustre work because everyone knows and loves the song and is singing along. With the other tunes, you really need to sell it on stage. Worried About You wowed the crowd because Mick knocked it out of the park. Rocks Off or songs like it could as well if they were played with fire, conviction, and a modicum of efficiency.

I caught the same mood as you did...PIB kind of fell away after the excited recognition in the crowd of the opening riff. Doom & Gloom was okay...but One More Shot?...I swear my whole section sat down during that one to text somebody! The thing about ER...it got people off their seats after the Worried About You/Rocks Off sit-down...a little long though. The only thing that saved Rocks Off was the video...you're right, they need conviction there. Yeah...Keith, tramping along the stage during his Sympathy solo was a great effect. Nice work by Ronnie on You Got The Silver...But my top 5 highlights....

1. GOOMYC (...as an opener...it works!)
2. Worried About You (...a revelation for the audience of a relatively unknown song...great performance)
3. Midnight Rrambler (...it almost reached Ya-Ya's level, no sh!t)
4. CYHMK (...the audience got into the groove big-time)
5. YCAGWYW (crowd was enthralled...)

HTW & GS sounded great

Date: June 7, 2013 18:59

Question for those at the show: Is that the first time they did the fake ending on Satisfaction? That caught me off guard (in a good way) And was that a bit of "Everybody Needs Somebody To Love" thrown in at the very end?

Posted by: Bobby4 ()
Date: June 7, 2013 19:24

Any Paul Butterfield Blues Band fans, here? The beginning of MT's solo reminds me of Mike Bloomfield's playing on "East-West."

Bob C.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2013-06-07 19:27 by Bobby4.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: June 7, 2013 19:30

andrewt
Question for those at the show: Is that the first time they did the fake ending on Satisfaction? That caught me off guard (in a good way) And was that a bit of "Everybody Needs Somebody To Love" thrown in at the very end?

Yeah, I've never heard that...I kind of thought they were going to start another number!

I enjoyed the all too brief homage to Come On....I thought they were going to run through the whole thing...that would have been sublime.

Date: June 7, 2013 19:33

Montrealsuperfan

A few other show comments that have come back to me;

Sympathy was great and watching Keith come out on the cat walk in the bright red shirt is something I will never forget. The solo was great.

Start me up was surprsingly good

I never got into Miss You, although the creowd loved it

Bobby Keys is an amazing player

I have nothing against Chuck L, but it seems the keyboard sound was much more prominent then in the past (perhaps at the expense of the guitars)

There you have it- I am just a fan who has never played a note of music in my life and I loved every minute of the show.

I am in the pit Sunday, which should provide an interesting perspective.

While I enjoyed the show, have to disagree with you on SFTD. Mick's singing was off key several times, quite noticeable. Keith was barely ok, and the great second solo I swear was Ronnie...Keith was trapsing about sometime hands off the guitar and I was watching Ronnie and I think he carried it.

Ronnie was the unsung hero last night. Beautiful guitar on BTMMR and YGTS too.

Date: June 7, 2013 19:49

treaclefingers
Keith was barely ok, and the great second solo I swear was Ronnie...Keith was trapsing about sometime hands off the guitar and I was watching Ronnie and I think he carried it.

I'm pretty sure you're right...I caught that too...his posing was cool though...winking smiley

Date: June 7, 2013 20:04

I was at the Toronto show last night - just getting up now! 1pm

Bob, my bud who scored us tickets, and I, were in Sec. 107 just off the floor, not too far from the tongue pit stage ring thing that goes around

first off we were very impressed with the stage set up itself; sparse and lean. no dancing elephants or circus gimmicks - horns and singers off to each side; great lighting and no goofy motley crue type explosions etc

15,000 venue I think and the ACC had better acoustics than I expected, the sound was clear and loud, although a few times keith's guitar you could tell was purposely 'tweaked' (or made louder) like on the intro's SMU and HTW

jagger was outstanding, can this guy even at his age work a stage and large room, or what? even at his age he puts the younger 'showmen' to shame. he never let up all show.

keith was focused and on point much more than in 2005, in fact they all seemed totally focused, and having a good time, smiles all around

even mick taylor! smiles!

charlie was as always a human metronome, his drum sound was better than 2005 as well, more of a snap to the snare. he was clearly having a ball during the second half of CYHMK

worried about you was unexpected and a highlight of the evening, jagger nailed it and Charlie's drums at the end bits carried it to new heights

CYHMK - another surprise and a huge treat. keith started it off at pretty much the right tempo and when the santana-ish break began and MT stepped forward the crowd went absolutely nuts

fabulous solo had everyone in the place (even the youngins!) nodding their heads in approval and screaming

keith walked the tongue ring thing for decent solos on sympathy and on GS and also on satisfaction

- which was funny because on the satisfaction he clearly hit a bum note on the intro - a d# I think instead of the d -but his laugh afterward and shrug off made it a poignant moment for me; he didn't care and so neither did I

and keith took satisfaction over as his own (well ok, it is his own) and nailed the solos as MT stood back and just smiled, waving at keith to keep going - kind of as if to say - 'that's bloody great! - another solo mate!'

