Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 4 of 36
Re: The Greatest Ron Wood Solos
Posted by: Markdog ()
Date: May 28, 2013 02:22

Listen to Handsome Girls start to finish, this is the best RW ever.

Posted by: Wuudy ()
Date: May 28, 2013 03:20

Hear hear Markdog!!!

Cheers,
Wuudy

Posted by: TimeIs ()
Date: May 28, 2013 03:40

Mathijs
Wood does both solo's on Black Limo. What you see in the movie is Keith adding a fill underneath Wood's solo.

Mathijs

Wow! Here I was thinking all these 30 years that that was one of Keith's best solos ever! Kudos Ronnie.

When I saw that movie when it first came out, with gigantic speakers in the cinema (much louder than most concerts I've attended - completely deaf afterwards), it actually beat out the real thing when I saw them live years later! Nothing matches those first thrills.

Posted by: TimeIs ()
Date: May 28, 2013 03:52

Doxa
Actually that film, and both Keith and Ronnie's job in them, was an eye-opening experience for me at back at the day. That's was the closest thing me - just born fan - could have of Rolling Stones live concert at the time. I think that film alone changed my idea what playing the guitar was all about. The whole idea of flashing, distinguishly seperated solos just vanished. It was later that the term "ancient art of weaving" appeared, but when I first heard of that, I knew exactly what they were talking about. Keith and Ronnie really lived in the zone of their own during the time.

And this was at the time when the new generation of guitar heroes started to appear, all those damn vanhalens, malmsteens etc. who took the guitar art into pure circus. Keith and Ronnie were the anti-thesis to all that.

Great post! I share both your experience and feelings. I started guitar back then and my band mates were Rush freaks - we definitely did not see things eye to eye. Crystal laser math precision vs. swinging blues-based rock & roll. I did force them to play Under My Thumb, though, and I did the exact replica of those Keith solos in LSTNT. They helped me get more technical, playing The Spirit of the Radio!

Posted by: sanQ ()
Date: May 28, 2013 04:50

I absolutely love what Ronnie played on the latest performance of No Expectations. It was a beautiful new line on the Hawaiian lap steel.

Posted by: skytrench ()
Date: May 28, 2013 05:09

Bo and Ronnie, they are having such fun that watching the video distracts me from the music!

video: [www.youtube.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-05-28 05:09 by skytrench.

Posted by: svt22 ()
Date: May 28, 2013 10:12

Mathijs
svt22
Mathijs
Palace Revolution 2000

Also - this whole notion of Wood being the great "Weaver" with Keith....
just listen to the solos on Ya-Yas "Little Queenie" - that is by far the best, most intricate weaving ever. "Rambler", "Carol", "Sympathy".

Carol and Queenie do not feature Taylor: the rhythm guitar is overdubbed by Richards. Sympathy is fantastic, but not weaving: Taylor and Richards play straight rhythm, and alternate the lead guitars.

Mathijs

Maybe Keith dubbed parts of his solo on Carol at best.. Taylor's rhythm part sounds genuine to me, and I'm not deaf.

Apparently, you're deaf. Check the GS outtakes of Carol and Quenie, and you'll hear that all of Taylor's parts where erased and overdubbed by Richards for Ya Ya's (note for Carol: not at the turn-arounds -Taylor's double stops are still there).

Mathijs

I suggest you make up your mind after al those years then, as it was recorded 44 years ago.smiling smiley Are you referring to your own post below: ------->

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

or to the next link, for what it is worth, see the Carol part. [www.rollingstonesnet.com]

If Keith dubbed some of Taylors parts on Carol, he did a bad job. I like the original best, and I'm not deaf.

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: May 28, 2013 10:47

svt22
Mathijs
svt22
Mathijs
Palace Revolution 2000

Also - this whole notion of Wood being the great "Weaver" with Keith....
just listen to the solos on Ya-Yas "Little Queenie" - that is by far the best, most intricate weaving ever. "Rambler", "Carol", "Sympathy".

Carol and Queenie do not feature Taylor: the rhythm guitar is overdubbed by Richards. Sympathy is fantastic, but not weaving: Taylor and Richards play straight rhythm, and alternate the lead guitars.

