Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Dirty Work
Posted by: Mickjagg65 ()
Date: March 15, 2005 16:48

Sorry but i had to weigh in on this myself. I have refrained from listining to this album because of all the bad press it gets, but i took the dive yesterday, hoping to be presently surprised. I love Goats head, Its only rocknroll, and black and blue, which readily get panned, so i was hoping to like this one, i have to say it is the worst stones album i've ever heard (still havent listened to emotional rescue, undercover, and steel wheels.) But seriously, they sound like Flock of Segals, with mick on vocal. There are songs on here that wouldnt make the karate Kid soundtrack. People knock them for trying to sound like the times with voodoo and b2b but i think those albums have some real good work on them. There is not one song on this album that i ever want to hear again, and i am usually a stones apologist, i love ronnie, warhorses and posing, but dirty work sucks.

Then I said Hi, like a spider to a fly...

Re: Dirty Work
Posted by: Potted Shrimp ()
Date: March 15, 2005 16:52

Deidre might disagree........

Posted by: KSIE ()
Date: March 15, 2005 17:16

Mickjagg65 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
>(still havent listened to emotional rescue, undercover,
> and steel wheels.)

You have some really unpleasant suprises ahead. I think you'll find Undercover to be a lot more like Flock of Seagulls than Dirty Work.

Like Deidre, I'm a big defender of Dirty Work. (There are a couple of us) It has two lame cuts-Winning Ugly and Back to Zero. The rest is lean, mean, "dirty" rock n roll. The guitar playing is excellent. Ron Wood's brightest moment with the Stones.

I don't know if anyone else admires Robert Christgau, but he is a leading rock critic opinions since the 70s, and has published a couple of very good "Record Guides". He loved Dirty Work:

[www.robertchristgau.com]

Posted by: Cafaro ()
Date: March 15, 2005 17:41

I love Dirty Work. Outside of the production qualities, I see it a one of the shining stars of the 80s-90s Stones. Hardcore, nasty, mean. Good ole Stones. None of this "SLippin Away" and "Out of Tears" whining ( I do like both of those songs).

Winning Ugly and BTZ are the 2 low points. The rest of this disc kicks. I mean, Fight has some of Keith's best guitar work since Brown Sugar.

Keith of course is completely straight

Posted by: Greg ()
Date: March 15, 2005 18:19

If this doesn't get Deidre out of her Lent-shed, I don't know what will! ...

----------------------------
"Music is the frozen tapioca in the ice chest of history."

"Shit!... No shit, awright!"

Posted by: john r ()
Date: March 15, 2005 19:49

Flock of Seagulls??? DW is a killer album, hard, funky, angry, unsentimental & Jagger never lets himself off the hook. And the guitars are killer. Only minor production complaints, like I wish Charlie drummed on Sleep & it was more minimal. Despite the band fractiousness (or because of it), a very focused, mature Stones album that rewards repeat listens. I like most of Undercover, which has terrific (afrobeat, dub, etc influences) moments unlike anything else in their body of work but DW was a big step forward & overall holds up great

Not Dierdre

Posted by: Fansince1964 ()
Date: March 15, 2005 21:25

The Dirty Work album contains only one song that can be measured as a great Stones song. That is One hit (to the body). This is the only one that were written by themselves. Another great song is Harlem Shuffle, but then again their great doing these covers.

The rest of the album is so boring that I fall asleep while listening to it.
Still it's not every band's fortune to make top album thru out a soon 45 year career.

Let's hope for the new one and them getting back to BB roots again. 4 minute songs just put down on tape and then no hustling at the mixer board.

HJofSweden

Posted by: Mickjagg65 ()
Date: March 15, 2005 21:50

I dont know, i guess i'll give it another listen, one question. the linear notes credit jimmy page, does he play on this?

Then I said Hi, like a spider to a fly...

Posted by: KSIE ()
Date: March 15, 2005 22:00

Mickjagg65 Wrote:
the linear notes credit jimmy page,
> does he play on this?

Yes, I think that's his solo on One Hit to the Body

'Don’t forget, if you’re on your bike, wear white'

Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: March 15, 2005 22:09

Page is playing the solo on One Hit, although obviously Keith is shown playing it in the actual video.
I'm not a huge fan of this album although it does have a couple of okay tracks.

Posted by: Cafaro ()
Date: March 15, 2005 22:21

Heloo Fansince1964.....I doubt they will do anything close to BB, especially based on Potted Shrimp's post yesterday.

Posted by: Meise ()
Date: March 15, 2005 23:43

Listen to it a couple of times - it's getting better - believe me! It's not one of their best albums but it's tough and much better than Undercover or Emotional Rescue.

Posted by: Hound Dog ()
Date: March 15, 2005 23:48

Agreed, I find it better than Undercover and Emotional Rescue, maybe even Steel Wheels as well. Has some good songs on there but also a few weak ones. Don't think it is nearly as good as Voodoo Loundge however.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1721
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home