Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 1234567891011Next
Current Page: 1 of 11
Glastonbury TV broadcast
Posted by: Juniorjackflash ()
Date: May 30, 2013 12:44

I remember watching the Isle of Wight festival all weekend with the promise of The Rolling Stones highlights coming up in the evening, only to find they only allowed for two songs (SMu, SFTD) to be shown. I was hugely disappointed. I think this is such a huge opportunity for the band to sell themselves to a whole new generation, and would hate to see only 3 songs being shown on the beeb.
Anyone got any information about what they are planning?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-05-31 10:59 by bv.

Re: Please let the whole Glastonbury set be televised not just 2 songs like IOW
Posted by: 1962 ()
Date: May 30, 2013 12:46

Yes, please!

Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: May 30, 2013 13:05

Yes Please, it would be fun.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-05-30 13:06 by Max'sKansasCity.

Posted by: mr_c_ox ()
Date: May 30, 2013 13:06

Usually the BBC show most if not all the show. Its not all at once, they seem to play large parts of it as part of the magazine style main show with large chunks on other days and times and the red button. I know that the U2 set was edited togeather by a fan and put on a torrent site. The BBC did show all (i think) of The Who's set from 2007 a week or so after the event.

Most of it wil be there but it would be a case of recording the sections and putting them back togeather. Glastonbury is great for the camera footage as the rediculous number of flags in the audience mean they get loads of close ups and fewer crowd shots.

Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: May 30, 2013 13:11

mr_c_ox
Usually the BBC show most if not all the show. Its not all at once, they seem to play large parts of it as part of the magazine style main show with large chunks on other days and times and the red button. I know that the U2 set was edited togeather by a fan and put on a torrent site. The BBC did show all (i think) of The Who's set from 2007 a week or so after the event.

Most of it wil be there but it would be a case of recording the sections and putting them back togeather. Glastonbury is great for the camera footage as the rediculous number of flags in the audience mean they get loads of close ups and fewer crowd shots.

I have alwasy wondered, but have never been affected by them and I understand it may be a local thing, so I have never said anything, so as not offend anyone, but now that it is brought up...

What IS the deal with promoters allowing those view blocking flags? If I was stuck behind one (or ten of them) it seems like it would suck. What purpose do they serve?

I know at a lot of events they dont even allow umbrellas in the rain so people dont/cant blocks other's view.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-05-30 13:13 by Max'sKansasCity.

Posted by: pike bishop ()
Date: May 30, 2013 13:53

With a bit of luck BBC will show it on the Red Button.If they do I"ll be ready and waiting,with a rigit digit poised over the record button.

Posted by: crumbling_mice ()
Date: May 30, 2013 14:19

At the 2011 it was asked that people didn't stand with flags. Some still did of course. They don't bother me as they are usually quite high and you can see from underneath. It does impact on TV though. I'm hoping they film the whole Stones set, so when I get back and have had a good long bath and recovered I can watch it in luxury!

Posted by: odean73 ()
Date: May 30, 2013 14:33

pike bishop
With a bit of luck BBC will show it on the Red Button.If they do I"ll be ready and waiting,with a rigit digit poised over the record button.

Fingers crossed for this.thumbs up

Date: May 30, 2013 15:59

The onloy danger is if they don't give them the rights to the full set. Blur did this a few years ago, but at least showed a good hour of the set. Bruce did the same at Rock in Rio, though they did show his Glastonbury set in its entirety.

Posted by: still ill ()
Date: May 30, 2013 16:08

[www.guardian.co.uk]

From the article

''BBC2 will be home to the festival's big acts, including this year's big headliners, the Rolling Stones, although it remains to be seen how much of the band's set the corporation will be able to broadcast with outstanding rights issues still to be settled''

So prepare for an evening of build up and about three songs again!

Date: May 30, 2013 17:36

If you follow this link from the BBC, it does suggest that all the main acts' full sets will be available.Glastonbury

Date: May 30, 2013 18:19

still ill
[www.guardian.co.uk]

From the article

''BBC2 will be home to the festival's big acts, including this year's big headliners, the Rolling Stones, although it remains to be seen how much of the band's set the corporation will be able to broadcast with outstanding rights issues still to be settled''

So prepare for an evening of build up and about three songs again!

I can see this being the case too. They are really missing a trick if they pursue this route, of holding onto rights just in case they have a shakey performance/or want to sell the show themselves after the event on dvd.

Posted by: GuessWho ()
Date: May 30, 2013 18:49

Many headliners at Glastonbury have clauses that prevent the live broadcast of their full set.

HOwEVER

The Who's full set was shown live......because I was recording it and kept waiting for them to cut away....they didn't.

Coldplay and Beyonce were broadcast in full a couple of years ago.

Springsteen's set was butchered with just over half the songs shown.

I suspect that the Stones will only allow a few songs to be shown BUT the BBC will not reveal this until the actual night just before they show the performance......usually they do this whilst you can hear the actual band playing live in the background!

Very frustrating!!!!

