Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 5 of 36
Re: The Greatest Ron Wood Solos
Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: April 17, 2014 18:08

TheGreek
CYHMK off of love you live . that to me is ronnie's best solo !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No way! (not on the record, not in the setlist)

Shattered Hampton 1981.
Little T&A Tempe (?) 1981 (Lets spend the night together, film)

Posted by: Cafaro ()
Date: April 17, 2014 18:11

TheGreek
CYHMK off of love you live . that to me is ronnie's best solo !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wrong song or wrong tour. CYHMK was not played live by the Stones in the 70s. I do believe the New Barbs did a medley with the riff but I'm not sure of the circumstances or if I'm even right about the band, timing, etc.

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: April 17, 2014 19:05

Cafaro
TheGreek
YCAGWYW off of love you live . that to me is ronnie's best solo !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wrong song or wrong tour. CYHMK was not played live by the Stones in the 70s. I do believe the New Barbs did a medley with the riff but I'm not sure of the circumstances or if I'm even right about the band, timing, etc.

Posted by: PhillyFAN ()
Date: April 17, 2014 19:56

Ron Wood was really great in the Faces. He could be more creative, did a great deal of his own writing. Stewart and Wood made great music. In the Stones he was left to recreate Mick Taylors solo's (nearly impossible) and constantly criticized for it. He is an example of Ron without the Stones. Here he is with the remnants of the Faces in this video. Enjoy.

Date: April 17, 2014 22:15

Well, he co-wrote Hey Negrita, Everything Is Turning To Gold, Dance and Black Limousine...

Posted by: PhillyFAN ()
Date: April 18, 2014 03:49

DandelionPowderman
Well, he co-wrote Hey Negrita, Everything Is Turning To Gold, Dance and Black Limousine...

That's true. But not the writing success he had with Rod Stewart, and not that much co-writing for the amount of years in the group. I think Ronnie is underrated and always unfairly compared to Taylor. True Mick Taylor was a genius and is brilliant but he and Ronnie play completely different styles and sound. Love them both, I just get tired of Ronnie bashing.

Posted by: sonomastone ()
Date: April 18, 2014 12:59

i think his best lead guitar work was on "stay with me"

Posted by: DoomandGloom ()
Date: April 18, 2014 13:58

I love "Start Me Up", it's Ron's highlight in the show. He played a great "Tumbling Dice" solo at one of the O2 shows. "Stay With Me" as mentioned is his best recorded work. He does great stuff on early Brian Jones era material and all of us know too well what songs and solos he fakes consistently, This topic is baiting to say the least, as I've written before, much of the fuss over Taylor is because Wood fails to be outstanding in the spotlight guitar moments which would be easy picking for players like Peter Frampton, Eric Clapton, David Gilmore, Peter Green and other British virtuosos. Wood is at his best when the band is shaky but as they grow more confident, as they have in the past year, he is unable to step it up or sometimes keep up.

Posted by: mudbone ()
Date: April 18, 2014 15:43

Doxa
RockinJive
Mathijs
RockinJive
Mathijs
The greatest Ron Wood solo’s:

Midnight Rambler – MSG, June 27, 1975.
You Can’t Always Get What You Want – LA, July 13, 1975
Gimme Shelter – LA, July 13, 1975
Neighbours – studio version
Black Limousine – Hampton, December 18, 1981
Beast of Burden – Hampton, December 18, 1981
Wild Horses – Knebworth 1976
Sympathy for the Devil – LA, July 9, 1975
Love in Vain – Memphis, June 28, 1978

Mathijs

I guess you live in the past. They HAVE done a few more shows after 1981.

That's correct, they did the 1982 tour after 1981. After that I stopped listening.

Mathijs

You seem very ignorant. You live in the past and that is sad. Very closed minded.

