Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...345678910111213Next
Current Page: 9 of 13
Re: Chicago-2 May 31 Stones show live updates
Posted by: rollingon ()
Date: June 2, 2013 00:18

jazzbass
Palace Revolution 2000
Do you think Jagger got a bit uncomfortable when Taylor was kneeling down in front of him? Towards the end of his Knockin solo?

There is something different about the band this time around. I can not put my finger on it; but they are acting, or coming of differently. OK, it has a lot to do with Taylor. But Jagger (who defies description) as let up on the showboat histrionics a bit. his dancing seems more instinct and of the moment; with abandon.

I've noticed this as well. IMO, it's a combination of things. Mick will tell anyone who asks him that his and Keith's relationship is a good 'working' relationship. Their is perhaps no real friendship left.

I think this entire tour is one of obligation rather than a real want to tour, by almost any of them. Sure they say things like they love it and that is what they are made to do etc, but to a man, each has their legitimate reasons as to why they wouldn't want to tour.

I think they understood they had an obligation to honor their 50th with at least a small tour and out of sense of duty and professionalism are doing it and doing it quite well. (Just by the nature of who the Stones are, it had to be done very well.)

But my bet is at least Mick and Charlie are anxious for it to be over and without actually announcing it, put an end to the 50 year rollercoaster ride that has been the Rolling Stones.

As much as I enjoyed Keith's book, I think apology or not, it has done some irreparable damage to the band.

I think that both Mick and Keith understand that the Rolling Stones is a much bigger thing than either of them as persons or their personal relationship towards each other for example, I think also that Keith should have been more careful with his book but Mick is quite a tough guy and those things Keith said are really not so devastating IMO.

Both of them clearly enjoy performing to the audience and if it remains fun to the both of them (and also Charlie and Ronnie) I can't see why they would not extend the tour to Europe and other places. Maybe they haven't even decided that yet, maybe they will make these decisions later.

Posted by: StonesCat ()
Date: June 2, 2013 00:21

MisterDDDD
Bungo
Someone should really start a Bobby Keys appreciation thread. The guy has contributed so much to The Stones for so many years it's ridiculous. He was even a part of The Golden Era. This may be his last go-round with the Boys. I'll like to buy that sommabitch a beer some time.

Whole heartedly agree!!

Met him at a festival in Houston a couple years back, and he couldn't have been cooler. Asked him when the Stones would be touring again and he said
"Just waitin' on the call, Man".. Shaking his hand and chatting with him for a few was the highlight of the festival (and trip) for me.

Amazing to think that he and Keith have the exact same birthday as well...

With Knocking and ER last night, along with his usuals, he had quite a few showcases on stage.

Posted by: Jesse ()
Date: June 2, 2013 00:37

I've been loving this thread too. Thanks to all who went to the shows who are sharing their thoughts. I feel like I was there.

Still waiting for videos of Sheryl Crow and Midnight Rambler. Wonder why they can't even be found on youtube while other songs from last nite can be.... Also wanted to see the audience sing Happy Birthday to Ronne and Charlie. I can wait. smiling smiley

Again, thanks everyone. It's been really fun reading your thoughts and opinions.

Posted by: bleedingman ()
Date: June 2, 2013 00:54

Jesse
I've been loving this thread too. Thanks to all who went to the shows who are sharing their thoughts. I feel like I was there.

Still waiting for videos of Sheryl Crow and Midnight Rambler. Wonder why they can't even be found on youtube while other songs from last nite can be.... Also wanted to see the audience sing Happy Birthday to Ronne and Charlie. I can wait. smiling smiley

Again, thanks everyone. It's been really fun reading your thoughts and opinions.

Agreed and thank you, bv, for enabling us to hang out with fellow fans around the world!

Wish we got something similar at Barclay's but hoping for an official release of these shows. (Not complaining, mind you!)

Jesse, "Rambler" is in the show in videos thread.
[www.iorr.org]

Posted by: virgil ()
Date: June 2, 2013 01:02

virgil
Friday night May 31st Ticketmaster price drop for Monday nights show. Just checked 8:40 EST, $160's available in the 200 club section. These seats were recenty $450.

Saturday 6pm EST 160's no longer available, I hope some of you who need tickets for Monday were able to score some of these.