Posted by: Godxofxrock9 ()
Date: May 30, 2013 19:10

and it needs to be televised in us

Posted by: paulywaul ()
Date: May 31, 2013 07:31

Well just read THIS ............................. !!

[www.independent.co.uk]

[ I want to shout, but I can hardly speak ]

Posted by: TeddyB1018 ()
Date: May 31, 2013 08:16

When does this thread degenerate into "we only even want it free if Mick Taylor does the whole set?"

Date: May 31, 2013 08:53

paulywaul

[www.independent.co.uk]

I like it, the reference in the article to the glorious British summertime WEATHER .......... !! winking smiley

If there’s torrential rain it will play havoc with their performance and they want to sound and look at their best. There’s a lot of factors out of their control.”

Torrential rain was blamed for an underwhelming headline performance by U2 in 2011.

BV ......... how are you doing with your list of "waterproof" items ? Think "BERGEN" on the average day; i.e. absolutely pissing down with rain !!

Posted by: fingerlickz ()
Date: May 31, 2013 08:56

Date: May 31, 2013 09:04

Weather weather weather weather .......... bith bitch bitch moan moan moan

[www.dailymail.co.uk]

Posted by: Scooby ()
Date: May 31, 2013 09:26

It seems to me that a live dvd of the tour is in the offing. Loads of folk recording this for their own use and even more sharing on You Tube will undoubtedly hit potential sales.

Date: May 31, 2013 09:44

Scooby
It seems to me that a live dvd of the tour is in the offing. Loads of folk recording this for their own use and even more sharing on You Tube will undoubtedly hit potential sales.

I can't WAIT for the live DVD of this tour, hopefully it'll show us the more interesting bits, like stuff they haven't played relentlessly over and over again on every single tour, and it surely must include some of Mick Taylor's finer contributions. I'm unlikely to see any of the States shows, only Hyde Park 1 & 2. I was toying with the idea of going over and catching the last three, Philly 1 & 2 and DC, but not sure if I can be bothered really ...... I'll just wait till Hyde Park.

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: May 31, 2013 10:53

paulywaul

[www.independent.co.uk]

Excellent article, thanks for the link. All we need to know now is whether that Mark Cooper dude was able to "arw-twist" Mick into extending the current 4 song allotment due to end with "Gimme Shelter" (looks they've discussed the specifics if they know it's that song, or did the journalist look up current setlists?) ?

Stones Glasto Tv Coverage in doubt
Posted by: Adrian-L ()
Date: May 31, 2013 10:52

[www.independent.co.uk]

“If you start me up, I’ll never stop.” But the television cameras could be switched off after The Rolling Stones banned the BBC from broadcasting their eagerly-anticipated Glastonbury festival set in full.

The BBC was due to hold top-level discussions with Sir Mick Jagger on Thursday night in order to overcome an impasse which threatens to undermine the corporation’s promise to deliver the most comprehensive Glastonbury coverage yet seen.

The Stones’ Pyramid Stage headline performance on the festival’s Saturday night, a coup for the organisers, was expected to provide the BBC with one of the television highlights of the Summer.

The rock legends’ greatest hits set was due to be broadcast live on BBC Two, Radio 2 and online to millions of fans who could not get tickets for the festival.

However the Stones, who last year distributed a sold-out New York show to fans in a $40 pay-per-view deal, told the BBC that the corporation would not be allowed to screen more than a sample of their performance.

The BBC was told that at best, they could show the opening four songs of the band’s set. Then viewers would be told that the band had demanded a “black-out” of the rest of their performance.

The BBC, which is screening 250 hours of live music from Glastonbury online and through its programming, has been locked in negotiations with the band in a bid to extend their “hit allowance”.

The band is planning to release its own live DVD from their current 50 and Counting… tour. But control appears to be the sticking point as much as finance.

“Mick agreed to do Glastonbury for the fans who are there, he didn’t sign up for a TV show,” said a source. “It’s not about money. This show will go around the world. If there’s torrential rain it will play havoc with their performance and they want to sound and look at their best. There’s a lot of factors out of their control.”

Torrential rain was blamed for an underwhelming headline performance by U2 in 2011.

With the event less than a month away, Mark Cooper, BBC head of music television, has personally sought to assure Jagger that he can guarantee the best quality sound and visuals for a performance which could introduce the band to a new, younger audience.

“We are having an on-going discussion with the Stones. I’m talking to Mick about it tonight,” Cooper told the Independent. “At this point I’m quite optimistic we’ll get a sufficient amount of music.”

Insiders suggest that mounting excitement over the Glastonbury performance has persuaded the Stones to relax their restrictions.

Instead of a set cut short after Gimme Shelter, the band is prepared to allow one hour to be broadcast, which should give viewers a glimpse of "Honky Tonk Women". Whether the living room audience will climax with traditional set closer "Satisfaction", is still a matter for negotiation.

Mr Cooper is sympathetic to the concerns of a veteran band whose public appearances are tightly controlled. “I understand it is a risk for them. They are stepping out of their comfort zone,” he said.

