Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4
Mick Taylor Endured Rehab Before Rolling Stones Comeback
Posted by: 1962 ()
Date: May 29, 2013 14:47

[www.contactmusic.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-05-29 14:48 by 1962.

Re: Mick Taylor Endured Rehab Before Rolling Stones Comeback
Posted by: kowalski ()
Date: May 29, 2013 14:51

"I'd never done rehab properly in my life. It's a life-changing experience... But it can only really help you when you are ready to help yourself... I can only say that playing with them for 11 minutes each night completely re-energised me as a human being and as a performer. I loved it. The first show at (London's) O2 (Arena) I made a few mistakes, but the next two shows in Newark (New Jersey) were special. Me and Keith bonded incredibly well."

Posted by: 1962 ()
Date: May 29, 2013 14:53

The Rolling Stones - Mick Taylor Endured Rehab Before Rolling Stones Comeback
29 May 2013

The Rolling Stones star Mick Taylor spent more than a month at a rehabilitation clinic before rejoining the rockers for their 50th anniversary concerts.

The Brown Sugar hitmakers reunited last year (12) to celebrate their half-century, and they invited Taylor - who quit in 1974 and was replaced by Ronnie Wood - to perform on a couple of songs.

However, the veteran guitarist has now revealed he checked in to a rehab clinic for 35 days prior to his return to the stage, hinting he was ordered to shape up before the show.

He tells Mojo magazine, "I was actually in rehab, to be honest, for 35 days, and I kind of got shanghai'd (forced) out of there onto the stage."

Asked if the course of treatment had been a "stipulation" from the band, Taylor replies, "I would've done it anyway. I didn't wanna go on stage, unless I was feeling strong and proud. Which I did.

"I'd never done rehab properly in my life. It's a life-changing experience... But it can only really help you when you are ready to help yourself... I can only say that playing with them for 11 minutes each night completely re-energised me as a human being and as a performer. I loved it. The first show at (London's) O2 (Arena) I made a few mistakes, but the next two shows in Newark (New Jersey) were special. Me and Keith bonded incredibly well."

Taylor did not give any details of the nature of his treatment in the clinic.

Contactmusic

Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: May 29, 2013 15:04

It's very well visible that he is enjoying himself incredibly. The interaction with Keith is almost palpable. Those guys must have been missing each other enormously.

My guess is that Taylor will play more during the last shows in N. America and especially in the UK.

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: May 29, 2013 15:07

Bless his heart, good for Mick T. Another reason among many to be happy for this tour.

Much love to all the Stones. smiling smiley

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: May 29, 2013 15:15

Rehab is for wimps. >grinning smiley<

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: May 29, 2013 15:16

kleermaker
The interaction with Keith is almost palpable.

I think you're naive : if Keith had wanted MT back in the band in the 70's he would have acted accordingly. Think of what he did to put Bobby back in the Stones orbit despite Jagger's "nein".

Imo Keith resented even more than Jagger MT's flee from the band. Have you read that 1979 interview in which Keith implied MT was gay... (it was sth about drummer Mike Driscoll and Keith said to Phil Manoeuvre "he lives with him haha!" )

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-05-29 18:22 by dcba.

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: May 29, 2013 15:20

dcba
kleermaker
The interaction with Keith is almost palpable.

I think you're naive : if Keith had wanted MT back in the band in the 70's he would have acted accordingly. Think of what he did to put Bobby back in the Stones orbit despite Jagger's "nein".

Imo Keith resented even more than Jagger MT's flee from the band. Have you read that 1979 interview in which Keith implied MT was gay... (it was sth about drummer Mike Driscoll and Keith said to Phil Manoeuvre "he lives with him haha!")

Ridiculous dcba, what does anything Keith had to say in the 70's have to do with his feelings toward Mick T. today? Bobby is one of Keith's closest friends and Keith himself was in a completely different place then. You're the one who's being naive imo.

Posted by: Stones Blah ()
Date: May 29, 2013 16:10

Don't forget MT quit, Bobby didn't.

Posted by: Mel Belli ()
Date: May 29, 2013 16:54

Good for MT. Sounds like a personal as well as professional turnaround.

