Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...89101112131415161718...LastNext
Current Page: 13 of 21
Re: Toronto-2 June 6 Stones show live updates
Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: June 7, 2013 12:25

DandelionPowderman
Not too good, imo. Keith starts it way too slow, and Taylor is not doing a good solo...

Not as good as in LA but better than in CHI/3 I'd say, he was maybe a tad loud though, they really can't seem to get his sound right! Not sure if he was on the Rythm or Treble position this time, LA/2 was Rythm and it sounded better, so...

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: June 7, 2013 12:35

Pretty good set list!

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: June 7, 2013 12:37

Beautiful pictures indeed.

Some sounds to go with them:

GOOMC

Emotional rescue

Gimme Shelter

More of CYHMK

Sympathy

Rambler Part 1

Rambler Part 2 (same uploader)

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2013-06-07 13:06 by Green Lady.

Date: June 7, 2013 12:42

gotdablouse
DandelionPowderman
Not too good, imo. Keith starts it way too slow, and Taylor is not doing a good solo...

Not as good as in LA but better than in CHI/3 I'd say, he was maybe a tad loud though, they really can't seem to get his sound right! Not sure if he was on the Rythm or Treble position this time, LA/2 was Rythm and it sounded better, so...

You mean Taylor's solo only, or the whole song?

The whole song was the worst of the three so far,imo.

Taylor toggled the wrong mic for his solo. Or maybe he wanted it that way? But it didn't sound good until the last minute of the solo, when he switched back to the treble position.

Posted by: rollingon ()
Date: June 7, 2013 12:50

proudmary
rollingon
sonomastone
treaclefingers
andrewt
Big crowd cheer after first line of the song,
People know this track and they are loving it.

They sound great!!!!!

I voted for Worried About YOU!...this and Midnight Rambler were the two real high points of the show for me...CYHMK also excellent. Miss You was surprisingly good as was Start Me Up. Gimme Shelter was good vocally...I think Keith suffered through this one though.

We had horrible seats behind the stage in the upper level and they came and moved our entire row to section 108 beside the stage row 12, slightly above eye level just before the show started...FANTASTIC vantage point. The show was obviously not nearly sold out, but looked pretty full nonetheless.

A lot of other great numbers too.

Tumbling Dice they can do with their eyes close and was fantastic.

Loved the Keith set, I couldn't have asked for two better songs, YGTS and BTMMR. Ronnie was excellent on acoustic and then on fire on BTMMR.

Rocks Off, possibly my favourite, certainly top 5 song they've ever recorded, they just can't play live...MJ messed up the lyrics but the whole thing was shambolic, but not in a good way at all.

IORR was rote, as was JJF and Satisfaction and Brown Sugar. SFTD, another favourite of mine just messy and here MJ wasn't vocally strong, even out of tune at times which I think is fairly rare. Regarding Keith's solo, I think I saw Ronnie doing the second solo so I do believe that's why it sounded so much better.

Overall an excellent show, certainly not the best I've seen but some stellar highlights for sure.

I did get the bad vibe between Mick and Keith...I don't see this continuing for a long time. Plus, they looked tired to me.

Mick Taylor and Ron Wood are both just great...love MT coming on stage during Satisfaction, strumming for awhile and then stopped playing and just started dancing. Hysterical.

I'd love to see them again but I'm quite sure this is the last time I'll have the opportunity.

A great night in Toronto...no guest, no problem.

Great review sounds like an awesome show
Keith has been great on his 2 songs glad to hear that continues
Hopefully the iciness between Keith and mick is because mick is in the doghouse over the Glastonbury TV debacle and poor guest choices ... They seemed more chummy a few weeks ago.

Could it be that that they are just more tired than they would have expected to be, and the iceness is partly because of that? The poor guest choices certainly can be a problem between them.

or maybe KR's hostile interview in MoJo is the reason

They should just stop (especially Keith!!!) commenting on each others as persons in the interviews, it's just embarrassing for the fans and damages the whole band really, they should just comment on the musical things and such. Keith has been a way too open in the interviews in recent years, it's almost a little ego centric on Keith's part IMO. If they really must comment on something about the personalities of the other band members, just say something positive or just say nothing at all!

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: June 7, 2013 12:50

Oh I missed that, wasn't he in the rythm position in LA/2 with that fat juicy sound? I was referring to the solo yes.

Date: June 7, 2013 12:53

gotdablouse
Oh I missed that, wasn't he in the rythm position in LA/2 with that fat juicy sound? I was referring to the solo yes.

It might have been in the middle position, with a slightly thinner sound. This sound became a bit too dry and short on sustain, imo.

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: June 7, 2013 13:14

Comments on MT's tone are interesting.
When he was originally in the band there were often problems getting his sound to sit well in the mix . It was often too "middly" lacking attack & definition.
I think that's basically why he was often too loud ...to compensate and cut through.
It's maybe a function of how he hears it but modern desks and monitoring ought to be able to resolve those issues.

[The many guitarists on these pages will know that what sounds wonderful coming out of a guitar amplifier in isolation may not work in a live or recorded mix..and vice versa ]

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: June 7, 2013 13:16

DandelionPowderman
This sound became a bit too dry and short on sustain, imo.