Mathijs

Maybe Keith dubbed parts of his solo on Carol at best.. Taylor's rhythm part sounds genuine to me, and I'm not deaf.

Apparently, you're deaf. Check the GS outtakes of Carol and Quenie, and you'll hear that all of Taylor's parts where erased and overdubbed by Richards for Ya Ya's (note for Carol: not at the turn-arounds -Taylor's double stops are still there).

Mathijs

I suggest you make up your mind after al those years then. Are you referring to your own post below: ------->

or to the next link, for what its worth, see the Carol part. [www.rollingstonesnet.com]

If Keith dubbed some of Taylors parts on Carol, he did a bad job. I like the original best, and I'm not deaf indeed.

It's quite dumb to take a post from 2008 to make a point. Yes, in 2008 we all thought there where no guitar overdubs in Ya Ya's, but when the outtakes where released in 2010 we found out LQ and Carol featured overdubbed rhythm guitars, most probably as Taylor's original parts wheren't tight enough. You where involved in all these discussions as well, so don't act so dumb.

[www.iorr.org]

[www.iorr.org]

[www.iorr.org]

Mathijs

Date: May 28, 2013 10:51

I'm not going to waist my time on that. I think Taylor did a fantastic rhythm guitar with the Stones back then. Something you will never accept.

Date: May 28, 2013 12:20

svt22
I'm not going to waist my time on that. I think Taylor did a fantastic rhythm guitar with the Stones back then. Something you will never accept.

I do accept that you think that Taylor did a fantastic rhtyhm guitar. I only disagree with your opinion.

Mathijs

Posted by: Eleanor Rigby ()
Date: May 28, 2013 14:13

a good example of Carol "weaving" from the '69 tour is the Altamont aud tape.
but this is a RW thread..back to the solos.

Posted by: guezeg ()
Date: May 28, 2013 15:50

Hi,

I don't want to add up to Taylor vs Wood soloing skills debate but I really need to speak when it comes to disparage Taylor for his rhythm guitar playing.

Carol and LQ on GYYYO are overdubbed ? fine. I'll take YCAGWYW in 1972. It's often praised (or criticized...) for the solo but for me the real magic starts before that, when Taylor adds little licks that just create a fantastic groove and leads to the climax.

Licks start at 40'50'', change at 41'54''and are started again after the solo at 45'20''.

video: [www.youtube.com]

Isn't that fantastic rhythm quitar ?

Posted by: RockinJive ()
Date: May 28, 2013 16:04

Mathijs
RockinJive
Mathijs
The greatest Ron Wood solo’s:

Midnight Rambler – MSG, June 27, 1975.
You Can’t Always Get What You Want – LA, July 13, 1975
Gimme Shelter – LA, July 13, 1975
Neighbours – studio version
Black Limousine – Hampton, December 18, 1981
Beast of Burden – Hampton, December 18, 1981
Wild Horses – Knebworth 1976
Sympathy for the Devil – LA, July 9, 1975
Love in Vain – Memphis, June 28, 1978

Mathijs

I guess you live in the past. They HAVE done a few more shows after 1981.

That's correct, they did the 1982 tour after 1981. After that I stopped listening.

Mathijs

You seem very ignorant. You live in the past and that is sad. Very closed minded.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-05-28 16:08 by RockinJive.

Posted by: roundnround ()
Date: May 28, 2013 16:24

Posted by: GravityBoy ()
Date: May 28, 2013 16:30

roundnround

Good weren't they!

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: May 28, 2013 16:52

RockinJive
Mathijs
RockinJive
Mathijs

Mathijs

That's correct, they did the 1982 tour after 1981. After that I stopped listening.

Mathijs

You seem very ignorant. You live in the past and that is sad. Very closed minded.

Stubborn, opinionated yes, but ignorant he is not, our Mathijs!grinning smiley

. Doxa

Date: May 28, 2013 17:16

RockinJive
Mathijs
RockinJive
Mathijs

Mathijs

Mathijs

And who are you?

