Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 4 of 5
Re: When did the downhill begin..?
Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: June 6, 2013 22:10

24FPS
I listened to ABB in the car yesterday on a long drive.

yeah, that would be a long drive...

Posted by: rollingon ()
Date: June 6, 2013 22:30

RobertJohnson
There were always ups and downs, but I think: The last concert of the genuine Rolling Stones took place in Leeds 1982. After that we're all victims of the Vegas act with the exception of the rare Taylor-spots nowadays.

I agree, I've been thinking just the same for a long time now. As for the records I think Undercover is the last consistently good album, after that there has been some good songs on the albums but no so consistently. Voodoo Lounge is pretty good attempt but maybe a couple of really good songs should have been there to make it a real good album consistently.

As for concerts from 1989 there has been of course good concerts but not in the same way as in 1982. It's been more show business, not so much real rock'n roll anymore and there has not been a single concert with really great energy and intensity throughout the whole concert as they still could do in 1982. So there has been really great single song performances until these days but not as a whole concert as in 1982 but I must admit that the expectations for the Stones are real high here.

But at the current tour the sound is great, Keith is much better than in ABB tour and Mick Taylor elevates the whole band and if the tour continues I believe there can be some pretty good concerts. And Jagger can still be really good and his voice is in great condition.

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: June 6, 2013 22:33

StonesTod
24FPS
I listened to ABB in the car yesterday on a long drive.

yeah, that would be a long drive...

That had to feel like a crawl at some point...

Posted by: MILKYWAY ()
Date: June 6, 2013 22:34

Pretty sure it was around late 1974. Yeah, late 1974.

Posted by: GravityBoy ()
Date: June 6, 2013 23:03

It went downhill when Keith sported a moustache.

The shark was well and truely humped.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: June 6, 2013 23:15

GravityBoy

That was but one in a series of very low points.

Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: June 6, 2013 23:16

Downhill SCHMOWNhill

Posted by: lem motlow ()
Date: June 7, 2013 01:30

Max'sKansasCity
GREAT SONG!

i still cannot believe that anyone who likes the rolling stones can listen to that riff that keith is laying down,that lead that taylor is playing over it and say they dont like this song..

oh thats right you guys still think the D stands for "devil" - and its sort of a lame follow up to sympathy,right? ah ha ha ha

Date: June 7, 2013 01:35

lem motlow
Max'sKansasCity
GREAT SONG!

i still cannot believe that anyone who likes the rolling stones can listen to that riff that keith is laying down,

Well, beleive it, Stranger things have happened.

Date: June 7, 2013 01:38

Another great version of that great song....

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: June 7, 2013 01:50

Not bad from a nostalgia point a few........................but I alway hated that Do Do Do Do Do Do Do

Doo Doo Doo Doo Doo (Heartbreaker)
The police in New York City,
they chased a boy right through the park.
And in a case of mistaken identity
the put a bullet through his heart.

Heart breakers with your forty four,
I wanna tear your world apart,
you heart breaker with your forty four,
I wanna tear your world a part.

A ten year old girl on a street corner,
Sticking needles in her arm.
She died in the dirt of an alleyway,
her mother said she had no chance, no chance!
Heart breaker, heart breaker,
she stuck the pins right in her heart.
Heart breaker, pain maker,
stole the love right out of you heart.

you stole the love right out of my heart.
I wanna tear your world apart.

Doo doo, doo doo doo doo doo doo,...

Date: June 7, 2013 01:55

thanks max.i've posted this before but i'll do it again for those that didnt see it-

dancing with mr d = dancing with Death.

"down in the graveyard where we had our tryst""...i saw the flesh just fall off her bones"... drinkin belladonna on a tuesday night"...."looking down a 44 in west virginia"

the song is about death and dying....and it kicks ass.

Date: June 7, 2013 02:02

lem motlow
thanks max.i've posted this before but i'll do it again for those that didnt see it-

"down in the graveyard where we had our tryst""...i saw the flesh just fall off her bones"... drinkin belladonna on a tuesday night"...."looking down a 44 in west virginia"

I actually never listen to the words, to hardly any songs.
I think it was Keith who said a long time ago when asked what a song meant... he advised... dont think about it too much... groove to it. or soemthing like that....or maybe it wasnt him.... but someone said it... and it makes things a lot easier.

I just have always liked that groove of DWMD.. plus the time and space and events and people and the good times and fun I have had in my life with that song as a sound track.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: June 7, 2013 02:16

.............what happened to the guy that jumps ????....

ROCKMAN

Date: June 7, 2013 02:19

Max'sKansasCity
lem motlow

I think it was Keith who said a long time ago when asked what a song meant... he advised... dont think about it too much... groove to it. or soemthing like that....or maybe it wasnt him.... but someone said it... and it makes things a lot easier.

