Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
Track Talk: Neighbours
Posted by: René ()
Date: May 27, 2013 10:28

Comments, input and alterations are very welcome!
________________________________________________________________________________

Neighbours
(Mick Jagger / Keith Richards)

Pathé Marconi Studios (EMI Studios), Boulogne-Billancourt, Paris, France,
October 11 - November 12, 1980 and
Atlantic Studios, New York City, New York, US, April - June 1981

Mick Jagger - lead vocals, backing vocals
Keith Richards - electric guitar, backing vocals
Charlie Watts - drums
Bill Wyman - bass
Ron Wood - electric guitar
Ian Stewart - piano
Sonny Rollins - saxophone
Jennifer McLean - backing vocals
Susan McLean - backing vocals

Neighbours, neighbours, neighbours
Neighbours, have I got neighbours
Have I got neighbours, all day and all night
Neighbours, have I got neighbours
Ringing my doorbells, all day and all night
Ladies, have I got crazies
Screaming young babies, no piece and no quiet
I got T.V.'s, saxophone playing
Groaning and straining, with the trouble and strife

Is it any wonder, is it any wonder, is it any wonder that we fuss and fight
Neighbours, do unto strangers, do unto neighbours
What you do to yourself, yourself, yourself, yourself, yourself

Is it any wonder, is it any wonder, is it any wonder that we fuss and fight
Neighbours, do unto strangers, do unto neighbours,
What you do to yourself, yourself, yourself, yourself
Neighbours, neighbours, neighbours, neighbours

Neighbours, neighbours, neighbours, neighbours
Neighbours, do yourself a favour
Don't you mess with my baby, when I'm working all night
You know that neighbours
Steal off my table, steal off my table
And doing alright, alright, alright, alright
Neighbours, do unto strangers, do unto strangers
What you do to yourself, yourself, yourself
Your, your, your, your, your, your, your, your, your, your, your, your, alright

Produced by The Glimmer Twins

First released on:
The Rolling Stones - “Tattoo You” LP
(Rolling Stones Records COC 16052) US, August 18, 1981

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-05-27 12:40 by René.

Re: Track Talk: Neighbours
Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: May 27, 2013 10:35

This is more like it - a loud, snotty in your face rocker that just spits attitude and defiance. Just when you thought the old rock and roll rebels were growing and becoming, er, respectable up we get this delicious punk inspired slice of adult delinquancy.

And yes, I've resorted to putting my speakers against walls of various places I've lived in to vent my feelings. A classic!

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: May 27, 2013 10:51

Funny Video to so so song....---...---uuu

2 1 2 0

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: May 27, 2013 12:00

About the only cut in TATTOO YOU I would call a filler, but without it the album would have been weaker. It suits there, it needs to be there. That's the funny function of "good" fillers. A bit like "Lies" in SOME GIRLS. Or, say, many EXILE cuts.

The melodic idea of "Send It To Me" re-circled with a punk attitude?

Anyway, they don't do such beautiful, crazy noise any longer these days... Damn those drums are upfront... "Get Off of My Cloud" meets Pathe Marconi? Charlie Watts and His Rolling Stones..grinning smiley

- Doxa

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2013-05-27 12:08 by Doxa.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: May 27, 2013 12:06

And yeah, we have to remember that it is seemingly one of Bob Dylan's favourites... and there is not just Mick, Keith, Ron and Charlie, but the "bass player" as well...grinning smiley

- Doxa

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: May 27, 2013 12:29

Perfection, simply amazing! One of their best. The lyrics are timeless (and so many times represent perfectly my thoughts on what happens around me!). The chorus has THAT punk wtf attitude. The guitarwork is stellar, from Keith's heavy rhythm, Ronnie's counter rhythm and MONSTER solo. Watts rules, Bill swings, Ian is a wild boogie man and as if one MONSTER solo was not enough, here we have a second MONSTER SOLO by no one else than mr SONNY ROLLINS!!!

