Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Camera Recommendations
Posted by: rlngstns ()
Date: May 27, 2013 15:27

any recommendaations for a decent small Camera to bring in to the show (aside from a lousy iphone i have). I have an old cannon powershot, but looking to upgrade...Any Thoughts? Thanks

Re: Camera Recommendations
Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: May 27, 2013 16:11

rlngstns
any recommendaations for a decent small Camera to bring in to the show (aside from a lousy iphone i have). I have an old cannon powershot, but looking to upgrade...Any Thoughts? Thanks

Watch at the concert video below...
See the zooming? It looks like a good concert camera.

Go read the comments on the actual Youtube page

www.youtube.com/watch?v=VhIJV1sBIMg

=====================
It's a Sony HX20V (small pocket camera). If you search YouTube, I did a review of this? and a few other cameras - search on "Best Digital Cameras for Live Music Concert Photos & Video? (Sony HX20V, Sony RX100, Fuji X100)".
================================
I pre-ordered? the new HX50V, so I will know pretty soon how it performs (and as long as it improved on the HX20V I'll be selling that one afterward). So I'll put up some info about the HX50V either way.
=========================================

If you can buy the camera he has, it looks like $100-400 used on ebay
[www.ebay.com]
If you buy the new version, coming soon, it looks like $450.

B&H can be a good source to buy new cameras online

[www.bhphotovideo.com]

[www.bhphotovideo.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-05-27 16:14 by Max'sKansasCity.

Posted by: Powerage5 ()
Date: May 27, 2013 16:17

I use a Canon S95 when I can't get my D-SLR into a show. Very compact, but very powerful for it's size. 3x optical zoom means it's most effective when used in close proximity. The big selling points for concerts though are that it sports a f/2.0 aperture lens (VERY wide for a point and shoot camera), and a full manual shooting mode. Here's a couple of my pictures from Toronto:

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: May 27, 2013 16:24

The Sony's are nice but they don't have very good audio, the best camera in that department is the Panasonic TZ-7 (I own one), the audio is absolutely terrific. The TZ-10 and TZ-20 that came after have better zooms and record in 1080p (720p only for the TZ-7) but the audio isn't as good for some reason.

For stills, some great pictures have been posted here with :
- Harald2002 pics [www.iorr.org] - don't know the camera, will ask again by email.
- Nikon P330 pics by Stoneslib [www.iorr.org]
- PaulyWaul - Canon G12 O2/29th
- Sony HX5V...mine from the Pit O2/25th (see link below) if I may say so myself ;-)

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Date: May 27, 2013 16:37

thank you all....

Date: May 27, 2013 16:40

i was taking pix with my iphone in the pit and they're just awful (should have known). a friend of mine has the samsung note II and i could not believe the shots he took (13 mp) ...thanks for all the info

Posted by: mickschix ()
Date: May 27, 2013 17:22

The bigger question is are they still searching for cameras on the way in....to take them away?? I have ALWAYS been hassled by guards for having my camera, and it is not a professional camera with detachable lenses etc. I just bought a tiny NIKON at Best Buy just for the Stones. Any thoughts?

Posted by: palerider22 ()
Date: May 27, 2013 17:32

Yeah...I plan on taking a Nikon DSLR...I suggest separating the lens from the body and 'hiding' them on yourself or with a friend. I've done it before (camera body in 'private' area, lens in leg sock)...but I've also been caught once. Take a point-and-shoot for backup. GL

Posted by: triplelicks ()
Date: May 27, 2013 18:56

Great thread! Thanks for any suggestions.

Posted by: toomuchforme ()
Date: May 27, 2013 19:03

Sony I have is with an excellent zoom 20x DSC H20. Great pics and videos for concert

"we know it's a bit late but we hope you don't mind if we stay"

Posted by: Grison ()
Date: May 27, 2013 19:48

I have a Canon G15 and the photos from London have been pretty impressive to most People in this Forum.
I took about 5000 photos in the 5 concerts we have been in CA and Vegas. Of course a lot are to be deleted. Some are shown in the Anaheim threat or I made a photobucket as I still don't know the uploading here. I just not a Freak. Everybody tells me about a number or so on the right edge of the photo to move that but I just don't get it.

Still the G15 is small and sensational as most of the G series.

Posted by: fleabitmonkey ()
Date: May 27, 2013 20:39

CANON G-15

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: May 27, 2013 21:52

This is a useful thread if you plan to buy a camera....thank you guys

Posted by: flacnvinyl ()
Date: May 27, 2013 22:02

I run a video production company and would HIGHLY recommend the Panasonic GH2 for video. The 14-140 lens is too big to get away with but I have my 14-42 X Panasonic lens (zoom on a dslr!) with me in Chicago. Once you modify your GH2 it opens up the camera and it starts shooting like an Arri cam. I use a small army of them for multicamera concert films!

Posted by: Alef ()
Date: May 27, 2013 22:12

The best small camera by a mile: Sony's RX100. Expensive though.

Posted by: 6s7s9s ()
Date: May 27, 2013 22:32

I have been using a Sony SX280. Have gotten some great shots.
Good zoom and records excellent video.

In Anaheim, they have had me empty my pockets...they saw the camera and didn't say a word.

