Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Memo to Stones...
Posted by: hbwriter ()
Date: May 28, 2013 20:45

my advice, for what it is worth (ie - zero)

You're the Rolling Stones. You don't need people voting on songs. You know what people want. So surprise us.

Special guests do not sell tickets. You want to do it? Fine. Just freaking do it without the silly unveiling.

Mick Taylor DOES sell tickets. Give him more to do. If there is one thing that unites Stones fans, it is that he is being underused.

Otherwise, everything else is awesome. You are still the best. You dazzle us every night. You have made our lives better. Always have, always will. Where the hell did you come from? Do you have any idea what you do to us?

love
chris

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-05-28 20:45 by hbwriter.

Re: Memo to Stones...
Posted by: proudmary ()
Date: May 28, 2013 20:58

hbwriter

You're the Rolling Stones. You don't need people voting on songs. You know what people want. So surprise us.

Special guests do not sell tickets. You want to do it? Fine. Just freaking do it without the silly unveiling.

Mick Taylor DOES sell tickets. Give him more to do. If there is one thing that unites Stones fans, it is that he is being underused.

Otherwise, everything else is awesome. You are still the best. You dazzle us every night. You have made our lives better. Always have, always will. Where the hell did you come from? Do you have any idea what you do to us?

love
chris

Absolutely!thumbs up

Posted by: camper88 ()
Date: May 28, 2013 21:11

Chris,

Good post, but the voting isn't for the Stones, it's for the fans.
It gives us a sense of control and a feeling that we're part of the show.

I used to teach film at university and I would have students every year telling me that I should teach this film or that film--rarely the ones that I was teaching. It was my own version of setlist bitching.

As a result, I began to use part of the first class of the year to ask the students to submit their 3 films that should be part of the class and that I would let them know which films would be added to the syllabus as a result of their submissions.

As you can imagine, there was no consensus or agreement amongst students on what films should be taught--so I was able to pretty much choose any of the films that were on their lists.

The result was that the students felt they had a sense of control and had a feeling that they were helping to put together the course material, and I never heard another student complain about the films on the course and how we should be studying Braveheart instead of Mean Streets.

On the internet nobody knows
you're Mick Jagger

Posted by: mickschix ()
Date: May 28, 2013 21:27

Well put, Chris!thumbs up Yes, surprise us Mick J with LET IT LOOSE in Boston---both nights!smoking smiley

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: May 28, 2013 21:31

true on all points

but especially true that Mick Taylor is being underused and that Stones fans want him to play more.

I would include Ronnie in that group of Stones fans. I don't doubt for a minute that he would be happy to have Taylor play more, especially on songs he originally played on

Posted by: hbwriter ()
Date: May 28, 2013 21:38

camper88
Chris,

Good post, but the voting isn't for the Stones, it's for the fans.
It gives us a sense of control and a feeling that we're part of the show.

I used to teach film at university and I would have students every year telling me that I should teach this film or that film--rarely the ones that I was teaching. It was my own version of setlist bitching.

As a result, I began to use part of the first class of the year to ask the students to submit their 3 films that should be part of the class and that I would let them know which films would be added to the syllabus as a result of their submissions.

As you can imagine, there was no consensus or agreement amongst students on what films should be taught--so I was able to pretty much choose any of the films that were on their lists.

The result was that the students felt they had a sense of control and had a feeling that they were helping to put together the course material, and I never heard another student complain about the films on the course and how we should be studying Braveheart instead of Mean Streets.

I still find it hokey - they know what works - shock us - stun us - you're a rock and roll band - slop it up just a bit - be semi-spontaneous

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-05-28 21:49 by hbwriter.

Posted by: camper88 ()
Date: May 29, 2013 07:16

hbwriter

I still find it hokey - they know what works - shock us - stun us - you're a rock and roll band - slop it up just a bit - be semi-spontaneous

I hear ya, but I was glad they played Rocks Off tonight.

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: May 29, 2013 10:06

hbwriter
Mick Taylor DOES sell tickets.

Right you are! This will be my first Stones show, and I'm going mainly because Mick Taylor will be with them.

Earlier this year I was short on cash and couldn't even think of buying a ticket, but luckily I was recently able to pull in more work after some client turnover (I'm a freelancer), so for a time I was thinking, 'Oh, they'll be around again, they always come around again'--but of course next time it won't be with Mick T.

Besides, maybe they won't be around again.

I made the same mistake with the Ray Manzarek/Robbie Krieger shows--missed them three times in a row in as many years when they played in my town, thinking 'Oh, they'll be back next year'--and now, Wham! Ray's gone, and I'll never see that show.

Time waits for no one, and you never know how impatient time can get....

Date: May 29, 2013 12:39

stonehearted
hbwriter
Mick Taylor DOES sell tickets.

Right you are! This will be my first Stones show, and I'm going mainly because Mick Taylor will be with them.

Earlier this year I was short on cash and couldn't even think of buying a ticket, but luckily I was recently able to pull in more work after some client turnover (I'm a freelancer), so for a time I was thinking, 'Oh, they'll be around again, they always come around again'--but of course next time it won't be with Mick T.

Besides, maybe they won't be around again.

I made the same mistake with the Ray Manzarek/Robbie Krieger shows--missed them three times in a row in as many years when they played in my town, thinking 'Oh, they'll be back next year'--and now, Wham! Ray's gone, and I'll never see that show.

Time waits for no one, and you never know how impatient time can get....

But you aren't "one of the masses", you are a hardcore fan.

Therefore, I don't think Taylor sells tickets in general, but he sure does for the die hards...

Posted by: fahthree ()
Date: May 29, 2013 13:43

Mick's "average fans" don't care about Mick Taylor. I wonder if Mick has considered losing Taylor when he sees blank faces on some of the fans as they wonder "who is this guy?".

Posted by: bigbitch ()
Date: May 29, 2013 16:28

hbwriter

love
chris

+1000

Posted by: bonddm ()
Date: May 29, 2013 16:32

fahthree
Mick's "average fans" don't care about Mick Taylor. I wonder if Mick has considered losing Taylor when he sees blank faces on some of the fans as they wonder "who is this guy?".
Like the blank faces when they did Can't You Hear Me Knocking?!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1496
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home