MT didn't jump in to take a solo in satisfaction at all, I think he was just enjoying keith ripping it up as were the other 15,000 folks in the house

doobie smoke was wafting, I was partaking, and this event was the best stones gig I've seen since 78

sound - set list - execution - the sheer joy of it - the whole package was spot on

and hat's off to the Mississauga school choir on YCAGWYW - well done !!!

and to Ronnie for his slide licks on YGTS - memorable!

and at the end of satisfaction suddenly the band cooked up some quick tempo riff that I thought was going to lead into another tune.. and we were guessing 'what the hell is this one..? - and then 15 seconds later we realized it was just a tease

bastards!!

one memorable moment also was when mick mentioned their first single - chuck berry's 'come on' was about to be 50 years old - the anniversary of its release apparently - so he starts to sing a few bars... and i'm thinking -'they're gonna play come on! no way! awesome!!' - but then mick says 'but keith cant remember the intro' and laughs, and then adds 'and Charlie isn't into that one tonight anyway,' and then he laughs, and so did I.

all in all I went in not knowing what to expect - these guys are 70 ya know??

but they are a great rock and roll band, even at 70, not a auto tuner voice stabilizer in sight and I walked out the ACC a somewhat surprised and a happy camper at the quality, professionalism and just the entire event in itself

A++++

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2013-06-07 20:08 by pinkfloydthebarber.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: June 7, 2013 20:13

pinkfloydthebarber

one memorable moment also was when mick mentioned their first single - chuck berry's 'come on' was about to be 50 years old - the anniversary of its release apparently - so he starts to sing a few bars... and i'm thinking -'they're gonna play come on! no way! awesome!!' - but then mick says 'but keith cant remember the intro' and laughs, and then adds 'and Charlie isn't into that one tonight anyway,' and then he laughs, and so did I.

A++++

Awesome! Thanks for sharing this!

- Doxa

Posted by: Tonyz ()
Date: June 7, 2013 20:28

Hilarious... I went with my dad this time. Causal fan. He was upset that they didn't play MORE hits ala Angie and Street Fighting Man. Didn't appreciate Midnight Rambler and CYHMK. I just had to laugh.

I tell ya, these guys can't win.

Posted by: admorgan ()
Date: June 7, 2013 20:31

Please add Come On to the official setlist. It was the highlight!

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: June 7, 2013 20:55

stewedandkeefed
I was at last night's show. Initially got section 312 in $85 ticket lottery but got upgraded to section 110 before lights out. The sound was amazing. The best I have heard at a Stones show. I enjoyed the show a lot. This was my fifteenth show and the the first time I heard them play Get Off Of My Cloud, Worried About You, Emotional Rescue, D & G. OMS and CYHMK. I was there cos Mick Taylor was there and I found his solos were great and went over well. I would reiterate what someone else has said that the videos do not do justice to how it sounded in the room. For a bunch of seventy year olds they were pretty amazing and I felt they used Taylor about the right amount. A sober Ron Wood is a force to be reckoned with and his contributions were noticeable.This was probably the best of the post Bill Wyman shows I have seen

It does look like all of you there last night lucked into the best or second best gig so far...

Posted by: crumbling_mice ()
Date: June 7, 2013 21:20

TO be fair, only the people who have been to every show can make these sort of judgements. THe video clips are not a good way of saying how good we think guests are. Or, we could judge on what we think of each particular guest irrespective of their performance. But to do it any other way is not a fair playing field. We all knwow that actually being there to witness a gig is a very different experience to even the best bootleg.

Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: June 7, 2013 21:21

Munichhilton
stewedandkeefed

It does look like all of you there last night lucked into the best or second best gig so far...

best show ever

Posted by: KatieGirl ()
Date: June 7, 2013 21:30

Had a blast at the Toronto show, even the songs I don't really like, (SMU, ER) didn't bother me. Crowd from my vantage point (lower bowl) was totally in to it, certainly seemed like a sell out from where I was sitting. Lots of parents with their children of various ages. Who would have thought that 50 years on the Stones would be family entertainment! This is the music of my life. I can remember being 13 or 14 years old and my older brother bringing home December's Children on vinyl. I've been a fan since then. Haven't been to many concerts,, am not a musician, but they have been with me all my life. I know this sounds really stupid but I actually started to tear up when they walked out on stage! Great vibe at the show from both band and audience. It's totally different being there and watching it on youtube My only other Stones concert to compare it to was about 40 years ago, and while I know I went, that's all I can remember!!There, I've bared my soul, everyone can make fun of me. I don't care. I loved the show, even the songs I never liked all that much (and there are more than just two, a few of the warhorses actually!)

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: June 7, 2013 21:32

Tonyz
Hilarious... I went with my dad this time. Causal fan. He was upset that they didn't play MORE hits ala Angie and Street Fighting Man. Didn't appreciate Midnight Rambler and CYHMK. I just had to laugh.

I tell ya, these guys can't win.