Stubborn, opinionated yes, but ignorant he is not, our Mathijs!grinning smiley

. Doxa

I think he's a dick. he's obv some guitar player who wishes he had some real soul. only the greats do..ron wood is one of 'em. His constant bashing of the stones after '81 is a testament of just that...he can't appreciate it bcause he can't feel it. So...who the @#$%& cares?? ell, he does...but he tries to rationalize everything compensating for his lack of real soul....deep down inside he knows it too.

Just a burnt out fan boy who irritates the shite out of me tbh.

Posted by: Bastion ()
Date: April 18, 2014 16:16

I don't listen to Ronnie's solos for technicality; he's at his best when his 'solo' compliments and blends with the groove of the rest of the band:

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: April 18, 2014 19:50

Posted by: Cafaro ()
Date: April 18, 2014 20:49

mudbone
Doxa
RockinJive
Mathijs
RockinJive
Mathijs

Mathijs

That's correct, they did the 1982 tour after 1981. After that I stopped listening.

Mathijs

You seem very ignorant. You live in the past and that is sad. Very closed minded.

. Doxa

I think he's a dick. he's obv some guitar player who wishes he had some real soul. only the greats do..ron wood is one of 'em. His constant bashing of the stones after '81 is a testament of just that...he can't appreciate it bcause he can't feel it. So...who the @#$%& cares?? ell, he does...but he tries to rationalize everything compensating for his lack of real soul....deep down inside he knows it too.

This is sad. Really....how can you say such things about a person that you don't even know? Most unfortunate! To attack someone over something as Inconsequential (in the big scheme of life) as Ron Wood's playing shows a lack of soul, class and intelligence my brother.

Personally, I know where he is coming from because if one compares the overall Stones sound that many of us have to come to know and love, one will find that their sound and groove have simply not lived up to what they did prior to 1983. Ronnie's playing has become progressively less "Woody" and more KR. There are many factors for this. The Stones themselves have openly admitted that they rely less on "feel" for their live playing than in the past.
I think 99% will agree that RW's best years were 1971-1978.

Posted by: sonomastone ()
Date: April 18, 2014 21:07

mudbone
Doxa
RockinJive
Mathijs
RockinJive
Mathijs

Mathijs

Mathijs

. Doxa

don't confuse passion for something with being a dick, or an artistic judgement with "lack of soul".

Posted by: mudbone ()
Date: April 19, 2014 12:46

Redhotcarpet
video: [www.youtube.com]

meh..I don't know. This guy really rubs me the wrong way. Ron wood saved the rolling stones. He's the only who could have in fact. Also, I think he keeps the band edgy..with his ragged solo's. Imagine two more decades of taylor...hahaha

or clapton...muhahahaha.

They are great but Ron Wood is hip baby! and that's rock and roll and a big part of why the stones are still relevant.

that's the grand scheme of things...not looking back all the time saying...oh, now they are crap but they used to be great. Sure, they had their peak. prob '81.

But fact is no band even comes close to them live or on record....up till they call it a day. I can't believe so called fans seem to forget this. Obv nothing stays the same brother..but the stones just get better and better. It only takes some perspective, i guess that's what he is missing. My choice of words was a bit harsh yes, sorry

Date: April 19, 2014 13:33

Ronnie's solo on GS from the official LA Friday release is my ultimate favourite by all the Stones' guitarists.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: April 19, 2014 13:55

Redhotcarpet

Thanks, brother. That clip get me out of my hangover...

The Rolling Stones Touring Band 1981/82 AD is probably the most unique sounding rock and roll band ever existed... Some features they had then, and into which they sololely relied on then, had never before or ever since so present. And there is no any other rock and roll band in the world who would even closely sound like that. The whole sound world, the loosiness, the groove, the rawness, the spontaneous touch to anything in music... a rock and roll simply can't go any further in that direction or it will collapse big time...I can understand why they - at least Jagger and Wyman - weren't too satisfied how they sounded like then, the danger factor probably started to go to nerves, and why rather many non-Stones-trained ears might find that particular period and sound a bit too tough and cacophonic one to stomach... But I think the Stones achieved something essential - be it good or not - then, which was then quickly gone for good. Some kind of extreme statement how a living and breathing rock and roll band sounds like. It was probably too organic to survive the 80's. Kids, don't try that at home!

