Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4
Re: at there peek , who was better live, stones, zep, or the who
Posted by: dcba ()
Date: August 21, 2013 23:19

The Who were hacks so they never changed much (= hammering the audience with a P.A. cranked up to the max) & LZ struggled very hard to put on a decent show after 1973 so I'd say the Stones are #1.

Plus unlike the other two bands, they always managed to really reinvent themselves : 69 was very different from 67, 76 was (alas) very different from 73, 82 was very different from 76, 81 was very different from 78 etc etc.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2013-08-21 23:44 by dcba.

Posted by: michel ()
Date: August 21, 2013 23:40

The Stones ofcourse

Posted by: straycatuk ()
Date: August 21, 2013 23:50

As a lifelong Stones fan,I'd have to say, on a good night, 69 to 76....................THE WHO.

sc uk

Posted by: ash ()
Date: August 22, 2013 00:22

NICOS
Them.

Nicos did you really see Them ? Count me jealous.
I do really like The Who and i bet on a good night they were unbeatable. The fact that occasionally one of the others would sing and they had some kind of backing vocals probably swings it for me. Spot the Beatle fan eh..
However there is a point somewhere where @#$%& brilliant is just @#$%& brilliant.
I've seen Miles Davis, Brian Wilson play Smile (several times), Keith Jarrett trio improvise, Stones (amazing Midnight Rambler),MJQ and many others that i simply can't compare with each other...they were so brilliant for so many different reasons that comparison is futile.
Not a Zep fan but again, i bet they were awesome 69/70 ish.
That's not very helpful is it ?

Posted by: jamesfdouglas ()
Date: August 22, 2013 00:31

Their. THEIR peak.
Not there.
Not they're.
Their.

[thepowergoats.com]

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: August 22, 2013 00:35

ash

I've seen Miles Davis, Brian Wilson play Smile (several times), Keith Jarrett trio improvise, Stones (amazing Midnight Rambler),MJQ and many others that i simply can't compare with each other...they were so brilliant for so many different reasons that comparison is futile.
Not a Zep fan but again, i bet they were awesome 69/70 ish.
That's not very helpful is it ?

Very helpful answer, it's the question that's not helpful. winking smiley As you said, comparison is futile. Such different bands.

Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: August 22, 2013 00:38

How many here got to see all three? Seen the Stones the last 6 times in Vancouver, The Who in 89 and mid 90's in Vancouver and Plant/ Page a while back so kind of seem them all but not like it would have been back in the 70's.

Posted by: DoomandGloom ()
Date: August 22, 2013 00:46

Saw Zep a few times between 75 and 77. Saw The Stones for Some Girls and The Who for "By The Numbers." All were great but it's not even close. Even the "Who Are You" tour with Kenny Jones was mindblowing. The Who's show marched forward as the energy and playing got more intense with each song played. They had it all and respected the audience which Zep did not...

Posted by: ROPENI ()
Date: August 22, 2013 00:49

75,76..Bruce Springsteen and The E street Band.....

"No dope smoking no beer sold after 12 o'clock"

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: August 22, 2013 00:49

Hillary & Norgay ...............

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: August 22, 2013 01:16

DGA35
How many here got to see all three? Seen the Stones the last 6 times in Vancouver, The Who in 89 and mid 90's in Vancouver and Plant/ Page a while back so kind of seem them all but not like it would have been back in the 70's.

Again, this is kinda the point. Who's in a position to judge who was the best band (and decide what period was actually their peak)? Not me--I first saw the Stones and Zep in the 60s, but the Who not until the Kenney Jones era (and they were never my favorite band, although I liked them, so obviously I'm biased anyway).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-08-22 01:17 by Aquamarine.

Posted by: ab ()
Date: August 22, 2013 05:57

The Who between 1968 and 1972 were as good as live rock 'n roll gets.

Date: August 22, 2013 07:14

dcba
The Who were hacks so they never changed much (= hammering the audience with a P.A. cranked up to the max) & LZ struggled very hard to put on a decent show after 1973 so I'd say the Stones are #1.

Plus unlike the other two bands, they always managed to really reinvent themselves : 69 was very different from 67, 76 was (alas) very different from 73, 82 was very different from 76, 81 was very different from 78 etc etc.

i didn't know you thought "behind blue eyes", "the kids are alright", "eminence front", "won't get fooled again", and "who are you" all sound like the same song. didn't the who reinvent themselves several times? i seem to recall the bands sound and the members looks changed a lot from 1964-1984

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: August 22, 2013 08:24

1/ Rolling Stones 1962-1978
2/ The Who 1964-1978
3/ Led Zeppelin 1969-1980

in that order....

