Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...345678910111213Next
Current Page: 11 of 13
Re: Chicago-2 May 31 Stones show live updates
Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: June 2, 2013 20:26

duffydawg

There were several statements by Keef and MJ in interviews that have been previously posted discussing MT's "Expanded role." Just search for them - they are there. I didn't make this point up.

You sure you haven't misunderstood what has been said?

Posted by: marianna ()
Date: June 2, 2013 20:42

[www.examiner.com]

From article:

Richards said during the interview with Jimmy Fallon: "I'm called to duty next week in rehearsals, which is where we kick the stuff around and try to figure out how we want to balance it out. We have the added beauty of keeping Mick Taylor with us as well. It's great. We wanted to do some more.

"And Ronnie [Wood] and I, after all, you understand, the Stones' records sometimes have four, five, maybe six guitars on them which we carefully overlay and artistically manufacture. And then we get on stage, and there's two of us [guitarists], and we have to decide which of the six guitars [we're going to play]. Mick Taylor with us as an added third guitar. Yeah, this is going to be an interesting tour all around."

Posted by: stonesrule ()
Date: June 2, 2013 20:56

triceratops, I refer, of course, to the comments you made earlier about the wives..children...girlfriends and money. You don't know what you're talking about.

Posted by: duffydawg ()
Date: June 2, 2013 21:18

marianna
[www.examiner.com]

From article:

Richards said during the interview with Jimmy Fallon: "I'm called to duty next week in rehearsals, which is where we kick the stuff around and try to figure out how we want to balance it out. We have the added beauty of keeping Mick Taylor with us as well. It's great. We wanted to do some more.

"And Ronnie [Wood] and I, after all, you understand, the Stones' records sometimes have four, five, maybe six guitars on them which we carefully overlay and artistically manufacture. And then we get on stage, and there's two of us [guitarists], and we have to decide which of the six guitars [we're going to play]. Mick Taylor with us as an added third guitar. Yeah, this is going to be an interesting tour all around."

There are a few quotes from Keith and one from Mick. In fact I believe it was published in Chicago Tribune (my hometown paper). But for some it will never be enough. Silly.

Date: June 2, 2013 21:20

marianna
[www.examiner.com]

From article:

As I´ve said before, Keith is a smart guy smiling smiley

There´s nothing in that statement that indicates that Mick Taylor would play on more numbers.

Nope, he ain´t brain dead (unbevliable that some people actually consider this to be true) eye rolling smiley

Date: June 2, 2013 21:30

duffydawg
So you don't attack the message, but attack the messenger. I have been a fan for many decades and have gone to many shows. I put down great money to see an expanded version of MT as promised and got two songs plus a sit-in with Satisfaction.

Sorry the truth hurts but it is almost universally accepted that Taylor makes the Stones better.

If you´re a fan, then why are you bashing Ronnie NOW, when he is playing splendidly? You´re sounding like a non fan of the band to me - I hope I am wong, though.

PS: You misunderstood Keith´s message. There was nothing about an expanded role there. Just that it would be good having Taylor on board, adding to which one of the "six guitars" Keith and Ronnie tried to figure out to play live. He didn´t say more song.

Posted by: roby ()
Date: June 2, 2013 21:34

DandelionPowderman

If you´re a fan, then why are you bashing Ronnie NOW, when he is playing splendidly?

grinning smiley

Posted by: roby ()
Date: June 2, 2013 21:51

SFTD, still a complete ratage. No guitar playing (Keith and Ron) for long seconds, only Chuck...

Date: June 2, 2013 21:52

DandelionPowderman
marianna
[www.examiner.com]

From article:

There´s nothing in that statement that indicates that Mick Taylor would play on more numbers.

Nope, he ain´t brain dead (unbevliable that some people actually consider this to be true) eye rolling smiley

Keith isn't smart, he's a smart-ass. Not the same thing. Why did he even bring up the subject, then? He's a jerk.

Posted by: rollingon ()
Date: June 2, 2013 22:02

roby
SFTD, still a complete ratage. No guitar playing (Keith and Ron) for long seconds, only Chuck...

Yes, it's almost painful to listen to this song played live nowadays because it really NEEDS some great lead guitar playing. If that is missing it would be better to drop that song off the setlist. And the sound of Chuck's keyboard is just terrible, I don't like that at all, especially in the song like SFTD.

