Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4
Please, concert goers, get earplugs and wear them
Posted by: Bliss ()
Date: May 26, 2013 12:25

It's very worrying to read about people's hearing being affected during these recent concerts.

Speaking from experience, tinnitus is no picnic. For some, it is torture. And it is usually accompanied by hearing loss. Some tinnitus is temporary, but in most cases, the ringing in the ears is permanent.

If you wear decent earplugs, you will not miss anything. In fact, you will enjoy the concert more.

Re: Please, concert goers, get earplugs and wear them
Posted by: kowalski ()
Date: May 26, 2013 12:27

It's a fact that sound at live concerts gets louder and louder. Small clubs or arena.

Posted by: owlbynite ()
Date: May 26, 2013 12:29

Bliss
It's very worrying to read about people's hearing being affected during these recent concerts.

Speaking from experience, tinnitus is no picnic. For some, it is torture. And it is usually accompanied by hearing loss. Some tinnitus is temporary, but in most cases, the ringing in the ears is permanent.

If you wear decent earplugs, you will not miss anything. In fact, you will enjoy the concert more.

yes, worrying. sad smiley

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: May 26, 2013 12:36

And it doesn't happen at Slayer shows only :
a girl who attended the Toronto show last night reported here a severe ear trauma...

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: May 26, 2013 12:38

Correct, get yourself a pair of these "musician earplugs" : [www.amazon.com] for the grand total of $10 (or less).

I got some after being made half deaf at the Trabendo last year, they basically turn the level down without filtering out frequencies like standard earplugs would do. Wish I'd known about them years ago! It's too bad the sound seems to be very loud at the recent concerts, it was perfect at the O2, no earplugs needed.

PS - unless your name is dumbo get the blue version, the white ones are HUGE and yes I own a pair of both!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2013-05-26 13:16 by gotdablouse.

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: May 26, 2013 12:39

My feeling at the O2 was that the volume was adjusted for the older audience. The volume was significantly lower than any other concert or festival I have been to the last years.

Mathijs

Posted by: owlbynite ()
Date: May 26, 2013 12:46

But still loud enough to cause further damage to impaired hearing, sad smiley

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: May 26, 2013 12:53

owlbynite

Hearing damage only occurs at extremely high levels which are not achieved at any concert, or prolonged exposure to high levels, whereby prolonged exposure is hours per day over months or even years.

At today's concer volume levels there is no danger of hearing damage unless you put your head inside the Pa's speaker cabinet.

Mathijs

Posted by: svt22 ()
Date: May 26, 2013 12:59

Mathijs
owlbynite

Hearing damage only occurs at extremely high levels which are not achieved at any concert, or prolonged exposure to high levels, whereby prolonged exposure is hours per day over months or even years.

At today's concer volume levels there is no danger of hearing damage unless you put your head inside the Pa's speaker cabinet.

Mathijs

Can you please repeat that, I saw them in '73 ?

Date: May 26, 2013 13:17

Well even if no damage is done (that remains to be proven) it's very annoying to have ringing ears for days, these "musician earplugs" solve the problem for $10.

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: May 26, 2013 13:43

svt22
Mathijs
owlbynite

Mathijs

Can you please repeat that, I saw them in '73 ?

grinning smiley

Date: May 26, 2013 14:38

I have been using the foam ones since day one of concerts for me in 1989; but how are the musician ones different? I might look at some at guitar center today as I am going to look at keyboards and recording interfaces

Posted by: Monkeytonkman ()
Date: May 26, 2013 14:39

Bollocks

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: May 26, 2013 14:49

I've never considered the Stones to be particularly loud. Actually, one of my complaints is that they aren't loud enough.

Date: May 26, 2013 14:53

[email protected]
I have been using the foam ones since day one of concerts for me in 1989; but how are the musician ones different? I might look at some at guitar center today as I am going to look at keyboards and recording interfaces

You'll find the details on the Etymotic site but the idea is that they filter all frequencies in the same way so you keep both the high-end and low-end, which I've found to be pretty accurate. Think of them as a volume knob.

Posted by: Stoneswolf ()
Date: May 26, 2013 15:07

any earplugs specially recommended for children?