Posted by: bv ()
Date: May 28, 2013 00:06

Just got a new camera for Toronto. Samsung EX2F. See the photos here:

[www.iorr.org]

Another sample - not published before:

Bjornulf

Posted by: trainarollin ()
Date: May 28, 2013 02:47

The Canon S95 is a great camera, they however no longer make it. I bought one just in time. The Canon G1X is fantastic point & shoot. It's a bit large, but still accepted as a point & shoot.

Posted by: Powerage5 ()
Date: May 28, 2013 03:26

trainarollin
The Canon S95 is a great camera, they however no longer make it. I bought one just in time. The Canon G1X is fantastic point & shoot. It's a bit large, but still accepted as a point & shoot.
Same, I got my S95 less than a month before they discontinued it.

Posted by: teleblaster ()
Date: May 28, 2013 14:37

Alef
The best small camera by a mile: Sony's RX100. Expensive though.

I agree. It's a great little camera. I've been using one since September, mainly for gigs. At F1.8 and a 20 megapixel sensor, it's a great low light camera and the image quality is in the DSLR ballpark. The trade-off is that the zoom range is limited and I've mainly used it from FOS at smaller gigs. I've only used it for stills as I don't do video.

It looks like a point and shoot, but what you get is a big camera (in terms of features and image quality) in a small body. I otherwise do mainly wildlife photography so using the RX100 is a great contrast to heavy lenses and bulky gear. It can also complement other camera gear - I've started using it along with my other gear as an alternative to a second DSLR with wide angle lens. I recently took a landscape shot with it (while on a wildlife shoot) which I got published in a national broadsheet.

I tend to take it everywhere with me and it's in my bag at my feet as I write this. It's a lot of fun.

Date: May 28, 2013 15:23

i'm always thinking that i'm going to be stopped and a camera won't go through...the apple iphone 5 just does not cut it, no matter how close you are. The RX100 is expensive, but great reviews...Thanks for all the info everyone, all the photos are amazing

Posted by: bv ()
Date: May 28, 2013 15:28

As long as your camera fits into your pocket you will be fine. They look for guns not cameras these days.

Bjornulf

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: May 28, 2013 15:46

you really got some fine Stones portraits. great job BV..

Date: May 28, 2013 15:48

Yeah, we haven't heard of anyone getting blocked with a compact (or otherwise) camera.

rlngstns
i'm always thinking that i'm going to be stopped and a camera won't go through...the apple iphone 5 just does not cut it, no matter how close you are. The RX100 is expensive, but great reviews...Thanks for all the info everyone, all the photos are amazing

Actually starting with the i.Phone 4S pictures got very decent but you have to be very close as any digital zooming will degrade the quality quickly, look at what I was able to post live for O2/25th last year using it : [tinyurl.com]

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2013-05-28 15:52 by gotdablouse.

Date: June 8, 2013 15:26

Some good pictures of TOR/2 here [www.iorr.org] shared by taken with a Sony DSC-H50

Date: June 24, 2013 13:02

gotdablouse
The Sony's are nice but they don't have very good audio, the best camera in that department is the Panasonic TZ-7 (I own one), the audio is absolutely terrific. The TZ-10 and TZ-20 that came after have better zooms and record in 1080p (720p only for the TZ-7) but the audio isn't as good for some reason.

For stills, some great pictures have been posted here with :
- Harald2002 pics [www.iorr.org] - don't know the camera, will ask again by email.
- Nikon P330 pics by Stoneslib [www.iorr.org]
- PaulyWaul - Canon G12 O2/29th
- Sony HX5V...mine from the Pit O2/25th (see link below) if I may say so myself ;-)

Adding to the list :
bv - Samsung EX2F - 3x zoom

Any more camera recommendations? Not sure about getting a new camera for Hyde Park, probably don't really need one, hehe...

--------------

Posted by: The Joker ()
Date: June 24, 2013 17:26

Max'sKansasCity
rlngstns

Watch at the concert video below...
See the zooming? It looks like a good concert camera.

Go read the comments on the actual Youtube page

www.youtube.com/watch?v=VhIJV1sBIMg

=====================
It's a Sony HX20V (small pocket camera). If you search YouTube, I did a review of this? and a few other cameras - search on "Best Digital Cameras for Live Music Concert Photos & Video? (Sony HX20V, Sony RX100, Fuji X100)".
================================
I pre-ordered? the new HX50V, so I will know pretty soon how it performs (and as long as it improved on the HX20V I'll be selling that one afterward). So I'll put up some info about the HX50V either way.
=========================================

If you can buy the camera he has, it looks like $100-400 used on ebay
[www.ebay.com]
If you buy the new version, coming soon, it looks like $450.

B&H can be a good source to buy new cameras online

[www.bhphotovideo.com]

[www.bhphotovideo.com]

Is it someone we know on 2'10" ?

Date: June 24, 2013 23:31

I was right Taylor pinched his famous jacket! But I think he said he was looking for that vid too, I'll ping him ;-)

Anyway that Sony HX20V sure looks like a nice upgrade compared to my HX5V, sound's not quite as good as on a Panasonic TZ7 though...

Oh one video that looks great too are these from PHILLY/2, doesn't say what camera it is though :-(

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2029
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home