Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 2 of 5
Re: When did the downhill begin..?
Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: June 6, 2013 02:09

Max'sKansasCity
When does the downhill begin..?

Generally when some fans hit 29-42 years old and/or after their 10th show and/or combined with looking through the microscope and overanalyzing it too many times and/or taking it all too seriously. Its Only Rock and Roll.

Rubbish, of course. Personally, I wish every single Stones recording was as good as every other. It's simply not the case, just as it isn't with Dylan or a bunch of other brilliant seasoned writers and performers. As much as it must be great fun to not make any critical distinctions about artists we like, the fact is quality varies. In the Stones case, the level of Jagger-Richards sonwriting - great as it was - could not be maintained indefinitely. In fact, they really stopped functioning as a songwriting unit. It doesn't take any "overanalyzing" to see this, only a set of ears.

There are other acts I have seen far more than 10 times (Elvis Costello, for example, who I am seeing three times this week), who manage to stay at the top of their game as performers or even improve. I wish it was true of the Stones as well, I just don't think it is. Doesn't mean I don't have a great time seeing them - I do - just that I don't have to pretend they are at their peak, or get angry with people who have a different view than I do.

Posted by: nomis ()
Date: June 6, 2013 02:19

seitan
I thought "Come On" was kinda OK, it was downhill from there on...>grinning smiley<

Tell Me was pretty good too.

Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: June 6, 2013 02:23

71Tele

Rubbish, of course. Personally, I wish every single Stones recording was as good as every other. It's simply not the case, just as it isn't with Dylan or a bunch of other brilliant seasoned writers and performers. As much as it must be great fun to not make any critical distinctions about artists we like, the fact is quality varies. In the Stones case, the level of Jagger-Richards sonwriting - great as it was - could not be maintained indefinitely. In fact, they really stopped functioning as a songwriting unit. It doesn't take any "overanalyzing" to see this, only a set of ears.

There are other acts I have seen far more than 10 times (Elvis Costello, for example, who I am seeing three times this week), who manage to stay at the top of their game as performers or even improve. I wish it was true of the Stones as well, I just don't think it is. Doesn't mean I don't have a great time seeing them - I do - just that I don't have to pretend they are at their peak, or get angry with people who have a different view than I do.

Rubbish, of course

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: June 6, 2013 02:24

nomis
seitan
I thought "Come On" was kinda OK, it was downhill from there on...>grinning smiley<

Tell Me was pretty good too.

Bit too Taylor Swift-esque though noh!?

Date: June 6, 2013 02:33

Max'sKansasCity
71Tele

Rubbish, of course

You say those of us who make critical distinctions between different Stones records, performances, etc. must be old, have seen them too many times, and start overanalyzing things. Since you have no direct knowledge of this, have no evidence to support it, and don't know us personally, your theory is purely speculative.

In fact, because you are so thin-skinned and simply can't accept any comments about the Stones that offend your "it's all equally great" sensibilities, you must invent reasons for other people to feel differently than you do (rather than simply accept that they have come to different conclusions). In fact, this is the the whole history of your problems on this site - your inability to tolerate any criticism of the Stones (or anything else you like). It's fine for you to think ABB is as good as Sticky Fingers or the Stones never, ever put on a spotty performance. Great. It's just that the people who don't feel that way have come by their opinions honestly, a fact that you simply do not seem to be able to accept. Too bad, because people are going to continue to post things you don't agree with.

So, I would say the only person doing any overanalyzing is you.

Date: June 6, 2013 02:34

71Tele
Max'sKansasCity
71Tele

Rubbish, of course

You say those of us who make critical distinctions between different Stones records, performances, etc. must be old, have seen them too many times, and start overanalyzing things. Since you have no direct knowledge of this, have no evidence to support it, and don't know us personally, your theory is purely speculative.

In fact, because you are so thin-skinned and simply can't accept any comments about the Stones that offend your "it's all equally great" sensibilities, you must invent reasons for other people to feel differently than you do (rather than simply accept that they have come to different conclusions). In fact, this is the the whole history of your problems on this site - your inability to tolerate any criticism of the Stones (or anything else you like). It's fine for you to think ABB is as good as Sticky Fingers or the Stones never, ever put on a spotty performance. Great. It's just that the people who don't feel that way have come by their opinions honestly, a fact that you simply do not seem to be able to accept. Too bad, because people are going to continue to post things you don't agree with.

So, I would say the only person doing any overanalyzing is you.

And more Rubbish, of course.

Date: June 6, 2013 02:34

We're gonna have to call for an extra pick up of the rubbish this week.... DAMN IT!

Date: June 6, 2013 02:39

Max'sKansasCity
We're gonna have to call for an extra pick up of the rubbish this week.... DAMN IT!