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: June 2, 2013 22:08

triceratops
Mick extended himself to do "Emotioanl Rescue" so it can be done

he did WHAT? in public??

marianna
DandelionPowderman
marianna
[www.examiner.com]

From article:

Keith isn't smart, he's a smart-ass. Not the same thing. Why did he even bring up the subject, then? He's a jerk.

He's not a jerk just because you didn't get what he was saying grinning smiley

rollingon
roby

Yes, it's almost painful to listen to this song played live nowadays because it really NEEDS some great lead guitar playing. If that is missing it would be better to drop that song off the setlist. And the sound of Chuck's keyboard is just terrible, I don't like that at all, especially in the song like SFTD.

They're not going to drop a song from the set list where the singer comes out attired like Miss Diana Ross circa 1980. It's a big costume number as well as a key part of their image.

Posted by: two4fun111 ()

I think you're all wrong and all right. But I'm not paying this kind of money unless I get ALOT of Mick Taylor. After seeing them 34 times, I think I've earned that for myself. To each his own.

Date: June 2, 2013 22:09

roby

Like on the definite version on BB thumbs up

Date: June 2, 2013 22:09

rollingon
roby

It's lost it's bite and purpose, maybe let it have a wee rest. smiling smiley

Posted by: Jesse ()
Date: June 2, 2013 22:10

Many here say The Stones could do a very good rendition of the 1970s Stones with some of the Mick Taylor tunes if they wanted to. But they (MickJ?) don't want to except on CYHMK so far and one try at Sway

Mick extended himself to do "Emotioanl Rescue" so it can be done'

But WHY? Rarely if ever do great artists want to revert back to their old styles of anything, even if audiences want it. Painters change their styles (I'm an art historian), Renoir changed, so did Picasso and Michelangelo even though their earlier styles were preferred. Frank Sinatra certainly wasn't expected to always phrase his songs the way they were recorded and sound exactly the way he did when he was young -- and he didn't. Stevie Wonder sings his classics differently today too. I like that the Stones have changed. They're bluesier than ever (they always said they wanted to be the best Blues band in England.) and they're are having more fun with the audience. You really think they have something to prove at this point?

This will be my last post for a while. Yesterday I loved this thread but today I'm a little bored with the repetitive "more MT" "the Stones used to be better" talk. That was then, this is now. If you don't like 'em, don't spend money on 'em.

BEACHBREAK, I loved your post -- Amen.

I'll still read your comments about the next gigs but I hope you pay attention to what each member brings NOW -- not what they coulda or shoulda done. It's fascinating to see how they've grown in all ways and how they choose to present themselves today.

Everyone's opinions are worthwhile etc, but don't forget that you might be seeing The Greatest Rock and Roll band (yes they are!)for the last time in person. I hope we see them in one musical form or another for a long long time, but seeing them together is historic. Take what they're offering -- it sounds like a pretty good thing.

Have FUN at the shows! (If you're disappointed and don't want your tickets, sell them to someone for 1/2 price--they'll never forget it!)

My best wishes to all of you. I'd still like to buy you all a beer. smiling smiley

Date: June 2, 2013 22:10

two4fun111
I think you're all wrong and all right. But I'm not paying this kind of money unless I get ALOT of Mick Taylor. After seeing them 34 times, I think I've earned that for myself. To each his own.

Spend them on Taylor solo shows, then.

Date: June 2, 2013 22:18

Two4Fun111, listen man, the Stones ain't running no take-out restaurant and accepting orders.

THEY play what they want. No matter how many times you've seen them.

Date: June 2, 2013 22:28

Good points Jesse! thumbs up

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: June 2, 2013 23:21

stonesrule
Two4Fun111, listen man, the Stones ain't running no take-out restaurant and accepting orders.

very clever, but there is to be NO FOOD TALK here....

Posted by: duffydawg ()
Date: June 2, 2013 23:33

two4fun111

Bingo. +1

Date: June 2, 2013 23:36

duffydawg
two4fun111

Bingo. +1

Watch the solo shows

Posted by: jackdog ()
Date: June 2, 2013 23:51

Well I guess I will try to throw in on Mick Taylor deal. I think having him play on 3 songs was actually pretty close to the right balance given his absence from the Stones stage for 40 years. If you took into account the actual time Taylor was on stage Friday given that Knocking and Rambler were long jam songs and Rambler being at least 10 to 15 mins he was actually on stage including the final encore of almost 30% of the show-not bad. I agree that more is better but 3 songs that jam with 2 focus Taylor features is a nice addition to say the least.