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: May 26, 2013 16:47

Stoneswolf
any earplugs specially recommended for children?

Kids use ear hats...I usually forget and stuff my ears full of napkins from the beer tent...it's a good look for me!

Posted by: Kurt ()
Date: May 26, 2013 17:05

gotdablouse
Correct, get yourself a pair of these "musician earplugs" : [www.amazon.com] for the grand total of $10 (or less).

I got some after being made half deaf at the Trabendo last year, they basically turn the level down without filtering out frequencies like standard earplugs would do. Wish I'd known about them years ago! It's too bad the sound seems to be very loud at the recent concerts, it was perfect at the O2, no earplugs needed.

PS - unless your name is dumbo get the blue version, the white ones are HUGE and yes I own a pair of both!

My 15 yr old son and I are going to Chicago.
I just bought these...
Thanks!

Posted by: Rokyfan ()
Date: May 26, 2013 17:50

Kurt
gotdablouse

My 15 yr old son and I are going to Chicago.
I just bought these...
Thanks!
Which color are the ones that filter out Chuck's keyboards?

Posted by: Powerage5 ()
Date: May 26, 2013 17:59

I didn't take my earplugs last night because I knew the odds were my $85's wouldn't be anywhere in the venue I'd need them. Lucked out and got pit, and it was REALLY loud on the barrier. Iron Maiden is my favorite band and I travel all over the world for them, and last night was as loud or louder than a Maiden gig on the barrier, totally didn't expect that. I've got some ringing right now, not too bad but definitely ringing.

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: May 26, 2013 18:55

I saw the May 18 show, sitting about mid-way back.

I've had ear-ringing (due to concerts) for over 30 years, so for the past 20 or so years, I always bring foam plugs, which will muffle the sound. It keeps me from having an "ear hangover" the next day.

I saw the May 18 show, sitting about mid-way back, and I put my plugs in at the beginning and then took them out because it didn't seem loud enough. And hey, this will most likely be the "last time."

After the show, my ears were ringing louder than they have in years. A whole new, higher frequency ringing. It may have gotten a little softer (or maybe I'm just used to it) but it's been there since the show. I can only blame myself.

This is why I think it's a huge mistake to bring kids to shows. If you're a parent, and you insist on bringing your children, you better equip them with the best ear protection available.

Otherwise, you are just being a bad parent. Yes. I said it. Get over it, and get your offspring some plugs. Or better yet, let them stay at home.

You have to take care of your kids.

As far as my ears.....a friend of mine used to say: "Too soon old, too late smart"

Posted by: mgshorr ()
Date: May 26, 2013 19:07

Bliss

Thanks for this. Did you see my post from the Anaheim sshow? I'm still ringing.....ugh

Date: May 26, 2013 19:09

Mathijs
owlbynite

Mathijs

This is entirely wrong.

Date: May 26, 2013 19:10

Anyone have the link to the girls post who got ear damage last night??

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: May 26, 2013 19:11

It's her : [www.iorr.org]

Posted by: NoCode0680 ()
Date: May 26, 2013 19:13

Bliss
Speaking from experience, tinnitus is no picnic. For some, it is torture.

I have a pretty small case of it, but it can still be very annoying. Mine is manageable as long as there's noise. If I'm in a room with a TV on, or an AC unit running, or basically anything to catch my ear's attention, I don't notice it. But if I'm in dead silence, the ringing is deafening. I have to sleep with a box fan next to the bed for the sound, and it works. I'd say the only time I ever notice it is when the power goes out. But the idea of it getting out of my control and just having it all the time, that would be torture.

Posted by: Woz ()
Date: May 26, 2013 19:23

I can't hear you.

Posted by: MILKYWAY ()
Date: May 26, 2013 19:43

This is especially important when a musician like Katy Parry is the opener.

Posted by: Beast ()
Date: May 26, 2013 19:53

Very helpful info & advice on this from Shug - an audiologist, so he should know.
Find it here:

[www.iorr.org]

Date: May 26, 2013 20:01

Beast
Very helpful info & advice on this from Shug - an audiologist, so he should know.
Find it here:

[www.iorr.org]

Good post. Shug knows what he's talking about.

Goto Page: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1872
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home