Posted by: MizzAmandaJonez ()
Date: May 29, 2013 17:14

Glad this finally came out. Seeing him in a sober environment must be inspiring to everyone who has ever struggled with any form of addiction.

If he can just tone down his enthusiasm on stage to some level between where fit in on stage in the 70s and where he fits in now, then hopefully the powers to be will keep giving him more chances to play.

In the 3 shows I've seen so far on this tour, his being on stage was not only the highlight, but it offered so much potential.

It creates a new level of excitement to think what would happen if he played more songs, or was involved in the creative process making new music.

One can only hope...

Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: May 29, 2013 17:51

hinting he was ordered to shape up before the show.

No the first time we have heard something like this, and it is no small feat. It is easy to say, but actually doing it is something else. I credit Mick Jagger for keeping it all going, sending the "hints", setting it all up.... getting it rolling.

And props to Mick Taylor for doing what he had to do, and in the end making untold numbers of Mick Taylor fans ecstatic.

Posted by: crawdaddy ()
Date: May 29, 2013 18:01

Good on yer Mick T.

Highlight of the tour so far was Staples 2,and highlights of the gig were the 3 guys on guitar.

More to come from Mick T and the boys I'm sure. winking smiley

Posted by: DoomandGloom ()
Date: May 29, 2013 18:12

He looks great, this is what friends do for one another and I applaud the band for reaching out and helping him. Perhaps there will be a Mick & Mick tour one day where they can stretch out on some rarities in smaller venues. I am over any demanding of more stage time for him, Keith rules his roost and they are putting out maximum effort.

Posted by: camper88 ()
Date: May 29, 2013 18:17

Silver Dagger
Rehab is for wimps. >grinning smiley<

Rehab is for quitters

On the internet nobody knows
you're Mick Jagger

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: May 29, 2013 18:34

aren't they all required by insurance regulations in the contract to have a physical, and be certified medically sound enough to meet the conditions specified in the contract...?

that would mean rehab if necessary, in order to tour..

Posted by: Rokyfan ()
Date: May 29, 2013 18:44

Max'sKansasCity

No the first time we have heard something like this, and it is no small feat. It is easy to say, but actually doing it is something else. I credit Mick Jagger for keeping it all going, sending the "hints", setting it all up.... getting it rolling.

And props to Mick Taylor for doing what he had to do, and in the end making untold numbers of Mick Taylor fans ecstatic.
does having small feet make rehab harder?

seriously, this article is for real? What did he get rehab for, did I miss that? Heroin addiction, a bum knee, something in between? And he really said the thing about the 11 minutes on stage? The whole thing sounds made up to me.

Posted by: rambler44 ()
Date: May 29, 2013 18:52

Well let's just hope he is sticking close to Ronnie off the stage. We all know how hard it is to stay sober being around Keith.As they were getting ready for the tour I remember Matt Lauer asking Ronnie if it is hard to stay sober around Keith and Keith chimed in "No one said it is easy being in the Rolling Stones!"

Posted by: DoomandGloom ()
Date: May 29, 2013 18:52

duke richardson
aren't they all required by insurance regulations in the contract to have a physical, and be certified medically sound enough to meet the conditions specified in the contract...?

Maybe as a "Guest" he doesn't need to fit the criteria. Thus his short stage time and status.

Posted by: NedKelly ()
Date: May 29, 2013 19:08

Having seen Taylor drunk as a skunk and totally out of it on numerous occasions, it certainly is a pleasure to see him now. Whatever the reason, musical, insurance, contracts, Jagger, I don´t care. Main thing is that he is playing with The Stones, in a good shape, and thereby getting public attention from tens of thousands of fans once more. A gigantic step from playing crappy blues clubs in little known small towns in Europe... It´s been so sad to see him sometimes, so I fully enjoy seeing him proud and joyful on a big stage to complete satisfaction from the crowd.
I wish him all the best. I hope he will stay sober, I hope they´re all good friends, I hope he will play some more songs, I hope he will get his fare share of the money, and most of all I hope he will be able to take care of himself and his career after this tour.
To me I think the list of songs he did recently, Sway, Knockin´, Rambler and Satisfaction is more or less the most we may hope for. Sure he could play All down the line, Sympathy, Shelter and so on, but the four listed is great. I don´t need any other "guests" if I get that in London.

