Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT: West Coast Road Trip and Some Rolling Stones Concerts
Posted by: MingSubu ()
Date: June 5, 2013 23:49

Pittsburgh -> Chicago -> Rt 66 -> Side trip to the Four Corners -> Rt 66 -> Petrified Forest/Painted Desert N.P. -> Santa Monica -> Joshua Tree N.P. -> Santa Monica -> CA 1 -> San Fran/Oakland Concert -> Yosemite N.P. -> San Jose Concert -> Death Valley N.P. -> Las Vegas Concert -> Grand Canyon N.P. -> New Orleans -> Pittsburgh

Pics are in no particular order.

San Jose, early afternoon of the concert.

Yosemite N.P.

Oakland

CA 1

Josua Tree N.P.

Wigwam Motel (Rialto, Ca)

Oatman, Az feeding the burros.

At a Rt 66 museum.

Grand Canyon N.P. at sunrise, upper rim.

MGM Grand's Parking Garage

Death Valley, Badwater Basin

New Orleans, St Peter's Guest House

Room 1 was mine.

Who's room was this? New room number and was remodeled, so new furniture too.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-06-05 23:50 by MingSubu.

Re: OT: West Coast Road Trip and Some Rolling Stones Concerts
Posted by: sweet things ()
Date: June 6, 2013 00:17

I like this visual document of your shows/journey. I went to Oakland too!
Thanks!
cool smiley

Date: June 6, 2013 00:46

Thanks you

Oakland was fun!!! Live With Me and Little Red Rooster stand out for me. Man, when that fan video started, YOWZA.

Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: June 6, 2013 01:07

MingSubu
Thanks you

Oakland was fun!!! Live With Me and Little Red Rooster stand out for me. Man, when that fan video started, YOWZA.

.....you had me there for a minute!
....there's nothing fun about Oakland... except seeing a good concert and making it back to where ever you came from...safely.

Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: June 6, 2013 01:10

Totally cool, Thanks for sharing.
I remember when you were talking about planning this great trip.
Congratulations on the success!smileys with beer

Posted by: BustedButton ()
Date: June 6, 2013 02:10

Congrats, really neat.

Date: June 6, 2013 02:12

Max'sKansasCity
Totally cool, Thanks for sharing.
I remember when you were talking about planning this great trip.
Congratulations on the success!smileys with beer

Welcome and thank you. Seems like yesterday. Went by too fast.

This country is filled with a lot of nice and generous people. Treasures to be found around every corner, no matter what part of the country.

Route 66 was just @#$%& cool. Mostly 2 lane roads, hit cruise control, sit back and enjoy the ride.

Cadillac Ranch

Four Corners, stood in all 4, at the same time. Had McD's bfast with me. I walked around the and ate. So I ate breakfast in 4 different states that morning. Dorky, yeah, but that's me.

New Mexico, Rt 66 Santa Fe Loop

Petrified Forest/Painted Desert N.P.

Wigwam Motel (Holbrook, Az)

Meteor Crater, Az

Date: June 6, 2013 02:21

Cool! Your pictures remind me of the cross country trips we took when I was a kid. Please post as many pictures with your great captions as you want, they are great! I too walked around that 4 corners plate... brings back good memoires.

Date: June 6, 2013 15:20

Uranus Gas gas station, AZ. Fun little place with some funny photo ops.

Hoover Dam

Lake Mead R.A. trail to the Hoover Dam. Used to be train tracks.

Santa Cruz Amusement Park

Joshua Tree N.P., some cacti were in bloom. Which was pretty cool.

Santa Monica

Better pic of Brian.

Pops in Arcadia, 400-600 types of soda.

Meremac Caverns, awesome cavern tour. Forgot my camera though. Heavy rains caused our tour to be a little hurried.

What must look like heaven, for some.

Some Muffler Men.

Rt 66 has some great food along the way.

Great reuben sandwich. Could go for one now!

Rock Cafe's bathroom

Tow's cousin in Kansas, 4 Women on the Corner.

Marsh Arch Bridge

San Jose, right down the street from my hotel. I was like, no @#$%&' way? This is a sign. Had a blast in San Jose.

El Capitan(?) and another waterfall in Yosemite.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-06-06 15:23 by MingSubu.

Date: June 6, 2013 16:43

Totally awesome! It is like postcards from America. Great pictures smileys with beer

Posted by: Kurt ()
Date: August 13, 2013 18:33

FANTASTIC!
I'm so glad I just found the link back to this thread...

We took this same trip as kids in the 70's and what memories!
I am planning on recreating it next year with my own children.

Thanks again and Rock on!

Posted by: DaveG ()
Date: August 13, 2013 19:18

Beautiful shots! Thank you so much for posting them. Some of them remind me of just how wonderful California is, with the great beaches, Yosemite, deserts, and more. My home state! I love Yosemite. My father-in-law used to work there, so we would visit often. I have skied there and have climbed to the top of Half Dome (from the back side), encountering bears along the way.

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: August 13, 2013 19:26

great photos . looks like you had a awesome adventure!!!!!!!!!

Date: August 13, 2013 20:27

Thanks everyone!!!

Rt 66 is like going back in time. The whole kitsch, Americana atmosphere was super cool. Lots and lots of very nice people too!

I've been lucky and have been on a few dream trips. This one is very special to me. My first SRT! Which gave me some freedom to explore a little bit. NOLA was literally a flip of a quarter.

