Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...23456789101112...LastNext
Current Page: 7 of 20
Re: Chicago-3 June 3 Stones show live updates
Posted by: sonomastone ()
Date: June 4, 2013 01:24

fahthree
I don't care that Taylor Swift is the guest tonight. Why are we all feigning outrage? We've seen this already -- Lady GaGa, Carrie Underwood, Katy Perry, Gwen Stefani. She's no different than the rest. This couldn't have caught any of us by surprise. We can get through this....

Maybe it is Mick's way of celebrating 50 years of working out his personal issues with women in the public eye.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-06-04 01:25 by sonomastone.

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: June 4, 2013 01:25

fahthree
I don't care that Taylor Swift is the guest tonight. Why are we all feigning outrage? We've seen this already -- Lady GaGa, Carrie Underwood, Katy Perry, Gwen Stefani. She's no different than the rest. This couldn't have caught any of us by surprise. We can get through this....

we've had enough practice so that feigning isn't allowed anymore? yeah, ok. what's your policy on the whole "being embarrassed" business? i don't think it's a feigning deal...

Re: When does this get embarassing?
Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: June 4, 2013 01:26

I think there's noting wrong inviting new/young artists two of my kids love Taylor Swift....and looking forward too see it.....
And marketing wise is not a bad idea either........

Posted by: Bobby4 ()
Date: June 4, 2013 01:31

I've seen the Stones invoke the spirit of Muddy Waters in 30 degree temps, sang along to YCAGWYW with 60,000 in '05 and in '94 heard "Street Fighting Man" a mile away from where the riots occurred in 1968. My wife tells me of the legendary shows they played at the Arie Crown Theater in the mid-60's.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that for every mistake, and I think having Taylor Swift as special guest is a mistake at what may be their last major Chicago performance, they've made many more good decisions and should be judged by their total legacy not just this one thing.

Bobby

Re: When does this get embarassing?
Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: June 4, 2013 01:34

NICOS
I think there's noting wrong inviting new/young artists two of my kids love Taylor Swift....and looking forward too see it.....
And marketing wise is not a bad idea either........

The Stones are an old men's thing Nicos.

Posted by: lazzzybones ()
Date: June 4, 2013 01:36

Dont go then.Simple.

Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: June 4, 2013 01:37

Looking forward to singing with @taylorswift13 tonight! Wonder which song we will do?

@MickJagger

Date: June 4, 2013 01:37

Bobby4
I've seen the Stones invoke the spirit of Muddy Waters in 30 degree temps, sang along to YCAGWYW with 60,000 in '05 and in '94 heard "Street Fighting Man" a mile away from where the riots occurred in 1968. My wife tells me of the legendary shows they played at the Arie Crown Theater in the mid-60's.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that for every mistake, and I think having Taylor Swift as special guest is a mistake at what may be their last major Chicago performance, they've made many more good decisions and should be judged by their total legacy not just this one thing.

Bobby

Indeed. That's why we - or at least I - went to a show and am paying attention. But it's still embarrassing. Kind of like having an elderly grandfather who was a war hero and now gets drunk at family functions and acts foolishly. You can respect and honor him while still regretting his behavior. Shame that they are doing this on a tour where the musicians are taking the music seriously though vs some of the recent past tours.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-06-04 01:38 by sonomastone.

Posted by: Midnight Toker ()
Date: June 4, 2013 01:41

Awful idea. OOOF!

Posted by: Big Ed ()
Date: June 4, 2013 02:05

Lets just enjoy the moment. I trust in Our Boys, hey it's their show.
What this really shows is that lthe new artist of our times respects the
Stones so much that they all want to have that chance to preform with the,
Hey she could have declined but she did not, Respectabile would be the
Correct song to do............

Lighten up whoops
Start Me Up

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-06-04 02:09 by Big Ed.

Posted by: Rolling Hansie ()
Date: June 4, 2013 02:11

I LOVE THE ROLLING STONES
Just has to be said every now and then

-------------------
Keep On Rolling smoking smiley

Posted by: Wuudy ()
Date: June 4, 2013 02:14

You can say what you want about Taylor Swift, Kate Perry or Lady Gaga but they all can sing and to me that's what counts!

Cheers,
Wuudy

Posted by: fahthree ()
Date: June 4, 2013 02:16

StonesTod
fahthree

we've had enough practice so that feigning isn't allowed anymore? yeah, ok. what's your policy on the whole "being embarrassed" business? i don't think it's a feigning deal...

If one is embarrassed that the Stones are playing with these artists I think they have issues. I don't like the idea of the guests but I'm not going to shit on these artists because I don't like their music. If I did, that would make me no better than Dean Martin rolling his eyes on Hollywood Palace, or anyone else who bad-mouthed the Stones at the beginning of their career.

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: June 4, 2013 02:18

Rolling Hansie
I LOVE THE ROLLING STONES
Just has to be said every now and then

Best post ever.

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: June 4, 2013 02:20

fahthree
StonesTod
fahthree

If one is embarrassed that the Stones are playing with these artists I think they have issues. I don't like the idea of the guests but I'm not going to shit on these artists because I don't like their music. If I did, that would make me no better than Dean Martin rolling his eyes on Hollywood Palace, or anyone else who bad-mouthed the Stones at the beginning of their career.

no shitting on Dean Martin! he was the best!