2 1 2 0

Posted by: No Expectations ()
Date: August 22, 2013 09:25

The Grateful Dead

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: August 22, 2013 09:41

The Stones at Wembley 73 - no one ever topped that performance. But my favourite all round gig I went to is still The Flamin' Groovies supported by The Ramones and The Strangler at the Roundhouse in 76 - the gig that kicked punk off over here in the UK.

Posted by: Wroclaw ()
Date: August 22, 2013 09:47

The Who at 1969-70 were the ultimate greatest live act around. Not long after 1970 Keith Moon started weakening, something that effected their unique live act. I can put any of their fairly descent recorded concert of 1969-70 in the playlist and listen to it from start to end, enjoying any minute. No other band can get me to feel that. Not even the Stones with their 1972 STP gigs.

Re: OT: Roger Daltrey underratted
Posted by: owlbynite ()
Date: August 26, 2013 11:16

On what planet is Roger Daltrey underrated? Not the one I live on. Geez, he had the package, voice, stage presence, looks. Will never forget him prancing onstage with his flowing blonde locks like a Rock God and the bru-ha-ha about him playing lead in Tommy The Rock Opera. Got that double album for some teenage birthday & about wore it out. Live long, sing & prosper, Roger! You've given us rock fans decades of fun! smileys with beer

Re: roger daltry underratted
Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: August 26, 2013 17:12

triceratops
dgodkin
from 70 to 76 i think the who were the best live band maybe ever,townsend, moon,and entwistle were great, but daltrey gave it the fire,

Just as an aside-- Roger Daltry is in better shape than Mick Jagger [davedraper.com] And his age shows less.

That's just daft. Roger's fatter, which is why his wrinkles don't show.

Date: August 26, 2013 17:45

treaclefingers
triceratops
dgodkin
from 70 to 76 i think the who were the best live band maybe ever,townsend, moon,and entwistle were great, but daltrey gave it the fire,

Just as an aside-- Roger Daltry is in better shape than Mick Jagger [davedraper.com] And his age shows less.

thats not true at all

Date: August 29, 2013 08:57

keefriffhard4life
treaclefingers
triceratops
dgodkin

thats not true at all

it is true at all.

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: August 29, 2013 09:25

treaclefingers
keefriffhard4life
treaclefingers
triceratops
dgodkin

thats not true at all

it is true at all.

Date: August 29, 2013 09:33

treaclefingers
keefriffhard4life
treaclefingers
triceratops
dgodkin

thats not true at all

it is true at all.

daltery looks fatter because of his years of weight lifting. he is in top shape and can outlift jagger any day of the week.

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: August 29, 2013 10:21

I don't know of any better singer for The Who so why is he underrated?

2 1 2 0

Posted by: Happy Jack ()
Date: August 29, 2013 17:01

owlbynite
On what planet is Roger Daltrey underrated? Not the one I live on. Geez, he had the package, voice, stage presence, looks. Will never forget him prancing onstage with his flowing blonde locks like a Rock God and the bru-ha-ha about him playing lead in Tommy The Rock Opera. Got that double album for some teenage birthday & about wore it out. Live long, sing & prosper, Roger! You've given us rock fans decades of fun! smileys with beer

When you look at the polls rating best lead singers, Daltrey is almost never in the top 10. Most overated lead singer ever: Robert Plant, a Daltrey wannabe but with less talent and (much) less masculinity.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-08-29 17:03 by Happy Jack.

Posted by: Keef1966 ()
Date: August 29, 2013 21:47

The Who at the Isle Of Wight & Gimme Shelter are my 2 favorite rock movies. at .54 seconds into see me his voice is amazing. Sends shivers down my spine eveytime.

Posted by: gimmelittledrink ()
Date: August 29, 2013 21:53

Once he cut his hair, it was all over. Great before then, though.

Date: August 29, 2013 22:07

keefriffhard4life
treaclefingers
keefriffhard4life
treaclefingers
triceratops
dgodkin

thats not true at all

it is true at all.

daltery looks fatter because of his years of weight lifting. he is in top shape and can outlift jagger any day of the week.

daltery looks fatter because of his years of pie lifting. he is in tough shape and can outeat jagger any day of the week.

Posted by: reg thorpe ()
Date: August 29, 2013 22:18

treaclefingers
keefriffhard4life
treaclefingers
keefriffhard4life
treaclefingers
triceratops
dgodkin

thats not true at all

it is true at all.

daltery looks fatter because of his years of pie lifting. he is in tough shape and can outeat jagger any day of the week.

Let's see what you look like at 70 years of age....give the guy some credit

Posted by: MILKYWAY ()
Date: August 29, 2013 22:39

No Expectations
The Grateful Dead

+1. I wish I had been around to experience any of the Wall of Sound shows.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1949
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home