Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT - Lou Reed's liver transplant
Posted by: hbwriter ()
Date: June 1, 2013 08:00

Re: OT - Lou Reed's liver transplant
Posted by: deadegad ()
Date: June 1, 2013 08:10

Get well Lou. You are in my prayers.

Posted by: champ72 ()
Date: June 1, 2013 08:28

Had no idea, get well Uncle Lou you are in my thoughts

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: June 1, 2013 08:43

I wonder if this has anything to do with the cancelled US shows he's had since December. Get well, there aren't many like him still around.

Posted by: ab ()
Date: June 1, 2013 09:00

He's been clean and sober for more than 30 years, and he still needs a new liver. Wow.

Posted by: mickjerome ()
Date: June 1, 2013 11:05

He's got a rock n roll heart!!!

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: June 1, 2013 11:27

-

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-06-01 11:47 by dcba.

Posted by: owlbynite ()
Date: June 1, 2013 11:41

wish him all the best...thumbs up

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: June 1, 2013 11:46

ab
He's been clean and sober for more than 30 years, and he still needs a new liver. Wow.

Well, last year he opened a photo exhibition in Amsterdam and he was drunk as hell, and coked up to the brim.

Mathijs

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: June 1, 2013 11:50

Mathijs

Well, last year he opened a photo exhibition in Amsterdam and he was drunk as hell, and coked up to the brim.

Mathijs

Okay now I understand the "Lulu" debacle better...

Lou : "Hey Lars (snif) what do you think of the album?"
Lars Ulrich : " (snif) I think it's greaaaat!!!! (snif) Want another 8-ball, Lou?"

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: June 1, 2013 16:28

mickjerome
He's got a rock n roll heart!!!

thumbs up

Date: June 1, 2013 17:58

Mathijs
ab

Mathijs

Thanks for the correction. He had been on the wagon for decades, though, and wrote about sobriety in detail on his '80s records, e.g., The Last Shot.

Posted by: Long John Stoner ()
Date: June 1, 2013 18:01

I had no idea he was married to Laurie Anderson.

I'm not proud to say I'm no stranger to coke, but that was in my 20's when I was a moron when it came to those types of things. I'm 55 now, and I cannot imagine nearing 70 years of age and doing lines. It would be like asking, no, demanding to have a heart attack. Pure idiocy, and well, it could lead to a liver transplant too.

Glad to hear he's recovering, though.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-06-01 18:02 by Long John Stoner.

Posted by: BILLPERKS ()
Date: June 1, 2013 19:01

HEP C, PROBABLY.THE RECOVERING NEEDLE USERS NIGHTMARE.

Posted by: Floorbird ()
Date: June 1, 2013 19:17

Get well soon Lou, I'm a big fan of yours since the Velvet days.
Take care of yourself and get plenty of rest.

Date: June 1, 2013 20:44

Mathijs...are you sure Reed was using again? If so that is really a shame.

Posted by: Bungo ()
Date: June 1, 2013 20:48

Mathijs
ab

Mathijs

Are you SERIOUS? Actually it's probably amazing that he's even still alive. I think he was on the "Next 10 Rock Stars To Die" list for several years running, along with Keith.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-06-01 20:49 by Bungo.

Posted by: TeddyB1018 ()
Date: June 1, 2013 21:09

It sounds wrong that Lou had been using. He underwent treatment for his Hep C two years ago that didn't take and has been on meds since and in rough shape and very volatile. Perhaps that could explain his behavioral the exhibition. He is still active in sober circles.

Date: June 1, 2013 22:01

Bungo
Mathijs
ab

Mathijs

Are you SERIOUS? Actually it's probably amazing that he's even still alive. I think he was on the "Next 10 Rock Stars To Die" list for several years running, along with Keith.

That whole Lou as next-rock-star-to-die thing is so 1970s. He cleaned up after he married his second wife Sylvia in 1980 and stayed that way for a long time.

Posted by: JimmyTheSaint ()
Date: June 1, 2013 23:00

New York is an amazing record. Saw him live on the Ecstasy tour. Great show, even though he mostly played newer material.

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: June 1, 2013 23:10

I thought the thread title was going to be news of a long lost Velvets track, along the lines of Lady Godiva's Operation.

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: June 1, 2013 23:56

Strange to discover this news about Lou Reed. Despite his well-known chemical habits, he always seemed to be in good shape, even in later years, always looking youthful and muscular. Even in that 2011 photo in the Guardian article, he seems quite a bit younger than his seven decades.

A liver transplant can promise longevity, if he takes care of it. Dave Crosby has been doing well for a number of years. Papa John Phillips didn't last long post-transplant, though. Soon after getting his new liver, he called in to The Howard Stern Show--drunk. Stern jokingly asked him if he was taking that new liver out for a test drive. Phillips just laughed and slurred his way through the interview and was dead not long after.

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: June 2, 2013 13:35

sixessevensandnines

There even was a clip on local Amsterdam TV station AT5 where you could see Reed was handed an envelope with coke.

Anyway, I was there and its easy to see when somebody used just that little too much coke.

Mathijs

Posted by: svt22 ()
Date: June 2, 2013 14:47

ab
Bungo
Mathijs
ab

Mathijs

That whole Lou as next-rock-star-to-die thing is so 1970s. He cleaned up after he married his second wife Sylvia in 1980 and stayed that way for a long time.

Mathijs
sixessevensandnines

There even was a clip on local Amsterdam TV station AT5 where you could see Reed was handed an envelope with coke.

Anyway, I was there and its easy to see when somebody used just that little too much coke.

Mathijs

I must have missed that photo exhibition in 2012, the last time he opened one in Amsterdam (as far as I know) was in 2007 -see footage, and he wasn't coked up. Can you please share a link, cannot find it. He played in the Heineken hall in 2012 though.

I wish Lou all the best, a great performer, always liked his music.

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: July 1, 2013 17:15

Lou Reed has been rushed to a hospital in New York to treat "a bout of dehydration".

Details at: [wonderwall.msn.com]

and also: [www.nypost.com]

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: July 1, 2013 17:49

You better be ok Lou! Its not your time to go yet!

Also, I know its a serious story, but I did chuckle a bit when they said this happened Sunday morning. I could just see Lou sitting there like "(sigh) of course..."

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1966
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home