Date: June 4, 2013 02:23

fahthree
StonesTod
fahthree

it doesn't, for me, have anything to do with liking or not liking the guest's music. it's the idea that in their 50th anniversary tour instead of say inviting a chicago bluesman who had a lot to do with the entire career of the stones to join them on stage, instead they invite someone who had very little (or nothing) to do with their career in what appears to be a crass attempt to grab headlines and publicity.

having said all that, there are bunch of people going to the show tonight, and i know they will have a blast, the stones are playing great.

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: June 4, 2013 02:25

fahthree

Ironically, most of these singing artist guests Mick has invited on stage with him would have fit more comfortably on the old Dean Martin show than did The Stones.

Posted by: fahthree ()
Date: June 4, 2013 02:29

stonehearted
fahthree

Ironically, most of these singing artist guests Mick has invited on stage with him would have fit more comfortably on the old Dean Martin show than did The Stones.

It speaks volumes for the sad state of music today but that's a thread all its own.

Posted by: Woz ()
Date: June 4, 2013 02:30

Lets see, her song writing talent has been praised by the likes of Neil Young, Stephen Stills, James Taylor and Stevie Nicks. Steve Tyler praises Swift as being "beyond talented." She is commercially quite successful......her primary sin seems to be that hse is young and therefore deemed somehow irreleavnt? LOL, you guys craxk me up. I'm going with MJ on this guest....

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-06-04 02:40 by Woz.

Posted by: JaIsNotDead ()
Date: June 4, 2013 02:38

some of T Swift's stuff is pretty good. Have her haters here actually listened to any of her music??

Date: June 4, 2013 02:39

It makes for much more interesting pre-show banter than whether or not sway will be played, I grant you that :-)

Date: June 4, 2013 02:41

LOL, good point.

Posted by: stonesrule ()
Date: June 4, 2013 02:45

Taylor Swift will sell tickets to her devoted young female audience.

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: June 4, 2013 02:49

From Rolling Stone:

The Rolling Stones
As always, the Stones are doing a greatest-hits playlist, including "Paint It Black, "Gimme Shelter" and "Jumpin' Jack Flash," although they've been playing "Emotional Rescue" on this tour for the first time and recently added "Sway" with old friend Mick Taylor on guitar. Show up for the surprise guests – Katy Perry and Dave Grohl, among others, so far – and because it might be your last chance to see them live."

The band "The Rolling Stones", is a (thriving) business.
Has been for many decades.

These "popular" artists that they've incorporated into their live shows for
decades has helped broaden their fan base and sell records.

The same can be said for the artists who "guest".
( I think more of Katy Perry now, for example)

It's called music "business" for a reason.

I for one am THRILLED that they still do what they do. Musically and business wise.Keep building the fan base. As far as I can see they are touring this time like it's NOT the last time, but rather like business as usual and what's there
to complain about THAT??

Posted by: flacnvinyl ()
Date: June 4, 2013 02:50

JaIsNotDead
some of T Swift's stuff is pretty good. Have her haters here actually listened to any of her music??

Yes, and it is not HER music. It is over-produced Nash-Vegas pop garbage. They do this every year... find a pretty face who can sing, buy songs for her to record vocals on, market it. Done.

Disposable pop.

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: June 4, 2013 02:50

stonesrule
Taylor Swift will sell tickets to her devoted young female audience.

And they are fiercely devoted, which is sweet, if you know teen girls. But, that little heart thing she does with her hands does make me gag.

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: June 4, 2013 02:56

Never heard anyone complaining about Marianne Faithful as guest on Rock and Roll Circus...............

Date: June 4, 2013 02:58

NICOS
Never heard anyone complaining about Marianne Faithful as guest on Rock and Roll Circus...............

Well if you're going to go there then you gotta throw in Yoko at the Circus too... :-)

Posted by: Alfonz ()
Date: June 4, 2013 02:59

I wonder if people have listened to her music as well. I know I haven't really apart from a few snippets here and there, but I'm not bagging her.

Her last album has a critics average of 77% on Metacritic. Not that such a thing is gospel, but it would basically indicate she is OK. Her current tour seems to be getting rave reviews. So she fits into the pop genre, not rock n roll. At least give her a chance.

The strange thing is, because of the outrage, I'm actually now really looking forward to see what she will do tonight. Maybe they might even let her strum a guitar. What about the country-tinged and simple chords of Dead Flowers, primed for a twin-Taylor attack?

Date: June 4, 2013 03:01

flacnvinyl
JaIsNotDead

Yes, and it is not HER music. It is over-produced Nash-Vegas pop garbage. They do this every year... find a pretty face who can sing, buy songs for her to record vocals on, market it. Done.

Disposable pop.

She actually writes most of her own material. I know what you mean about Nashville, but she ain't that, she is a legitimate talent in her own right.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2013-06-04 03:02 by Woz.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...23456789101112...LastNext
Current Page: 7 of 20

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2118
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home