I just have always liked that groove of DWMD.. plus the time and space and events and people and the good times and fun I have had in my life with that song as a sound track.

i know what you're saying but so many fans miss out on that great song because they think its supposed to be a follow up to sympathy or something.thats why i brought up the lyrics- probably should have just named it "dancing with death" , people would have understood it more.

that why he's saying "keep your hand off me"...the hand of death.

Date: June 7, 2013 02:22

lem motlow
Max'sKansasCity
lem motlow

i know what you're saying but so many fans miss out on that great song because they think its supposed to be a follow up to sympathy or something.thats why i brought up the lyrics- probably should have just named it "dancing with death" , people would have understood it more.

that why he's saying "keep your hand off me"...the hand of death.

smileys with beer And I am (arent we) glad to see that Mr D listened.

Thank ya kindly Mr D.

and thanks for the explaination lem

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: June 7, 2013 02:28

GravityBoy

It's jumped GravityBoy...you don't want to try that on a shark.

Posted by: Slick ()
Date: June 7, 2013 02:48

lem motlow

its Toussaint night

Posted by: Mister_D ()
Date: June 7, 2013 07:59

smileys with beer And I am (arent we) glad to see that Mr D listened.

Thank ya kindly Mr D.

Yer welcome.

Posted by: Bliss ()
Date: June 7, 2013 10:59

Actually, I listened to Biggest Mistake last night and found I liked it quite a lot.

Date: June 7, 2013 16:38

Bliss
Actually, I listened to Biggest Mistake last night and found I liked it quite a lot.

when did you start going downhill?

Posted by: schillid ()
Date: June 7, 2013 16:52

After the uphill part

Date: June 7, 2013 16:54

schillid
After the uphill part

it was certainly lonely at the top while it lasted...

Date: June 7, 2013 16:56

StonesTod
schillid
After the uphill part

it was certainly lonely at the top while it lasted...

who would know ?

Date: June 7, 2013 17:14

When there's rolling stones, eventually they have to go downhill.

Date: June 7, 2013 17:16

schillid
When there's rolling stones, eventually they have to go downhill.

or they'd gather moths or something....

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: June 7, 2013 17:55

lem motlow

...and in a brilliant production move, the Stones sound absolutely dead on this recording.

Posted by: Turning To Gold ()
Date: June 7, 2013 18:07

December 1985 - Ian Stewart. Nothing really to do with music, but after Stu died they no longer had the grounding that kept the Rolling Stones' real identity solid (example, how they could be badass jet set rock stars but still be in touch with the street and the common person). If you look at the people around them from that point forward, it really changed. As a band they are no longer in touch with the street or the real world, at all anymore. The everyman anti-hero Kieth of "Before They Make Me Run" who never got a lift out of Learjets is long gone, although he talks like it's still the same but now it's clearly just an act, he's not really CONNECTED to rebellion any more. And World War III, the Vegas thing, in a sense it all happened because no one was left on the inside to talk to them straight or take them down a peg, if they needed to be reminded of who they were. Especially Mick and Keith.

THAT's when all this friction between them, really escalated and ruined the ability of them to work together creatively, because Stu was not there to mock them both and keep them in check. Thus spoiling the songwriting partnership and the camaraderie and the "singing out of the same microphone" and so forth. I don't know if they'd be better musically, but if you still had Stu to say "knock it off, you sacks of sh*t" every once in a while, I think the post-1985 Vegas history of the band would be much much different.

Date: June 7, 2013 18:15

dammit stu!

Posted by: Edward Twining ()
Date: June 7, 2013 20:29

The massive decline within the Stones came immediately after the album TATTOO YOU. However, if you are talking about the first hint of decline following their absolute peak, then GOATS HEAD SOUP is the album, and perhaps the autumn 73 concerts, the live shows.

Many do see those live shows as the Stones absolute pinnacle, and to a point i can see why. The Stones do pretty much sound on fire. However, it is also here where i sense a more theatrical element developing within their playing - where excess begins to replace ever so slightly inspiration. Whereas the Australian 73 tour showed the Stones still rocking and rolling fairly sincerely, an element of bombast begins creeping in during those late 73 european shows, which very much leads onto those less inspiring shows on the 75 tour, where decline becomes all the more obvious, within all the theatrical excess and decadence.

However, for me, as the Stones were coming off such an almighty highpoint in their career, that both GOATS HEAD SOUP and the european tour, are still highs of a kind, and still amongst my favourite Stones moments. GOATS HEAD SOUP is perhaps better than its reputation affords it, although the album still manages to sow the seeds of doubt a little, within its meandering and unfocused feel at times. The late 73 shows to a degree come off better, because they do pack much more of a punch, yet there's also an element of rock 'n' roll parody creeping in. However, those shows are also unique too. Certainly Mick Taylor's musical dominance comes into play more potently.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 4 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2134
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home