C

Posted by: Blueranger ()
Date: May 27, 2013 13:28

Send It To Me sped up...

Posted by: bustabutton ()
Date: May 27, 2013 13:31

Listen to those slinky bass lines!
Man, I miss Bill!

Posted by: LieB ()
Date: May 27, 2013 15:26

Average songwriting from a good Stones era.

Posted by: tomcasagranda ()
Date: May 27, 2013 15:32

Great song: the live versions from Live Licks, Hampton, and Roundhay are also pretty good too.

Posted by: tomcasagranda ()
Date: May 27, 2013 15:33

PS: the video based on Rear Window is excellent.

Posted by: lazzzybones ()
Date: May 27, 2013 16:34

Snare sound gets a bit annoying to mine ears.

Posted by: The Mez ()
Date: May 27, 2013 16:43

Love the take on Live Licks good fun song as well. MEZ

Posted by: uhbuhgullayew ()
Date: May 27, 2013 16:58

One of my favorites from TY.

The video was worse than Let's Work.

Posted by: drewmaster ()
Date: May 27, 2013 17:05

A rollicking track that (along with Hang Fire) somehow doesn't quite attain the brilliance and majesty of the rest of Tattoo You. Still, it fits in perfectly... a last burst of adolescent rowdiness before a stunningly transcendent Side 2.

Drew

Date: May 28, 2013 07:35

Really fun, hyper RnR track of the type they were doing during that era--fits really well with "Where The Boys Go," "Lies," "Hangfire" and "Summer Romance."

Posted by: flacnvinyl ()
Date: May 28, 2013 08:19

The best version ever done was opening night in 2002. Wish they would release a pro mix of that performance.

Posted by: Thrylan ()
Date: May 28, 2013 08:20

Doxa
About the only cut in TATTOO YOU I would call a filler, but without it the album would have been weaker. It suits there, it needs to be there. That's the funny function of "good" fillers. A bit like "Lies" in SOME GIRLS. Or, say, many EXILE cuts.

Anyway, they don't do such beautiful, crazy noise any longer these days... Damn those drums are upfront... "Get Off of My Cloud" meets Pathe Marconi? Charlie Watts and His Rolling Stones..grinning smiley

- Doxa

Dead on. Not the strongest track....and that's the point. Charlie is way up in front, kind of pushing it.

Posted by: Title5Take1 ()
Date: May 28, 2013 08:34

Hard to beat Sonny Rollins. He played on multiple tracks on TATTOO YOU and I saw him live a few years ago and he was great, but he doesn't get much of a nod on this board (the above post praising him excepted). I'd trade him for Gram Parsons any day.

When Rollins overdubbed his parts, Mick asked him, "Do want me to do anything?" Rollins said, "Dance." So Mick danced in front of Rollins as he played sax. Mick said, "When I'd move my shoulder or whatever it maybe gave Rollins an idea of what to play." I wish the Stones had video cameras capturing that recording session, like they have many since, because I'd love to see footage of that duo: Mick dancing + Rollins playing.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-05-28 08:41 by Title5Take1.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: May 28, 2013 08:38

Least favorite track on TY. Didn't care for Black Limousine until I heard it stretched out on stage on the Hampton DVD. Same with Dancing With Mr. D after hearing it on Brussels bootleg. (The real bootleg). There's something unappealingly throw away about it, like Lies from Some Girls.

Date: May 28, 2013 08:44

24FPS
Least favorite track on TY. Didn't care for Black Limousine until I heard it stretched out on stage on the Hampton DVD. Same with Dancing With Mr. D after hearing it on Brussels bootleg. (The real bootleg). There's something unappealingly throw away about it, like Lies from Some Girls.

Hate to thread cross here, but, aren't you glad you heard live BL and DWMD? You got turned on. Would you realy trade that experience for TD,SMU,HTW,Satifactiom.....etc.

