Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...910111213141516171819...LastNext
Current Page: 14 of 21
Re: Toronto-2 June 6 Stones show live updates
Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: June 7, 2013 16:09

gotdablouse
DandelionPowderman
Not too good, imo. Keith starts it way too slow, and Taylor is not doing a good solo...

Not as good as in LA but better than in CHI/3 I'd say, he was maybe a tad loud though, they really can't seem to get his sound right! Not sure if he was on the Rythm or Treble position this time, LA/2 was Rythm and it sounded better, so...

Not so easy to grasp as the one in LA, but to me by far the most interesting one. It's like a journey full of surprises, good ones and bad ones, but always exciting.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: June 7, 2013 16:10

gotdablouse
Yep, probably didn't have to quote the whole post though ;-)

@Ruskafarian - terrific pics indeed, thanks for sharing, what camera were you using, I'm on the market for a new one and I need to put yours on my list!

SomeTorontoGirl
Just back from the concert and WOW - what a difference from May 25th. First, this was a comment after I posted about the sound on May 25th. It was loud and muddy and I was nearly deaf for a week afterwards...

gotdablouse
For your ears for the 6th get yourself a pair of these "musician earplugs" : [www.amazon.com]

I got some after being made half deaf at the Trabendo last year, they basically turn the level down without filtering out frequencies like standard earplugs would do. Wish I'd known about them years ago!

OK gotdablouse - you rock! I got a pair of those earplugs and it was amazing, the difference. It was still loud, I was sitting under the same damn bank of speakers, but it was completely clear! I am never taking these earplugs out! Can't recommend them enough, and can't thank you enough for the tip. If you ever need a kidney, I'm O Neg.

Good to *hear* and glad I could help! I went to a Stone Roses concert on Tuesday and I realized after leaving home I had forgotten my earplugs! So I rushed to a little shop I know that sells them and that happens to be near the venue and got an extra pair. It wasn't that loud actually so I was able to remove them at times to soak in the atmosphere a bit better.

I brought ear plugs but then didn't use them....sound was amazing, well mixed, clear, and loud but not overly.

Posted by: andrewt ()
Date: June 7, 2013 16:21

Great photos Ruskafarian. You've got a great eye for framing and those little moments of magic. Especially love the ones of Keith smoking and Mick against the backdrop of the crowd.

Date: June 7, 2013 16:24

treaclefingers
gotdablouse
Yep, probably didn't have to quote the whole post though ;-)

@Ruskafarian - terrific pics indeed, thanks for sharing, what camera were you using, I'm on the market for a new one and I need to put yours on my list!

SomeTorontoGirl
Just back from the concert and WOW - what a difference from May 25th. First, this was a comment after I posted about the sound on May 25th. It was loud and muddy and I was nearly deaf for a week afterwards...

gotdablouse
For your ears for the 6th get yourself a pair of these "musician earplugs" : [www.amazon.com]

I got some after being made half deaf at the Trabendo last year, they basically turn the level down without filtering out frequencies like standard earplugs would do. Wish I'd known about them years ago!

OK gotdablouse - you rock! I got a pair of those earplugs and it was amazing, the difference. It was still loud, I was sitting under the same damn bank of speakers, but it was completely clear! I am never taking these earplugs out! Can't recommend them enough, and can't thank you enough for the tip. If you ever need a kidney, I'm O Neg.

Good to *hear* and glad I could help! I went to a Stone Roses concert on Tuesday and I realized after leaving home I had forgotten my earplugs! So I rushed to a little shop I know that sells them and that happens to be near the venue and got an extra pair. It wasn't that loud actually so I was able to remove them at times to soak in the atmosphere a bit better.

I brought ear plugs but then didn't use them....sound was amazing, well mixed, clear, and loud but not overly.

Good to hear you've enjoyed the show, treacle! I've enjoyed your and andrewt's reports.

Posted by: schillid ()
Date: June 7, 2013 16:25

GREAT PHOTOS... THANKS, Ruskafarian

Ruskafarian

CHEERS!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-06-07 18:04 by bv.

Date: June 7, 2013 16:32

treaclefingers
andrewt
Big crowd cheer after first line of the song,
People know this track and they are loving it.

They sound great!!!!!

I voted for Worried About YOU!...this and Midnight Rambler were the two real high points of the show for me...CYHMK also excellent. Miss You was surprisingly good as was Start Me Up. Gimme Shelter was good vocally...I think Keith suffered through this one though.