I think that's more to do with his hands. Seems he's not quite picking well and fretting firmly some of the time.

Date: June 7, 2013 13:23

His Majesty
DandelionPowderman

I think that's more to do with his hands. Seems he's not quite picking well and fretting firmly some of the time.

Maybe. Then again, something happened right away when he toggled that switch.

Date: June 7, 2013 13:35

DandelionPowderman
His Majesty
DandelionPowderman

Maybe. Then again, something happened right away when he toggled that switch.

Yeah, the uncertainty kicked in. grinning smiley

There's some hints of good in there, but the whole thing just never seems to gel.

Charlie was good though. cool smiley

Posted by: paulm ()
Date: June 7, 2013 13:57

Based on the posts, I don't even need to watch the vids to reach my conclusion...last night was pivotal for MT, and if the consensus is less than glowing, and he's still having trouble "gelling" or even playing in the beat, I'm turning 180 to say the band is better overall without him.

We all know that time changes things, and while MT certainly evolved musically over the years, he is inconsistent with the Stones; and, it would be a tall (but certainly not impossible) order to expect him to be consistent.

We had CYHMK in L.A., and that was such a good high, I'm all set with MT and the Stones at this point. It's just mudding up the sound.

Date: June 7, 2013 14:10

paulm
Based on the posts, I don't even need to watch the vids to reach my conclusion...last night was pivotal for MT, and if the consensus is less than glowing, and he's still having trouble "gelling" or even playing in the beat, I'm turning 180 to say the band is better overall without him.

We all know that time changes things, and while MT certainly evolved musically over the years, he is inconsistent with the Stones; and, it would be a tall (but certainly not impossible) order to expect him to be consistent.

We had CYHMK in L.A., and that was such a good high, I'm all set with MT and the Stones at this point. It's just mudding up the sound.

He's good on that Midnight Rambler version, though.

Posted by: proudmary ()
Date: June 7, 2013 14:11

Five differences between the Rolling Stones’ two concerts in Toronto
[www.theglobeandmail.com]

Posted by: Nasty Habits ()
Date: June 7, 2013 14:11

Thrylan
sabata
Worried About You

Always have been a sucker for this and Tops.

Nailed it!

"I've got nasty habits I take tea at three"

Posted by: maradona ()
Date: June 7, 2013 14:28

SomeTorontoGirl
Just back from the concert and WOW - what a difference from May 25th. First, this was a comment after I posted about the sound on May 25th. It was loud and muddy and I was nearly deaf for a week afterwards...

gotdablouse
For your ears for the 6th get yourself a pair of these "musician earplugs" : [www.amazon.com]

I got some after being made half deaf at the Trabendo last year, they basically turn the level down without filtering out frequencies like standard earplugs would do. Wish I'd known about them years ago!

OK gotdablouse - you rock! I got a pair of those earplugs and it was amazing, the difference. It was still loud, I was sitting under the same damn bank of speakers, but it was completely clear! I am never taking these earplugs out! Can't recommend them enough, and can't thank you enough for the tip. If you ever need a kidney, I'm O Neg.

Short question: Is it possible to use them more than once? I'm going to order today and do not want to pay the shipping twice winking smiley

Posted by: Marcust99 ()
Date: June 7, 2013 14:28

No guest? No problem. GREAT fun show last night. I enjoyed it much better then May 25. Had the $85 mystery seats again and ended up in 323 (about 2/3 of the way back uppper). Not bad but I was on a mission to get an upgrade. Long story short and much social engineering later, 2 songs in we were sitting in 108 (lower bowl in line with the end of the lip). Excellent seats. So glad to get CYHMK with Mick Taylor. Was neat to hear Jagger talk about Come On, their first single released 50 years ago TODAY! Charlie played a bit of it and Mick sang a few bars then it petered out. Oddest part of the night was the web vote of Worried About You. Odd in that I find it hard to believe that fans would pick this over Sweet Virginia or even Loving Cup. NOBODY in the crowd knew the song at all and it kinda threw the flow of energy in the show off a bit. Jagger handled the falsetto parts very well though.The highlight of the night for me though was the Midnight Rambler. Mick T just shredded on it and it seems Jagger gave him much more room to play then on May 25. Really really great stuff. If that was possibly the last Toronto show, then it was an excellent way to send off. Thank you Rolling Stones.

Posted by: schillid ()
Date: June 7, 2013 14:51

I'm hoping there's no guest in Philly like last night.
I hope that they decide to add a few more songs with Mick Taylor.

Posted by: Marcust99 ()
Date: June 7, 2013 15:05

Start Me Up:

Posted by: SomeTorontoGirl ()
Date: June 7, 2013 15:12

maradona
Short question: Is it possible to use them more than once? I'm going to order today and do not want to pay the shipping twice winking smiley

Absolutely!

Posted by: mgshorr ()
Date: June 7, 2013 15:17

Yes these meant to last a long time.

Posted by: golfjen2001 ()
Date: June 7, 2013 15:27

Saw all the guests I need in final Newark show now looking forward to no guests in BOSTON FOR SHOW 1. Really need to see an hear ychmk live again may have to also find way to Montreal for sunday show.