Date: May 28, 2013 08:47

Title5Take1
Hard to beat Sonny Rollins. He played on multiple tracks on TATTOO YOU and I saw him live a few years ago and he was great, but he doesn't get much of a nod on this board (the above post praising him excepted). I'd trade him for Gram Parsons any day.

When Rollins overdubbed his parts, Mick asked him, "Do want me to do anything?" Rollins said, "Dance." So Mick danced in front of Rollins as he played sax. Mick said, "When I'd move my shoulder or whatever it maybe gave Rollins an idea of what to play." I wish the Stones had video cameras capturing that recording session, like they have many since, because I'd love to see footage of that duo: Mick dancing + Rollins playing.

Say that again......You would trade the man who invented the Country Rock genre for Sonny Rollins? Wow

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: May 28, 2013 08:49

None of those "if you like that, you will like this" arguments ever work on me. I hate Lies, but I love Neighbours.

For non-Londoners, "trouble and strife" is Cockney rhyming slang for "wife". Adds an extra level of meaning to that line.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: May 28, 2013 08:55

Thrylan
24FPS

Hate to thread cross here, but, aren't you glad you heard live BL and DWMD? You got turned on. Would you realy trade that experience for TD,SMU,HTW,Satifactiom.....etc.

Well, both BL and DWMD were played as part of the albums being promoted at the time. I like hearing certain songs at a Stones concert, especially JJF and I like the way they're playing Satisfaction this go round. Tumbling Dice is tired and not a major war horse to begin with. But SMU and HTW can still be pretty cool live. I tell you where they can make an adjustment is SFTD. I'm telling you, the audience is tired of it. I felt that when I was there. They're almost forcing us to listen to it. (It must be in Mick's contract).

Of course I'd like more variation. What's wrong with Rocks Off? How about turning the crowd on by sitting down on pillows and performing Heaven? (Never done live?) They don't have the swing (Bill) to play Hey Negrita. (Which is ironic. How did the Rolling Stones find the only black bass player on earth without swing?) There's a ton of songs that shouldn't be that hard for them to work in. And they always have the foolproof audience pleasers to bookend them with.

Date: May 28, 2013 09:02

Rocks Off is great, but like HTW and TD, the horn vamp at the end is very, very Vegas. I know HTW isn't going anywhere, ever. Negrita would be awesome. Nailed it on SFTD. The post 89' "studio re-creation" is horrible. About the only guitar you hear is Keith screwing up the solo.....EVERY TIME.

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: May 28, 2013 10:56

Oh my God, I've just noticed that Sue and Jenny McLean are doing backing vocals. Sue and Jenny were two pretty posh London sisters I used to see at parties around 1973-74 and went to the same school as my 1st proper girlfriend.

They got to know the rock star crowd such as The Who and were known for having affairs with the likes of Bryan Ferry and Eric Clapton. They then started a catering company for the the rock and roll fraternity. Never knew they made it onto a Stones song though.

Some info about Jenny and her affair with Eric Clapton here.

[www.dailymail.co.uk]

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: May 28, 2013 11:11

Not much of a song but great video and to this day I still absolutely love it when Charlie comes rollicking in!

Date: May 28, 2013 16:16

bustabutton
Listen to those slinky bass lines!
Man, I miss Bill!

thumbs up

Darryl is technically thousand light years from Bill. OK.

Darryl played with Miles Davis. Ok.

But the deep, hot, lecherous, enigmatic, spicy, deep,lewd,slinky, sinuous sound of Bill is missing.

Posted by: Turner68 ()
Date: September 14, 2015 17:45

Thrylan
Doxa

- Doxa

Dead on. Not the strongest track....and that's the point. Charlie is way up in front, kind of pushing it.

i agree with these assessments. am i the only one who thinks that this also slightly foreshadows a number of tracks on the Undercover album?

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: September 14, 2015 18:02

Pretty fun foray into party boy rock. Love the sax solo and hate the drum sound. Not one of my favorite Stones tunes but somehow one I don't mind. I smile thinking that if this tune was on Keith's new record it would be more widely accepted. winking smiley

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2000
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home