We had horrible seats behind the stage in the upper level and they came and moved our entire row to section 108 beside the stage row 12, slightly above eye level just before the show started...FANTASTIC vantage point. The show was obviously not nearly sold out, but looked pretty full nonetheless.

A lot of other great numbers too.

Tumbling Dice they can do with their eyes close and was fantastic.

Loved the Keith set, I couldn't have asked for two better songs, YGTS and BTMMR. Ronnie was excellent on acoustic and then on fire on BTMMR.

Rocks Off, possibly my favourite, certainly top 5 song they've ever recorded, they just can't play live...MJ messed up the lyrics but the whole thing was shambolic, but not in a good way at all.

IORR was rote, as was JJF and Satisfaction and Brown Sugar. SFTD, another favourite of mine just messy and here MJ wasn't vocally strong, even out of tune at times which I think is fairly rare. Regarding Keith's solo, I think I saw Ronnie doing the second solo so I do believe that's why it sounded so much better.

Overall an excellent show, certainly not the best I've seen but some stellar highlights for sure.

I did get the bad vibe between Mick and Keith...I don't see this continuing for a long time. Plus, they looked tired to me.

Mick Taylor and Ron Wood are both just great...love MT coming on stage during Satisfaction, strumming for awhile and then stopped playing and just started dancing. Hysterical.

I'd love to see them again but I'm quite sure this is the last time I'll have the opportunity.

A great night in Toronto...no guest, no problem.

Thanks for clearing up that bit about the SFTD solo.
I had a vantage point similar to yours for the first show but this time I was pretty far back on the floor. Great sound, but I couldn't see much of how the band was working and interacting on stage.

Posted by: GJV ()
Date: June 7, 2013 16:32

Wow! Beautiful pictures indeed! Thanks for sharing!

Posted by: bonddm ()
Date: June 7, 2013 16:34

I think Taylor would play CYHMK better if it wasn't his first song of the gig,as was the case the first night they played it.Ideally if he came on for consecutive songs(Love In Vain etc.) at that point,he'd find it a lot easier to nail the solo.

Posted by: crawdaddy ()
Date: June 7, 2013 16:42

One thing for sure about this tour.

The pics being shown of each concert on IORR ,are amongst the best ever of The Rolling Stones performing live. smileys with beer

Date: June 7, 2013 16:43

<Regarding Keith's solo, I think I saw Ronnie doing the second solo so I do believe that's why it sounded so much better.>

Keith played both the solos, but Ronnie always plays a lick toward the ending of the second solo. Same procedure last night, according to the video...

Posted by: ohotos ()
Date: June 7, 2013 16:47

I would have loved to get CYHMK for Toronto 1. Too bad, but I won't get suckered into going to Montreal... This time it's the first time I did two shows on one tour and that's enough for me. Yes they are my favourite band but there are more important things in life for me. Maybe a club show in a couple years would be the perfect way to end it for me.
For all those going to the next shows have fun!
...as I am writing this I am still tempted to make the short drive up to Montreal. I will resist, I will resist! spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Posted by: DoomandGloom ()
Date: June 7, 2013 16:48

palerider22
DandelionPowderman
StonesCat
paulm
Based on the posts, I don't even need to watch the vids to reach my conclusion...last night was pivotal for MT, and if the consensus is less than glowing, and he's still having trouble "gelling" or even playing in the beat, I'm turning 180 to say the band is better overall without him.

We all know that time changes things, and while MT certainly evolved musically over the years, he is inconsistent with the Stones; and, it would be a tall (but certainly not impossible) order to expect him to be consistent.

We had CYHMK in L.A., and that was such a good high, I'm all set with MT and the Stones at this point. It's just mudding up the sound.

Every review from fans that actually go to the shows always say Knocking and/or Rambler are great, and highlights from the shows. Then one or two of the same people analyze his solos from afar to the nth degree on here, and suddenly it was "pivotal" last night for him? Whaaa? That's some good comedy. You really wanna analyze each of the three's playing to that level?

Let's hear it from The Globe And Mail - Toronto, then:

"Can’t You Here Me Knocking : Former lead guitarist Mick Taylor, brought back in small nightly doses for this tour, stretched out like Carlos Santana on the sprawling Latin-grooved jam that makes up the song’s second part. He fumbled initially, and never did match the finesse of the recorded version from 1971’s Sticky Fingers . It was as if Taylor was trying to fit in all the notes he missed over the years, having left the band in 1974".