Mathijs

Posted by: 1cdog ()
Date: May 28, 2013 17:20

CYHMK from MSG in 2002 was really good. Enjoyed it during the show that night and subsequent boots proved it was a darn good solo.

Posted by: Shawn20 ()
Date: May 28, 2013 17:49

Mathijs is one of my favorite posters on this board. His expertise on all things guitar always entertains me. We will agree to disagree about the Taylor vs. Wood debate. Ya Ya's and Brussells are the Rollings Stones to me. Still Life and I attended two of those shows - just seem ordinary in comparison. To each his own.

Favorite Wood solos - anything before he joined the Stones. I loved his Faces work - that distinctive tone was magnificent.

Date: May 28, 2013 18:12

Mathijs
RockinJive
Mathijs
RockinJive
Mathijs

Mathijs

Mathijs

And who are you?

Mathijs

Jeff Beck probably.

Posted by: DoomandGloom ()
Date: May 28, 2013 18:13

svt22
Mathijs
RockinJive
Mathijs
RockinJive
Mathijs

Mathijs

Mathijs

And who are you?

Mathijs

Jeff Beck probably.
Could be, jeff Beck is a pain in the butt..

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-05-28 18:29 by DoomandGloom.

Posted by: roby ()
Date: May 28, 2013 20:23

Well, IMO, like in Toronto 2002 (record solo intro played by the sax...), no guideline, no inspiration, only a succession of notes : Ronnie signature as too often. Painful exercise as suggested by his grimaces...

1cdog
CYHMK from MSG in 2002 was really good. Enjoyed it during the show that night and subsequent boots proved it was a darn good solo.

Posted by: JumpingKentFlash ()
Date: May 28, 2013 22:00

My fave has for a long time been the TD that was on a single in th mid 90s. The one that start with a piano.

JumpingKentFlash

Date: May 29, 2013 00:21

Ronnie's best?

Whip from Detroit 78
YCAGWYW Msg (Hold on tight) 75
Almost any take on Twenty Flight Rock 81
Hot Stuff paris 76
Undercover Atlantic City 89
Little Red Rooster El Mocambo 77

And many more.

Date: May 29, 2013 13:11

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: May 29, 2013 13:33

The Taylorities hate this, but Ronnie's solo in "Love In Vain" in TEXAS LIVE '78 is more than suitable to the feel of the song there, especially to Jagger's inspired raw vocals. The whole show, when finally seen properly, was a thrill to see (and unfortunately made my Vegas-era criticism way stronger, since seeing how incredible they were at in their prime), but that version, with Woodie's slide guitar, probably was the biggest surprise for me. Naturally, I was awere of it through the bootlegs, but then it really hit home hard.

- Doxa

Date: May 29, 2013 13:43

Doxa
The Taylorities hate this, but Ronnie's solo in "Love In Vain" in TEXAS LIVE '78 is more than suitable to the feel of the song there, especially to Jagger's inspired raw vocals. The whole show, when finally seen properly, was a thrill to see (and unfortunately made my Vegas-era criticism way stronger, since seeing how incredible they were at in their prime), but that version, with Woodie's slide guitar, probably was the biggest surprise for me. Naturally, I was awere of it through the bootlegs, but then it really hit home hard.

- Doxa

More than suitable? It's awesome grinning smiley

Posted by: andrewt ()
Date: May 29, 2013 16:56

Posted by: Cafaro ()
Date: April 17, 2014 18:02

I've been listening to the 1975-1976 tours and not to re-open old wounds but I simply love his live playing during 75-78.

His solo on YCAGWYW on Love You Live, while likely overdubbed or at least re-mixed, is outstanding. I also love the solo on Brown Sugar from the same disc.

I agree about Wild Horses from Knebworth as well.

His rhythm work on LSNT and CS Blues from Woodstock 78 is great to. I love it.

The solo(s) from the Faces I Wish It Would Rain always get me as well. Love it.

KR, dope, and booze ruined that boy. Such a shame

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: April 17, 2014 18:03

YCAGWYW off of love you live . that to me is ronnie's best solo !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-04-17 19:05 by TheGreek.

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 4 of 36

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1239
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home