Posted by: StonesCat ()
Date: June 7, 2013 15:29

paulm

Every review from fans that actually go to the shows always say Knocking and/or Rambler are great, and highlights from the shows. Then one or two of the same people analyze his solos from afar to the nth degree on here, and suddenly it was "pivotal" last night for him? Whaaa? That's some good comedy. You really wanna analyze each of the three's playing to that level?

Date: June 7, 2013 15:32

StonesCat
paulm

Every review from fans that actually go to the shows always say Knocking and/or Rambler are great, and highlights from the shows. Then one or two of the same people analyze his solos from afar to the nth degree on here, and suddenly it was "pivotal" last night for him? Whaaa? That's some good comedy. You really wanna analyze each of the three's playing to that level?

Let's hear it from The Globe And Mail - Toronto, then:

"Can’t You Here Me Knocking : Former lead guitarist Mick Taylor, brought back in small nightly doses for this tour, stretched out like Carlos Santana on the sprawling Latin-grooved jam that makes up the song’s second part. He fumbled initially, and never did match the finesse of the recorded version from 1971’s Sticky Fingers . It was as if Taylor was trying to fit in all the notes he missed over the years, having left the band in 1974".

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-06-07 15:32 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: paulm ()
Date: June 7, 2013 15:37

DandelionPowderman
He's [MT] good on that Midnight Rambler version, though.

Sure, it's nice to have him up there. I know 38 years have passed and things have changed, but I get uncomfortable when MT starts doing his RW routine, bouncing his leg, chumming up with everybody on stage. I realize he is just enjoying the moment, and that's great. But from a playing point of view, his playing degrades quickly once he starts the chumming routine.

In the Golden Age, dude stood in front of his amp and played. That is when and how MT plays best. Even the great bit he had in CYHMK, he was in that stance and zone. Bill Wyman was the same, as lots of other great musicians are, who are probably more of an introspective nature, which I believe MT is. They just focus on what they're doing, which is playing the instrument, and they're so good that the energy translates into enjoyment, making up for any animated deficiencies.

This in contrast to extrovert player like Keith and certainly RW, who can pull off goofing, chumming, pick tossing, etc. While those antics work up to a point for Keith and nearly define RW, note how Keith has improved lately by more focus, less pose and chum.

Posted by: duffydawg ()
Date: June 7, 2013 15:37

I was at the show last night....MT again was the highlight. CYHMK was probably the best yet. Incredible.

The guys commenting on the Solo wasn't there.... big difference trust me.

MT needs to be put into more songs for sure. Without MT this is ABB and SW tour all over again.

Date: June 7, 2013 15:39

duffydawg
I was at the show last night....MT again was the highlight. CYHMK was probably the best yet. Incredible.

The guys commenting on the Solo wasn't there.... big difference trust me.

MT needs to be put into more songs for sure. Without MT this is ABB and SW tour all over again.

It's always special being there, for sure.

But this time the papers are saying the same thing:

www.theglobeandmail.com

Posted by: palerider22 ()
Date: June 7, 2013 16:02

DandelionPowderman
StonesCat
paulm

Let's hear it from The Globe And Mail - Toronto, then:

"Can’t You Here Me Knocking : Former lead guitarist Mick Taylor, brought back in small nightly doses for this tour, stretched out like Carlos Santana on the sprawling Latin-grooved jam that makes up the song’s second part. He fumbled initially, and never did match the finesse of the recorded version from 1971’s Sticky Fingers . It was as if Taylor was trying to fit in all the notes he missed over the years, having left the band in 1974".

Too much over-analysis....The Globe guy is stretching for something to write. Like a couple of posters have already said....both CYMYK and MR sounded '#*$$*$# insane live... And I was in the 300's. They both hit 10 of 10 on the applause meter...

Posted by: Jesse ()
Date: June 7, 2013 16:02

Thanks to comments from Edward Twiling I understand why some of you love M.T.

I also listened/watched carefully the newest videos posted (thanks) and agree with someone who said MT is great but he muddies the sound. It's too much guitar for some of us. Give him his 2 or 3 songs MAX.

He seems to be messing up the dynamics of the group too. Band members don't look as happy as they did earlier in the tour. (I can't believe they're tired -- what does the rest of the tour look like then?)
I think Jagger looks icily toward MT (check it out) not Keefe. Maybe because on some songs, MT goes off a bit (I KNOW that's what some want but it might be better for small clubs) and then the other guitars sound "off." I think MT does it unintentionally, he IS more creative. I think the audience will go crazy for anything but Jagger is a nitpicker and I think he wants a tighter show. He doesn't look comfortable shaking those maracas when MT goes on and on.

Good talking to you folks. MT is a fine guitarist; love him but please don't always criticize Ronnie. Pax.

Date: June 7, 2013 16:08

Jesse

Good talking to you folks. MT is a fine guitarist; love him but please don't always criticize Ronnie. Pax.

Tis the way of the taylorites and liking Ronnie supposedly brings a taylorites credentials in to question.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...89101112131415161718...LastNext
Current Page: 13 of 21

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1882
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home