[www.theglobeandmail.com]
Too much over-analysis....The Globe guy is stretching for something to write. Like a couple of posters have already said....both CYMYK and MR sounded '#*$$*$# insane live... And I was in the 300's. They both hit 10 of 10 on the applause meter...
I liked last night's version and Taylor stretches out in a good way. Very old style, reminiscent of Jerry Garcia and Duane Allman at times... This ain't no juke box, his tone is fine in the videos and must have been huge for those attending.

Date: June 7, 2013 17:00

rollingon
proudmary
rollingon

They should just stop (especially Keith!!!) commenting on each others as persons in the interviews, it's just embarrassing for the fans and damages the whole band really, they should just comment on the musical things and such. Keith has been a way too open in the interviews in recent years, it's almost a little ego centric on Keith's part IMO. If they really must comment on something about the personalities of the other band members, just say something positive or just say nothing at all!

Now we know...it's Keith trolling the comment threads!
But seriously, I chatted with some people who hung backstage and Keith's dressing room is no longer a party zone. No spliffs, no drinking before the show. Very laid back. RW & MT hang with both Mick & Keith seperately pre show but KR still does not hang with MJ.

Date: June 7, 2013 17:00

His Majesty
Jesse

Good talking to you folks. MT is a fine guitarist; love him but please don't always criticize Ronnie. Pax.

Tis the way of the taylorites and liking Ronnie supposedly brings a taylorites credentials in to question.

On the contrary, it's just conspicuous how mildly both Taylorites and Taylorians behave towards Ronnie. Not a bad word about his two Sway solos for instance.

The personal interaction between MT and Mick, Keith, Ronnie and Charlie is just good: the vids show that clearly to me. Jagger doesn't show any icy behaviour towards Taylor, Keith has applause for him, hugs from Ronnie and Taylor at his turn obviously likes the presence of these guys, not forgetting to include good ol' Charlie as well.

Posted by: Marcust99 ()
Date: June 7, 2013 17:04

Start Me Up:

[youtu.be]

Can't You Hear Me Knocking:

[youtu.be]

kleermaker
His Majesty
Jesse

Good talking to you folks. MT is a fine guitarist; love him but please don't always criticize Ronnie. Pax.

Tis the way of the taylorites and liking Ronnie supposedly brings a taylorites credentials in to question.

On the contrary, it's just conspicuous how mildly both Taylorites and Taylorians behave towards Ronnie. Not a bad word about his two Sway solos for instance.

The personal interaction between MT and Mick, Keith, Ronnie and Charlie is just good: the vids show that clearly to me. Jagger doesn't show any icy behaviour towards Taylor, Keith has applause for him, hugs from Ronnie and Taylor at his turn obviously likes the presence of these guys, not forgetting to include good ol' Charlie as well.

What do you think that means, exactly? I'm just curious. The guys are pros, and I think we very rarely can read anything out of stage behaviour like this - but that's me...

Posted by: angee ()

Wow, Ruskaferian, thank you for the great shots!

Where were you sitting?

~"Love is Strong"~

Posted by: DoomandGloom ()
Date: June 7, 2013 17:06

kleermaker
His Majesty
Jesse

Ronnie deserves a medal.. He's been the go to guitarist this tour.

Posted by: Ruskafarian ()
Date: June 7, 2013 17:07

gotdablouse
what camera were you using
Thanks for all the kinds comments guys!

I use a Sony DSC-H50 - it's about 4yrs old now, but works great for the lighting environments concerts create.

The #1 rule of concert photography - NEVER use flash!!

gotdablouse, if you want to be able to shoot photos at a concert, get a camera which allows you to set your shutter speed (I'm pretty sure most cameras do nowadays); I was shooting at 1/30sec and had the ISO set to 400 - seems to have worked out pretty well.

Posted by: Ruskafarian ()
Date: June 7, 2013 17:09

angee
Where were you sitting?

Was super lucky enough to get into the pit!!

Was about 2 'rows' back, immediately in front of Ronnie.

Date: June 7, 2013 17:11

bonddm
I think Taylor would play CYHMK better if it wasn't his first song of the gig,as was the case the first night they played it.Ideally if he came on for consecutive songs(Love In Vain etc.) at that point,he'd find it a lot easier to nail the solo.