Anyway, thumbs up for Taylors cleaning up.

Posted by: rambler44 ()
Date: May 29, 2013 19:13

NedKelly
Having seen Taylor drunk as a skunk and totally out of it on numerous occasions, it certainly is a pleasure to see him now. Whatever the reason, musical, insurance, contracts, Jagger, I don´t care. Main thing is that he is playing with The Stones, in a good shape, and thereby getting public attention from tens of thousands of fans once more. A gigantic step from playing crappy blues clubs in little known small towns in Europe... It´s been so sad to see him sometimes, so I fully enjoy seeing him proud and joyful on a big stage to complete satisfaction from the crowd.
I wish him all the best. I hope he will stay sober, I hope they´re all good friends, I hope he will play some more songs, I hope he will get his fare share of the money, and most of all I hope he will be able to take care of himself and his career after this tour.
To me I think the list of songs he did recently, Sway, Knockin´, Rambler and Satisfaction is more or less the most we may hope for. Sure he could play All down the line, Sympathy, Shelter and so on, but the four listed is great. I don´t need any other "guests" if I get that in London.

I have never seen him live other than at the Newark show. What are his solo shows like? Does he sing?

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: May 29, 2013 19:14

Good on everyone (except contactmusic, of course!)
He looks better/healthier than he has in decades, which is great to see.

Posted by: jamesfdouglas ()
Date: May 29, 2013 19:16

So THAT'S why he only played 2 songs and "sat in the corner" during Satisfaction. He went on a little horsey-ride. BAD Mick Taylor!

[thepowergoats.com]

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: May 29, 2013 19:27

Max'sKansasCity

thumbs up

Posted by: jamesfdouglas ()
Date: May 29, 2013 19:29

jamesfdouglas
So THAT'S why he only played 2 songs and "sat in the corner" during Satisfaction in Toronto after 4 songs in San Jose.... He went on a little horsey-ride. BAD Mick Taylor!

[thepowergoats.com]

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: May 29, 2013 20:41

duke richardson

The four Stones certainly, guests, probably not.

Well it's good to hear he took responsibility or was given a good reason to do it, let's hope it won't be a "Ron Wood"" approach to rehabs since he's been through at least 3...I must say I was quite shocked to hear from a fan that when Taylor played the New Morning (in 2009 ?) he was started the concert by lying on the floor seemingly passed out...

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2013-05-29 20:44 by gotdablouse.

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: May 29, 2013 21:06

gotdablouse
duke richardson

The four Stones certainly, guests, probably not.

Well it's good to hear he took responsibility or was given a good reason to do it, let's hope it won't be a "Ron Wood"" approach to rehabs since he's been through at least 3...I must say I was quite shocked to hear from a fan that when Taylor played the New Morning (in 2009 ?) he was started the concert by lying on the floor seemingly passed out...

is his official status a guest on this tour? i guess he's guest but its more like a touring sideman, like Bobby..

Posted by: paulm ()
Date: May 29, 2013 21:18

I think the article is bull. I've seen MT turn down drinks on stage so he can focus on his playing, then sip a pint after the show. Unless there is some unobserved drug involved, MT would not seem to have a drinking problem.

Posted by: crumbling_mice ()
Date: May 29, 2013 21:52

We don;t have all the information on this to make judgements. It may have been alcohol or it may have been drugs, it may have been both. Whatever it was for, it certainly worked and he does look much more together and his playing is getting better with each show.

Maybe this is the reason as to why he is limited to only performing on a few songs. Insurance comapnies can be very strict about these things and I would guess from his history he is a high risk. Hopefully he will stay clean and finish the tour, could be difficult with Keith around and the no doubt endless temptations that goes with a Stones tour. The biggest test for him will be when the tour ends - traditionally the time when substance misuse is used to fill the massive adrenaline gap. If he can avoid slipping back and continues to play as good if not better, he could end his career on a real natural high and get the financial rewards he deserves.

Posted by: NedKelly ()
Date: May 29, 2013 22:15

rambler44
NedKelly

I have never seen him live other than at the Newark show. What are his solo shows like? Does he sing?

Yes, he sings. But he was often drunk and uninspired. Now he seems to have fun and he seems to be sober and in good shape.

Goto Page: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1410
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home