Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 3 of 5
Re: When did the downhill begin..?
Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: June 6, 2013 09:35

JamesPhelge00
When did the downhill begin..?

June 16 1963 - when the original Crawdaddy closed.

grinning smiley

Posted by: drbryant ()
Date: June 6, 2013 09:52

The band began going downhill in 1975 with the Black and Blue album and the Lotus Blossom Stage Tour. But remember, that's coming from a very high peak - The Exile album and the 72-73 Tour is WAY up there - other people would need Sherpas to guide them.

Posted by: Thrylan ()
Date: June 6, 2013 10:28

drbryant
The band began going downhill in 1975 with the Black and Blue album and the Lotus Blossom Stage Tour. But remember, that's coming from a very high peak - The Exile album and the 72-73 Tour is WAY up there - other people would need Sherpas to guide them.

B&B is a mess, but I've been listening to alot of LYL lately, and its pretty strong. Ronnie is smoking on BS and I think that it has the best live IORR. Ronnie brought in many black influences, funk, reggae etc..... Blues is my favorite, but MT was rather limited in that was about the only black music he could play.

Posted by: TeddyB1018 ()
Date: June 6, 2013 12:03

I'd say they peaked creatively in '69, which was also their most unique tour. Over the next few years, they got great work from musicians who'd been playing with other bands, like Delaney and Bonnie, and of course the featuring of solo guitar by Mick Taylor, but they were less unique. The Stones have always taken inspiration from what is going on in the musical scene around them. They got Jimmy Miller because Traffic was hip. They continued to make records ranging from good to great up to World War III. Their live act has always remained high value, though the post '89 approach has had diminishing returns artistically. The years in which they changed it up and played smaller theaters have been a highlight. I then they could still blow the roof off any 2500 seater or less. Jagger became too studied, but he has gradually shaken that off this decade. So literally, it's been downhill since '69 to me, but a slow and mostly graceful trip down.

Date: June 6, 2013 12:23

drbryant

BAB is way better its two predecessors, imo.

Posted by: seitan ()
Date: June 6, 2013 12:30

It's been downhill since Ian Stewart was booted out...

Date: June 6, 2013 12:36

seitan
It's been downhill since Ian Stewart was booted out...

How did that affect his playing? confused smiley

Posted by: RoughJusticeOnYa ()
Date: June 6, 2013 12:50

...Some say: the fall of the Roman empire.
But I consider the Renaissance in its purest form as both the peak & the end of our civilisation.
Downhill, ever since...

(Mind you, I'm only talking about what might be considered as Western/ Kaukasian white/ Christian civilisation.
Asia & Africa are firmly taking over; so mankind may have still a good couple of centuries to go...
if it starts counting its blessings, and lives up to those)

...'or something'.

Date: June 6, 2013 12:55

Instead of talking about downhill, I think we should give the boys some credit for improving dramatically, compared to the BB tour (which was voted as the best tour ever here on IORR, btw winking smiley )

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: June 6, 2013 13:54

1981 tour. "Mick Jagger & the Rolling Stones". You can see it in Let's Spend the Night Together on the stadium scoreboard.

Posted by: Bliss ()
Date: June 6, 2013 14:22

For me, GHS was a big step down from what they had delivered previously. Afterward, there were numerous flashes of brilliance, but not like pre-GHS. I really like both Mick's and Keith's solo work however.

I didn't even get a copy of ABB. There was just nothing I liked about it.

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: June 6, 2013 14:28

It's totally subjective. Different era's evoke contrasting emotions and memories. Those who were 18 in 1966, may feel that the Brian era happened to be where it begins and ends, whilst those at a similar age in, say, '78, may feel Some Girls to be a peak.

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: June 6, 2013 14:32

Some Girls was my first tour (age 17). It was life changing. I really enjoyed several shows on the 40 Licks tour. Sticky Fingers night @ MGM Grand was amazing. & I saw them @ the Hard Rock the night before. That was a great weekend.

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: June 6, 2013 14:43

DandelionPowderman
drbryant

BAB is way better its two predecessors, imo.

Not in mine...

There are stuff on every album that would be good enough for the best albums, but the consistancy is not at the same level anymore.

Posted by: 71Tele ()

DandelionPowderman
Instead of talking about downhill, I think we should give the boys some credit for improving dramatically, compared to the BB tour (which was voted as the best tour ever here on IORR, btw winking smiley )

Agree!

Posted by: RoughJusticeOnYa ()
Date: June 6, 2013 15:07

"...Thank you, goodnite!" (Leeds, Roundhay Park, July 25, 1982.)

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: June 6, 2013 15:11

BowieStone
Munichhilton
Wait, there was a hill?

This is the moment. It's captured on photo.
Still arguing about it...should we do it? But we all know what happened.

When was this pic taken?? I'd guess around the time of before Altamont.

Posted by: RobertJohnson ()
Date: June 6, 2013 15:53

There were always ups and downs, but I think: The last concert of the genuine Rolling Stones took place in Leeds 1982. After that we're all victims of the Vegas act with the exception of the rare Taylor-spots nowadays.