That's a really good point

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: June 7, 2013 17:21

kleermaker
His Majesty

The personal interaction between MT and Mick, Keith, Ronnie and Charlie is just good: the vids show that clearly to me. Jag

ger doesn't show any icy behaviour towards Taylor, Keith has applause for him, hugs from Ronnie and Taylor at his turn obviously likes the presence of these guys, not forgetting to include good ol' Charlie as well.

kleermaker

Taylorians are very sceptical concerning the Ronnie-era. That's a rule. Enthusiasm for that era is strictly forbidden, but love for the Brian-era is a must.cool smiley

Posted by: Stonesfan22 ()
Date: June 7, 2013 17:24

Ruskafarian, great pictures! My wife and I are going to Philly 1, she is dying to know how you were able to get a camera that size into the venue? She has One similar size...any advice?

Date: June 7, 2013 17:25

DandelionPowderman
kleermaker
His Majesty
Jesse

What do you think that means, exactly? I'm just curious. The guys are pros, and I think we very rarely can read anything out of stage behaviour like this - but that's me...

They're pros, but also pros are human beings. Anyway it's all in the eye of the beholder. Just my observation and interpretation as a pro and as a human being as well. winking smiley

Posted by: palerider22 ()
Date: June 7, 2013 17:26

gotdablouse
DandelionPowderman
Not too good, imo. Keith starts it way too slow, and Taylor is not doing a good solo...

Not as good as in LA but better than in CHI/3 I'd say, he was maybe a tad loud though, they really can't seem to get his sound right! Not sure if he was on the Rythm or Treble position this time, LA/2 was Rythm and it sounded better, so...

Thank you for the clip...but DO NOT be fooled by it. IN NO WAY does it capture the sound in the arena last night. It does not even come close! I can't believe how bad it is compared to what I heard in the upper balcony. Myself and the others who were there can attest to fact it sounded AMAZING! Everyone was grooving to it at the back of the arena, mostly standing. If you're going to Montreal, Philly or Boston this is not what it's going to sound like....

Posted by: paulm ()
Date: June 7, 2013 17:27

The pics and attendees' reviews are great! The energy of actually being at a Stones show is incredible and trumps any observation from armchair critics like myself, commenting from the sidelines. Living in the moment is what it's all about.

If MT played in an entirely wrong key and tempo, it would still be OK as long as the energy was up. Heck, Keith has played out of key many times, and the applause meter still goes off the chart.

Date: June 7, 2013 17:29

His Majesty
kleermaker
His Majesty

kleermaker

Taylorians are very sceptical concerning the Ronnie-era. That's a rule. Enthusiasm for that era is strictly forbidden, but love for the Brian-era is a must.cool smiley

I stick to that, but the Ronnie-era isn't the same as Ronnie, just like the Brian- and Taylor-eras aren't congruent with either Brian or Taylor. Finally I was joking, wasn't I?

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: June 7, 2013 17:33

kleermaker
Finally I was joking, wasn't I?

Your dislike for Ronnie is as sure as your love of Taylor.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: June 7, 2013 17:35

DandelionPowderman
duffydawg
I was at the show last night....MT again was the highlight. CYHMK was probably the best yet. Incredible.

The guys commenting on the Solo wasn't there.... big difference trust me.

MT needs to be put into more songs for sure. Without MT this is ABB and SW tour all over again.

It's always special being there, for sure.

But this time the papers are saying the same thing:

www.theglobeandmail.com

Oh dear, well the Globe and Mail has said it so it has to be true.

I was there, CYHMK started off slow but really gelled after a couple of minutes, no fault of MT. Rambler was the pinnacle of the show.

I've mentioned some failures last night, Rocks Off, SFTD....had nothing to do with MT.

Both were suffered because of MJ and KR...I'm not even bashing the show because it was great, but those were the low moments.

As I mentioned, JJF, IORR, Satisfaction, Brown Sugah, were all rote, love if they'd just revolve those out...but the audience did love those songs.

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: June 7, 2013 17:37

Ruskafarian
gotdablouse
what camera were you using
Thanks for all the kinds comments guys!

I use a Sony DSC-H50 - it's about 4yrs old now, but works great for the lighting environments concerts create.

The #1 rule of concert photography - NEVER use flash!!

gotdablouse, if you want to be able to shoot photos at a concert, get a camera which allows you to set your shutter speed (I'm pretty sure most cameras do nowadays); I was shooting at 1/30sec and had the ISO set to 400 - seems to have worked out pretty well.

Thanks, will check out that cam, I have my trusty Sony HX5V that served me well in the pit at the O2/25th (see "pics from the pit" in my sig), but there's a "dust" spot on the sensor so I'm looking at other options.

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...910111213141516171819...LastNext
Current Page: 14 of 21

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1907
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home