Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT: Hanoi Rocks
Posted by: Jack Flash ()
Date: March 12, 2005 02:56

I've heard that this band sounds a bit like the Stones. Can anyone confirm this? And are they any good?

Re: OT: Hanoi Rocks
Posted by: Baboon Bro ()
Date: March 12, 2005 03:03

Sure; but N.Y. Dolls is 1000% better... Same genre...

A Swedish band called Wilmer X have restarted; they are - the core in the band - ab 45 y o - they are into a very heavy kind of rhytm & blues thing not far from the early Stones, but added the matureness of late Stones. This band has existed since mid-70´s... Newer and somewhat younger band, also from Sweden, is The Soundtrack Of Our Lives; very influenced by Stones, esp. Let It Bleed-period.

Returning to glam rock I´d recommend T Rex, early Bowie (esp rarities from Davy Jones-period), the Slade and Dolls. And Alice Cooper of course; and we mustnt forget Iggy & the Stooges.

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: March 12, 2005 03:06

Mud!

- Koen.

Posted by: Pserchia ()
Date: March 12, 2005 03:50

Hanoi Rocks was originally sharing tonight's bill at a club in L.A. with Ian Hunter, of Mott the Hoople fame. They disappeared from the bill several weeks ago, however, somewhat to my relief.

It's going to be the first time seeing ian Hunter with a full band. A few years back, he appeared at a record store in L.A. backed only by a second guitarist. Ian Hunter's recent studio album, titled Rant, is a delightful, minor masterpiece.

Date: March 13, 2005 16:33

Yeah, forgot Hoople and Mud, sorry...
Anyway its a bit aside from the the thread...
But I thought maybe the younger forum visitors have missed the glam era.
Myself I missed the two groups mentioned above.

Posted by: Dan ()
Date: March 14, 2005 01:06

Their last album Twelve Shots On The Rocks is thee best rock n roll album of the 21st Century. Sleazy, solid and not a bad song. I had tickets to the key Club show and was probably going to go to Santa Ana and Vegas and was quite depressed when the gigs got cancelled. Michael Monroe's 1989 solo album "NOt Fakin' It" is also worth getting.

Posted by: Child Of Clay ()
Date: March 14, 2005 09:57

Hanoi Rocks is arguably the greatest cult band in the rock & roll genre. They've suffered a lot from being unfairly stamped "Heavy Metal". They are just a flamboyantly dressed bunch of rockers.
Still the New York Dolls comparisons are lazy, if you listen to the two bands, you'll notice HR has a lot more in common with the Stooges and MC5. You'll have to add the Dead Boys, Damned and Clash to their list of influences to get some kind of an idea where they come from. I think the Stones comparison isn't fair either, it's just that the lead guitarist Andy McCoy idolizes Chuck Berry at least as much as Keith does.
However, Mick introduced Ron Wood as "London's answer to Andy McCoy" when the Stones played in Helsinki on the BTB-tour.

Date: March 14, 2005 09:58

I saw them in Oslo January 25. This is one of the top 3 gigs I've ever attended. Michael Monroe is a superb frontman and Andy McCoy is the guitar player the Stones could have needed.

Don't agree about NY Dolls. Hanoi has released so many good records, and is a superb live band, and the comparison is not just, Hanoi is in another league. David Johansen plays Little Red Rooster in small clubs now smiling smiley
"
Check them out. Get "Self Destruction Blues" (1982), Two Steps From The Move" (1984) and "Oriental Beat" (!982). Their last album "Twelve Shots On The Rocks" (2002) is also worth checking out. New album coming out March 28; "Another Hostile Takeover".

Also, check this site for trading:
[hem.passagen.se]

Date: March 14, 2005 10:23

Hey,

Seems like I - once again - got stuck with me head in a wasps´ nest.
Well, I have to admit Hanoi is too new, too recent for me.
I havent heard them much at all.
But... What´s wrong with Little red Rooster or David Johansen.
Where I come from we have made gods of Dolls; it´s Dope City, Mid-Sweden.
But we also hold MC5 and Stooges high.

