Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...345678910111213Next
Current Page: 10 of 13
Re: Chicago-2 May 31 Stones show live updates
Date: June 2, 2013 15:14

RobertJohnson
Without Mick Taylor we see a tour of nostalgia; a bunch of two old guitar-lads which try to elaborate 10 percent of what they did in the seventies. With Mick Taylor there is a vivid band with creative musical ideas each time he is on stage. And it is not a matter of age. Mick Taylor is in the same age as Ronnie and Keith. It is not a matter of health. Mick Taylor had tremendous health problems in the last years. It is rather a matter of respect for music and the audience and a matter of the willingness to to do something new. Instead of this we have two guitarist in the comfort zone who are content with marvelling at the great guitar skills of Mick Taylor. More than one time Mick Taylor tried to animate Ronnie and Keith to do something unusual on guitar, without any success but for some grining in the faces of Ronnie and Keith.

No, simply because the whole band sounds good on this tour.

Posted by: angee ()
Date: June 2, 2013 15:37

I have to say, Chicago is the friendliest big city I've known.

I'm a bit biased, having grown up 90 miles away, but still...cool smiley

~"Love is Strong"~

Posted by: wicked67 ()
Date: June 2, 2013 16:18

fully agree with RobertJohnson!

Posted by: triceratops ()
Date: June 2, 2013 16:50

rollingon
triceratops
svt22

Agreed, although I think Jagger "overshouts" a bit. cool smiley

What you saw there (1972 ADTL) was a freight train. Was the Mick Taylor band with Mick Jagger on lead vocals

Mick Taylor + His Rhythm Section + Mick Jagger on lead vocals (Mick Jagger as a special guest)

I am sure that in an alternate universe there is a Mick Taylor band still playing strong after 40 years and in this years *nostalgia* tour they have recruited a fat paunchy Mick Jagger to guest spot on a few select tunes as their lead marracas player. MickJ sporadically complains that Mick Taylor has never paid him royalties for his marracas shaking on past albums

There is a Rolling Stones in this alternate universe but they are a suck-arse act that people joke about like Iron Butterfly which once beat them in a battle of the bands

Posted by: Jesse ()
Date: June 2, 2013 16:55

stonehearted
Jesse
we were listening to and comparing early Stones to early Beatles music. While the group from Liverpool was sweetly singing "I Wanna Hold Your Hand," the Stones were singing "Let's Spend the Night Together...."

Actually The Beatles were ahead of The Stones by a couple of years. In addition to having started writing original songs a couple of years before, their subject matter also evolved sooner. Let's Spend The Night Together was written in 1966, but the year before Lennon & McCartney had already touched upon the theme of one-night stands with Day Tripper. Norwegian Wood was also a song about a one-nighter--and a marital infidelity at that.

Interesting...I read that Lennon said "Daytripper" was a word play and a reference to people who go on "weekend trips" aka weekend hippies who use LSD. I DO know that a "daytripper" can also refer to a one-night stand but I doubt many teen girls (or parents) in the U.S. knew that at the time.

I also read that Norwegian Wood was about Lennon's own infidelity and intentionally written to not be easily understood by the average listener (or his own wife). And that was my point: on the most basic level the early smiling, supposedly clean-cut, Beatles wrote songs that "sounded" rather innocent but the Stones and their look and lyrics were in your face. Enough, enough. Obviously you know more factoids than I do.

I look forward to tomorrow's Stones show. I hope they have a Chicago bluesman for their guest, that would please Chicagoans and it would be fun to watch them play with someone like Buddy Guy or maybe Sugar Blue (a favorite of mine).

Pax.

Posted by: rollingon ()
Date: June 2, 2013 16:59

triceratops
rollingon
triceratops
svt22

Agreed, although I think Jagger "overshouts" a bit. cool smiley

What you saw there (1972 ADTL) was a freight train. Was the Mick Taylor band with Mick Jagger on lead vocals

Mick Taylor + His Rhythm Section + Mick Jagger on lead vocals (Mick Jagger as a special guest)

I am sure that in an alternate universe there is a Mick Taylor band still playing strong after 40 years and in this years *nostalgia* tour they have recruited a fat paunchy Mick Jagger to guest spot on a few select tunes as their lead marracas player. MickJ sporadically complains that Mick Taylor has never paid him royalties for his marracas shaking on past albums

There is a Rolling Stones in this alternate universe but they are a suck-arse act that people joke about like Iron Butterfly which once beat them in a battle of the bands

thumbs up

Date: June 2, 2013 17:09

rollingon

I think that both Mick and Keith understand that the Rolling Stones is a much bigger thing than either of them as persons or their personal relationship towards each other for example, I think also that Keith should have been more careful with his book but Mick is quite a tough guy and those things Keith said are really not so devastating IMO.

