Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Nearness Of You
Posted by: G. the Cock ()
Date: March 16, 2005 17:36

Hi Folks,
had my own lovestory with this tune now and do need the guitar tab plus info if there's a studio version of keith's rendition to download anywhere.
Thanks G.

Re: Nearness Of You
Posted by: davido ()
Date: March 16, 2005 17:42

Fun in a camp sort of throwaway
manner. Too bad Keith doesn't have
the voice for such a great standard,
but perhaps it will serve to introduce
folks to some of the more varied stuff
he likes, outside the more typical
Stones genres.............And if
you like it, hey! Enjoy!

Posted by: john r ()
Date: March 16, 2005 17:46

I think it works ok, but would be better in a more (but still electric) intimate studio version minus the horns, where K could have refined his vocal

Date: March 16, 2005 17:48

John, we all love the guy, but let's
face -it he doesn't have much of a vocal
range to refine. ;-)

Posted by: john r ()
Date: March 16, 2005 18:22

Yes, but I'm talking about the expressiveness that's there on Thru & Thru or Losing My Touch and NOT on the live, half-baked Nearness - it sounds like a runthrough, & if you don't have the 'range' or technique to fall back on then there better be some soul or meaning in the vocal. Same w/ Dylan's vocals. And I always recall how effective Billie Holiday was, her voice utterly shot from years of drug abuse etc, on "Lady In Satin" her last studio album

Date: March 16, 2005 21:02

Ahem, people, the quality of Keith's version of "Nearness Of You" ist beyond discussion. Look at the lyrics, see Keith's broken face and voice and you've got the most sensual lovesong of all time.
I found a love with a tape from the LiveLicks version and as I've lost her now after a too short time by circumstances I have to come back to my initial question:
Anyone here able to tell me the guitar chords for the song? Plus: is there an acceptable Keith studio version available for download (or anyone so grateful to send it by e-mail) as my old vinyl bootleg version is a mess soundwise...
Many thanks folks in advance!
I want, no I need to send the "graceless lady" my pretty own version of this one, hope you'll understand my opinion
All the best
G. The Cock

Posted by: KeithRichards ()
Date: March 16, 2005 21:16

G. the Cock - there was a discussion about the chords for Nearness Of You a couple of months ago. I guess if you use the "search" button you'll find it.
I can send you a take from Nearness Of You from the Voodoo Lounge sessions if you want?

Posted by: KeithRichards ()
Date: March 16, 2005 21:19

Here's the thread:

[iorr.org]

Date: March 16, 2005 21:21

Yes John -I wouldn't put Keith in the
same category as a Billie Holiday or
Bob Dylan when it comes to "expressive
singing", but your point is well taken,
and that, a lot moreso than technical
sophistication or range is what a lot
of the Stones are all about. True enuff!

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: March 16, 2005 22:21

As a bonus track the Japanese pressing of Long Ago & Far Away features Bernard Fowler performing a version of The Nearness Of You.

Long Ago & Far Away - Charlie Watts VJCP-25240

ROCKMAN

Posted by: mark ()
Date: March 16, 2005 23:02

Well G.....thanks Keith.....looks like we got some rehearsing to do for these ladies......mine wanted me to learn it and sing it for her.....good luck.

Date: March 16, 2005 23:13

Hi Mark,
yeah let's rehearse it. Mine melted first under "Nearness...", but throwed me away later. Wrote a song about that, LoveInVain- style, I'm going to rehearse and record it together with NOY.

Date: March 16, 2005 23:15

Thank you Keith!
Got the VL sessions completely, I wonder if there's a better sounding version from the 77 (?) sessions as released on "Booze And Pills And Powders" - the first boot I created the sleeve

Date: March 16, 2005 23:20

Hi Rockman and thanks for the info. Any idea where i can purchase the jap CD. eBay says no currently

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: March 16, 2005 23:23

HMV Japan...Just click down the bottom of page for English translation. Left side if I remember correctly.

ROCKMAN

Date: March 16, 2005 23:26

Many thanks Rockman!

Posted by: Niklas ()
Date: March 18, 2005 11:02

If anyone can't hear the greatness in Keiths vocals I think it's sad. He is so soulful, tender and REAL when he does his stuff. It's a highlight in every Stones concert! just love his voice and the intensity he puts in his singing!

Posted by: mark ()
Date: March 18, 2005 18:40

I guess only women get it.....

Date: March 18, 2005 22:02

No, Mark, sorry, I get i t too! If you listen to different renditions of this tune, and there are many, the one Keith did is of course the most soulful and emotional one! You'll get women with it, but you'll get it too..... ;-)
G. The Cock

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1563
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home