Yes, but for different reasons than you think. smoking smiley

Hey Max, all arguing aside, did you catch the Chicago show? Hope you got to see them.

Date: June 6, 2013 02:40

71Tele
Max'sKansasCity

Hey Max, all arguing aside, did you catch the Chicago show? Hope you got to see them.
Nope

Date: June 6, 2013 02:46

Max'sKansasCity
71Tele
Max'sKansasCity

Nope

Damn, I thought you were going to Chi-town. Sorry you didn't get to make it. Had I known the "friend" I took to the Oakland show would have been so ungrateful I would have given you the ticket.

Date: June 6, 2013 02:47

71Tele
Max'sKansasCity
71Tele
Max'sKansasCity

Nope

Damn, I thought you were going to Chi-town. Sorry you didn't get to make it. Had I known the "friend" I took to the Oakland show would have been so ungrateful I would have given you the ticket.

Thank you, I appreciate that, but it involved more than needing a ticket.

Date: June 6, 2013 02:49

Max'sKansasCity
71Tele
Max'sKansasCity
71Tele
Max'sKansasCity

Nope

Thank you, I appreciate that, but it involved more than needing a ticket.

I know, travel is expensive too. Unfortunately Oakland is the closest they came to where I live.

Posted by: DoomandGloom ()
Date: June 6, 2013 02:59

loog droog
Shott
Dancing with Mr. D.

Yep.

From Soul Survivor to this dreck was a big step off a very high cliff..
Yes that's about right.

Posted by: Bungo ()
Date: June 6, 2013 03:09

Hey now! I happen to LOVE "Dancing With Mr D". I wish they'd put it in the set. It was a smash hit single back in the day. They ignore lots of their old hits yet cling like junkies to crap like You Got Me Rocking. No sense to it I tell ya.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-06-06 03:19 by Bungo.

Date: June 6, 2013 03:14

GREAT SONG!

Date: June 6, 2013 03:16

I WAS DANCIN DANCIN DANCIN...... WITH MR D!

Posted by: jazzbass ()
Date: June 6, 2013 03:23

Max'sKansasCity
GREAT SONG!

Is Keith playing a white SG? Don't believe I've seen him playing this guitar before.

Posted by: JamesPhelge00 ()
Date: June 6, 2013 03:24

When did the downhill begin..?

June 16 1963 - when the original Crawdaddy closed.

Posted by: Bungo ()
Date: June 6, 2013 03:26

Who among us has not Danced with Mr D now and again? winking smiley

I think Mick should break out that gold stripper outfit again in commemoration of their 50th.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-06-06 03:28 by Bungo.

Date: June 6, 2013 03:29

jazzbass
Max'sKansasCity
GREAT SONG!

Is Keith playing a white SG? Don't believe I've seen him playing this guitar before.

Thank you search engine that begins with a G.

Date: June 6, 2013 03:33

jazzbass

Good eye, COOL guitar! Triple humbucker badass

Date: June 6, 2013 03:36

Bungo
Who among us has not Danced with Mr D now and again? winking smiley

I think Mick should break out that gold stripper outfit again in commemoration of their 50th.

They should make Taylor wear that hat too!

Date: June 6, 2013 03:36

Max'sKansasCity
jazzbass

Wyman on the EB0 (EB3?) "SG" bass too. Now I wonder what gig they're playing in the above pic, outdoors, in the woods?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-06-06 03:38 by jazzbass.

Posted by: duffydawg ()
Date: June 6, 2013 03:37

I actually have the answer:

December 1974.

Date: June 6, 2013 03:38

duffydawg
I actually have the answer:

December 1974.

Where?

Date: June 6, 2013 03:39

jazzbass
Max'sKansasCity
jazzbass

Wyman on the EB0 (EB3?) "SG" bass too. Now I wonder what gig they're playing in the above pic, outdoors, in the woods?

Id bet a buck that someone here will know that answer, if they will answer.

Date: June 6, 2013 03:48

and btw- Has anyone seen Jagger singing live recently?
Downhill schmownhill..... The man is timeless.

Posted by: RockinJive ()
Date: June 6, 2013 03:52

Max'sKansasCity

The man can do no wrong live IMO.

Date: June 6, 2013 04:06

RockinJive
Max'sKansasCity

The man can do no wrong live IMO.
thumbs up
Of course I ve only seen video footage, so far, on this tour, but Jagger seems like he is in 1969 shape.

Downhill SCHMownhill

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2013-06-06 04:13 by Max'sKansasCity.

Posted by: RockinJive ()
Date: June 6, 2013 04:24

Mick should be an inspiration to all of us in some way. Musically, physically, business man, also he is very intelligent. Gone downhill? Mick is 18 years older than me. I couldn't keep up after 5 min.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-06-06 04:24 by RockinJive.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 2 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1168
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home