- Doxa

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2014-04-19 14:01 by Doxa.

Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: April 19, 2014 14:49

Doxa
Redhotcarpet

The Rolling Stones Touring Band 1981/82 AD is probably the most unique sounding rock and roll band ever existed... Some features they had then, and into which they sololely relied on then, had never before or ever since so present. And there is no any other rock and roll band in the world who would even closely sound like that. The whole sound world, the loosiness, the groove, the rawness, the spontaneous touch to anything in music... a rock and roll simply can't go any further in that direction or it will collapse big time...I can understand why they - at least Jagger and Wyman - weren't too satisfied how they sounded like then, the danger factor probably started to go to nerves, and why rather many non-Stones-trained ears might find that particular period and sound a bit too tough and cacophonic one to stomach... But I think the Stones achieved something essential - be it good or not - then, which was then quickly gone for good. Some kind of extreme statement how a living and breathing rock and roll band sounds like. It was probably too organic to survive the 80's. Kids, don't try that at home!

- Doxa

Were you at one of those concerts Doxa? I guess not. I was. And it was NOT good!

Date: April 19, 2014 15:22

kleermaker
Doxa
Redhotcarpet

- Doxa

Were you at one of those concerts Doxa? I guess not. I was. And it was NOT good!

No, was not, my friend, but STILL LIFE, LET'S SPEND THE NIGHT TOGETHER, HAMPTON, LEEDS and countless bootlegs do the talking for me! I think the difference in taste becomes from the fact that the band sounded pretty different in 1981/82 than it did, say, in Taylor years. So if you have that early 70's band as a criterion for greatness, 1981/82 reincarnation might have some problems. I over-all think that the Taylor reincarnation is easiest to stomach by general rock audience, since they speak so universally recognizable language, but the 1981/82 (and 1978 included) is more authentic sounding in its uniqueness. One needs a special ear to really appreciate that (if one became a fan then and learned to appreciate the band via that, like me, it comes by nature). It is so different compared to, say, 1972 or 1989 incarnations. It could be tempting to say that the 1981/82 is more "Stonesy", but that's not true - it is just a different version of the idea that has changed and evolved through the years. I love and appreciate that variance!

- Doxa

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2014-04-19 15:26 by Doxa.

Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: April 19, 2014 15:55

Doxa
kleermaker
Doxa
Redhotcarpet

- Doxa

No, was not, my friend, but STILL LIFE, LET'S SPEND THE NIGHT TOGETHER, HAMPTON, LEEDS and countless bootlegs do the talking for me! I think the difference in taste becomes from the fact that the band sounded pretty different in 1981/82 than it did, say, in Taylor years. So if you have that early 70's band as a criterion for greatness, 1981/82 reincarnation might have some problems. I over-all think that the Taylor reincarnation is easiest to stomach by general rock audience, since they speak so universally recognizable language, but the 1981/82 (and 1978 included) is more authentic sounding in its uniqueness. One needs a special ear to really appreciate that (if one became a fan then and learned to appreciate the band via that, like me, it comes by nature). It is so different compared to, say, 1972 or 1989 incarnations. It could be tempting to say that the 1981/82 is more "Stonesy", but that's not true - it is just a different version of the idea that has changed and evolved through the years. I love and appreciate that variance!

- Doxa

I did like the 1976 show I attended more, even though it couldn't touch the 1973 experience, which was unique in the history of the Stones.
Of course I know Still Life and the LSTNT, but I never listen to them anymore. When I saw the latter I couldn't keep my attention straight. It sounds all so cold to me, not 'stonesy' at all, but the lack of subtlety is just astounding.

