Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Rotating the War Horses
Posted by: drbryant ()
Date: June 6, 2013 10:03

I agree with this. I think that the following songs are familiar enough to the general public (at least in the United States) that they could be seamlessly rotated into the set as "warhorse alternatives".

Ruby Tuesday
Let's Spend the Night Together
Under My Thumb
She's a Rainbow
Street Fighting Man
Wild Horses
Angie
Beast of Burden
Waiting on a Friend
Undercover

Posted by: rollingon ()
Date: June 6, 2013 10:27

MidnightLurker
It seems to me there would be less complaning about set lists, although people would find something else to complain about, if the War Horses were rotated show to show. To me this band really only has 3 war horses that MUST be played every night for the hard working people - JJF, BS, and Satisfaction. I would rotate the other so-called war horses (HTW, MY, TD, SFTD, SMU) with these new war horses (SFM, Shattered, LSTNT, UMT, CYHMK). I don't understand why a band with 300+ songs acts like it only has 7 or 8 true war horses that must be played every night. This band should have 15 - 20 war horses!

And Keef needs to mix up his two-song set also. I went to three consecutive shows in Boston at three different venues in 2002 (I think), and he never once changed up his set. Hearing Slipping Away on three straight nights in Boston was not very exciting. For this tour Keef, mix it up and give us YDHTMI or We Had It All or The Nearness of You once in a while instead of the same two songs every night! Rotate on that Mick, Chuck, and Keef!

In addition to JJF, BS and Satisfaction many of those who are not the real fans also expect them to play Paint if Black, Honky Tonk Women and Start Me Up. These three songs are very, very well known Stones songs and many would be disappointed if anyof those songs wouldn't be played, I would almost add Miss You to that category as well, so I think there are maybe 7 war horses but there would still be room for 15 rotating songs.

Date: June 6, 2013 10:29

I suggested to make a new set of warhorses before:

Beast Of Burden
Rip This Joint
All Down The Line
Midnight Rambler
Tumbling Dice
Brown Sugar
JJF
Satisfaction

Date: June 6, 2013 10:34

DandelionPowderman
I suggested to make a new set of warhorses before:

Beast Of Burden
Rip This Joint
All Down The Line
Midnight Rambler
Tumbling Dice
Brown Sugar
JJF
Satisfaction

It's odd IMO that they don't play Beast of Burden more often, it's definitely one of their greatest songs and now when Jagger's voice is in excellent condition they should really play it! They could at least rotate it with Emotional Rescue.

Posted by: Thrylan ()
Date: June 6, 2013 10:39

BOB was done in 78', 81' and a couple tours in the 90's......guess it doesnt get old if its not on every tour........lesson here Mick..

Date: June 6, 2013 10:41

drbryant
I agree with this. I think that the following songs are familiar enough to the general public (at least in the United States) that they could be seamlessly rotated into the set as "warhorse alternatives".

Ruby Tuesday
Let's Spend the Night Together
Under My Thumb
She's a Rainbow
Street Fighting Man
Wild Horses
Angie
Beast of Burden
Waiting on a Friend
Undercover

Under my Thumb should be played every now and then, it's one of their greatest songs from 60s.

Angie could be the highlight of every show if they would rehearse it properly and if Jagger would sing it in the same way he did in the 70s. I think it was really good live back then (for example Brussels 73). Additionally if Mick Taylor would play some real good guitar solo in Angie, it could really be one of the greatest songs of this tour.

Posted by: MichaelLassen ()
Date: June 6, 2013 13:14

The thing is that as clever, smart and deserving all of us hard core fans might feel about set lists, it's Mick who's up there and can feel the energy and the reaction from the audience when playing Tumblin Dice vs Sway.

I almost had a heart attack when I saw Sway the first time in Berlin 06, and I think it's fantastic they did that considering the lack of response from the majority o the people there (who incidently are the reason the tours are possible).

So yes, I'd love to pay half of what I own for a recidential at Webster Hall in new York and to be able to yell out requests, but that's probably not going to happen :-)

I for one appriciate that they do take chances, don't play what get's the best response, and It's cool that Mick is listening to Chick who seems to be the one who keeps pushing for Mick to be more adventuorus.

Date: June 6, 2013 13:56

MichaelLassen
The thing is that as clever, smart and deserving all of us hard core fans might feel about set lists, it's Mick who's up there and can feel the energy and the reaction from the audience when playing Tumblin Dice vs Sway.

I almost had a heart attack when I saw Sway the first time in Berlin 06, and I think it's fantastic they did that considering the lack of response from the majority o the people there (who incidently are the reason the tours are possible).

So yes, I'd love to pay half of what I own for a recidential at Webster Hall in new York and to be able to yell out requests, but that's probably not going to happen :-)

I for one appriciate that they do take chances, don't play what get's the best response, and It's cool that Mick is listening to Chick who seems to be the one who keeps pushing for Mick to be more adventuorus.

Chick???

Do you mean L'Wren?

Or is this Chuck's new petname?

cool smiley

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: June 6, 2013 16:04

rollingon
MichaelLassen

Chick???

Do you mean L'Wren?

Or is this Chuck's new petname?

cool smiley

Chick is Brenda, Mick's alter ego.

Posted by: mnewman505 ()
Date: June 6, 2013 16:16

listen to the crowd reaction when they start off CYHMK at Chicago 2, people go nuts! way more than the reaction for the warhorses.

Posted by: drbryant ()
Date: June 6, 2013 16:28

mnewman505
listen to the crowd reaction when they start off CYHMK at Chicago 2, people go nuts! way more than the reaction for the warhorses.

Even if they've never heard CYHMK, most humans will react positively to Keith's opening riffs. I think it's natural human instinct.

Posted by: donvis ()
Date: June 6, 2013 16:30

In terms of Mick Jagger's Ten War Horses for every show, IORR is certainly a War Horse and has been since 1989 along with:
Satisfation
TD
SFTD
JJF
SMU
Miss You
BS
HTW.
The tenth War Horse seems to vary by tour, but this time I would say it is either
PIB, GS, or YCAGWYW.

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: June 7, 2013 09:39

How to rotate a bunch of Warhorses...

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1329
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home