“There’s an unpredictability, it’s not their natural audience. They are nervous about how much they should share. But when legendary artists play Glastonbury, they also attract a whole new, broader audience.”

The persuasive Cooper has a track record of arm-twisting superstars into handing over their hits to the BBC. “There’s always negotiations with the headliners,” he said. “Bruce Springsteen said he would only allow 25 minutes but the show went so well they gave us 90 minutes in the end. Blur didn’t want any filming at all but they allowed it in the end.”

The BBC hopes that Glastonbury’s move into the mainstream will encourage the Stones to play on. The corporation yesterday unveiled blanket coverage which includes slots on Songs Of Praise and The One Show.

Bob Shennan, the BBC’s controller of popular music, said the emergence of mainstream headline acts like Mumford & Sons meant that Glastonbury’s natural home for the biggest names had shifted to Radio 2. Radio 1 will focus on dance acts whilst Arctic Monkeys’ Friday headline set will be broadcast by 6 Music.

Utilising technological advances tested at last year’s Olympic Games, live streams will be available simultaneously from six different stages. More than 130 performances will be available on catch-up for 30 days.

Mr Shennan said he expected more than 20 million people to tune in at some point over the June 28-30 weekend.

Michael Eavis, who founded the event which was once associated with hippies and hedonism, will be interviewed on Songs Of Praise about his Methodist faith.

Date: May 31, 2013 11:19

I'm torn on this one..if I wasn't going to Glasto then I'd be screaming for them to show the whole show, but on the other hand the TV has taken something away from Glastonbury. Before the TV started covering it, it used to be a much more chilled out place and you didn't get the crazy demand for tickets etc. It has become too corporate and has priced out a lot of the people who used to go. Fingers crossed Jagger relents - if they pay him he will!

Re: Glastonbury TV broadcast
Posted by: nashville ()
Date: May 31, 2013 11:41

PR disaster in my opinion. The vast majority of the Glastonbury crowd don't go to see a particular artist, they are there for the event as a whole. Mick is deluded if he thinks he is going to play to a crowd of Stones fans. I'm sure they will put on a good show and the crowd will love it. His attitude only fuels all of the Stones bashers - too old, should have quit years ago, only interested in grabbing as much cash as they can etc.

Andy

Posted by: BowieStone ()
Date: May 31, 2013 12:00

nashville
Mick is deluded if he thinks he is going to play to a crowd of Stones fans.

Andy

No, he must be afraid of the fact that he wont be playing to a crowd of stones fans. And he doesn't want the world to see if it goes wrong.
I wouldn't know what can go wrong though. Bad mix?
The crowd will not boo them.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2013-05-31 12:02 by BowieStone.

Posted by: odean73 ()
Date: May 31, 2013 12:06

Out of their comfort zone, whats all that about?

Posted by: pike bishop ()
Date: May 31, 2013 12:20

Hi,just to let you all know,My preferance in regards recording the Stones is in Audio from the radio broadcast.If its a simulcast I"ll opt always for the audio.

Posted by: EddieByword ()
Date: May 31, 2013 13:53

This can't be about fears of a sub-par performance, after all they were happy enough to do the PPV world wide after only 4 'warm up shows'............and it was a brilliant show - even allowing for too many warhorses - the only other way it would go wrong is if people start throwing stuff at them, tomatoes, bottles etc. Their playing as well now as at the Isle of Wight 2007 where they were also a 'surprise' billing and it didn't happen there so.............

Although there was a gang of blokes sing "music for your dad,,,,music for your dad...
music for your d-a-a-d" during Tumbling dice but something like that's hardly gonna show up on TV is it?

What other factor is there to consider?..................Hmmmmmmmm

confused smiley .....wouldn't all this have been addressed when they signed up? Michael Eavis and Mick sign a deal without letting the BBC in on the detail? ................Hmmmm again.....

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 2013-05-31 16:26 by EddieByword.

Date: May 31, 2013 15:44

I accept they are worried about their performance but after 50 years at the top, what do they care what people think? They have so SO much more to gain than to lose by airing near full coverage from their show.

Its money as well, probably the bigger factor; exclusive rights for a dvd re-sale - which is ridiculous - to amount of revenue they would generate through back catalogue sales by televising the full gig were dwarf potential dvd sales to the same old fans.

And the PR/image for the band if they go-ahead with a black-out is only going to go one way - and that is it will damage the band. Regardless of sympathies from die hard fans who understand Mick might be wary of making mistakes live, it will be sold as 'out of touch - money grabbing - in it for the money-band. GREED.

I don't know if this forum has any influence, but if anyone who has any influence reads this, its worth considering, for all involved. For the old fans it brings back great memories, for the new (watching for the first time on the bbc) it brings new discoveries into the magic of The Rolling Stones.

And if they do the right thing, you can be assured the BBC will give them an unseen amount of build-up, advertising and coverage. Come on boys...It's Only Rock N Roll....

Goto Page: 1234567891011Next
Current Page: 1 of 11

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1166
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home