Both of them clearly enjoy performing to the audience and if it remains fun to the both of them (and also Charlie and Ronnie) I can't see why they would not extend the tour to Europe and other places. Maybe they haven't even decided that yet, maybe they will make these decisions later.

You are correct. The whole Rolling Stones phenomena is much larger than Mick, Keith, Charlie, Ronnie and they all know they have to go out and tour and make it happen for others, not just themselves!. Like Bobby Keys said to a poster here-- "I'm just waiting for them to call" (for the next tour)

It's the same with a politician who has been re-elected 15 times and wants to retire. His staff will urge him to continue, they will flatter him and boost him because the staff wants to keep their jobs. The voters still want to elect him according to the polls. The Stones are the same. They employ many worker bees who have been wanting-waiting for them to tour. Their children, wives, girlfriends want them to tour so they can inherit more. The fans want to see them again for one last time. The Taylorites want to see Mick Taylor and so on...

Posted by: roby ()
Date: June 2, 2013 17:20

And The Stones don't want give way to any another band... Jagger especially can't go without media coverage.

Posted by: stonesrule ()
Date: June 2, 2013 17:27

"Their children, wives, girlfriends want them to tour so they can inherit more"...

What a ludicrous post...and CRUEL.

Unless you know this for a fact, triceratops, and are personally acquainted with these people, you have a hell of nerve to make such a judgement.

Date: June 2, 2013 17:38

stonesrule
"Their children, wives, girlfriends want them to tour so they can inherit more"...

Unless you know this for a fact, triceratops, and are personally acquainted with these people, you have a hell of nerve to make such a judgement.

#1 you don't know human nature but are more likely pretending not to know it
#2 these kids, girlfriends, wives, ex-wives are mostly dependants as in depending on something or someone. My proof is that Jerry Hall is harrassing Mick over a house she wants full ownership of. Further proof is except for Georgia May Jagger I cannot think of any Stones offspring that has a decent career going. God forbid they should go to a university and become an accountant, nurse, civil engineer...All seem to dabble in the arts and it is hard to make the arts pay for your existence. Jade Jagger was kind of self-supported.

James Jagger -- Dad bought him a million dollar house in London "James's £1.3million home in Hackney, East London."

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-06-02 17:41 by triceratops.

Posted by: rollingon ()
Date: June 2, 2013 17:40

stonesrule

Maybe L'Wren Scott is now making all the business decisions and even deciding on the setlist...smiling smiley

Date: June 2, 2013 17:48

rollingon

Maybe L'Wren Scott is now making all the business decisions and even deciding on the setlist...smiling smiley

She is self made success and worth at least a few mil. But Mick Jaggers introductions to the right business people and connections have surely helped her success. They help each other or they would not be together after 10 years

Posted by: duffydawg ()
Date: June 2, 2013 18:10

Again:

The Rolling Stones are NOT "The Greatest Rock and Roll Band Ever"

But:

The Rolling Stones with Mick Taylor is "The Greatest Rock and Roll Band Ever."

I mean if Ron Wood would stop throwing Picks at the Audience (and all the other ass-clown stuff he does), Keef looking at his nails / staring at the ground and Jagger drop the guitar he uses for like half a song only so some Roadie can gofer it.... and just put Taylor up there...is that really too much to ask? LOL

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: June 2, 2013 18:21

duffydawg
Again:

The Rolling Stones are NOT "The Greatest Rock and Roll Band Ever"

But:

The Rolling Stones with Mick Taylor is "The Greatest Rock and Roll Band Ever."

I mean if Ron Wood would stop throwing Picks at the Audience (and all the other ass-clown stuff he does), Keef looking at his nails / staring at the ground and Jagger drop the guitar he uses for like half a song only so some Roadie can gofer it.... and just put Taylor up there...is that really too much to ask? LOL

Again, spoken like a true non-fan.

"The Greatest Rock and roll band the world will ever know"

Date: June 2, 2013 18:27

So you don't attack the message, but attack the messenger. I have been a fan for many decades and have gone to many shows. I put down great money to see an expanded version of MT as promised and got two songs plus a sit-in with Satisfaction.

Sorry the truth hurts but it is almost universally accepted that Taylor makes the Stones better.

Posted by: stonesrule ()
Date: June 2, 2013 18:35

triceratops, you've been posting here for six weeks and you are surely one of the most jealous people on the planet.

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: June 2, 2013 18:36

duffydawg
So you don't attack the message, but attack the messenger. I have been a fan for many decades and have gone to many shows. I put down great money to see an expanded version of MT as promised and got two songs plus a sit-in with Satisfaction.

Sorry the truth hurts but it is almost universally accepted that Taylor makes the Stones better.

You weren't promised anything and it is not almost universally accepted that Taylor makes the stones better.