This reminds me of my 10 year older brother who I took to a concert in 1973 (I was 19) he waited for I'm King Bee, Little Red Rooster and I'ts All Over Now....so he was a bit disappointed grinning smiley

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: June 7, 2013 21:35

KatieGirl
Had a blast at the Toronto show, even the songs I don't really like, (SMU, ER) didn't bother me. Crowd from my vantage point (lower bowl) was totally in to it, certainly seemed like a sell out from where I was sitting. Lots of parents with their children of various ages. Who would have thought that 50 years on the Stones would be family entertainment! This is the music of my life. I can remember being 13 or 14 years old and my older brother bringing home December's Children on vinyl. I've been a fan since then. Haven't been to many concerts,, am not a musician, but they have been with me all my life. I know this sounds really stupid but I actually started to tear up when they walked out on stage! Great vibe at the show from both band and audience. It's totally different being there and watching it on youtube My only other Stones concert to compare it to was about 40 years ago, and while I know I went, that's all I can remember!!There, I've bared my soul, everyone can make fun of me. I don't care. I loved the show, even the songs I never liked all that much (and there are more than just two, a few of the warhorses actually!)

Good for you KatieGirl, it sounds like you had the time of your life and that's all that matters. smiling smiley

Posted by: KatieGirl ()
Date: June 7, 2013 21:47

Thanks Latebloomer! To top it off I went by myself and still had a blast! My kids were busy,plus I paid enough for my ticket, I didn't want to pay for someone who was just tagging along as a favour! Everyone around me was talkative and happy, so I didn't feel like a giant loser, and the view and sound were great. Had a great time.

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: June 7, 2013 22:06

kleermaker
Munichhilton
stewedandkeefed

best show ever

best tour ever

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: June 7, 2013 22:13

Munichhilton
kleermaker
Munichhilton
stewedandkeefed

best show ever

best tour ever

best tour thread ever

Posted by: rebelrebel ()
Date: June 7, 2013 22:25

DoomandGloom
palerider22
DandelionPowderman
StonesCat
paulm
Based on the posts, I don't even need to watch the vids to reach my conclusion...last night was pivotal for MT, and if the consensus is less than glowing, and he's still having trouble "gelling" or even playing in the beat, I'm turning 180 to say the band is better overall without him.

We all know that time changes things, and while MT certainly evolved musically over the years, he is inconsistent with the Stones; and, it would be a tall (but certainly not impossible) order to expect him to be consistent.

We had CYHMK in L.A., and that was such a good high, I'm all set with MT and the Stones at this point. It's just mudding up the sound.

Every review from fans that actually go to the shows always say Knocking and/or Rambler are great, and highlights from the shows. Then one or two of the same people analyze his solos from afar to the nth degree on here, and suddenly it was "pivotal" last night for him? Whaaa? That's some good comedy. You really wanna analyze each of the three's playing to that level?

Let's hear it from The Globe And Mail - Toronto, then:

"Can’t You Here Me Knocking : Former lead guitarist Mick Taylor, brought back in small nightly doses for this tour, stretched out like Carlos Santana on the sprawling Latin-grooved jam that makes up the song’s second part. He fumbled initially, and never did match the finesse of the recorded version from 1971’s Sticky Fingers . It was as if Taylor was trying to fit in all the notes he missed over the years, having left the band in 1974".

[www.theglobeandmail.com]
Too much over-analysis....The Globe guy is stretching for something to write. Like a couple of posters have already said....both CYMYK and MR sounded '#*$$*$# insane live... And I was in the 300's. They both hit 10 of 10 on the applause meter...
I liked last night's version and Taylor stretches out in a good way. Very old style, reminiscent of Jerry Garcia and Duane Allman at times... This ain't no juke box, his tone is fine in the videos and must have been huge for those attending.

At last, a positive comment! I was beginning to think I was on my own in liking it. Ten years ago it was the holy grail just to get CYHMK and Midnight Ramber in the same show, now we get them both with Taylor and it's still not enough. I guess I'll be told I'm not a musician if I like this version. Fair enough I'm not but it sounded nice to me and I'm praying they'll do both songs in Hyde Park.

Date: June 7, 2013 22:31

StonesTod
Munichhilton
kleermaker
Munichhilton
stewedandkeefed

best show ever

best tour ever

best tour thread ever

best tour thread that I commented on where I was actually there, ever!

Posted by: Bliss ()
Date: June 7, 2013 22:36

Just want to thank everyone who has contributed to this thread with live updates, reviews, photos and videos. I think it's true that being there is a different experience than seeing and hearing it on the net, but it just gives so much pleasure to witness the concerts even second-hand, and see that the RS we have loved for so long (most of us) are still a vibrant, thriving presence.

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: June 7, 2013 22:37

rebelrebel
Fair enough I'm not but it sounded nice to me and I'm praying they'll do both songs in Hyde Park.

You CANNOT PETITION THE LORD FOR TAYLOR!!!!!!

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1011121314151617181920...LastNext
Current Page: 15 of 21

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1459
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home