Posted by: schwonek ()
Date: June 2, 2013 01:07

All down the line

Date: June 2, 2013 01:33

Thank you for sheryl crow video.

I found the b'day stuff on the video thread but didn't see Rambler. Maybe I missed it. Guess I'll force myself to look again and play a few more songs...winking smiley

I've regressed to about 16 today -- having too much fun reading this thread, listening to music and getting sidetracked with other Stones articles. My kids are happy playing by themselves and as for dinner...it's a great excuse to order in.

Wish I could buy all of you a beer!

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: June 2, 2013 01:33

BluzDude
What I find most interesting about Taylor's lead is that in Chicago it looks like he used his treble pickup where in LA he used his bass pickup.

yep, the tone is definitely different, I was looking for the position of the switch in the Chicago video but couldn't really see it, in LA I'm pretty sure he flipped it to the top position, i.e. rythm, aka "muddy" and it sure sounded "juicy" ;-)

Posted by: bleedingman ()
Date: June 2, 2013 01:38

Jesse

I found the b'day stuff on the video thread but didn't see Rambler. Maybe I missed it. Guess I'll force myself to look again and play a few more songs...winking smiley

I've regressed to about 16 today -- having too much fun reading this thread, listening to music and getting sidetracked with other Stones articles. My kids are happy playing by themselves and as for dinner...it's a great excuse to order in.

Jesse, link to youtube Rambler.

Edit: Some of these vids seem to freeze up. Hopefully due to heavy viewing.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-06-02 01:42 by bleedingman.

Posted by: beachbreak ()
Date: June 2, 2013 02:27

I gotta say, after CYHMK when Keith kissed Mick Taylor it brought a tear to my eye. The guy's life has been a struggle which Keith knows all about. It was like "brother, we made it to the other side". Fantastic. What a great show of support for MT by the band and fans.

Date: June 2, 2013 02:30

bleedingman, thank you, thank you.

Lord -- to have been there and heard that for 12 min! I'm replaying it again as soon as I post this.

This band that we all love has become one of the greatest blues/rock bands-- and they do it with appropriate kick-ass style. NO ONE can say they're trying to act like kids again. No young rockers today, and there are some good ones, can bring the soul, experience and good humor to music like the Rolling Stones. (Does it sound hokey to I'm so proud of them!!)

Long live the Rolling Stones and their great bluesy Rock music.

And thanks very very much for the video. smiling smiley smiling smiley

Posted by: beachbreak ()
Date: June 2, 2013 02:38

The Stones bring a huge can of whupass every time they take the stage. Not many bands today can compete.

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: June 2, 2013 02:41

beachbreak
The Stones bring a huge can of whupass every time they take the stage. Not many bands today can compete.

wait until the playoffs

Posted by: sonomastone ()
Date: June 2, 2013 02:55

bleedingman

yes... it has 152 views!

Posted by: paulm ()
Date: June 2, 2013 03:23

beachbreak
I gotta say, after CYHMK when Keith kissed Mick Taylor it brought a tear to my eye.

Holy sh1t good call beach...wow...a lip lockin' bro-mance goin' on here.

Posted by: buffalo81 ()
Date: June 2, 2013 04:46

CYHMK the highlight of the tour.

Posted by: angee ()
Date: June 2, 2013 06:19

Yeah, when it came on, rather abruptly, I screamed.
MR was amazing, keeps getting better and better.

The crowd was so into it, and the band just fed off of it to reach new heights, imo.
I was in the first level straight at the back, and felt the really good vibes throughout the hall.

As a final note, seeing young people standing with older ones, I was heartened at the
number of people who truly seem to appreciate this good music. It really sounded
timeless last night.

~"Love is Strong"~

Posted by: stonesrule ()
Date: June 2, 2013 06:28

Jesse, enjoying your posts.
You are a good addition to this craaaazy place.

Posted by: triceratops ()
Date: June 2, 2013 06:32

Just for comparison sake here is how -All Down the Line- came out live in 1972 with Mick Taylor providing 50% of the sound in my book. None of Keith's weaving here, not a hint of it. 1972 is much better than what Sheryl Crow+ Stones did. This is why you have so many Taylorites on this website. Could Mick Taylor play this well in 2013 if he played on ADTL? I am sure he could do 90% as well. Then have Bobby Keys and Tim Reis come in at the right time (like 1972) to seal the deal. The humorous part is this 1972 performance is Stones issued on their YouTube channel, but is typical of how it was performed in the Mick Taylor era.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2013-06-02 06:37 by triceratops.

