Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4
Do you like Get Off Of My Cloud as opener?
Posted by: ThatsWhatISay ()
Date: May 31, 2013 15:57

I've only seen the stones live in the 02 arena last year, but have been listening to all the youtube videos. While I love the tour and the setlists so far, I think their eagerness to experiment hasn't worked out well with the opening song this time.

IMO, Get Off Of My Cloud is a very poor choice as opener. First, the 2012/13 version is a pretty poor rendition and actually is has never really worked well live apart from the early days. Second, it's simply not enough "in-your-face" and jaw dropping to kick off a Stones show. Combined with the Stones tendency to not properly turn up the volume, boring static lighting and Mick struggeling with the verbose lyrics they sound like a sloppy school band and not like the world's greatest rock 'n roll band. In this song it also becomes blatantly obvious that keith has a hard time playing a clean chord.

Just watch the crowds during the song. Except for the "Hey, hey you..." part they are not very much into the song at all.

I would prefer something that is a little more straightforward to play for them and gets a better crowd response.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-05-31 16:00 by ThatsWhatISay.

Re: Do you like Get Off Of My Cloud as opener?
Posted by: 1962 ()
Date: May 31, 2013 15:58

GOOMC is a perfect opener!!!!!!!

Posted by: RockinJive ()
Date: May 31, 2013 16:04

YES!!!!!!! A great opener!

Posted by: odean73 ()
Date: May 31, 2013 16:06

Have to agree, its a brilliant opener.

Posted by: vudicus ()
Date: May 31, 2013 16:08

Great song to open with.

Posted by: uhbuhgullayew ()
Date: May 31, 2013 16:12

ThatsWhatISay
I've only seen the stones live in the 02 arena last year, but have been listening to all the youtube videos. While I love the tour and the setlists so far, I think their eagerness to experiment hasn't worked out well with the opening song this time.

IMO, Get Off Of My Cloud is a very poor choice as opener. First, the 2012/13 version is a pretty poor rendition and actually is has never really worked well live apart from the early days. Second, it's simply not enough "in-your-face" and jaw dropping to kick off a Stones show. Combined with the Stones tendency to not properly turn up the volume, boring static lighting and Mick struggeling with the verbose lyrics they sound like a sloppy school band and not like the world's greatest rock 'n roll band. In this song it also becomes blatantly obvious that keith has a hard time playing a clean chord.

Just watch the crowds during the song. Except for the "Hey, hey you..." part they are not very much into the song at all.

I would prefer something that is a little more straightforward to play for them and gets a better crowd response.

Spot on.

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: May 31, 2013 16:13

It's a perfectly good opener.

I can see the issue with this current "subtle" version though.
It might please some folks more if played in that tougher style employed in the 70sw when blending it with IYCRM.

For me, it's fine. One of the things I like about this band is how they rework potentially tired old songs to give a fresh twist.
Not everybody will like the same twist ;^)

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: May 31, 2013 16:17

take yer whinin' over to the complaints thread. cloud rocks and rules...

Posted by: flacnvinyl ()
Date: May 31, 2013 16:23

Your post is completely correct. I love the way they play it this tour, great song.. but they should really open with Start Me Up. Great Keith riff, Ronnie gets a solo right out the gate, singalong lyrics.. that or Little Queenie!

Posted by: marko ()
Date: May 31, 2013 16:27

i think its OK,at least its a new opener,i would prefer Dancing with Mr D smiling smiley

Date: May 31, 2013 16:31

flacnvinyl
Your post is completely correct. I love the way they play it this tour, great song.. but they should really open with Start Me Up. Great Keith riff, Ronnie gets a solo right out the gate, singalong lyrics.. that or Little Queenie!

YOU are not allowed to talk about little queenie anymore until the tour is over.

Posted by: GravityBoy ()
Date: May 31, 2013 16:32

They should open with a Mick Taylor tune.

Date: May 31, 2013 16:35

GravityBoy
They should open with a Mick Taylor tune.

Ventilator Blues? That's the only one winking smiley

Posted by: OpenGspot ()
Date: May 31, 2013 16:36

It's a brilliant choice as an opener for three reasons. First it was their second number one single in the U.S., the first being Satisfaction - which they hold onto for the encore. Second is the uptempo feel of the song that gets everyone grooving. Lastly, and perhaps most importantly, it shows the longevity of their career and how long they've been rocking. Performing a song that is 48 years old takes us all back to the genesis of the band we love. It also happens to be one of the simplest songs to play in their catalog - which is likely a great way to warm up for the evening. I can't think of too many other songs that would be more appropriate at this point in their career as an opener.

Date: May 31, 2013 16:36

flacnvinyl

Yeah, Start Me Up or a Chuck song + a great solo would be way better. Or Sympathy or Paint it Black. Something that everyone immediately recognizes and that really lifts the roof off the arena.

If you compare GOOMC with e.g. Satisfaction as opening song of the B2B tour, GOOMC just pales.

I didn't mean to say they should drop GOOMC entirely. The way they play it might not be the best rendition (IMO), but it has its place in the current setlist. I just don't think it is a good opener.

Date: May 31, 2013 16:38

all this complaining on a non-complaining-sanctioned thread is making me upset.