Date: April 19, 2014 16:09

"I did like the 1976 show I attended more, even though it couldn't touch the 1973 experience, which was unique in the history of the Stones.
Of course I know Still Life and the LSTNT, but I never listen to them anymore. When I saw the latter I couldn't keep my attention straight. It sounds all so cold to me, not 'stonesy' at all, but the lack of subtlety is just astounding."

The 1976 incarnation was still pretty much similar to 1973 one, even though a bit raunchier I think. Wood was still more or less just filling Taylor's shoes, and the 'ancient art of weaving' was not yet born. Wyman was not either so crazy as he would be in 1978/82.

I do understand your perspective on "lack of sublety" of 1981/82, though. I also sometimes feel like there is some kind of cold feel there - like they don't have a certain emotional touch to their music, but play it by some kind of mechanical autopilot. But the autopilot in question is still so organic and vital, almost like an animal of its own, that it doesn't reallly matter. The biggest problem I sometimes have is Jagger's vocals. Sometimes that low and loud and sloppy and aged horse-sound fits well, but sometimes it sounds just bad...

- Doxa

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2014-04-19 16:11 by Doxa.

Posted by: Sam4741 ()
Date: April 19, 2014 19:08

If LSTNT or Still Life feels too cold or too polished, keep in mind that they were both heavily edited and overdubbed. If you listen to the Leeds '82 bootleg with no editing, you get a bit more of that classic Stones sloppiness. Same goes for Hampton '81.

Date: April 19, 2014 19:21

Sam4741
If LSTNT or Still Life feels too cold or too polished, keep in mind that they were both heavily edited and overdubbed. If you listen to the Leeds '82 bootleg with no editing, you get a bit more of that classic Stones sloppiness. Same goes for Hampton '81.

And the unedited LSTNT from Still Life is of course on the Hampton release.

Pointless overdubs, imo.

Posted by: Phil Good ()
Date: April 19, 2014 19:24

Ronnie played some good stuff with The Faces. Something was really good, yes - but not really great.
I can't remember anything he did with the Stones that can compete against the solos Mick Taylor or Keith did in their heydays.
Just my humble opinion.

Phil

Posted by: Powerage ()
Date: April 19, 2014 19:27

Ronnie is more a rhythmic filler than a soloist. Once and for all.
Love the guy, but nothing compare with Taylor...(Sway, CYHMK, Love in Vain, SFM, Chuck Berry tunes, MR, the comparaison is painful...).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-04-19 19:28 by Powerage.

Date: April 19, 2014 19:33

Phil Good
Ronnie played some good stuff with The Faces. Something was really good, yes - but not really great.
I can't remember anything he did with the Stones that can compete against the solos Mick Taylor or Keith did in their heydays.
Just my humble opinion.

Phil

I guess you haven't heard GS on the official LA Friday, then..

Posted by: Sam4741 ()
Date: April 19, 2014 19:40

Ronnie's best years on general with the Stones were from '75-'82. All his most memorable solos were during that span IMO, and "the ancient art of weaving" was in full force. Since '89, it seems that Ronnie has taken a much more backseat role to Keith, which doesn't make much sense to me considering that Keith has been in technical decline since then.

Date: April 19, 2014 19:40

DandelionPowderman
Sam4741

And the unedited LSTNT from Still Life is of course on the Hampton release.

Pointless overdubs, imo.

Odd thing is that, according to Wyman, Jagger wanted to re-record all the band performances in studio for STILL LIFE, but the rest didn't agree with. Thankfully.

- Doxa

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: April 19, 2014 19:45

His solo in Dead Flowers that is on STRIPPED is excellent.

Of course, the 1989/90 solo for Start Me Up (for the most part - he's destroyed it ever since).

Saint Of Me, Don't Stop...

Posted by: Powerage ()
Date: April 19, 2014 20:06

1975... eye rolling smiley

DandelionPowderman
Phil Good
Just my humble opinion.

Phil

I guess you haven't heard GS on the official LA Friday, then..

Date: April 19, 2014 20:14

Listen to it, and come back. Oh, wait, you'll have to buy it first...

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 5 of 36

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1891
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home