Posted by: DoomandGloom ()
Date: June 2, 2013 18:37

His Majesty
duffydawg

You weren't promised anything and it is not almost universally accepted that Taylor makes the stones better.
Indeed.. Taylor seems happy.

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: June 2, 2013 19:02

His Majesty
duffydawg

The universe prefers Ronnie...

Date: June 2, 2013 19:12

duffydawg,

Yes, it is too much to ask. You are a serious music lover or maybe a musician yourself. Most concert-goers are not. They want to see the Stones they've been following -- WITHOUT MT -- for the past 30+ yrs. They love rock n'roller Ronnie.
They see MT as a "guest," one of the "old Stones" from way back. They loved him on Sat. but they don't want to see him spotlighted, and then stand in one place (or kneel) with his head down for more than 3 songs. All while Ronnie respectfully would play 2nd fiddle. (pun intended) You've got a different show in mind -- this tour is a celebration of the guys who stuck it out thru thick and thin. Mick Taylor bailed. Why should he get credit not due him. It's not about how good he plays, it's about the band that stayed together. It's a business choice: give the people what they want. They want to hear "Satisfaction" and "Miss You." Jagger know that and he knows that giving MT more songs, wouldn't sit right, would somehow misplace loyalty. I think they're doing it just right.

I'm not sure what PR you read, but I didn't get promised anything much re MT. I think he's great but in my eyes, he's a "guest" on this tour. I also think he was lucky to be invited.

Date: June 2, 2013 19:17

Jesse
duffydawg,

Yes, it is too much to ask. You are a serious music lover or maybe a musician yourself. Most concert-goers are not. They want to see the Stones they've been following -- WITHOUT MT -- for the past 30+ yrs. They love rock n'roller Ronnie.
They see MT as a "guest," one of the "old Stones" from way back. They loved him on Sat. but they don't want to see him spotlighted, and then stand in one place (or kneel) with his head down for more than 3 songs. All while Ronnie respectfully would play 2nd fiddle. (pun intended) You've got a different show in mind -- this tour is a celebration of the guys who stuck it out thru thick and thin. Mick Taylor bailed. Why should he get credit not due him. It's not about how good he plays, it's about the band that stayed together. It's a business choice: give the people what they want. They want to hear "Satisfaction" and "Miss You." Jagger know that and he knows that giving MT more songs, wouldn't sit right, would somehow misplace loyalty. I think they're doing it just right.

I'm not sure what PR you read, but I didn't get promised anything much re MT. I think he's great but in my eyes, he's a "guest" on this tour. I also think he was lucky to be invited.

Jesse:

There were several statements by Keef and MJ in interviews that have been previously posted discussing MT's "Expanded role." Just search for them - they are there. I didn't make this point up.

Posted by: laertisflash ()
Date: June 2, 2013 19:27

Well said Dandelion. You made a simple, but absolutely apposite remark. The whole band sounds very good on this tour - and not only on MR, YCHMK and "Satisfaction", of course... Everyone is happy to see Mick Taylor performing with the Stones, after four decades. But i can't understand why on earth some people, sometimes, are thinking that this entrancement have to be turned into the "criticism against Keith and Ronnie- Part 896...". This criticism isn't fair, atleast as for this tour, IMO.

Some personal thoughts:

Does Mick Taylor add quality? Of course. One more guitarist, an excellent one, plays on three songs with his personal style bringing so much memories... Does he play perfectly? Of course not. He makes a few mistakes and, IMO, his solo on YCHMK (Chicago) has some parts and moments of puzzlement. As if he could not decide where exactly he might lead the solo. Big deal? No, minor detail, to me! What i try to say is that some proportional details, beeing analyzed to death by many fans, are giving "good reasons" to "crucify" other band's members (Jagger and Charlie included)... And don't forget that Taylor has to be concentrated on just 2 or 3 numbers, while the others have to save powers and divide their energy into 2.5 hours gig. HUGE diffenence...

MT on more (than 3 or 4) songs? It would be great. But i think they need time for additional rehearsals, in order to have allocation of labour- i mean between the guitars. Just remember tour's start, in London, when the band played MR first time (after 39 years!) with MT. That wasn't exactly a good tuning, i think. Who knows, if there is (and i hope so!) european leg of the tour, perhaps until then they will have prepare some more "Five Stones Stuff"...

Date: June 2, 2013 19:29

duffydawg
Jesse
duffydawg,

Jesse:

There were several statements by Keef and MJ in interviews that have been previously posted discussing MT's "Expanded role." Just search for them - they are there. I didn't make this point up.

---I'm not quite sure what you're saying. You're complaining about false promotion re MT's possible "expanded" role?

Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: June 2, 2013 19:42

laertisflash
Well said Dandelion. You made a simple, but absolutely apposite remark. The whole band sounds very good on this tour - and not only on MR, YCHMK and "Satisfaction", of course... Everyone is happy to see Mick Taylor performing with the Stones, after four decades. But i can't understand why on earth some people, sometimes, are thinking that this entrancement have to be turned into the "criticism against Keith and Ronnie- Part 896...". This criticism isn't fair, atleast as for this tour, IMO.

Some personal thoughts:

Does Mick Taylor add quality? Of course. One more guitarist, an excellent one, plays on three songs with his personal style bringing so much memories... Does he play perfectly? Of course not. He makes a few mistakes and, IMO, his solo on YCHMK (Chicago) has some parts and moments of puzzlement. As if he could not decide where exactly he might lead the solo. Big deal? No, minor detail, to me! What i try to say is that some proportional details, beeing analyzed to death by many fans, are giving "good reasons" to "crucify" other band's members (Jagger and Charlie included)... And don't forget that Taylor has to be concentrated on just 2 or 3 numbers, while the others have to save powers and divide their energy into 2.5 hours gig. HUGE diffenence...

MT on more (than 3 or 4) songs? It would be great. But i think they need time for additional rehearsals, in order to have allocation of labour- i mean between the guitars. Just remember tour's start, in London, when the band played MR first time (after 39 years!) with MT. That wasn't exactly a good tuning, i think. Who knows, if there is (and i hope so!) european leg of the tour, perhaps until then they will have prepare some more "Five Stones Stuff"...

Their European Tours in the Taylor era were always better than their previous American ones (70 to 69; 73 to 72). Anyway, listening to the first Rambler with Taylor in London in great sound quality is a big pleasure. Even without all the rehearsing. Too much rehearsing isn't good anyway.

Date: June 2, 2013 20:01

duffydawg wrote:

"It is almost universally accepted that Taylor makes the Stones better".

Yes, but also it is clear that the Stones have pushed his abilities forward, as Taylor himself once said (if memory helps, his admission is included in "25 X 5" documentary). MT has right. I have seen three Taylor's gigs on 90s. The performances were obviously lower than the level he had with the Stones.

You know, sometimes the factor that counts is "chemistry"...

Posted by: beachbreak ()
Date: June 2, 2013 20:02

Mick Taylor is a great guitarist.

Mick Taylor is currently not a Rolling Stone. Hasn't been for 30+ years.

He quit and left them high and dry for the Black and Blue sessions.

I love MT and I'm sure he had his reasons for leaving.

Nobody here knows if Mick Taylor wants to be a permanent member of the Stones.

Nobody here knows if the Rolling Stones want Mick Taylor as a permanent member.

Therefore, Mick Taylor is a guest artist on this tour.

I prefer the early 70's Stones but the Stones aren't 29 years old anymore and won't be playing with MT, minus Ronnie, through cranked AMPEG stacks at a cocaine fueled breakneck speed

Ronnie has done a good job and is loyal to the band.

This is the current incarnation of the band and they rock!

If MT and the Stones decide to add him as a permanent member, it would be awesome!

From their end, there are probably so many factors to be considered that it would boggle our minds. Economics, contracts, personal..........

Date: June 2, 2013 20:06

stonesrule
triceratops, you've been posting here for six weeks and you are surely one of the most jealous people on the planet.

Of who in particular? I am mostly a Mick Taylor booster who would love to see him get a proper payday for his past work and I say good and bad things about Mick and Keith. I make a few snide remarks and jokes at their expense but its not because I am jealous. Are you taking this all too seriously?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-06-02 20:10 by triceratops.

Date: June 2, 2013 20:09

"Ronnie has done a good job and is loyal to the band"

That's right, beachbreak. And his contribution remains underreted...

Posted by: MKjan ()
Date: June 2, 2013 20:21

laertisflash
duffydawg wrote:

"It is almost universally accepted that Taylor makes the Stones better".

Yes, but also it is clear that the Stones have pushed his abilities forward, as Taylor himself once said (if memory helps, his admission is included in "25 X 5" documentary). MT has right. I have seen three Taylor's gigs on 90s. The performances were obviously lower than the level he had with the Stones.

You know, sometimes the factor that counts is "chemistry"...

yep, it's the chemistry..the synergistic effect....magic...

Date: June 2, 2013 20:22

beachbreak

Therefore, Mick Taylor is a guest artist on this tour.

I prefer the early 70's Stones but the Stones aren't 29 years old anymore and won't be playing with MT, minus Ronnie, through cranked AMPEG stacks at a cocaine fueled breakneck speed

Many here say The Stones could do a very good rendition of the 1970s Stones with some of the Mick Taylor tunes if they wanted to. But they (MickJ?) don't want to except on CYHMK so far and one try at Sway

Mick extended himself to do "Emotional Rescue" so it can be done

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-06-03 00:08 by triceratops.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...345678910111213Next
Current Page: 10 of 13

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1788
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home