Date: May 31, 2013 16:42

OpenGspot
It's a brilliant choice as an opener for three reasons. First it was their second number one single in the U.S., the first being Satisfaction - which they hold onto for the encore. Second is the uptempo feel of the song that gets everyone grooving. Lastly, and perhaps most importantly, it shows the longevity of their career and how long they've been rocking. Performing a song that is 48 years old takes us all back to the genesis of the band we love. It also happens to be one of the simplest songs to play in their catalog - which is likely a great way to warm up for the evening. I can't think of too many other songs that would be more appropriate at this point in their career as an opener.

These are mostly reasons the casual fan or concert-goer doens't know or understand. Also the uptempo feel of the studio version and early tours is pretty much gone. Too slow and messy now...for a song that is so simple to play.

Posted by: drbryant ()
Date: May 31, 2013 16:43

I agree that it's weak as an opener. If they feel compelled to use an old tune, I would much prefer Last Time or Around and Around, both of which are legit "historical" choices.

Posted by: watts fan ()
Date: May 31, 2013 16:46

I'd love the Last Time, but they would never open or close a show with that one nowadays, as it would be more fodder for the writers.

Date: May 31, 2013 16:51

drbryant
I agree that it's weak as an opener. If they feel compelled to use an old tune, I would much prefer Last Time or Around and Around, both of which are legit "historical" choices.

True, Last Time could work as well. Maybe It's All Over Now, too. Heck, even I Wanna Be Your Man was much better (I actually really enjoyed it!).
None of these are truly in-your-face as I said above, but nonetheless more crowd activating and easier to play true to the original.

Posted by: fahthree ()
Date: May 31, 2013 16:54

It's okay. I'm happy that they chose something that wasn't obvious, much like Voodoo Lounge's Not Fade Away.

Posted by: laertisflash ()
Date: May 31, 2013 16:58

I think the song it's OK as opener. And it sounds clearly better compared to the ABB versions. But, despite my disagreetments with WhatISay as for how we are rating the song's performances on this tour, i have to admit that he has a point asking "something that is a little more straightforward to play". But what exactly? SMU or JJF? Again?

IMO, generally speaking, a great and unusual opener could be "One Hit (To The Body)". But after all, it's no big deal. Who cares so match about the opening song, knowing that the Stones will perform for 2 (plus) hours after this? I have so great memories from Voodoo Lounge tour, when the band was starting every show with the "Not Fade Away"... I would not call NFA "strong opener", for sure...

Posted by: DEmerson ()
Date: May 31, 2013 17:00

I agree with the original post and have thought about starting my own discussion about it. I like the 'history' behind GOMC but I think it's kind of weak as an opener. Hope they switch it up.

Posted by: Thrylan ()
Date: May 31, 2013 17:00

On a thread similar to this one, the general consensus was no. Most seem to prefer a more hard hitting straight forward rocker, generally something with a hard hitting open G intro. Faves were JJF,HTW,SFM,BS,STU....etc. One of the big advantages to this is you take a predictable 8 minute warhorse, trim the fat, get it out of the way and shake up the backend. People were generally positive in the NS Tour setlist thread. Most of these shows opened with JJF and included HTW or SFM,IORR in the first five, again shaking things up. Other favorite ideas were, LMG,IYCRM,and a Chuck tune. Actually, as much as it gets beaten up here, YGMR would make a good opener. In general, people felt GOMC was too herky jerky and disjointed to be an opener.
DISCLAIMER- This is only the summation of a thread. It is NOT a complaint, but rather an opinion. Please refer all complaints to the said "Complaints Thread." Thank you for your cooperation.

Posted by: thkbeercan ()
Date: May 31, 2013 17:04

In a word, no.

Date: May 31, 2013 17:05

thkbeercan
In a word, no.

it's friday...you get three words....

Posted by: Shawn20 ()
Date: May 31, 2013 17:10

I really like the song, so I am for it being the opener.

Date: May 31, 2013 17:12

Thrylan
On a thread similar to this one, the general consensus was no. Most seem to prefer a more hard hitting straight forward rocker, generally something with a hard hitting open G intro. Faves were JJF,HTW,SFM,BS,STU....etc. One of the big advantages to this is you take a predictable 8 minute warhorse, trim the fat, get it out of the way and shake up the backend. People were generally positive in the NS Tour setlist thread. Most of these shows opened with JJF and included HTW or SFM,IORR in the first five, again shaking things up. Other favorite ideas were, LMG,IYCRM,and a Chuck tune. Actually, as much as it gets beaten up here, YGMR would make a good opener. In general, people felt GOMC was too herky jerky and disjointed to be an opener.
DISCLAIMER- This is only the summation of a thread. It is NOT a complaint, but rather an opinion. Please refer all complaints to the said "Complaints Thread." Thank you for your cooperation.

Well put.
GOOMC simply doesn't reach the upper ranks which remain mostly quiet and observing which is generally VERY BAD. A good opener has to get everyone on their feet. For that reason alone the Stones should reconsider choosing GOOMC as opening song.

Date: May 31, 2013 17:14

ThatsWhatISay
Thrylan

Well put.
GOOMC simply doesn't reach the upper ranks which remain mostly quiet and observing which is generally VERY BAD. A good opener has to get everyone on their feet. For that reason alone the Stones should reconsider choosing GOOMC as opening song.

if they are just trying to get folks on their feet, may i suggest the national anthem?

Date: May 31, 2013 17:21

StonesTod
if they are just trying to get folks on their feet, may i suggest the national anthem?

:-D

That's not a Stones tune ;-)

Goto Page: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1900
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home