Posted by: Rolling Hansie ()
Date: August 13, 2013 22:56

I completely missed this thread. Only see it now. Great. Thanks

-------------------
Keep On Rolling smoking smiley

Posted by: pmk251 ()
Date: August 14, 2013 00:56

In 1960 I climbed into the family car along with Mom, Dad and my two sisters and left Chicago to take that trip down Route 66 and move to LA. A couple of those photos (Wigwam Motels, the meteor crater) remind me of that trip. Nice photos of California, too. Yosemite is awesome in the true meaning of the word. Santa Monica Pier and Santa Cruz Boardwalk...two fun places to spend the day. Thanks for the photos!

Posted by: owlbynite ()
Date: August 15, 2013 11:20

Thanks for this response to my query in your original Atlas thread. Knew you'd love old route 66 (who couldn't) we went to most of the sites you pictured. But did you get the toe Hard Rock in Vegas? cool smiley

Date: August 16, 2013 16:58

owlbynite
Thanks for this response to my query in your original Atlas thread. Knew you'd love old route 66 (who couldn't) we went to most of the sites you pictured. But did you get the toe Hard Rock in Vegas? cool smiley

Sorry about missing this.

No, I didn't go into the Hard Rock. Vaguely remember standing in front of the place, reminding myself to come back.

Vegas, for me, was a little odd this time around. I think the temps, at Death Valley, cooked my brain.

Posted by: angee ()
Date: August 16, 2013 19:16

MingSubu, great stuff!

What was it like staying in the Wigwam Motels and how did you happen to decide to stay there?

~"Love is Strong"~

Date: August 16, 2013 21:47

angee
MingSubu, great stuff!

What was it like staying in the Wigwam Motels and how did you happen to decide to stay there?

Being an iconic motel on 66, I had to stay at one. Come on, a big wigwam as a room!!! grinning smiley The second stay was kind of a coincidence. Had enough driving for the day, was in Rialto and figured why not. Glad I did. I stayed 2 nights. I kinda liked San Bernardino.

Both places were very clean and had a great staff. The Rialto Wigwam was remodeled recently. Nice hardwood floors, beds, etc.

They are smaller on the inside, than you would think. The walls are angled, with neat little windows. The bathroom was a little cramped, espcially the shower. Do not let this prevent anyone from staying at either one. It is a great experience and I'd stay again in a second.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2013-08-16 21:48 by MingSubu.

Date: August 16, 2013 22:57

Some the funnest pictures ever posted here, thanks!

Posted by: owlbynite ()
Date: August 17, 2013 08:41

MingSubu
owlbynite

No, I didn't go into the Hard Rock. Vaguely remember standing in front of the place, reminding myself to come back.

Vegas, for me, was a little odd this time around. I think the temps, at Death Valley, cooked my brain.

those temps will do that...
we've enjoyed some great exhibits @ the Vegas Hard Rock thru the years (a group Rolling Stones w/suits & guitars,) plus good food, play & fun! maybe next time if you can do it again...really wanted to return before my friends moved back to CA. cool smiley

Date: August 17, 2013 16:16

owlbynite
MingSubu
owlbynite

those temps will do that...
we've enjoyed some great exhibits @ the Vegas Hard Rock thru the years (a group Rolling Stones w/suits & guitars,) plus good food, play & fun! maybe next time if you can do it again...really wanted to return before my friends moved back to CA. cool smiley

Next Vegas trip, I'll definitly go.

Forgot to thank all who posted here. Thank you!!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-08-17 17:11 by MingSubu.

Posted by: Rialb ()
Date: August 17, 2013 18:47

Great pictures. So many interesting places to see in the U.S.
Yosemite is such a magical place. I would highly encourage anyone to spend a couple days in the Yosemite Valley.

Posted by: JuanTCB ()
Date: August 18, 2013 19:39

Great pics!

St. Peter's Guest House... Johnny Thunders?

Date: August 18, 2013 21:18

JuanTCB
Great pics!

St. Peter's Guest House... Johnny Thunders?

Yup!!! It wasn't available during my stay. However, the @#$%& coolest staff in the world, let me go in and snap some pics. Never have I done something like this before. I did feel a little odd snooping in a dead guy's room. I am a big JT fan and I meant no disrespect. Though, a small part of me was hoping for a kind of a "crossroads deal". Alas, my playing is still shitty. Just not cool shitty. winking smiley

The older gentleman caretaker, who was hired shortly after JT died, bs'd with me for a while. He was a real cool cat. Really enjoyed our conversation that morning, on the balcony. No new info or anything, but kind of very close to the source. Things like how the room was set up, furniture wise. The room was a lot smaller than I pictured. I keep forgetting that he just arrived into town too. So who knows if he planned on living there, or staying till he found a place.

Once again, the St. Peter's Guest House staff was just about the downright coolest buncha cats you can ever come across. I fealt at home there and I ain't even gay. smiling smiley Loved the place!!! I can still hear the desklady saying, "Awwwwww, the Johnny Thunders' room, mm'hmm... dat Johnny Thunders' room." Lovely lady.

I'm undecided when I'm visiting St. Peter's again. Halloween, Christmas, or just a couple day stretch late winter. Maybe get a jumpstart on Spring, but the French Quater during Halloween sounds neat. Really wish the Stones would do something close to NOLA. And soon!!!!!!

Thanks for the comments! smileys with beer

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1873
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home