Anyway, comparing these types bands semmes as meaningful as comparing Mick and keith. From where did Hanoi Rocks pick their name?

Date: March 14, 2005 10:42

no personal offense, bro. That would've been the case had you compared Hanoi and Motley Crue! winking smiley
I think you know where the name comes from, Chinese Rocks. There's that Johnny Thunders-link, but isn't it more of a Ramones-song? (I prefer Johnny's version).
whirled peas

Date: March 14, 2005 11:22

Yeah, Thunders...
I often come in wrong in these discussions; as I work a a Historian as my main profession. For me Dolls is glam, Hanoi retro yet early retro, but still...
Anything connected to Stooges, Iggy or Mc5 is still very interesting. In a rock 'n' roll 'genealogy' I s´pose Hanoi fit in very good.
Can anyone give me some starter tips for Hanoi: Where do I begin?

Date: March 14, 2005 12:06

Baboon, look at my earlier post in this thread.

<But... What´s wrong with Little red Rooster or David Johansen>

Nothing smiling smiley

But I think the glam outfit is the most Hanoi and NY Dolls have in common. Except for being friends and Hanoi covering some songs. Hanoi has their own style, and the guitars are as stones-ish as they get.

Date: March 14, 2005 12:21

I'd start at Back To Mystery City, there's a recent re-issue available. Since you're a historian, here's their time-line:
1980: Living in Stockholm (most of them homeless) first single "I Want You", this actually sounds quite a lot like the Stones...
1981: Bangkok Shocks, Saigon Shakes album
1982: Band moves to London, albums Oriental Beat and Self Destruction Blues (mainly a singles collection, some unreleased tracks)
1983: Back To Mystery City, bringing R&R to India and Israel
1984: Major deal signed with CBS, Two Steps From The Move starts climbing up the charts (20 UK), US-tour comes to a gruesome end when drummer Razzles dies in a car crash, driver: drunken Vince Neil.
1985: band decides to break up
then they spend 17 years trying (in vain) to start solo careers (Mc Coy plays guitar for Iggy Pop on a world tour brilliantly described in Alvin Gibb's book Neighborhood Threat). Singer Michael Monroe and McCoy aren't even in speaking terms tho' they've both relocated to Finland. Then a Hanoi box set is released, the Muddy Twins meet, and eventually re-start the band.
2003: Twelve Shots On The Rocks
2005: Another Hostile Takeover

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2005-03-14 12:23 by Child Of Clay.

Posted by: Bärs ()
Date: March 14, 2005 15:07

Andy McCoy in Stones? Please. Anyway, I live in the same town as Monroe (Åbo/Turku) and I see him now and then on the streets or in the shops. He's quite a funny dresser. He's even dedicated a little Seven eleven store a diploma saying it's his favorite store. Tough shit.

Date: March 14, 2005 16:00

smiling smiley I don't think McCoy would be healthy for Ronnie and Keith, but his qualities as a guitar player are worth having for any rock'n'roll band.

Posted by: humanriff77 ()
Date: March 14, 2005 21:08

I would have to agree about Andy Mccoy, just a great guitarist. The Instinct tour with Iggy is a legend amongst all my hardcore rock n roll buddies. The real shit......don't hear that so much anymore

Date: March 14, 2005 22:27

Thanks indeed, Child Of Clay!

I´ll go ahead with those early records for a starter.
I think I have some over-winterered glam friends deep down
in Shit Creek´s Dope City who might have some still not demolished record left by our Finnish heroes...

Posted by: Jack Flash ()
Date: March 19, 2005 20:28

I just got the 12 Shots On The Rocks CD and I think it's terrible. The singing is miserable and the lyrics are so bad it's comical. What a waste of money.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1442
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home