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: June 2, 2013 08:24

triceratops
Just for comparison sake here is how -All Down the Line- came out live in 1972 with Mick Taylor providing 50% of the sound in my book. None of Keith's weaving here, not a hint of it. 1972 is much better than what Sheryl Crow+ Stones did. This is why you have so many Taylorites on this website. Could Mick Taylor play this well in 2013 if he played on ADTL? I am sure he could do 90% as well. Then have Bobby Keys and Tim Reis come in at the right time (like 1972) to seal the deal. The humorous part is this 1972 performance is Stones issued on their YouTube channel, but is typical of how it was performed in the Mick Taylor era.

Weaving, schmeaving. Give me this over the alleged "weaving" any day. Plus, Bill and Charlie absolutely kill here.

Date: June 2, 2013 09:50

stonesrule
Jesse, enjoying your posts.
You are a good addition to this craaaazy place.

Thanks!
Last nite we were listening to and comparing early Stones to early Beatles music. While the group from Liverpool was sweetly singing "I Wanna Hold Your Hand," the Stones were singing "Let's Spend the Night Together...." Gotta Laugh -- no ambiguity there! Must have scared the hell out of parents. Watching them yesterday, one can still see the "dangerous" bad boys up there: Keef the pirate, Mick the Magician and the "new" guy,Ronnie the gunslinger prowling around the stage. Hide your daughters! How lucky we are to get this tour!

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: June 2, 2013 10:49

Jesse
we were listening to and comparing early Stones to early Beatles music. While the group from Liverpool was sweetly singing "I Wanna Hold Your Hand," the Stones were singing "Let's Spend the Night Together...."

Actually The Beatles were ahead of The Stones by a couple of years. In addition to having started writing original songs a couple of years before, their subject matter also evolved sooner. Let's Spend The Night Together was written in 1966, but the year before Lennon & McCartney had already touched upon the theme of one-night stands with Day Tripper. Norwegian Wood was also a song about a one-nighter--and a marital infidelity at that.

Posted by: roby ()
Date: June 2, 2013 11:51

Mick Taylor or how to transcend a song...smiling smiley

bleedingman
Jesse

Jesse, link to youtube Rambler.

Date: June 2, 2013 13:17

triceratops

Imho the difference is Bill Wyman.

I always think the same about this topic. Darry is technically thousand light years away from Bill, he played with M Davis. Ok. Perfect. But the hot, spicy, lecherous, bluesy, red hot, misterious, deep sound of Bill is missing.

Posted by: Thrylan ()
Date: June 2, 2013 13:29

Thats funny because if you follow sesionography, Keith, Ronnie or MT plays damn near every tricky, tasty bassline in the catalogue. I love Bill, but he was not versatile. MY is as tricky as he got......and its straight forward 4/4.

Posted by: svt22 ()
Date: June 2, 2013 13:44

71Tele
triceratops

Weaving, schmeaving. Give me this over the alleged "weaving" any day. Plus, Bill and Charlie absolutely kill here.

Agreed, although I think Jagger "overshouts" a bit. cool smiley

Posted by: triceratops ()
Date: June 2, 2013 14:17

svt22

What you saw there (1972 ADTL) was a freight train. Was the Mick Taylor band with Mick Jagger on lead vocals

Posted by: rollingon ()
Date: June 2, 2013 15:03

triceratops
svt22

What you saw there (1972 ADTL) was a freight train. Was the Mick Taylor band with Mick Jagger on lead vocals

Mick Taylor + His Rhythm Section + Mick Jagger on lead vocals (Mick Jagger as a special guest)

Date: June 2, 2013 15:06

triceratops
svt22

Mick Taylor band? He was lucky get to play on songs like these...

Posted by: angee ()
Date: June 2, 2013 15:07

Anyone else at the show? Would love to read more comments from
Friday night.

~"Love is Strong"~

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...345678910111213Next
Current Page: 9 of 13

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1708
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home