Posted by: triceratops ()
Date: June 2, 2013 23:53

stonesrule
triceratops, I refer, of course, to the comments you made earlier about the wives..children...girlfriends and money. You don't know what you're talking about.

I am hardly jealous of them and especially of someone I know only via a new source. Point is Mick and Keith cannot possibly spend it all so their children will and hopefully there will be something leftover for the grandchildren or they might be cut in directly via trusts. Rich people leave their money via trusts so the rapacious probate lawyers don't get a 5% cut

Sure I would like to get a few tens of millions layed on me when my folks die. If Mick or Keith wants to put me in his will he is welcome to.

I also run a foundation dedicated to combatting hunger in Ulan Bator and Upper Volta, would be greatly appreciated if any of the Rolling Stones contributed a few million £

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2013-06-02 23:59 by triceratops.

Posted by: angee ()
Date: June 3, 2013 00:00

jackdog
Well I guess I will try to throw in on Mick Taylor deal. I think having him play on 3 songs was actually pretty close to the right balance given his absence from the Stones stage for 40 years. If you took into account the actual time Taylor was on stage Friday given that Knocking and Rambler were long jam songs and Rambler being at least 10 to 15 mins he was actually on stage including the final encore of almost 30% of the show-not bad. I agree that more is better but 3 songs that jam with 2 focus Taylor features is a nice addition to say the least.

Excellent point, jackdog. While it may be good to be anywhere, it was especially good to be there that night.

~"Love is Strong"~

Date: June 3, 2013 00:02

jackdog

An excellent, and very valid musical point, imo thumbs up

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: June 3, 2013 00:15

Jesse
stonehearted
Jesse
we were listening to and comparing early Stones to early Beatles music. While the group from Liverpool was sweetly singing "I Wanna Hold Your Hand," the Stones were singing "Let's Spend the Night Together...."

Actually The Beatles were ahead of The Stones by a couple of years. In addition to having started writing original songs a couple of years before, their subject matter also evolved sooner. Let's Spend The Night Together was written in 1966, but the year before Lennon & McCartney had already touched upon the theme of one-night stands with Day Tripper. Norwegian Wood was also a song about a one-nighter--and a marital infidelity at that.

Interesting...I read that Lennon said "Daytripper" was a word play and a reference to people who go on "weekend trips" aka weekend hippies who use LSD. I DO know that a "daytripper" can also refer to a one-night stand but I doubt many teen girls (or parents) in the U.S. knew that at the time.

I also read that Norwegian Wood was about Lennon's own infidelity and intentionally written to not be easily understood by the average listener (or his own wife). And that was my point: on the most basic level the early smiling, supposedly clean-cut, Beatles wrote songs that "sounded" rather innocent but the Stones and their look and lyrics were in your face. Enough, enough. Obviously you know more factoids than I do.

I look forward to tomorrow's Stones show. I hope they have a Chicago bluesman for their guest, that would please Chicagoans and it would be fun to watch them play with someone like Buddy Guy or maybe Sugar Blue (a favorite of mine).

Pax.

The Beatles did have their quietly subversive moments when it came to song lyrics. I had a thread recently on this, which you might find fun and interesting.

[www.iorr.org]

Are you in Chicago and going to see The Stones? I hope your wish for a blues guest is answered, and I'm sure it will be. After all, in the beginning they based themselves on electric Chicago blues, among other influences, and wrapping things up in Chicago without some form of blues tribute would be unlike them. I expect the third Chicago show will be extra special and memorable.

I'm in Boston and will be attending the second show, so all I'm hoping for is a bit more Mick Taylor, with, hopefully, CYHMK.smoking smiley

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: June 3, 2013 00:29

DandelionPowderman
duffydawg
two4fun111

Bingo. +1

Watch the solo shows

Its true...

Taylorites must understand the foil...

Date: June 3, 2013 00:32

triceratops, what the Stones do with their money or their wills is none of your business. Has it ever occurred to you that Mick Jagger loves his children and they love him? None of the Stones families push them to tour. Nor do their employees. These are FACTS.

I'm happy to hear you're involved with a non-profit, as am I and numerous others who post here. There are members of the Stones who regularly give money to those in need; they just don't go on the Internet to brag about how caring they are.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...345678910111213Next
Current Page: 11 of 13

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1420
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home