Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Midnight Rambler
Posted by: Ernest Craven ()
Date: March 13, 2005 21:06

For those of you who think that the version of MR from MSG 03 or any post 89 tour version is the best should check out the Hold On Tight version (MSG 27/6/75) and you will see you are wrong! Fookin' explosive guitars from KR and RW. There are many other quality versions from the 70's but I think this one just about comes out on top...

Re: Midnight Rambler
Posted by: Potted Shrimp ()
Date: March 14, 2005 00:56

Akron 1972 is the best MR version IMHO.

Date: March 14, 2005 01:22

I really like the 1972 tour versions but the 1975 tour versions has something extra.. a dirty, dark side ;-)

Posted by: Sam Spade ()
Date: March 14, 2005 01:43

Ernest Craven Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I really like the 1972 tour versions but the 1975
> tour versions has something extra.. a dirty, dark
> side ;-)

I agree, the '75 versions were a whole lot darker and dirtier. Mick really played up the rape sequence as he humped the lotus stage and whipped the stage with his sequinned studded belt as the lights errupted.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: March 14, 2005 09:36

I stand by the original studio version any time. Absolutely the best of them all.

There's nothing darker and meaner than the tone of each and every instrument -including Micks vocals -this is definitely the absolute perfect version.

Date: March 14, 2005 10:13

I think the original version is a bit slow and thin, but it really captures that dark feel, maybe better than most of the live versions.

The Hold On Tight version is good. Of the newer version I think Atlantic City is one of the better.

Posted by: LA FORUM ()
Date: March 14, 2005 10:50

Hariball, you are so right. I also prefer that version. The version on @#$%& Blues is good too. The mid section is so good on both. But the studio version is total darkness and if you listen to it with earphones you get what Keith Richards and the interplay between him and Mick is all about. Brians soul is there too, ghostly.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: March 14, 2005 10:59

Midnight Rambler is a live song, actually the best live song ever. My favourite version is the one from Brussel 1973.

Date: March 14, 2005 11:20

Yeah, Brussels 1973 is hot! I also like the version from L & G 1972. Toronto '75, Seattle '75, LA '75....

Posted by: LE PAUL JAGGER ()
Date: March 14, 2005 15:15

I think the best version are in 72/73 with Taylor
With Woody 76 in Paris on 7 june.

Posted by: roby ()
Date: March 14, 2005 15:17

LE PAUL JAGGER Wrote:
> I think the best version are in 72/73 with Taylor

me too. New York 72 is fantastic

Posted by: Hound Dog ()
Date: March 14, 2005 17:14

I agree this is a complete live song, I really never listen to the studio version. And this is always great live, every version on any tour is really the highlight of the set that night so I think most live versions of this song rock. If anyone wants to show someone what the live Stones are all about they should play them this song. In 75, it seems as if Mick is pretty messed up on drugs and all that whiskey he was drinking during those shows. His stage movements are great, however he looks stoned out of his mind. When I showed the Live LA 1975 dvd to my girlfriend she thought Mick looked crazy and out of his mind on drugs. I thought it was great, the ultimate front man.

Posted by: Wuudy ()
Date: March 14, 2005 18:00

roby Wrote:
>
>
> me too. New York 72 is fantastic
>
>

I'm listening to the NY '72 version right now. Great intro by Mick. Really long harp intro and then i think Keith has enough of it and just starts the song.

Great song, fantastic live song. To hard to pick a favorite.

Cheers,
Wuudy

Date: March 14, 2005 20:04

I agree that it's one of the best songs the Stones play live. But still I stand by the original, the rest are simpley new renditions and variations of the original studio masterpiece.

With that said, I'll admit that the one of the highlights of the many Licks shows I saw last tour was being front row B-stage in Los Angeles standing in front of Keith and Mick who were annihilating their way through Midnight Rambler. It was like taking an academic course in rock and roll and how to shred the hell out of a rock song. Perfect in every way, with Keith being the master riff-meister and Mick the ultimate front man. Keith was in his glory, cranking away at the machine-like riffs throughout the entire song and sweating profusely. And when Charlie kicks in to change the beat at various times throughout the song...it doesn't get any better. It was an experience that is indelibly marked in my brain forever.

Date: March 15, 2005 00:18

The best thing for me on MR on the 72/73 and 75/76 tours is you pretty much get a different version each night they played.. both guitars going for it.. something sadly missing from todays stones!

Date: March 15, 2005 03:06

Yes...very true Ernest...and if I recall correctly Ronnie was over in the corner of the B-stage twiddling his thumbs and making funny facial expressions. But still...what an experience it was!

At any rate, it's all Mick and Keith anyways, no matter what, although M.T did give it a few nice twists and turns while he was making a stab at it in the early '70's. There's no denying the virtuosity of Mick Taylor, but in reality, he made it into a completely different song from the original studio version, turning it into a guitar clinic of blues maestro quality.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1899
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home