Date: June 6, 2013 15:54

RobertJohnson
There were always ups and downs, but I think: The last concert of the genuine Rolling Stones took place in Leeds 1982. After that we're all victims of the Vegas act with the exception of the rare Taylor-spots nowadays.

It's just as much Vegas when Taylor joins as well? It's not like the whole band transforms into 1972 again just as soon he set foot on stage, is it?

Posted by: BowieStone ()
Date: June 6, 2013 15:59

Silver Dagger
BowieStone
Munichhilton
Wait, there was a hill?

When was this pic taken?? I'd guess around the time of before Altamont.

Yes, California 1969.
Picture by Ethan Russell.

Posted by: Roll73 ()
Date: June 6, 2013 16:10

BowieStone
Munichhilton
Wait, there was a hill?

Only Keith Richards could make an aran sweater look so cool.

Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: June 6, 2013 16:22

drbryant

thumbs up

Posted by: RobertJohnson ()
Date: June 6, 2013 16:32

DandelionPowderman
RobertJohnson

It's just as much Vegas when Taylor joins as well? It's not like the whole band transforms into 1972 again just as soon he set foot on stage, is it?

I don't think that the impact of Vegas act depends on the presence or absence of my favorite guitar player Mick Taylor. It is a matter of attitude to remain in the comfort zone and to loose all musical creativity. I think that the rejoining of MT and his genius compensate the modest guitar skills of (especially) Keith and Ronnie nowadays in the few tracks he is on stage. Of course The Stones don't become at once the band they were in the sixties and seventies till '82, when MT rejoins here and there for some tracks. Often MT tried to animate Ronnie or Keith for a more creative guitar play - without any success. But the genius of MT is sparkling and shining that we are all somewhat perplexed what is taking place on stage ... To be honest: If MT is on stage nowadays we have "Mick Taylor and his rhythm section formerly known as The Rolling Stones" ...

Posted by: greenriver ()
Date: June 6, 2013 16:39

It really begins at lunch and finish hours later, you know, in the small room where you are sitting with trousers on your shoes. >grinning smiley<

Posted by: sonomastone ()
Date: June 6, 2013 17:35

It began with Goats Head Soup. Not that it's a terrible album but it was a significant drop off in quality of their studio works and not a wrong turn like satanic majesties but rather step one in the general trend of the stones imitating themselves rather than legitimately creating new music. The live shows quickly followed suit in dropping off.

The decline was slow until the 81 tour (as someone mentioned previously - mick jagger and the stones, the crane, the football outfit) and then we know what happened.

Some Girls was an aberration due to punk and disco stimulating their juices enough to try new directions but unfortunately the success of start me up led them to believe they could stick with straight ahead rock and Keith's patented chord signature and still be relevant when in reality the single's success was an aberration due to the punk/disco hangover.

Date: June 6, 2013 18:04

Mnn

For some fans...when Brian Jones convinced himself the band was not "his" band anymore.

For others....when the golden age (I do not agree with that label: golden era) was over.

For others...when Brian Jones died

For others...when Mick Taylor left the band.

For others....when 1981&82 tour was over.

For others....when the so-called "Vegas era" began.

For others...etc, etc

In my case....when bv closes this site.

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: June 6, 2013 18:32

Posted by: sonomastone ()
Date: June 6, 2013 18:35

RobertJohnson
DandelionPowderman
RobertJohnson

I don't think that the impact of Vegas act depends on the presence or absence of my favorite guitar player Mick Taylor. It is a matter of attitude to remain in the comfort zone and to loose all musical creativity. I think that the rejoining of MT and his genius compensate the modest guitar skills of (especially) Keith and Ronnie nowadays in the few tracks he is on stage. Of course The Stones don't become at once the band they were in the sixties and seventies till '82, when MT rejoins here and there for some tracks. Often MT tried to animate Ronnie or Keith for a more creative guitar play - without any success. But the genius of MT is sparkling and shining that we are all somewhat perplexed what is taking place on stage ... To be honest: If MT is on stage nowadays we have "Mick Taylor and his rhythm section formerly known as The Rolling Stones" ...

You've posted this same opinion over and over. Are you going to keep do it until someone gets annoyed? Cause I just laugh at it

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: June 6, 2013 22:08

I listened to ABB in the car yesterday on a long drive. There are good moments in there mixed in with some nothing. Rough Justice is a classic. It Won't Take Long has some nice guitar work. She Saw Me Coming ain't half bad. This Place is Empty is a nice Keith ballad that's aging well. Dangerous Beauty and Laugh I Nearly Died aren't bad.

I even think Jones bass at the beginning of Rough Justice bubbles a little like vintage Wyman, but Bill's bass is still missing on the other songs to bring the songs up a notch. I don't think they'll ever recover that missing element in the studio. I know now that Darryl is a jazz bass player who didn't even listen to rock until around the time of Keith's Talk is Cheap in the late 80s. You can say what you want but Bill Wyman is a rock and roll bass player, steeped in 50s rock and roll. It's enough to have one jazz player in the band, Charlie. But Darryl doesn't seem to get that you have to propel the bass sound in rock and roll and give it some emotion. At least for it to be at an A level Rolling Stones song.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 3 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1942
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home